HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

how far our market has come since the lockout..

Old
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
trueblue9441

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
how far our market has come since the lockout..

i posted a thread like this over in the business forum about all 30 markets in the nhl, but how do you guys and girls think the ny market has done since the lockout? do you think it has grown?

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
i posted a thread like this over in the business forum about all 30 markets in the nhl, but how do you guys and girls think the ny market has done since the lockout? do you think it has grown?
I'm not really sure what you're asking.

03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think the question is asking if we think there are more Ranger fans now than there were before the lockout.

Hard to gauge.

Old
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
well do you think our revenues have gone up, fan support, things of that nature

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If the were using the number of Ranger fans as the measuring stick I'd say then yes. The team is better and has made the playoffs both seasons since. As such there are going to be more fans.

But as far as media coverage goes, it's about the same or less than the prior to the lockout.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
well do you think our revenues have gone up, fan support, things of that nature
Like I just said probably more fans since the team is better. As far as revenue, I'm sure they're doing better because they are paying less in salary and the games are still sold out.

Old
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The lockout wasn't meant to help the large market teams, it was all about screwing them at the expense of the small market teams. It's worked perfectly so far.

As for the Rangers, we have a GM who got religion at the deadline in 2004 and has benefited from having a cap (and of course the Dolans have too-since they no longer need to shell out $80 a year in salaries), because it forced him to rebuild the system. That, and having Jagr at 1/2 price, plus "discovering" a top shelf goalie within the system, has helped make the Rangers competitive again. Whether TLB can continue the rebuilding process, now that he's been forced to hand out large contracts to homegrown players and UFAs to fill in the gaps, is a question that will be answered over the next couple of years. And unless Sather wins a Stanley Cup in the next several years, he will ultimately be viewed a failure.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
There may be a few more fans. There certainly hasn't been any significant growth, IMO.

You should clarify whether you mean revenues, fans, or whatever and then make this a poll. It'd be interesting to see what people think.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:46 PM
GarretJoseph*

Bandwagon fans really... nothing more to the main base.

Media coverage sucks as usual.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
The Rangers will always do good in NYC. This question should be asked in the small market teams. If anything the Rangers coverage and exposure has really gone way down since before the lockout. Hockey is not spoken about in the least in sports radio and gets 2 pages buried in the back of the post, daily news, etc 1 shared by the devils and islanders the other by the rangers and the whole league. That's just how it is. The Hockey News is no longer available in newstands like it used to. Hockey is dying, although the Rangers have enough of a fanbase to survive. But if this is telling about the Rangers in a massive media market I can only imagine how it is for the southern teams. It really doesn't kill the Rangers because they have enough of an established fanbase and they are a good team, plus its MSG so they will always make enough money to justify their existence to the Dolans. But expansion in general will kill the sport and those teams will fold in the next 15 years in my opinion unless someone can shut me up with facts about revenues and how much better those teams are doing.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 06:35 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Bandwagon fans really... nothing more to the main base.

Media coverage sucks as usual.
......and what would u consider a bandwagon fan......because i started religiously following the rangers last year.....but that is because i am at collegeand at home we didnt get msg......since i joinded this over the summer i guess im considered a bandwagon fan and yet i am far from it....watch how you throw around that word

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Doyle

The market certainly appeared bigger back in 1994.

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I heard somewhere (I think it was the Daily News) that the team's ratings on MSG are up this year, so that has to count for something.

There are definitely more fans since before the lockout, but you have to expect that because the team is good. It wasn't back then.

Media attention is still terrible. The only time the team has had any kind of exposure was when they were in the playoffs last year.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Gardner McKay
R.I.P. Parabola

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I heard somewhere (I think it was the Daily News) that the team's ratings on MSG are up this year, so that has to count for something.

There are definitely more fans since before the lockout, but you have to expect that because the team is good. It wasn't back then.

Media attention is still terrible. The only time the team has had any kind of exposure was when they were in the playoffs last year.
It was something like 86% up from last year, and 250% for the Islanders, and I think the debbies were up around 40something %. Was posted in a forum on either hockeybuzz or metro boards. Can't remember which.

Now to clarify, even though the isles are up that amount, they still pale in comparison to the # of ranger fans that watch each game.

Point being, since all three markets have tv ratings up, great for hockey.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Ola

Quote:
There is a Swedish reporter in NY for the entire season following the NHL -- and natrually allot of NYR since he lives on Manhattan.

He writes a really good blog at Aftonbladet -- Chimp and Co have translated parts of it at times so some of you have read it.

Anyway he have stated that his biggest positive suprise is the hockey interest in NY. I've often heard other NYR fans say like that 75% of NY doesn't even know there is a team called NYR. But that reporter have said that NY defenitly ranks up there with the hockey citys in NY. That when he tells people that he is from Sweden the standard responses in order are 1. Oh how are things in Davos? 2. Bjorn Borg/Abba 3. Lundqvist is great!!!

He have also written real articles on the subject. In one he went around and interviewed a ton of sports bar owners about the hockey interest in NY. Most of them said like that their was a constant interest in the Rangers -- but it was below the other prosports. One of the standard questions was what the interest would be if NYR went deeep in the PO's -- there everyone answeared that "everybody" in NY would watch it.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
The market certainly appeared bigger back in 1994.
the nhl was poised to pass the nba as far as popularity goes in 1994. bettman managed to screw it up and send the league back 20 years.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
It was something like 86% up from last year, and 250% for the Islanders, and I think the debbies were up around 40something %. Was posted in a forum on either hockeybuzz or metro boards. Can't remember which.

Now to clarify, even though the isles are up that amount, they still pale in comparison to the # of ranger fans that watch each game.

Point being, since all three markets have tv ratings up, great for hockey.
The local ratings may be up. I'm not sure about that. But on the whole coverage is well down.

What do you really think the ratings are going to be for Pitt-Wash Sunday at noon on NBC? It's going be an embarrassing low number.

Old
03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

The market hasn't changed, when the Rangers win they are the toast of the town. But when they are just making the playoffs and being ousted in the second round, not much has changed. They are the most popular NHL team in the area, they sell out all of their games but they don't win titles.

So there are plenty of fans in the area but I don't think hockey is being grown in this area. It's still the fifth most popular sport behind the NFL, MLB, NBA and Golf. Golf is very big in this area because of all the execs and middle class people who play it. So it gets better ratings on TV than hockey.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Golf is very big in this area because of all the execs and middle class people who play it. So it gets better ratings on TV than hockey.
Golf gets better ratings than hockey anywhere in the country.

Old
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Golf gets better ratings than hockey anywhere in the country.
Well maybe not in hockey hotbeds like New England and Minnesota but yes, pretty much everywhere else. And NASCAR gets better ratings all throughout the south and probably out west.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
NYR469

any change in ny is really hard to impossible to quantify for 2 reasons imo.

1)we were selling out every game before that so there was no where for attendance to go up

2)we were AWFUL for 7 years before the lockout and have been a playoff team since. so any increase in demand for tickets, season ticket waiting list, increased tv ratings, etc can be attributed to the fact that the team got better just as much as anything to do with the lockout

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
mucker*

Actually this goes in line with several questions I have.

First off, why is it that NY routinely gets snubbed as being a good hockeytown?
Recall the yahoo article at the start of the season...where NY was ranked with NJ/DC/LA as average or worse for hockey.
This was BELOW the Isles and Bruins who do not draw and are completely overshadowed.
I found it to be quite unfair and downright insulting that an original six team in a city which routinely sell outs and has an electric MSG atmosphere is given the same rank as DC (which had horrible attendance for 2.5 years of AO and really is not a hockey town), as NJ (which doesn't sell out playoff games), and LA (no need to say anything.

There is little doubt IMO that the NHL is 4th in NY...but come on...what East Coast city is it not 4th in?
To say BOS, LI, and PHI are above NY I felt was an insult.

I just went to my first MSG game....and it was the best US environment I've been to...well better than BOS.
I love how they give BOS a pass due to bad ownership yet penalize NY's sellouts due to high population.

Further....funny how most of the US Junior Team players are tri-state players....and those BOS NCAA teams....their lineups are stacked with NY born players.

So I guess I'm asking was the yahoo article full of garbage...is NY as good or better than PHI/BOS....and if not how do you explain sellouts, MSG environment...and the local talent (which PHI BTW has next to ZERO)?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
The local ratings may be up. I'm not sure about that. But on the whole coverage is well down.

What do you really think the ratings are going to be for Pitt-Wash Sunday at noon on NBC? It's going be an embarrassing low number.
Local hockey ratings are way up--I've seen several articles in the last several months commenting on the trend. For the Rangers on MSG it was up something 60%-70%.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:24 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newburgh View Post
Actually this goes in line with several questions I have.

First off, why is it that NY routinely gets snubbed as being a good hockeytown?
Recall the yahoo article at the start of the season...where NY was ranked with NJ/DC/LA as average or worse for hockey.
This was BELOW the Isles and Bruins who do not draw and are completely overshadowed.
I found it to be quite unfair and downright insulting that an original six team in a city which routinely sell outs and has an electric MSG atmosphere is given the same rank as DC (which had horrible attendance for 2.5 years of AO and really is not a hockey town), as NJ (which doesn't sell out playoff games), and LA (no need to say anything.

There is little doubt IMO that the NHL is 4th in NY...but come on...what East Coast city is it not 4th in?
To say BOS, LI, and PHI are above NY I felt was an insult.

I just went to my first MSG game....and it was the best US environment I've been to...well better than BOS.
I love how they give BOS a pass due to bad ownership yet penalize NY's sellouts due to high population.

Further....funny how most of the US Junior Team players are tri-state players....and those BOS NCAA teams....their lineups are stacked with NY born players.

So I guess I'm asking was the yahoo article full of garbage...is NY as good or better than PHI/BOS....and if not how do you explain sellouts, MSG environment...and the local talent (which PHI BTW has next to ZERO)?
the reason ny isn't called a hockeytown is because its not. there are probably more hockey fans in the ny metro area than any other american city because there are so many people in the area but its not that big when you look at the %.

reality is there are like 9-10 pro teams in the area, the rangers rank at the bottom and the islanders/devils don't even rank.

except for when the rangers are doing well in the playoffs NO ONE outside of the diehard fans give a crap about hockey in NYC, and as proof of that take a look at how many times the rangers have been on the back cover of the post or daily news over the last 3 years besides playoff time and after signing gomez/drury. the media would rather report on whether jeter had 2% or skim milk in his cereal during the offseason then report on the rangers and if there was ANY demand for them to report hockey that wouldn't be the case.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:07 AM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
Hockey doesn't get any media coverage or any respect. One of the most interesting, intense, and fun sports to watch... but since the lockout hockey has fell off the face of the earth. I just love now that Basketball is a joke in NY and all sports have been rather slow, we have the radio stations and such trying to cover hockey. Mike and the Mad Dog were at the Nassau Colliseum for the NYR/NYI game tonight and broadcasted there all day- but to be honest they know less about hockey than most people in general. They don't follow, nobody does. It's horrible- but I don't know if hockey will ever gain the popularity, as far as coverage on TV and in the media go, that they had before the lockout.

As far as fans go- it comes with a competetive team. Look how many Red Sox and Patriot and Yankees fans there are, etc. The Rangers have been good the last 3 years = increased fan base.

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote