HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

how far our market has come since the lockout..

Old
03-07-2008, 01:33 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
I think the media coverage has been simply awful. OLN or VS. or Network, give me my ESPN (just not Gary Thorne and Bill Clement ) any day.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRBlaznBure9 View Post
Hockey doesn't get any media coverage or any respect. One of the most interesting, intense, and fun sports to watch... but since the lockout hockey has fell off the face of the earth. I just love now that Basketball is a joke in NY and all sports have been rather slow, we have the radio stations and such trying to cover hockey. Mike and the Mad Dog were at the Nassau Colliseum for the NYR/NYI game tonight and broadcasted there all day- but to be honest they know less about hockey than most people in general. They don't follow, nobody does. It's horrible- but I don't know if hockey will ever gain the popularity, as far as coverage on TV and in the media go, that they had before the lockout.

As far as fans go- it comes with a competetive team. Look how many Red Sox and Patriot and Yankees fans there are, etc. The Rangers have been good the last 3 years = increased fan base.
I think the Red Sox are the weird exception. They were actually more popular when they were perennial losers.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Ace2008

hockey isn't dying it's simply Canadian $dollar vs-USD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
The Rangers will always do good in NYC. This question should be asked in the small market teams. If anything the Rangers coverage and exposure has really gone way down since before the lockout. Hockey is not spoken about in the least in sports radio and gets 2 pages buried in the back of the post, daily news, etc 1 shared by the devils and islanders the other by the rangers and the whole league. That's just how it is. The Hockey News is no longer available in newstands like it used to. Hockey is dying, although the Rangers have enough of a fanbase to survive. But if this is telling about the Rangers in a massive media market I can only imagine how it is for the southern teams. It really doesn't kill the Rangers because they have enough of an established fanbase and they are a good team, plus its MSG so they will always make enough money to justify their existence to the Dolans. But expansion in general will kill the sport and those teams will fold in the next 15 years in my opinion unless someone can shut me up with facts about revenues and how much better those teams are doing.

Basically as soon as the Canadian looney became same or greater value than the US dollar the canadian mags like Mckeen's/TSN Forecaster/ left the int'l newshops in NY, and then this season even THN stopped delivering their weekly issues to the newsstands.

Basically Sporting News which is an American Weekly and the THN annual is all that we NYR fans can get for Annuals/publications.

As for Radio... well I can get in ny a Tor Leafs broadcast on my analog Clock radio... go figure...AS well as an Isles/NJD/RAngers one

Basically the media is interested in multiracial/multiethnic sports

The growth of Golf/Nascar/ MMA combined with the huge dropoff in ad revenue/overall perceived profitability of NHL TV ads is killing the avg Mainstream broadcast of NHL action.

What they need to do is have a massive online Server hosting GAMES from the previous week commercial free and increase the visability of the game by reducing the time of matches/ get rid of TV time outs since almost all of the teams have enough depth to roll 4 lines nowadays. Make the game start @ 6:45 and end @ 9:30 pm by the latest shootout included

As for the media coverage in papers---ethnicity and race are the key for readership. The hardcore sports fans I talk to always tell me that for the most part its a game where you see very few latino/african-N.Am players. For every Gomez or Iginla
there are about 60 guys that are playing at a similar level but aren't really hero's/idol material for the Ad execs who are trying to sell the game in the U.S.

In canada the race/ethnicity isn't an issue because its the national pasttime/religion

and that is the Advertising/TV = $$ model that has to be replaced if the NHL wants to make some real noise.

Case in point---Tampa Bay wins a Cup 3 seasons ago, today the only newsworthy stories we hear about the team in national media is about who they're going to sell off

not about they're rebuilding efforts or about the solid play of P.Ranger

you get the point.

It's all about hype

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:41 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The problem is, it's not like the NHL choses to have less minorities playing the game, it's just the way it is. Hockey is an expensive sport to play and traditionally most minorities don't have the money to play. Of course there are many wealthy minorities in NA, but the majority are lower to middle class.

In addition, if if they are privileged enough to have the funds to play, people tend to play other sports when they are younger in the US. You have basketball, baseball, football, soccer. That's what the kids play. Probably 95 - 100% of the kids who are out there playing hockey right now and even have a remote shot at making the NHL have parents who are hockey fans and I don't want to come off the wrong way, but most hockey fans are white people. I mean, go to an NHL game, it's quite bright in there.

Hockey's not that sport where you go out into the street and a bunch of guys are playing so you join in. That necessarily doesn't hold true in other sports. If you're a 5 year old and you see a bunch of kids your age playing football, you just say, hey can I play and you play. Same thing for soccer, basketball, and baseball (for the most part, you do need a mit). With hockey you need a stick and skates at the very least, it's quite different.

Old
03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
ogie

i'm going to have to say that hockey is at the lowest point fan wise that it has been in my life from my perspective. From the time i was about 12 till right before the lockout me and all of my friends were OBSESSED with hockey and the rangers in general. we played roller hockey everyday, watched every single game, went to about 10 to 15 games a year, and spent hours upon hours speculating on all things rangers. Today almost none of those guys even watch hockey.

Only about three of them are still die hard fans, a few casual fans and the most when i ask them about hockey say either "I haven't watched a game since the lockout" or "I stopped following them when they signed <insert horrible washed up players name here>"

I do realize that now that i am approaching 30 that many of these guys have insane work hours, wives and kids to contend with but to go from 15 or so hardcore fans down to 4 cannot be contributed simply to growing up.

The NHL did it's self and it's fans a major disservice when the lockout happened, and it may never fully recover.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Fletch

That's growing up, ogie...

and other 12 year olds have replaced you, and likely there are more. I had a bunch of friends with whom I'd go to almost every game. You get married, have a kid, get a better job, and what happens is you don't have the time you once had, which is my case. I've gone from going to every game to watching about 3/4 of the games - partly because it's impossible to get home by 7, and on that off chance I am, I play with my kid until after the first period and he's ready for bed.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Chunklee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
......and what would u consider a bandwagon fan......because i started religiously following the rangers last year.....but that is because i am at collegeand at home we didnt get msg......since i joinded this over the summer i guess im considered a bandwagon fan and yet i am far from it....watch how you throw around that word
sounds like we got a bandwagon fan here.

Chunklee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:29 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I think the Red Sox are the weird exception. They were actually more popular when they were perennial losers.
Absolutely not. I was living in Massachusetts before and after the 2004 World Series, and I can assure you that the fan base increased.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:49 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Absolutely not. I was living in Massachusetts before and after the 2004 World Series, and I can assure you that the fan base increased.
Not in the rest of the country though. The Red Sox had this huge following because of the aura of the curse.

Old
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
nyr7andcounting

I'd say everything is about the same.

If there are a few more fans or more revenues it's only because the team has actually made the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

Besides the lockout wasn't about growing revenues, it was about cutting costs. They changed some rules around a little but it will take years before a more exciting game will actually result in a large increase of fans, higher TV ratings, etc.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 07:39 PM
isles20*

I think the Nhl lost a lot of fans post lockout

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 09:00 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
i posted a thread like this over in the business forum about all 30 markets in the nhl, but how do you guys and girls think the ny market has done since the lockout? do you think it has grown?
NYR tv ratings went from a .34 in '04/05, a .54 in 05/06, and a 1.10 so far in 07/08

NYR ticket prices way up, and NYR sweater sales are very strong. Anyone have the numbers for NYR sweater sales? I'd love to see a breakdown on the number of NYR sweaters sold in white, blue, replica, authentic, and name/number.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote