HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Lightning @ Flyers 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Teezax

vCash: 500
GDT: Lightning @ Flyers 7PM

GAME: Tampa Bay Lightning (26-16-6-3) at Philadelphia Flyers (26-11-11-5).

TIME: Monday, 7 p.m. EST.

Looking to match the longest winning streak in team history, the Tampa Bay Lightning try to win a season series from the Philadelphia Flyers for the first time as these first-place clubs meet at the Wachovia Center.

This matchup pits two streaking teams who both have 26 victories, though the Flyers' 68 points puts them seven ahead of Tampa Bay and gives them a slim lead over New Jersey in the Atlantic Division. The Lightning have built an 11-point lead over Atlanta in the Southeast.

Philadelphia has dominated this series since Tampa Bay entered the league in 1992. The Flyers had a 30-9-8 all-time record against the Lightning entering this season, including just four losses in the last 27 meetings (18-4-5).

Tampa Bay has turned that around this season, totaling 11 goals in winning both meetings. The final matchup between these teams will be Feb. 17 in Tampa.

The Lightning have won five in a row to move within one of a franchise record, set at this season's outest as Tampa opened 6-0.

"The most important thing is to keep it going," said Lightning winger Fredrik Modin, who had two goals and an assist in Saturday's 5-2 victory over Atlanta.

Philadelphia enters with a five-game unbeaten streak (4-0-1), including a 5-3 victory over Pittsburgh on Saturday night. All of the games during the unbeaten run have come against teams with losing records.

"You talk about chemistry, and we've got a little bit of that going right now," said John LeClair, who scored his 14th goal Saturday.

"The last couple of games have been a little bit open, we've been able to play a little bit of offensive hockey ... it's always fun to play like that instead of back and forth in the neutral zone."

The line of LeClair, Michal Handzus and Mark Recchi has keyed the unbeaten streak, accounting for seven goals and 20 assists.

Martin St. Louis has led the Lightning lately, getting nine goals and eight assists during a career-high nine-game point streak.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Lightning are on a bit of a surge right now playing in front of new # 1 John Grahame. They certainly have our number this year netting 11 goals on us but things will change tonight, not because I started the GDT, but because Esche is playing well, our team is playing well, and we are in Philadelphia chasing the conference lead.

Flyers 2 Comrie, Ragnarsson
Lightning 1 St. Louis

Old
02-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Flyers26

Should be a good game, and we owe the Lightning one, from the drubbing they gave us in Jan!

Old
02-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Rex88

The 6-1 game stunk and next to the Sabres loss was the season low.
To then lose in OT, well, time for payback and I think it will be tight but we owe them one.
Flyers 3
TB 2

Old
02-02-2004, 06:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
If they dont get caught up in the whole revenge thing and play a solid 60 minutes, Flyers should win this game. But this has tie written all over it

Flyers 2 (Gagne,Recchi)
Lightning 2 (Lecavlier,Modin)

Old
02-02-2004, 06:24 PM
FearTheFlyers

Flyers 1 (sharp)
Lightning 1(boyle)

Old
02-02-2004, 06:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
The Lightning are on a bit of a surge right now playing in front of new # 1 John Grahame.

Nope, Khabibulin is the #1. Torterella said he is #1, the team said he is #1, Jay Feaster said he is #1, and John Grahame knows Khabibulin is #1.

For now at least.

Much like Brian Boucher in Phoenix, Grahame is playing because he is playing better right now. It happens to every goalie every season (except Martin Brodeur) where the backup will get some more starts, because he is the hot hand at the time, but rest assured, Khabibulin isn't a 6+ million dollar backup, and he isn't getting traded unless he never gets out of his slump.

With that said, I don't think the Flyers are going to win. The Lightning are on fire, and with their recent play, they are the better team right now despite the success of the Flyers. Tampa has given up 9 goals in 5 games and are averaging something like 5 per game in those 5 games. They ARE the hottest team in the league, and I think they will win, and I won't be suprised to see Esche be a bit fatigued as well despite a few extra hours off from an afternoon game. I think the Flyers lose 3-1 (St. Louis 2, Modin - Primeau) and we'll see Niittymaki vs. a bad Washington team on Wednesday (which either way, I think is a good move. Esche has played 12 of 14 games, which is much to ask for a first year starter.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Nope, Khabibulin is the #1. Torterella said he is #1, the team said he is #1, Jay Feaster said he is #1, and John Grahame knows Khabibulin is #1.

For now at least.

Much like Brian Boucher in Phoenix, Grahame is playing because he is playing better right now. It happens to every goalie every season (except Martin Brodeur) where the backup will get some more starts, because he is the hot hand at the time, but rest assured, Khabibulin isn't a 6+ million dollar backup, and he isn't getting traded unless he never gets out of his slump.

With that said, I don't think the Flyers are going to win. The Lightning are on fire, and with their recent play, they are the better team right now despite the success of the Flyers. Tampa has given up 9 goals in 5 games and are averaging something like 5 per game in those 5 games. They ARE the hottest team in the league, and I think they will win, and I won't be suprised to see Esche be a bit fatigued as well despite a few extra hours off from an afternoon game. I think the Flyers lose 3-1 (St. Louis 2, Modin - Primeau) and we'll see Niittymaki vs. a bad Washington team on Wednesday (which either way, I think is a good move. Esche has played 12 of 14 games, which is much to ask for a first year starter.
True that Khabi is the real # 1 but their win streak comes at the helm of Grahame in nets, which possible means that he will get the nod tonight (not sure) But I agree, I homer'd my score, but I think Tampa will give us big problems tonight, I just hope we can get through it.

Old
02-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Brad*

This is a tough challenge, the Lightning are a good team. Two points would be big tonight.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:24 PM
paxtang

Is Pits sitting tonight?

Old
02-02-2004, 10:28 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Is Pits sitting tonight?
Yep, healthy scratch. Said so on CSN.

Don't understand this one. You got a fast team in TB coming in and you sit your fastest dman?

Old
02-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Gert B Frobe

Why is he sitting? Didn't notice any bad play lately... TB is the hottest team in the league- I agree with GoKimJohnson- tough loss, Flyers get smoked 4-1. I could be wrong though

Old
02-02-2004, 10:46 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Yep, healthy scratch. Said so on CSN.

Don't understand this one. You got a fast team in TB coming in and you sit your fastest dman?
especially when we have so many of our defensemen out injured too.

anyway, the Flyers have paybacks comming for Tampa from that 6-1 wuppin they put on us a while ago. the last time we played the Bolts the Flyers were flat on the ice, the Flyers just need to come out with some jump in their legs and everything should take care of itself from there.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Gert B Frobe

COME ON GAGS!!! gotta bury that- geez!

Old
02-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Dykhuis26

makes no sense to play "cement skates" therien over pitkanen against the lightning!
geez, we could've used pits on that double minor.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Dykhuis26

esche flashing the leather!!! he played great that period!

Old
02-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Hockeyfan02

Lightning fan here to comment on the game, I'm not trying to troll just looking to discuss the game. Pretty good period so far. Khabibulin's early stops on Gagne were huge and it shows hes starting to turn his game around. Flyers played physical but the Lightning werent backing down and were throwing hits which is a good sign. I'm really surprised at how the Lightning PK did without St. Louis who is a huge threat on the PK with his speed. Lightning pregame was right about Esche being competitive (shown in his stop on Vinny) and very good hands (the glove saves he was making). Looks like we might have a good one on our hands. Interesting stats mentioned on the Lightning telecast: teams are pretty much even in shots, goals, goals allowed, and shots allowed (all stats per game). Teams are also close to each other in face off %.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Oh ****...

Did you all see how his leg bent?

Great save by Escher

Old
02-03-2004, 12:00 AM
blah

Egh, Esche better be ok.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Eeek, Little is in.

Oh boy, I don't like this at all...

Old
02-03-2004, 12:06 AM
blah

Crap.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:09 AM
blah

Little looks dreadful.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Those arn't his Phantoms pads are they? They look pretty old.

Oh boy, this is really bad...

Old
02-03-2004, 12:11 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Those arn't his Phantoms pads are they? They look pretty old.

Oh boy, this is really bad...
I thought they looked tiny.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:14 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
I'm lookin in my crystal ball and I see a panic trade for a goalie.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:15 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
I'm lookin in my crystal ball and I see a panic trade for a goalie.
If Esche is injured that leaves them with no NHL calibur goalies.

Closed Thread