HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The SOB Line

Old
03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Its way harder for D man to step into a new team at the deadline. He has to learn the systems, get use to a new partner. Plus he's playing in some high stakes games right away. Lots more pressure than a forward who's getting put on the 4th line

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
I Love It No Hollweg
agreed.

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
I would be very upset if Moore stays on the Rangers over Sjostrom. Greg Moore, in the few games he has played this year, has not impressed me at all. Sjostrom, on the other hand, will be a fan favorite at the Garden in no time if he sticks around. Not to mention my opinion that Sjostrom has much higher upside than Moore.
key words: a FEW games

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Awesome line name. I'm really glad to see that Sjo is having a good start. He really is happy to play anywhere, any time. 3rd line, 4th line doesn't seem to matter to him. He gives his all.

He sat so much in Phoenix it was totally heartbreaking but he never let it get to him. People say he disappears simply because he doesn't score in droves but he is so damn fast (draws penalties, gets fantastic breakaways) and so defensively sound (will even use his face to block a shot) that his scoring droughts never made an impression on me.

Fan favorite for his energy, gracious disposition and Weeble-like stride. Sjo on a breakaway is truly a sight to behold. *yeah he's not bad lookin either* but that was truly secondary in the favoritism ranking. LOL

Anyway just wanted to stop by and see how the Swedish Weeble was faring with his new fans.

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 02:45 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Can't wait for the Shoooooooooooooooooo chants at MSG. Rangers should get a laugh out of that. "Are the fans saying "Shoo" or telling us to shoot the puck?"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 09:13 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I think Hollweg knows he is out of a job with Sjo coming aboard... now the only question is where does Prucha fit in.
******* Prucha... overpaid, player who spends more time on his butt giving away pucks than anything else. I hope to god we trade him for like a 4th or 5th rder this offseason. We don't need him.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
now the only question is where does Prucha fit in.
Plenty of room in the press box. Honestly, he's not better than anyone in the lineup. And he's not going to effective on the fourth line.

03-03-2008, 09:47 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
******* Prucha... overpaid, player who spends more time on his butt giving away pucks than anything else. I hope to god we trade him for like a 4th or 5th rder this offseason. We don't need him.
too bad we could not deal him in the montoya deal, for boynton or another deal for a rugged dman.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Plenty of room in the press box. Honestly, he's not better than anyone in the lineup. And he's not going to effective on the fourth line.
buyt would the 3rd line lose anything more than the 4th line would gain if we tried

straka - drury - prucha
freddy - blair - callahan
?

honestly, i would like to see that line up just once to see what it could do.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
too bad we could not deal him in the montoya deal, for boynton or another deal for a rugged dman.
Thats what we really needed. Hard to believe that Montoya-Hossa-4th couldn't get back Boynton-Gratton. Nothing against Shoo but a nasty d-man is really what I wanted (and no, that doesn't mean 5-minor penalties per game Christian Backman!)

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
buyt would the 3rd line lose anything more than the 4th line would gain if we tried

straka - drury - prucha
?

yes it would, Cally can hit a little harder, and doesn't cough up the puck as much, and stays on his skates more, he is also faster than Prucha, and plays better defensively. This line has also meshed extremely well lately, so why would we want to change it?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Merlin401

Quote:

straka - drury - prucha
?

No, no toughness at all. You'd probably win the game and suffer two bad injuries. Don't strip the team of its toughness. Virtually every other team in the NHL realizes this, as do our coaches thankfully.

Old
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Thats what we really needed. Hard to believe that Montoya-Hossa-4th couldn't get back Boynton-Gratton. Nothing against Shoo but a nasty d-man is really what I wanted (and no, that doesn't mean 5-minor penalties per game Christian Backman!)
chris gratton if so he is on the bolts and Josh Gratton is a just in case Orr is out. I wanted Boynton or Derrik Morris. Shoo is a solid 3rd liner. upgrade over Prucha that is for sure.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
chris gratton if so he is on the bolts and Josh Gratton is a just in case Orr is out. I wanted Boynton or Derrik Morris. Shoo is a solid 3rd liner. upgrade over Prucha that is for sure.
What are you shaking your head over? Did I say Chris Gratton? Boynton and Josh Gratton. We did need Josh since both AHL enforcers are hurt.

Old
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
backman stays

but sjo is a tough call. the 4th line RW spot will be between him and greg moore
Greg Moore??

Moore is 23 and Sjostrom is 24.

Basically same age, and Sjostrom is in the NHL and playing with confidence.

Moore played with no confidence in the few games he was up this year. He looked lost.

With all due respect, Sjostrom>>>>>Moore.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Greg Moore??

Moore is 23 and Sjostrom is 24.

Basically same age, and Sjostrom is in the NHL and playing with confidence.

Moore played with no confidence in the few games he was up this year. He looked lost.

With all due respect, Sjostrom>>>>>Moore.
it's up to the rangers

if they want speed, sjo

if they want size, moore

Old
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hes better than hollweg. but i dont think hes anything spectacular.

hes just a good 4th line player. as good an option (for different reasons) as hossa.
Inferno, have you really seen enough of him to label him a "good 4th line player"? I'm genuinely asking, because if you've watched him a lot in the past and that's your opinion then I'm cool with it. But otherwise, I think we need to give it little more time before we go typecasting him in any role.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
it's up to the rangers

if they want speed, sjo

if they want size, moore
I don't get this. Sjostrom is 6'1 220, Moore is 6'1 210.

I liked Moore's simple hockey when he was here for 6 games this year, but I Sjostrom > Moore by a damn lot and I don't even have to watch his other seasons before I say that.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
jniklast

Quote:

straka - drury - prucha
?

maybe in the playoffs, but in regular season that really is not enough toughness

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
I don't get this. Sjostrom is 6'1 220, Moore is 6'1 210.

I liked Moore's simple hockey when he was here for 6 games this year, but I Sjostrom > Moore by a damn lot and I don't even have to watch his other seasons before I say that.
oh damn, i didn't know sjo has moore by 10 pounds

my bad

but yeah, i'd take sjo now, just saying moore should get a shot at the 4th line too

Old
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
oh damn, i didn't know sjo has moore by 10 pounds

my bad

but yeah, i'd take sjo now, just saying moore should get a shot at the 4th line too
Yeah, he probably will eventually.

Hell, who's to say Sjo stays on the fourth line in the coming years?

I see a third liner.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
maybe in the playoffs, but in regular season that really is not enough toughness
honestly....i would rather have hollweg in the lineup over prucha....at least he hits hard and in a long series it can take a toll.....there arent many players in the line-up with the ability to make a big hit that can change the game....hollweg can....and he hasnt been taking penalties.....that has been the knock on him and he is much better than before....plus with hollweg and sjostrom on the 4th line....that gives betts SUPER fast wingers.....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Ranger1135

IMO one of the soft spots on has been the lack of scoring on the 4th line. Orr- Betts-Hollweg did not provide anything in that department. I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about this. It wasn't from lack of effort, but that line just couldn't convert on chances.....period. They have probably had, as a line, 30 to 40 legitimate scoring chances this year and converted on maybe three of them. Think about all the 1 goal (2 goal games with an empty netter), which comes out to about 14 games, when we've had and the fate of the game at one point or another, lay on the stick of anyone of those guys on that line as it was constituted.
In my estimation that was worth 4 maybe 5 points in the standings when our 4th line just couldn't finish and that can loom large. That is just unacceptable and Sjostrom will convert on more than that, IMO.
One other thing that works in Sjostrom's favor is that he doesn't have the reputation of Hollweg and more penalties may be drawn just because of the style of game he plays, North-South and drives to the net. He's also solid defensively and can spell Shanny or any other wing on the PK.
Mind you I am not pegging Sjostrom into any particular role or line, just making an observation that he is definitely an upgrade over Hollweg.
One area which I am still on the fence about is when the game gets nasty. I wanted to see how Sjostrom reacted in that scenario and hoped it would come in the Philly game yesterday, but it didn't . I am not talking about dropping the gloves, just what his reaction would be when challenged in that regard, mind you I don't want to see him beat up, but playing on the 4th line it may happen that he gets challenged and that will be interesting to see.
I like Hollweg..I do...but Sjostrom adds quite a bit more than Holly.

Ranger1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
well thats really what i mean. obviously with almost all of our remaining games against atlantic division rivals, we will need more toughness. but come the playoffs, we won't have that large of a need depending on the opponent

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 07:21 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
lol.

I still don't get why some people are giving Sjostrom crap.

"Oh, he played OK." is crap to me.

The same people that thought Montoya would fetch a Jarome Iginla type player just because he was a early first rounder...

Just because Sjostrom was a particularly early first rounder doesn't mean he has to pot 40 goals a year, there's nothing more you can ask from this guy.

Extreme work ethic, Tremendous speed (great skater..), Physical/Big guy.. very vocal, has leadership qualities, etc....

I think he will become a fan favorite with everyone soon. I think the disrespect for Backman is coming a little bit to far as well, Weinman and etc have been giving him a big thumbs down and I'm usually very impressed and agree with most things he says but it's just simply not fair yet.

Renney just needs to have a talk with him and tell him to play simple hockey, and the penalties will stop then. Then he's an upgrade over Strudwick, and a 7th for the year once Mara gets back, and a regular next year. He's not bad. Certainly not.

As for Sjostrom, he can definitely be a reliable third liner for this team for quite some years. I could see him in a 20 goal prime for sure.

Sorry.. I'm trailing here, as for the SOB's, they played a good game. Hopefully they keep it up.
I agree... I actually see top six potential... 24 and pretty solid in the role he plays... a clear notch above Hossa... guys, this was the centerpiece of that trade... I see good things happening to him. You really can't go wrong with Scaninavians - 9 times out of 10, they know how to skate and play D, they're very complete if unspectacular, and many seem to break out at 26-30 in recent years. I see a potential second line Alfredsson here.

BobMarleyNYR is online now   Reply With Quote