HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What you do as GM/Coach?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Jamie

vCash: 500
What you do as GM/Coach?

Allright, we have a whole bunch of people here that think they could do a better job as GM and Coach of this team right now, and mostly because of this one loss. So, from the GM perspective, what would you do with this team? And from the coaches perspective what would you do with this team? I'll take my own shot at it.

As GM:
1) Unfortanetly Mactavish is signed for 3 years, so if we did give him the boot, we'd have to sign a very cheap replacement as we'd still be paing Mactavish big bucks. No point in that. Instead I'd have a very long meeting telling him exactly what I want from him(I'll get more into that on the coaches side).

2) The seasons a wash, shop Salo and quickly, he may have value. He defenetly isn't worth of picking up his option next year. Not sure what we could get for him, but I'll hope for a 3rd rounder.

3) High end centerman. I don't know of Smith and Smyth could get us Lecavalier, but thats the kind of package I'd shop. Both would be of interest to a contender. Spezza would probably be my 2nd option if we can't get something from T-Bay. Just to overpay for the purposes of this exercise, I'll say I deal Smith and Smyth for Spezza and a 3rd.

4) Laraque may finally have value if he plays in a few more games straight. Good time to deal him. Get a young goalie. There's tons of teams with too much depth at that position. Top option for me is Noronen. Doubt they'd have interest in BG, but I'd try for him without giving any key players before anybody else (use guys like Chimera, Horcoff, Bishai, etc that could be of interest over there) Secondary options for me would be Ahonen, someone from Dallas (Bachashiu, Ellis, Stephen) or maybe a wildcard like Finley. This way we don't have to wait many years with one that we would draft. I'll pencil it in that we Ahonen for Horcoff and Laraque

5) Deal Oates for a pick. A 3rd would be nice.

6) Shine up my golf clubs, and make sure Rita gets a long look on the Oilers so I can decide to deal him or keep him in the offseason. Let him prove he doesn't belong if he really doesn't, rather than assume he doesn't.

7) Draft some snipers and go for boom or bust players.

Here's what my new roster would look like:
Torres-Spezza-Hemsky
Rita-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Isbister
Chimera-Stoll-Salmalainen (the perfect line to get Chimmer going IMO)

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Cross
Ulanov-Bergeron

Noronen
Conklin

Along with an extra 2nd and a couple 3rd rounders.

As Coach:
1) Asign players roles and let lines stick! I'll use the lines for my examples. Hemsky, you are the playmaker there. Look for Spezza, Spezza you score, Torres, you hit everybody and tuck in the garbage goals. Good job. Rita, you try and score goals. York and Dvo will look for you. The RIM line, hit people, and play good defense. You will have to watch other teams top lines very closely. Defense first. CSS, skate, skate and skate. You are our energy line. Play with tons of energy, both ends of the ice. I'm not going to sit any of you an entire period if you make one mistake, so go and have fun.

2) Simplify the powerplay, and once again, give players roles. For the most part, you should use the same units every game. Use a first unit the same as the first line. Use Semenov and Bergeron on the points. Torres is the garbage man, he's got the screen, now make smooth passes(which I'd work on lots in practice) and take one timers and hit the net(also work on)

3) Get one clear vision for what type of game the team plays! Personally, mine would be skate and hit. But if he wants to do transition game, or whatever, just as long as the players know. In mine, I'd have the players hit everybody in sight. Skate fast, and make quick changes. Roll 4 lines and the best players get their extra time on special teams.

Old
02-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Walsher

I trade Ryan Smyth + for Spezza or Havlat or Lacavalier or ?
I trade Jason Smith + Georges Laraque for Simon Gagne
I put Lynch and Woywitka in the lineup torgether
I stick with MacT because he is a good coach and firing him hurts badly financially.

Old
02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
windowlicker

Everyone here though agrees that theres no way in Any hell that we get Spezza, correct?

Old
02-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Everyone here though agrees that theres no way in Any hell that we get Spezza, correct?
No

Old
02-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Ok, I thought there'd be more chance of getting Spezza for Smyth and Smith than Vinny L. I know there's lots or talk about him being moved, but I kind of thought, that as a young team they'd want to much. Ottawa on the other hand, I would;ve assumed that they'd be very interested in dealing their 3rd line center for someone that would probably be 2nd line LW and someone that'd fit on their 2nd unit on defense. Ottawa has a good chance at cup, I thought they'd like this kind of trade. Guess that's probably just my opinion though. I'm not quite sure what there GM is thinking.

Old
02-01-2004, 09:40 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I trade Ryan Smyth + for Spezza or Havlat or Lacavalier or ?
I trade Jason Smith + Georges Laraque for Simon Gagne
I put Lynch and Woywitka in the lineup torgether
I stick with MacT because he is a good coach and firing him hurts badly financially.
mact is a good coach?
he would ruin spezza's career easily by making him become a checker.
also demote horcoff to the AHL forever.

Old
02-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Lowetide

The one thing I'm certain of is that I'm not qualified to be a coach or GM in the NHL. I can barely keep track of my roto baseball team.

imo Lowe should (privately or otherwise) bite the bullet on this season. This "we can still make it" stuff was wearing thin ten games ago, now it's futile. Lowe is sounding like the Iraqi information minister.

As of now (or at least if Calgary wins today), they'll be 10 points out. So, I think Lowe should:

1. Send Adam Oates to the pressbox until he can be dealt to a team he can help (I suspect no one will give much for him).

2. Rotate Conklin and Salo, with an eye to waving bye to Tommy in the summertime.

3. Callup MA Bergeron and waive Scott Ferguson. If he clears waivers, send him to the Roadrunners.

4. Trade Georges Laraque to Ottawa and add whatever is needed to get Vermette. Put Vermette at center between Ryan Smyth and Ales Hemsky for the rest of the season. For Sens fans who think giving up Vermette is too much, you don't need the regular season BG, you need him for what he can provide in the spring. And I'm not buying this "I left my heart in Edmonton" stuff, BG is a great person and Ottawa will love the guy.

5. Sign Jason Smith, and if it can't be done then send him away for a younger, less expensive version of himself.

6. Play Rita every game for the rest of the season.

7. Let the fans know that you're planning for next season, and that MacTavish is going to be here a long time. That all players are being evaluated, and that there will be changes.

8. Ask the media who are hounding the team to have a big cup of ****.

9. Go home and have a nice evening with the family. No one is going to die from this.

Old
02-01-2004, 09:58 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The one thing I'm certain of is that I'm not qualified to be a coach or GM in the NHL. I can barely keep track of my roto baseball team.

imo Lowe should (privately or otherwise) bite the bullet on this season. This "we can still make it" stuff was wearing thin ten games ago, now it's futile. Lowe is sounding like the Iraqi information minister.

As of now (or at least if Calgary wins today), they'll be 10 points out. So, I think Lowe should:

1. Send Adam Oates to the pressbox until he can be dealt to a team he can help (I suspect no one will give much for him).

2. Rotate Conklin and Salo, with an eye to waving bye to Tommy in the summertime.

3. Callup MA Bergeron and waive Scott Ferguson. If he clears waivers, send him to the Roadrunners.

4. Trade Georges Laraque to Ottawa and add whatever is needed to get Vermette. Put Vermette at center between Ryan Smyth and Ales Hemsky for the rest of the season. For Sens fans who think giving up Vermette is too much, you don't need the regular season BG, you need him for what he can provide in the spring. And I'm not buying this "I left my heart in Edmonton" stuff, BG is a great person and Ottawa will love the guy.

5. Sign Jason Smith, and if it can't be done then send him away for a younger, less expensive version of himself.

6. Play Rita every game for the rest of the season.

7. Let the fans know that you're planning for next season, and that MacTavish is going to be here a long time. That all players are being evaluated, and that there will be changes.

8. Ask the media who are hounding the team to have a big cup of ****.

9. Go home and have a nice evening with the family. No one is going to die from this.
Everything looks good. The "Salo" thing has almost become like the "Ranford" thing. Billy just had too much history and too many bad years on a bad team. A fresh start was needed. Maybe a fresh start in this case would also serve all parties well (Though personally I dont agree with that).

As well, I think MacT is too inflexible to accept all of the above suggestions (As positive as they would be). I dont think its a democracy when it comes to running the product on the ice. Lowe may have an idea for how this team should play, but I think overall its Craig's team. Now that it appears he has been tuned out by the players, some interesting times are ahead.

Old
02-01-2004, 11:09 PM
LawnDemon

as GM:
- fire coach, hire maurice
- trade smith
- trade smyth: not because i want to see him go or blame him... it's just time
- trade salo
- trade cross: he has been pretty good but i want young guys in his spot
- trade horcoff: please, for the love of god make him go away
- trade oates or make him PP coach
- return for above should be a goalie and a true center
- bring up woywitka/lynch and let them learn their way in the NHL for the next 30 games

as coach:
- play rita in smyth's spot
- play hemsky
- play torres
- play stoll
- start developing an actual system that combines defense with forechecking
- hold players accountable but do not punish growing pains
- use these lines:
isbister - york - dvorak
torres - ??? - hemsky
moreau - reasoner - pisani
rita - stoll - laraque

brewer - staios
semenov - ulanov
woywitka - lynch

???/conklin

prepare for the "post war" era by giving the future some experience NOW and by finally letting 1990 die.

Old
02-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Mizral

Here's what I do:

#1 - Goaltending is the biggest change that is needed, so here's what I do:

First off, I make a move and acquire a goaltender out there. One who is ready to start next year preferably. The guy I go get it is none other than Ari Ahonen. Move Jason Smith for Ari Ahonen. Ahonen has franchise-goaltender potential, and would almost certainly put some stability between the pipes for the first time in 3 years. For now, Salo is the starter with Ahonen backing up and Conklin in the AHL. At the end of the season, Salo is cut loose, Ahonen stars, Conklin could backup, Deslauriers is promoted to Toronto.

#2 - Coaching is the second biggest problem, but perhaps the hardest one to address.

Immediatly I fire Craig MacTavish. I put Kevin Lowe as GM/Coach of the team until the end of the season. Buy-out MacTavish's contract (about $2 million or so) and just chew the losses down. In the off-season, I hire one of three men. My preferance, and I suspect he may be available, is Joel Quenneville. Failing Q, I hire one of Kevin Constantine or Paul Maurice. For the sake of this little excersize, I'll say Kevin Constantine.

#3 - The third biggest problem will be on defense, especially with Jason Smith gone.

I will immediatly assume that I have 2 of 4 top 4 defenseman in Brewer and Staios. I will play Brewer as my #1 left defenseman, and Staios on the second pairing as the right defenseman. I keep Semenov and Ulanov together, and call up Marc-Andre Bergeron for the remainder of this season, and send down Scott Ferguson. My blueline until the start of the next season is Brewer/Cross, Bergeron/Staios, Ulanov/Semenov. Now I am not sure on Cory Cross' contract status, but I am going to guess he has one more year left. For the offseason, Woywitka is called up, and I resign Ulanov to one more year. I move Cory Cross for literally anything I can get. I keel Ulanov and Semenov as a pairing for my bottom line. I have saved a bit of money here, and I'm going to make a free agent signing. One of Mike Rathje or Alexei Zhitnik I would give around $2.5 - $3.5 million bucks. You might ask how the Oilers could afford it, but keep in mind, I have moved Smith already, let Cross go, and my only addition on the blueline so far is Woytika, who make chicken feed compared to those guys.

My blueline is now (going to say I picked up Zhitnik here, not Rathje)

Brewer/Zhitnik
Woytika/Staios
Ulanov/Semenov
Bergeron would be my primary callup.

On the power play, Brewer and Zhitnik would stick together, and on the second unit, any of the remaining 4 guys could be mixed and matched. On the PK, I play Brewer/Zhitnik, and Ulanov/Staios, and try to keep the two most inexperienced defensemen off of the PK.

#4 - At forward, I don't make too many changes, but I do make a few.

First off, I will immediatly assume that I have a 1st line in Smyth/York/Hemsky. That is my first line, I'm not going to touch it.

My second line is going to be Torres and Dvorak on the wings, but I need a centreman. I'll get back to this one.

Third line is RPM, aint gonna touch it.

The fourth line is going to be Stoll centering the line, with Tony Salmelainen on the left wing.

My roster movements are going to be moving up Salmo up to play with the big club, but more importantly, there is a need for a 2nd line centreman. How do I solve this? Rather than make a trade for a kid, I'm going to do two quick things. First off, I'm going to move Brad Isbister for a prospect or a pick (doesn't really matter which) and I'll trade Georges Laraque. If I can't move Laraque, I put him on waivers. Someone will take him. I have just taken off around $3.5 million off the payroll. I'm going to use that money and sign one of Mike Ricci, Craig Conroy, Curtis Brown (is he a UFA?) or Stu Barnes (is he a UFA) for anywhere between $1.5 to $3 million (depending on the player, and how much he asks for). The Oilers dreadfully need leadership, and these guys can provide it.

So then, my lineup looks like this so far (using Ricci & Zhitnik as my guinea pigs):

Ryan Smyth/Mike York/Ales Hemsky
Raffi Torres/Mike Ricci/Radek Dvorak
Ethan Moreau/Marty Reasoner/Fernando Pisani
Tony Salmelainnen/Jared Stoll/****

**** denotes a random enforcer plucked off waivers. However, better yet, the Oilers could move a prospect (Rita perhaps) for Jody Shelly. Shelly is a cheaper, better version of Georges Laraque. Can't play as well, but is one of the last 'true' enforcers arond. So let's say it's Jody Shelly.

At the draft, if need be, I move up (using Edmonton's 1st and 2nd or 3rd round picks) and select Lauri Tukonen at the draft. Tukonen is a gritty finnish sniper with great hands. With the 2nd 1st round pick, I'd select a goaltender. In this case, let's say it's Devyn Dubynk.

So overall, here are my depth charts:

LW: Smyth, Torres, Moreau, Salmelainnen, Tukonen
C: York, Ricci, Reasoner, Stoll, Niinimaki, Bishai, Pouliot
RW: Hemsky, Dvorak, Pisani, Shelly

D: Zhitnik, Brewer, Staios, Semenov, Ulanov, Woywitka, Bergeron, Lynch (idealy, some more depth could be added here, as well as perhaps one more top 4 defenseman, or an improvement on Ulanov if you don't want to resign him)

G: Ahonen, Conklin, Valliquette, Deslauriers (badly needs a better backup, could get one via waivers perhaps).

All together, my lineup roughly costs $29 - 30 million, this is not including RFA increases, which no doubt will push the salary up another couple of million. So all in all, I'm expecting a salary of about $32 million, after a suitable backup is procured. I'm also factoring in that a guy like Tukonen will probobly get no more than around $1 million, due to guys like him almost assuredly being signed after a CBA gets hashed out, in which case no doubt the rookie salaries will be under control (one of the biggest issues in the CBA will be rookie salary bonuses being a thing of the past).

I think this team really works, but like I said, it needs a better backup. I'm thinking of a guy like Johan Hedberg would be perfect, surely the Canucks will let him go and make room for Alex Auld anyways.

What do you guys think?

Old
02-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Here's what I do:

#1 - Goaltending is the biggest change that is needed, so here's what I do:

First off, I make a move and acquire a goaltender out there. One who is ready to start next year preferably. The guy I go get it is none other than Ari Ahonen. Move Jason Smith for Ari Ahonen. Ahonen has franchise-goaltender potential, and would almost certainly put some stability between the pipes for the first time in 3 years. For now, Salo is the starter with Ahonen backing up and Conklin in the AHL. At the end of the season, Salo is cut loose, Ahonen stars, Conklin could backup, Deslauriers is promoted to Toronto.

#2 - Coaching is the second biggest problem, but perhaps the hardest one to address.

Immediatly I fire Craig MacTavish. I put Kevin Lowe as GM/Coach of the team until the end of the season. Buy-out MacTavish's contract (about $2 million or so) and just chew the losses down. In the off-season, I hire one of three men. My preferance, and I suspect he may be available, is Joel Quenneville. Failing Q, I hire one of Kevin Constantine or Paul Maurice. For the sake of this little excersize, I'll say Kevin Constantine.

#3 - The third biggest problem will be on defense, especially with Jason Smith gone.

I will immediatly assume that I have 2 of 4 top 4 defenseman in Brewer and Staios. I will play Brewer as my #1 left defenseman, and Staios on the second pairing as the right defenseman. I keep Semenov and Ulanov together, and call up Marc-Andre Bergeron for the remainder of this season, and send down Scott Ferguson. My blueline until the start of the next season is Brewer/Cross, Bergeron/Staios, Ulanov/Semenov. Now I am not sure on Cory Cross' contract status, but I am going to guess he has one more year left. For the offseason, Woywitka is called up, and I resign Ulanov to one more year. I move Cory Cross for literally anything I can get. I keel Ulanov and Semenov as a pairing for my bottom line. I have saved a bit of money here, and I'm going to make a free agent signing. One of Mike Rathje or Alexei Zhitnik I would give around $2.5 - $3.5 million bucks. You might ask how the Oilers could afford it, but keep in mind, I have moved Smith already, let Cross go, and my only addition on the blueline so far is Woytika, who make chicken feed compared to those guys.

My blueline is now (going to say I picked up Zhitnik here, not Rathje)

Brewer/Zhitnik
Woytika/Staios
Ulanov/Semenov
Bergeron would be my primary callup.

On the power play, Brewer and Zhitnik would stick together, and on the second unit, any of the remaining 4 guys could be mixed and matched. On the PK, I play Brewer/Zhitnik, and Ulanov/Staios, and try to keep the two most inexperienced defensemen off of the PK.

#4 - At forward, I don't make too many changes, but I do make a few.

First off, I will immediatly assume that I have a 1st line in Smyth/York/Hemsky. That is my first line, I'm not going to touch it.

My second line is going to be Torres and Dvorak on the wings, but I need a centreman. I'll get back to this one.

Third line is RPM, aint gonna touch it.

The fourth line is going to be Stoll centering the line, with Tony Salmelainen on the left wing.

My roster movements are going to be moving up Salmo up to play with the big club, but more importantly, there is a need for a 2nd line centreman. How do I solve this? Rather than make a trade for a kid, I'm going to do two quick things. First off, I'm going to move Brad Isbister for a prospect or a pick (doesn't really matter which) and I'll trade Georges Laraque. If I can't move Laraque, I put him on waivers. Someone will take him. I have just taken off around $3.5 million off the payroll. I'm going to use that money and sign one of Mike Ricci, Craig Conroy, Curtis Brown (is he a UFA?) or Stu Barnes (is he a UFA) for anywhere between $1.5 to $3 million (depending on the player, and how much he asks for). The Oilers dreadfully need leadership, and these guys can provide it.

So then, my lineup looks like this so far (using Ricci & Zhitnik as my guinea pigs):

Ryan Smyth/Mike York/Ales Hemsky
Raffi Torres/Mike Ricci/Radek Dvorak
Ethan Moreau/Marty Reasoner/Fernando Pisani
Tony Salmelainnen/Jared Stoll/****

**** denotes a random enforcer plucked off waivers. However, better yet, the Oilers could move a prospect (Rita perhaps) for Jody Shelly. Shelly is a cheaper, better version of Georges Laraque. Can't play as well, but is one of the last 'true' enforcers arond. So let's say it's Jody Shelly.

At the draft, if need be, I move up (using Edmonton's 1st and 2nd or 3rd round picks) and select Lauri Tukonen at the draft. Tukonen is a gritty finnish sniper with great hands. With the 2nd 1st round pick, I'd select a goaltender. In this case, let's say it's Devyn Dubynk.

So overall, here are my depth charts:

LW: Smyth, Torres, Moreau, Salmelainnen, Tukonen
C: York, Ricci, Reasoner, Stoll, Niinimaki, Bishai, Pouliot
RW: Hemsky, Dvorak, Pisani, Shelly

D: Zhitnik, Brewer, Staios, Semenov, Ulanov, Woywitka, Bergeron, Lynch (idealy, some more depth could be added here, as well as perhaps one more top 4 defenseman, or an improvement on Ulanov if you don't want to resign him)

G: Ahonen, Conklin, Valliquette, Deslauriers (badly needs a better backup, could get one via waivers perhaps).

All together, my lineup roughly costs $29 - 30 million, this is not including RFA increases, which no doubt will push the salary up another couple of million. So all in all, I'm expecting a salary of about $32 million, after a suitable backup is procured. I'm also factoring in that a guy like Tukonen will probobly get no more than around $1 million, due to guys like him almost assuredly being signed after a CBA gets hashed out, in which case no doubt the rookie salaries will be under control (one of the biggest issues in the CBA will be rookie salary bonuses being a thing of the past).

I think this team really works, but like I said, it needs a better backup. I'm thinking of a guy like Johan Hedberg would be perfect, surely the Canucks will let him go and make room for Alex Auld anyways.

What do you guys think?
Whither Shawn Horcoff?

Old
02-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Whither Shawn Horcoff?
Waiver draft, or move him for a pick.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:00 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Horcoff shows enough promise to keep him around. I wouldn't give up on him yet...everyone is so quick to forget the promise he showed last season.

Anyways, I don't think there should be an earnest push for a true #1 centerman until Mikhnov and Pouliot have a chance to grab it.

I also think some of you over-rate the trade value of some of your higher-paid veterans. Smith won't fetch Ahonen! I also don't think Edmonton will be able to compete for many UFAs. Ricci *and* Zhitnik? Doubtful.

Anyways, here's my plan:

Ship out Brewer, who is not working out in Edmonton. You'd think NYI would welcome him back, so I'd do something like Brewer for Bates, Asham, and Cairns. This improves the Islanders blueline and allows them to dump salary, so I would think Mike Milbury would be all over it. The Oilers pick up some salary, but I'll be dumping more in the following trade...

To COL: Jason Smith, Brad Isbister
To EDM: Martin Skoula, 2nd round pick

I'd deal Georges Laraque for a pick, and go after a cheaper, better enforcer. Jody Shelley is one option, as Mizral suggested...I'd also throw Jeremy Stevenson into the mix. I'd also try to pull Jason York out of Nashville as a replacement for Smith. I'd offer up Rita for him, which I think NAS would easily do. Jason Smith earns $2 million per, too, but Anaheim is paying half that for the rest of his contract, and I think he's an upgrade on Smith. He's a better skater, that's for sure.

I'd move Oates for a pick/futures too, and waive Ferguson...the only UFA I would go after in the summer of 2004 is a veteran goalie, like Garth Snow, or Johan Hedberg (my personal choice). More importantly, I'd try to get all three of Alexei Mikhnov, Marc-Antoine Pouliot and Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers under contract. At the entry draft I'd try to grab a potential #1 defenceman. It probably won't be Cam Barker, but it won't be too far off from him, either.

So, the lineup heading into next season looks something like this (with Hedberg and Stevenson as my examples)...

Smyth-Bates-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Stevenson-Stoll-Asham
Ex: Chimera, Horcoff

Staios-Semenov
York-Skoula
Cross-Cairns
Ex: Ulanov, Bergeron

Hedberg/Conklin in net, Deslauriers and Valiquette down in Toronto

I like Shawn Bates between Smyth and Hemsky because he's a fast, gritty versatile forward who is excellent defensively and an under-rated passer. He won't bring a lot of offense, but he will allow Smyth and Hemsky to play risky and creative offensive hockey.

I think Martin Skoula will benefit from a change of scenery and more minutes...being buried behind a depth chart like Colorado's will kill a prospect's development.

The main thing I like about what I've done is the low payroll - it drops by like $5 million. This means that if a younger guy challenges for a roster spot ahead of schedule (and Edmonton has a boatload of guys who *might* do this - Woywitka, Mikhnov, Salmaleinen, Deslauriers, Pouliot) you could very easily move some veterans instead of being hamstrung with contracts like the ones Salo and Smith got.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Oi'll say!

LW:

York
Torres
Moreau
Rita
Chimera

Gone:

Smyth
Isbister (to rw)

RW:

Dvorak
Hemsky
Isbister
Pisani
Salmo

Gone:

Laraque

Center

Someone we don't have yet
Reasoner
Horcoff
Stoll

Defense

Staios
Cross
Ulanov
Semenov
Ferguson
Bergeron
Lynch

Gone:

Smith
Brewer

I'd only trade Brewer if we could get a #1 center in some kind of straight across or package deal. I don't think we can make a strong enough bid for a c with just the two Smths and BG.

Goalies

A starter we don't have yet
Conklin

Gone:

Tommy

Out:

Brewer $2.5M
Smith $3M
Smyth $3.5M
Salo $4M
Laraque $1M

$14M

:mad: If we weren't a small market team this would all be different.

In:

#1 Center
Starting Goalie
#1 d-man

Old
02-02-2004, 03:59 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
ya, it's easy to say, but to actually do all this FA signing and trading for youth is ALOT harder. However, Tommy's option won't be picked up because HE IS NOT a $4 million goalie. For net, I think one of two things would be optimal:

1)Turn down Tommy's option and then offer him a two year deal paying him 1.5 million/year. Very possible/likely that Tommy balks at this.
2)Say bye to Salo and go out and trade a second rounder for Jani Hurme. I'm a BIG Jani fan - he's shown he's a good goalie, but has NEVER gotten a chance to grab a starter job (stuck behind Lalime and Luongo) and he's also shown that he can play at a high level and in big games at the Olympics.

As for the talk about trading the Sm"i/y"ths if we do - I can't believe people are saying they'd rather have Vinny L. I'd take Jason Spezza every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Mizral

The only problem with Jani Hurme is that his health is in doubt. There are whispers about cancer, and his back injury is terrible.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:39 AM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

First got to say it, the knowledge on this board is awesome. Love it.

IMO , the sorry state the Oilers find themselves shouldn't really surprise anyone.
I know most will comment about hindsight, but Comrie was a gold-digger (talented but a gold-digger all the same).
Without the Comrie fiasco, the Oilers would still be in the playoff run.
That said, I want players who want to play for the Oil like Smyth and Niinimaa
Smyth is more value to the team than not. It more like he had a off year because being juggled
around. You still have to ask yourself why he wasn't allowed time to develop some line-chemistry with York and Dvorak.
The simple answer is that MacT has no system and juggling the lines is all hes got.

These short term changes won't break the Oilers budget.
1. MacT must go as head coach. Money is already spent so, he becomes Pk coach.
I would replace him with with Sutter if Chicago lets him go...Hows that for Rivary!
2. Let our best prospects play NHL icetime Now. Rita, Salmelainen and Lynch should stick and we should tolerate their learning curve. Look at the chances Cleary had.
3. George (personable guy), but after seeing Kings Laperiere talk about standing up when your star
players get stomped on), I want someone like him instead. Goodbye George to Montreal for a prospect. BG shouldn't complain much about that.
4. Most are saying trade Smith now, I would rather wait and see what he negotiates for. His
value is not going to disappear overnite and He is our best Dman still. But if have to;then get back Janne
5. Can't wait for the draft because we stand a really good chance at Tukonen or Picard and Valabik
6. The only way we are going to get a first line center is, face it, thru the draft.
7. In order to make room for Rita, Salmelainen and Lynch, trade Chimera, and Ferguson.
I am a big Bergeron supporter, but he needs AHL time still. same goes for Woyitka, Luoma
8. I actually wonder if its possible to have Oates contract changed to work as a PP coach,
(Keep both Simpson and Oates in this capacity for the remainer of the year)
9. Trade Salo (too inconsistent, Star one week and next week his concentration is shot).

For the remainder of this year
after York and Reasoner are back:
Smyth York Dvorak
Isbister Reasoner Hemsky
Moreau Horcoff Laperriere/Pisani
Torres Stoll Rita/Salmelainen

Brewer - (Smith or Niinimaa)
Staios Cross
Semenov - Ulanov
Lynch
Hedburg
Conklin

Old
02-02-2004, 06:30 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Okay, time to whip out the drawing board again, here we go! I'm the GM.

1. Craig Mac-Donald-ish, YOU'RE FIRED!
2. Suitable smart coach (i.e. Maurice, Nolan, Robinson, Ludzik, whoever interviews best) YOU'RE HIRED!
3. Ryan Smyth, Jani Rita, Jason Smith to TAMPA for Vincent Lecavalier and Dmitry Afanasenkov.
4. Shawn Horcoff and Georges Laraque to OTT for Antoine Vermette.
5. Adam Oates to Detroit or other contender for a late draft pick.
6. Draft pick to St. Louis for Brent Johnson
7. Tommy Salo to anyone for a late draft pick.
8. Recall Tony Salmelainen and Marc-Andre Bergeron
9. Put Scott Ferguson on waivers.
10. Draft pick to Atlanta for J.L. Grande-Pierre

Dvorak-Lecavalier-Hemsky
York-Reasoner-Torres
Isbister-Stoll-Moreau
Salmelainen-Vermette-Chimera
Pisani

Ulanov-Semenov
Staios-Bergeron
Brewer-Cross
G-Pierre

Conklin/Johnson

Blech....this situation is kinda bleak, I'm not sure I even like that, and we have at least two key injuries to guys that are essential to that lineup, not good.

I've done better work, and maybe we could get Vinny for less than I offered, then use Smith to pick up a better young d-man, would all depend on what I could get. I'd also like to move Isbister, but am really not sure of his value. Same goes for Brewer.

Additions to this? Edits? Cause I'm not too happy with this myself.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:29 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Well, Spezza will need the over pay that Vinny L. would so go after the superior Spezza!!! I question how much other NHL hockey you watch beside the Oilers, because if you dont' like Salo and how he plays and how he looks, then you'll try to sneek a gun into rexall after watching Johnson for a month.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well, Spezza will need the over pay that Vinny L. would so go after the superior Spezza!!! I question how much other NHL hockey you watch beside the Oilers, because if you dont' like Salo and how he plays and how he looks, then you'll try to sneek a gun into rexall after watching Johnson for a month.
I wouldn't want Johnson. He was just waived by St. Louis.

02-02-2004, 08:42 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Money saved, younger, better fundamentals, and acquirable for cheap. Other young goalies available as well, just picked Johnson based on past performance. I'm not really concerned with what St. Louis did, they had Divis and wanted him there.

Question: Spezza over Vinny, are you sure that wouldn't require MORE overpay?

Old
02-02-2004, 08:47 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

perhaps it would, but the fact that we have something that fits better with the Senators makes it seem more reasonable. I think that the Senators would be more willing to give up Spezza in order to get Smyth then T'bay would to get him. I mean it's a simple matter of how bad each team could use him and how much of a difference he'd make. Not to mention, the Lighting wouldn't exactly have another guy waiting for top six minutes now with Svitov gone. I think that Sydor trade was simply an exclamation mark that Vinny IS NOT going anywhere.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:44 PM
copperandblue

Just to throw my opinion into the mix;

I actually like this team and I think the majority of problems this year come down to two things (coaching NOT being one of them).

The biggest problems have been the lack of a top line center and consistant goaltending AND both of those things directly relate to the Oilers two biggest statistical problems. The PP and PK.

I don't want this to come accross as bashing Salo because I think he is still capable and I think he has done some good things for this team. That said, the consistancy he once brought and the top notch game that this team has always depended on just simply has been there for the last year.

When the team was entertaining us with the struggling PK, I often thought that the goalie (both Salo and Conklin) looked beaten even before the other team was set up. There just didn't seem to be the sharpness that you should expect from a NHL starter- they seemed to have no confidence in the team. A goalie has the ability to bring confidence back to a struggling PK by coming up with a 5 bell save once in a while when the rest of the team is struggling but we haven't seen that by either goalie this year.

The PP is lacking that one centerman that can control the puck and read the play. A guy that knows when to dish and most importantly when to shoot. A guy that can direct the traffic on the ice. Oates was supposed to be that guy but clearly hasn't. However that isn't the end of the world because he was never supposed to be here any longer than this season and the team certainly isn't being built around him.

Currently the Oilers are 10.5% on the PP (24 goals in 228 attempts) and 79.7% on the PK (49 ga in 242 situations).

If they were 15th (very realistic in my opinion) with the same number of opportunities for and against then the team would be 15.7% on the PP (36 goals) and 84% on the PK (39 goals against).

That's a difference of 10 additional saves by the goalie and 12 addition pp goals generated by a PP quarterback.

That would also move the Oilers from a -6 as a team +/- to +16. How many one goal games have the Oilers lost this year?

Further to that, it was hoped that Oates would provide some offence but it has never materialized. Right now he has 7 pts. If the Oilers had a center that was scoring even .6 pts/game (a modest amount for a top or top two cenetr) that 7 becomes an additional 25 pts (or 32 total to this point in the season). That would be a huge difference.

Then for the goaltending. If Salo was top 30 in save % (using 30th ranked .91%) the team would currently have 13 less goals against (based on the same number of shots).

So basically what I would do is keep most of the roster that's already here. Address the goaltending and a center and see what the team can really do.
I think there are some spare parts/ role players that can be moved and some prospects that could also be moved without hurting the club if need be.

My line up based on who is currently with the org. would be;

Smyth ??? Isbister
Torres York Dvorak
Chimera/Rita Reasoner Hemsky
Moreau Stoll Laraque/Horcoff

Smith Brewer
Staios Woywitka
Semenov Ulanov/Lynch

???
Conklin

Tradeable - Pisani, Salo, Oates, Cross, Ferguson

I think I would have a close eye on Isbister for the first half of next year and if he doesn't impress on a consistant basis then look to move him.

I don't know who I would go after at this point for a goaltender or a center but I think the Goalie market is flooded enough that a guy could be had for cheap (either lower trade value or lesser expensive F/A).

For the center position, I don't think the team needs (although it would be nice) a top 10 player but a guy that could give you a 60 pt year with still enough youth that a little more development isn't out of the question. I trust Lowe and his scouts to find a guy like that because he seems to have done a decent job of it in the past.

I would build the team a little different than we traditionally see.

Normally a team seems to be;
Line #1 - all offence - top talent
Line #2 - decent offence - more responsible defensively
Line #3 - all defence - the odd bit of offence
Line #4 - grit and energy

I would like to see;
Line #2
Line #2
Line #2
Combination of Line #3 / #4

If you can throw 3 lines out that have decent offensive capabilities and reliable defensively then anyone of them can play against a top opponent or capitalize on their lesser talent. The 4th line could do a good job of checking if need be, has size for some energy and depending on the opponent, you play either Georges or Horcoff.

Just my opinion but the sky isn't falling in on this team.... just this season

Old
02-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Mizral

I find it astounding that people still think Isbister is a top 6 player. The guy was on a small hot streak, sure, but he's got all of, what, 16 points on the year? Those are 3rd/4th line numbers!

Old
02-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Digger12

c & b, I agree with most of what you're saying. However, IMO the glaring lack of a dman that could man the PP point and carry the biscuit up the ice has been even more damaging to the PP than lack of an elite center. Bergeron has the tools, but he would get the yips whenever the puck got on his stick back there. Maybe next year he'll be better.

As for a goalie and center, all I can say is that it's one thing to identify the problem...it's a whole other matter to address the problem. The Oilers have had these issues for nearly two years now. Salo has struggled since that puck went off his head/rumoured personal problems (take your pick)...last year we didn't have a 2nd line center; this year we have no 1st line center. Yet here we are in february 2004, and Salo still has a sub-.900 save % and according to MacT:

"You analyse the losses, we played OK, but Tommy has been outplayed by the opposition's goaltender. It's tough to overcome that."

I know we were pretty much stuck with him sink or swim this year due to his contract, it's just unfortunate that he couldn't rebound like we hoped. No team will touch him now, he'll likely be gone with no assets coming back.

Two years ago many people were waiting expectedly for our Dopita/York 2nd line combo to work some magic and have instant chemistry...20-odd games later, Dopita was bought out. This year, Oates was brought out of the freezer and defrosted; unfortunately for us, he had freezer burn.

This organization has my confidence when it comes to acquiring assets...addressing needs, that's another story.

Closed Thread