HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hossa thought he'd go to Montreal

Old
03-02-2008, 04:08 PM
DrMailloux

vCash: 500
Hossa thought he'd go to Montreal

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/atl080227.html

Quote:
Hossa was sitting in his hotel room at the Marriott Chateau Champlain in Montreal when at 2:53pm ET, he found out he was sent to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I was waiting for Montreal," Hossa told the Journal-Constitution.
TheFourthPeriod.com

, we were waiting for you too Marian ! you guys think we could sign him this summer ?

Honestly i was kinda in shock and mad at gainey after the trade deadline, i really thought we were finally getting our star player but hey 1-2 days later i already forgot about Hossa. I don't think we have what it takes to bring the cup back but i like our chance, its definatly our best shot at it since 1993.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post

TheFourthPeriod.com

, we were waiting for you too Marian ! you guys think we could sign him this summer ?

Honestly i was kinda in shock and mad at gainey after the trade deadline, i really thought we were finally getting our star player but hey 1-2 days later i already forgot about Hossa. I don't think we have what it takes to bring the cup back but i like our chance, its definatly our best shot at it since 1993.

And Kovy isn't one??? He's in the league's top 20 in points!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:15 PM
the goalie man 31

I definitely think we can sign him over the summer. I thought Gainey did a good job though at the deadline, we didn't need to waste away that many players. Adding Higgins was way too much. Good job on Gainey's part. Who cares anyway? He's injured

the goalie man 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:15 PM
The Polak*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I guess that means Ribiero is an even bigger star

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Ribeiro's star was too bright for Montreal. Same with Hainsey.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
tinyzombies

well, now we know he wants to play here. if he's serious, he'll go UFA and do it.

montreal should be more attractive to him now because we didn't give up any assets to get HIM.

by next year, we should be at Ottawa's level.... FINALLY. I still don't believe we're there yet.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post

TheFourthPeriod.com

I think he might go to Phoenix (if they do some damage in the playoffs) but I sure hope he'll sign here

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
ari1160

i know Hossa kept saying i thought i was going to Montreal. on all the interview i heard every single one of them he said Montreal.
UFA - Hossa to Montreal this summer.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Erika

bahhh, the guy that Gainey should've went to was Brad Richards...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
yea but Richards didnt wanted to come to habs.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
nas26

Gainey is probably biding his time until next year when Lecavalier's situation with the Lightning clears itself up a bit. I am sure he is already thinking about the possibility of luring him out of Tampa Bay.

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas26 View Post
Gainey is probably biding his time until next year when Lecavalier's situation with the Lightning clears itself up a bit. I am sure he is already thinking about the possibility of luring him out of Tampa Bay.
The timing is atrocious

If Vinny was UFA at this years july 1st, id say we have a pretty good chance at signing him, since we know gainey went almost max money on BRIERE, i can guarantee gainey would go MAX money for Lecavalier, and Lecavalier would sign, if it was nashville or pheonix, if you get offered max money, your gonna sign, and i think we have an edge with that, especialy with our team surging and he has the possibility of being a god

HOWever, thats not this year but after next year Lecav is slated to be a free agent, and thats just too much time for tampa NOT to sign him, so i really dont think its gonna happen, but it would be nice, after next year alone, we have 9 million freed up from kovalev and koivu that we could throw at someone.

IT IS nice to see that it seems Hossa wouldnt mind signing here in montreal , i dont see why we wouldnt have as good a shot as anyone else

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
nas26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
The timing is atrocious

If Vinny was UFA at this years july 1st, id say we have a pretty good chance at signing him, since we know gainey went almost max money on BRIERE, i can guarantee gainey would go MAX money for Lecavalier, and Lecavalier would sign, if it was nashville or pheonix, if you get offered max money, your gonna sign, and i think we have an edge with that, especialy with our team surging and he has the possibility of being a god

HOWever, thats not this year but after next year Lecav is slated to be a free agent, and thats just too much time for tampa NOT to sign him, so i really dont think its gonna happen, but it would be nice, after next year alone, we have 9 million freed up from kovalev and koivu that we could throw at someone.

IT IS nice to see that it seems Hossa wouldnt mind signing here in montreal , i dont see why we wouldnt have as good a shot as anyone else

It is true that Tampa has a large window the get him locked up, especially with Richards off the books, but he will have to still be enjoying it there to want to stay. If he doesn't like the way things are going there, he might just say **** it, play next year out, and start over. I know there have been a lot of rumours suggesting that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal, but until I hear it directly from him in so many words, I'm not completely buying it. I am pretty sure the guy grew up a Habs fan, and the idea of playing for them, in their centennial year no less, must be something he has thought about.

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
No. Where did you get that? He actually said, ON CAMERA, that Feaster didn't approach him for a trade with Montreal, probably because Feaster didn't want to trade him in the conference. He didn't make a list and his agreement was on a trade proposal basis.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Stop mentioning that little **** name.......I hate him! What a puke....

Mats NAslund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Guillemin

I sure hope we don't offer him a massive contract. Kovalev wil bring more to the table than Hossa does until age starts to catch up with him, and he won't be worth the 8 M per season he gets, at least.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:46 PM
kdawg3522

Just don't boo Hossa when we play the 'burgh. Until he signs a contract with any other team, let's pamper him up for Montreal.

kdawg3522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg3522 View Post
Just don't boo Hossa when we play the 'burgh. Until he signs a contract with any other team, let's pamper him up for Montreal.
So we can kill our payroll flexibility and the ability to resign all our young RFAs when Komisarek, Plekanec, and the Kostitsyns merit large raises?

No thanks.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

So did I.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
A couple of days ago I posted something that surprised me when I realized it. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the players who was a UFA last year, or who was on the trading block at the deadline this week, has FEWER points than Kovalev!

Every one! Briere, Drury, Jokinen, Tanguay, Hossa, Gomez, Smyth, Richards, even Emery.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas26 View Post
It is true that Tampa has a large window the get him locked up, especially with Richards off the books, but he will have to still be enjoying it there to want to stay. If he doesn't like the way things are going there, he might just say **** it, play next year out, and start over. I know there have been a lot of rumours suggesting that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal, but until I hear it directly from him in so many words, I'm not completely buying it. I am pretty sure the guy grew up a Habs fan, and the idea of playing for them, in their centennial year no less, must be something he has thought about.
I also dont beleive when people say he doesnt want to play in montreal, thats just being loyal to the team your with, everyone has to do that

Did you know Vinny's girlfriend/wife doesnt even live with him in tampa? she lives in montreal!, they dont spend the offseason in tampa, they spend the offseason in montreal!

Also, with Richards leaving , it does give tampa money room, BUT, richards was a really good friend of vinny and im sure that has some sort of affect, and i KNOW Vinny doesnt like being in last place tampa, i get the feeling hes getting the feeling its time for a change soon, The fit in montreal is TOO perfect, and yes he did grow up a habs fan , i just dont see how he will never be a hab

I talked to Vinny's cousin once (i live in ile bizard..) and he told me Vinny does want to be a hab, but at the end of his career, so sign him at 29 till 36 i say!

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
That my friend is false. There was no LIST. Gainey simply never inquired about him.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
Yeah and tied up $7.8M/year in salary when almost our entire core is either RFA or UFA after next season. That would've worked out SO well.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Yeah and tied up $7.8M/year in salary when almost our entire core is either RFA or UFA after next season. That would've worked out SO well.
Yes, actually, I'd have worked very well.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Is that 800k difference that much different? At least Richards isn't a rental. Hossa won't even have to unpack his suitcase.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote