HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The SOB Line

Old
03-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
The SOB Line

Not a bad first showing eh?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Karan

Not bad at all no. Hopefully they can develop some nice chemistry down the stretch and chip in with more timely goals like today

Go SOB's!

Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Very nice name for the new line

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

lol.

I still don't get why some people are giving Sjostrom crap.

"Oh, he played OK." is crap to me.

The same people that thought Montoya would fetch a Jarome Iginla type player just because he was a early first rounder...

Just because Sjostrom was a particularly early first rounder doesn't mean he has to pot 40 goals a year, there's nothing more you can ask from this guy.

Extreme work ethic, Tremendous speed (great skater..), Physical/Big guy.. very vocal, has leadership qualities, etc....

I think he will become a fan favorite with everyone soon. I think the disrespect for Backman is coming a little bit to far as well, Weinman and etc have been giving him a big thumbs down and I'm usually very impressed and agree with most things he says but it's just simply not fair yet.

Renney just needs to have a talk with him and tell him to play simple hockey, and the penalties will stop then. Then he's an upgrade over Strudwick, and a 7th for the year once Mara gets back, and a regular next year. He's not bad. Certainly not.

As for Sjostrom, he can definitely be a reliable third liner for this team for quite some years. I could see him in a 20 goal prime for sure.

Sorry.. I'm trailing here, as for the SOB's, they played a good game. Hopefully they keep it up.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes better than hollweg. but i dont think hes anything spectacular.

hes just a good 4th line player. as good an option (for different reasons) as hossa.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:11 PM
mikesect424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
lol.

I still don't get why some people are giving Sjostrom crap.

"Oh, he played OK." is crap to me.

The same people that thought Montoya would fetch a Jarome Iginla type player just because he was a early first rounder...

Just because Sjostrom was a particularly early first rounder doesn't mean he has to pot 40 goals a year, there's nothing more you can ask from this guy.

Extreme work ethic, Tremendous speed (great skater..), Physical/Big guy.. very vocal, has leadership qualities, etc....

I think he will become a fan favorite with everyone soon. I think the disrespect for Backman is coming a little bit to far as well, Weinman and etc have been giving him a big thumbs down and I'm usually very impressed and agree with most things he says but it's just simply not fair yet.

Renney just needs to have a talk with him and tell him to play simple hockey, and the penalties will stop then. Then he's an upgrade over Strudwick, and a 7th for the year once Mara gets back, and a regular next year. He's not bad. Certainly not.

As for Sjostrom, he can definitely be a reliable third liner for this team for quite some years. I could see him in a 20 goal prime for sure.

Sorry.. I'm trailing here, as for the SOB's, they played a good game. Hopefully they keep it up.
Agree with this 70%, as I see Backman gone by the start of next season, and don't think Struds isn't playing over him in the playoffs. He's just not what this team needs now, or for the future. Sjostrom on the other hand is a nice player whose jersey number and style of play reminds fondly of Jan Erixon. Like this kid a lot. No complaints with the trade deadline.

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesect424 View Post
Agree with this 70%, as I see Backman gone by the start of next season, and don't think Struds isn't playing over him in the playoffs. He's just not what this team needs now, or for the future. Sjostrom on the other hand is a nice player whose jersey number and style of play reminds fondly of Jan Erixon. Like this kid a lot. No complaints with the trade deadline.
hmm....sounds to me like you agree with it about 72.6%.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

hes just a good 4th line player. as good an option (for different reasons) as hossa.
To this point he's clearly better than Hossa. I've always been a Hossa supporter. But to this point it's no comparison. And I certainly hope that doesn't change.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
levski87

backstrom and sjo arent goign anywhere this season or next season... sjo is a def an upgrade over hollwegg.. he showed it today... u guys want these people to score 40+ goals a season on a fourth line.. its ridiculous..

also the boos with backman have to stop.. its his second game here and the fans are already killing his morale... we are fans, we have to SUPPORT our team.. its ******** how people boo at Malik or Backstrom... just because ur booing u think its gunna make them a better player?... it makes them worse if anything!

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:31 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
backstrom and sjo arent goign anywhere this season or next season... sjo is a def an upgrade over hollwegg.. he showed it today... u guys want these people to score 40+ goals a season on a fourth line.. its ridiculous..

also the boos with backman have to stop.. its his second game here and the fans are already killing his morale... we are fans, we have to SUPPORT our team.. its ******** how people boo at Malik or Backstrom... just because ur booing u think its gunna make them a better player?... it makes them worse if anything!
backman stays

but sjo is a tough call. the 4th line RW spot will be between him and greg moore

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post

These are the New York Ranger fans you're talking about.. New York fans were booing A-Rod even when he was having an MVP caliber season. So that wont change.

I love Sjostrom, I think he's a great pick-up. Other than the ridiculous amount of bad penalties, I like Backman as well. I think he's much more physical, and he's doing a pretty good job of clearing players out of the way.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I thought sitting Hollweg was a good move. Sjostrom's speed certainly adds a lot to that line. And if they can get even a little more offense from the fourth line, that becomes an enormous weapon.

03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
backman stays

but sjo is a tough call. the 4th line RW spot will be between him and greg moore
I would be very upset if Moore stays on the Rangers over Sjostrom. Greg Moore, in the few games he has played this year, has not impressed me at all. Sjostrom, on the other hand, will be a fan favorite at the Garden in no time if he sticks around. Not to mention my opinion that Sjostrom has much higher upside than Moore.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:08 PM
eco's bones

Sjostrom had 6 shots on goal in 9:37 of ice time--playing with Betts and Orr. He has speed and size and his goal came from going hard to the net and determination in staying with the play. He doesn't look like a typical 4th liner to me. He looks like a little bit more. This trade seems to make the Rangers a deeper club going towards and hopefully (deep) into the playoffs. So far he looks like an excellent pickup.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:10 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

i think he's a good 3rd liner tbh.. with some players like Dawes, Drury, Straka, Cally, etc. he'll definitely score more. maybe that's where he'll be next year i think.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:17 PM
MasonRanger

Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
I think Sjo looks like a 3rd line player but there's just no room for him on any of the top 3 lines now.

That said, he has been impressive even on the 4th line and is even giving that line an offensive presence that it lacked before. If he keeps playing like this Hollweg will be riding a lot of pine.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He doesnt look like atypical 4th liner to me either. Yea , hes probably pretty excited to be in NY, going to try and make the most of his opportunity.

To this point he looks like an upgrade over Hossa

Old
03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonRanger View Post
I think Sjo looks like a 3rd line player but there's just no room for him on any of the top 3 lines now.
Well thats really what the team needs isnt it? A bona fide 3rd liner who's happy on the 4th line. That makes rolling the lines more effective.

Hey, he shoots the puck. On net, and not just at the goalies numbers.

That right there is an upside to Hollywood

Old
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
mstraka82

I Love It No Hollweg

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:26 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Well thats really what the team needs isnt it? A bona fide 3rd liner who's happy on the 4th line. That makes rolling the lines more effective.

Hey, he shoots the puck. On net, and not just at the goalies numbers.

That right there is an upside to Hollywood
Not only that, but I feel much more confident with bumping him up a line. He's a 3rd/4th line guy but if need be, he'll be able to fill in on the 2nd line. Depth =

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Bless This Mess

the biggest thing is that it no longer is a miracle if the fourth line scores...end of story (and in my book, that's a major improvement)

Bless This Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:36 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I think Hollweg knows he is out of a job with Sjo coming aboard... now the only question is where does Prucha fit in.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:40 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I think Hollweg knows he is out of a job with Sjo coming aboard... now the only question is where does Prucha fit in.
I'd keep him. Straka/Shanahan are gone next season. Need top 9'ers.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Noonan25

Backman is going to be good, he has shown some skill here and he has speed

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
levski87

As long as the fans dont get on Backmans .. back lol.. he will be fine.. renney and the staff will mold him into playing in the system with a few errors.. but its a game, and there will be errors of course... mayybe 4th line will be Prucha-Betts-Sjo... Sjo looks like a guy who can drop the gloves, but Orr is def the best at that aspect of the game heh

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote