HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Flames fans deserve some credit

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2004, 09:13 PM
  #1
SerbianEagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Serbia
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Flames fans deserve some credit

And I mean the real fans. They have been in the exact situation that we find ourselves in for the last 7 years excluding this one and survived. The reason I mention this is because I look at how many games are left in this season and find it really hard to motivate myself to watch any of them. Its a lost season and there are 30 games left, and they've had that for 7 years.

I try to look for positives and there are some:

1)Emergence of Semenov

2)Emergence of Torres

3)The way in which Dvorak plays (does everything all the time)

4) Hemsky (while struggling I have faith in him and he'll do some special stuff before the 30 games is up)

I just hope these will keep me glued to the TV and games on it.

I just don't know how Calgary fans handled this for all these years. They may not make the playoffs this year either, but they are sure making things a bit more exciting down the road in Calgary.

SerbianEagle is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 09:18 PM
  #2
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
your right and they deserve to make the playoffs this year, kudos go out to their coach,darryl sutter.
since the beginning of january i have watched less and less of the oilers games. at times they can be entertaining but for the most part they look confused and apathetic out there. i do see positives the ones you listed are hope for the future.
i hope the five other canadian teams make the playoffs, i would be more inclined to watch them this year.
guess i have to get used to the fact this team is probably going to miss the playoffs for the next couple of years as we await our prospects develop.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 09:27 PM
  #3
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
As good as the Flames have played I would be very surprised to see them in the playoffs. Short on talent and skill.

Walsher is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 09:28 PM
  #4
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
but they work hard for their coach and you have to respect their team for that. the same cannot be said for the oilers.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
  #5
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
the other thing that sways in their favor hands down iginla. iginla is a mini superstar which the oilers sorely lack. we have not had that kind of player since weight left.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 09:39 PM
  #6
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
the other thing that sways in their favor hands down iginla. iginla is a mini superstar which the oilers sorely lack. we have not had that kind of player since weight left.
With York out of the lineup the Oilers lack everything. Too many checkers not enough talent. Hemsky, Smyth = aweful since December 1st.

Walsher is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 09:48 PM
  #7
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
As good as the Flames have played I would be very surprised to see them in the playoffs. Short on talent and skill.
I can't really disagree with this, except....it's probably going to come down to Calgary, injury riddled LA and Nashville, three teams, two spots. none of those teams have much more talent or skill than the next...coaching,inspiration and goaltending will probably be the deciding factors...I'll give the Flames a 55% chance

looooob is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 09:49 PM
  #8
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: win a game
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
exactly but neither one of those guys would qualify as a mini superstar anyways however their performances should be better.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
02-01-2004, 11:26 PM
  #9
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
exactly but neither one of those guys would qualify as a mini superstar anyways however their performances should be better.
You should really use the quote button. A little tip that'll help the rest of us know who you're reffering to.

The Rage is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 05:22 AM
  #10
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
As much as it pains me to concede to this, i hope the Flames make it to the playoffs if the Oilers are botted out... I would hate to see neither Alberta teams in the playoffs ie. 2002

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 05:49 AM
  #11
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
As a long-time Flames fan, I (and speaking for many other fans as well) appreciate your support for what will hopefully be a playoff year. However, as much as I like the Flames, I'd still just prefer an Albertan team makes it in. Go Flaming Oilers.

Ozy_Flame is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 05:51 AM
  #12
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
And I mean the real fans. They have been in the exact situation that we find ourselves in for the last 7 years excluding this one and survived. The reason I mention this is because I look at how many games are left in this season and find it really hard to motivate myself to watch any of them. Its a lost season and there are 30 games left, and they've had that for 7 years.

I try to look for positives and there are some:

1)Emergence of Semenov

2)Emergence of Torres

3)The way in which Dvorak plays (does everything all the time)

4) Hemsky (while struggling I have faith in him and he'll do some special stuff before the 30 games is up)

I just hope these will keep me glued to the TV and games on it.

I just don't know how Calgary fans handled this for all these years. They may not make the playoffs this year either, but they are sure making things a bit more exciting down the road in Calgary.
Flames fans always deserve credit

Really, you just go numb after a while, I mean how many times have a heard '7 years'? (or six, five, etc). It doesn't really affect you after awhile, no worries, and neither does the, 'they're short on skill, talent' thing when they do get ahead, its all just the same, I mean its kinda surreal that they're hangin' in a playoff spot on Feb.1. We'll see what happens though, my guess is (if they do make it, I make no gaurantees) it'll take 'til after the playoffs to realize it.

Besides the Oilers should hope the Blues miss and fire Coach Q so they can pick him up

kruezer is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 05:57 AM
  #13
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I hate the bajezus out of the Flames. They're stupid porno-stache and hard helmet scheme is gay. However, for all their gayness - I'll hope for them to get in if it doesn't mean the Oilers not making it. When it gets right down to it, it's still Alberta showing that we are the best hockey hot spot in the world (although Edmonton produces WAY more players and WAY more better players ).

thome_26 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:40 AM
  #14
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Flames fans always deserve credit

Really, you just go numb after a while, I mean how many times have a heard '7 years'? (or six, five, etc). It doesn't really affect you after awhile, no worries, and neither does the, 'they're short on skill, talent' thing when they do get ahead, its all just the same, I mean its kinda surreal that they're hangin' in a playoff spot on Feb.1. We'll see what happens though, my guess is (if they do make it, I make no gaurantees) it'll take 'til after the playoffs to realize it.

Besides the Oilers should hope the Blues miss and fire Coach Q so they can pick him up
On another side note, after 7 years of this misery, we know who the 'real' fans are, if that counts for anything

kruezer is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 01:22 PM
  #15
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
On another side note, after 7 years of this misery, we know who the 'real' fans are, if that counts for anything
That, my dear kruezer, counts for EVERYTHING.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 03:53 PM
  #16
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
And I mean the real fans. They have been in the exact situation that we find ourselves in for the last 7 years excluding this one and survived. The reason I mention this is because I look at how many games are left in this season and find it really hard to motivate myself to watch any of them.
Well I've always thought of Flames fans as one might think of a soldier that falls on a hand grenade to save the troops. Admirable. Remarkable. Honorable. And thanks for taking that fate away from the rest of us!

I've had trouble finishing watching games this year. But I have had less trouble finding motivation to watch this season than I did in 2001-02 where they had 92 points and 182 goals against but played some major yawners. Now I'm tending to look more carefully at breakdowns and such. I think the key adjustment for me was in realizing that I no longer had any delusions that they were a team likely to make the playoffs or even win a lot of their games, but that in the end that didn't really matter all that much to me.

oilswell is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 04:07 PM
  #17
looooob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I hate the bajezus out of the Flames. They're stupid porno-stache and hard helmet scheme is gay. However, for all their gayness - I'll hope for them to get in if it doesn't mean the Oilers not making it. When it gets right down to it, it's still Alberta showing that we are the best hockey hot spot in the world (although Edmonton produces WAY more players and WAY more better players ).
true, Edmonton produces the good players and they play for Calgary...Calgary produces the bad players and they play for Edmonton

looooob is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 05:00 PM
  #18
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
true, Edmonton produces the good players and they play for Calgary...Calgary produces the bad players and they play for Edmonton
Let's see you say that to Jason Smith's face.

Digger12 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.