HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Again?!?!?!

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 02:57 AM
ihatenewjersey

vCash: 500
Again?!?!?!

again today the rangers had a optional practice, this is bull, what is going on here, are these people freakin crazy,

holik wouldn't even answer any questions asked, he was fuming, you could see how pissed he was

jagr made a good point, if we can score on the pp the games would be easier, to bad we suck ass

Old
02-02-2004, 03:02 AM
NYR469

do you really expect anything to change with sather still in charge??

Old
02-02-2004, 03:14 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Practicing for an hour isn't going to help. Most of the players have been making the same mistakes over and over from day one and if they haven't figured it out by now they ain't never going to get it.

Not having regular team practices is a symptom, not the cause of the Rangers' problems.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:31 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Practicing for an hour isn't going to help. Most of the players have been making the same mistakes over and over from day one and if they haven't figured it out by now they ain't never going to get it.

Not having regular team practices is a symptom, not the cause of the Rangers' problems.

With all do respect Brook, that's not the point. The point is that they should be skating red lines back and forth for 3 hours with the effort they've put in. If you're not going to give the effort then you deserve to suffer the consequences.

Obviously Sather has given up on this team. This is shown by his inaptitude to bench players, scratch them or do anything. Every game it's the same thing... a small line juggle and nothing more. Sather as Dolan and the team dont' care, they just don't care no one gives any sort of effort and no one is held responsible for their actions (that is unless they're under 28 then if they mess up they get sent to Hartford or play 6 minutes a game).

Old
02-02-2004, 03:54 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
With all do respect Brook, that's not the point. The point is that they should be skating red lines back and forth for 3 hours with the effort they've put in. If you're not going to give the effort then you deserve to suffer the consequences.

Obviously Sather has given up on this team. This is shown by his inaptitude to bench players, scratch them or do anything. Every game it's the same thing... a small line juggle and nothing more. Sather as Dolan and the team dont' care, they just don't care no one gives any sort of effort and no one is held responsible for their actions (that is unless they're under 28 then if they mess up they get sent to Hartford or play 6 minutes a game).
The fish rots from the head down. Sather is the one who decides whether or not the players have to attend practice--the players don't get together and vote on the issue. Sather has to make a decision to demand accountablity and then follow through.

This has nothing to do with the players. They will practice if they are told to practice. They will play hard if there are consquences to not playing hard. They are willing to try (well most of them anyway), if there is someone to lead them.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Edge

kinda funny how the guy who assembled the team finds he cant coach it.....

If I were Holik, I'd just keep talking and blast Sather. I'd hold a press conference showing press clippings, tv comments, message board comments and track records.

What's Sather gonna do, tell him to shut up? Send him home?

So I'm wondering when this team becomes "Better" like all the optimists predicted when the jagr trade went down.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
So I'm wondering when this team becomes "Better" like all the optimists predicted when the jagr trade went down.
Not that I was among them, but even the optimists couldn't have forseen that Jagr would be here 10 days and STILL not have gone through a formal team practice. Wouldn't that be the first thing you'd do as coach?

I too wish Holik would take it up a notch Edge. He'll either succeed in outing Sather, or wind up getting traded. From Bobby's perspective, that seems like a win-win.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:08 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
The fish rots from the head down. Sather is the one who decides whether or not the players have to attend practice--the players don't get together and vote on the issue. Sather has to make a decision to demand accountablity and then follow through.

This has nothing to do with the players. They will practice if they are told to practice. They will play hard if there are consquences to not playing hard. They are willing to try (well most of them anyway), if there is someone to lead them.
That's exactly my point Brook you stated in your last post that practice wasn't going to do anything. My point is that I dont' give 2 shi*s if it helps them or not. They need to be skating until they can't skate anymore. It's all about being responsible and accountable. I want to here that they're at least making the effort. It's disgusting.

It does have something to do with the players wether you want to admit it or not. It's accountability, I don't know if you ever played sports but when I played you don't just play when your coach/boss tells you to. You go out and give it your all, everytime, everynight. There's no excuses to not be practicing. It's pathetic that they don't go to the practice. I dont' care if the practices are optional or not, they need to practice. It really shows who cares about the team and who doesn't. I really really wish they'd release the names of players that show up for the optional practices. This team has no heart or soul anymore. No players like Langdon or Stock. Granted I'm not saying either or both of them would have made a difference but at least it shows initiative to TRY and be better. You're blind Brook if you think the players have nothing to do with this situation. Sather can only lead them so far. Without the players showing some kind of drive or initiative it's useless.

What it boils down to is this organization is in probably in one of the worst states any sports organization anywhere could be in. The management sucks, the players suck everything sucks. It's horrible.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Not that I was among them, but even the optimists couldn't have forseen that Jagr would be here 10 days and STILL not have gone through a formal team practice. Wouldn't that be the first thing you'd do as coach?

I too wish Holik would take it up a notch Edge. He'll either succeed in outing Sather, or wind up getting traded. From Bobby's perspective, that seems like a win-win.

I agree 100%. But for me, even with Jagr this isnt cutting it. They didnt even show a pulse.

As both a coach and a GM, Sather is failing. There is no way around it. But even with practice, this team isn't getting that much better kiddies. Too many holes, too little character.

Old
02-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Holik is in the driver's seat the entire way. He can basically do whatever the hell he wants. He doesnt have to listen or take orders from anyone. BOBBY is more immovable(word?) than Sather. There is no one in the world of hockey that would ever take on his 9 million/per salary for 4 more years so he is going to be a Ranger for a while. He is untouchable to Sather. His contract is untradable, Sather would be out of hockey if he sent him to Hartford, and if he gets benched than he becomes a fan sitting ice level while getting paid 45 million bucks. And if Sather even dared to try and do something like bench Holik than he would look like a hypocrite. Holik WAS Sather's boy. He was Glen's signature FA signing and by punishing him he would basically be showing that he made a $45 million mistake. Holik should take this unique oppurtunity to say whatever the hell he pleases because at this point he can use his massive amount of leverage to force changes on the team.

Old
02-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
Holik is in the driver's seat the entire way. He can basically do whatever the hell he wants. He doesnt have to listen or take orders from anyone. BOBBY is more immovable(word?) than Sather. There is no one in the world of hockey that would ever take on his 9 million/per salary for 4 more years so he is going to be a Ranger for a while. He is untouchable to Sather. His contract is untradable, Sather would be out of hockey if he sent him to Hartford, and if he gets benched than he becomes a fan sitting ice level while getting paid 45 million bucks. And if Sather even dared to try and do something like bench Holik than he would look like a hypocrite. Holik WAS Sather's boy. He was Glen's signature FA signing and by punishing him he would basically be showing that he made a $45 million mistake. Holik should take this unique oppurtunity to say whatever the hell he pleases because at this point he can use his massive amount of leverage to force changes on the team.
Yup. For better or for worse, Holik is untouchable here. Despite what Sather said when he was first hired, there will be no multimillionaires in Hartford. And no one will take on Holik's contract with the new CBA looming overhead. The only thing Sather can do is drop him to the 4th line or scratch him, and even that's become pretty much impossible with Lindros out of the lineup.

Holik knows this team is sinking fast, and if I were in him position, I'd be very tempted to take potshots at Sather the entire way down.

Old
02-02-2004, 08:57 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Yup. For better or for worse, Holik is untouchable here. Despite what Sather said when he was first hired, there will be no multimillionaires in Hartford. And no one will take on Holik's contract with the new CBA looming overhead. The only thing Sather can do is drop him to the 4th line or scratch him, and even that's become pretty much impossible with Lindros out of the lineup.

Holik knows this team is sinking fast, and if I were in him position, I'd be very tempted to take potshots at Sather the entire way down.
It could be interesting to see how often Holik snipes at Sather. Imagine Sather's frustration if Holik starts saying more critical things to the press? I don't think we've see anything near a bottoming out.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
That's exactly my point Brook you stated in your last post that practice wasn't going to do anything. My point is that I dont' give 2 shi*s if it helps them or not. They need to be skating until they can't skate anymore. It's all about being responsible and accountable. I want to here that they're at least making the effort. It's disgusting.

It does have something to do with the players wether you want to admit it or not. It's accountability, I don't know if you ever played sports but when I played you don't just play when your coach/boss tells you to. You go out and give it your all, everytime, everynight. There's no excuses to not be practicing. It's pathetic that they don't go to the practice. I dont' care if the practices are optional or not, they need to practice. It really shows who cares about the team and who doesn't. I really really wish they'd release the names of players that show up for the optional practices. This team has no heart or soul anymore. No players like Langdon or Stock. Granted I'm not saying either or both of them would have made a difference but at least it shows initiative to TRY and be better. You're blind Brook if you think the players have nothing to do with this situation. Sather can only lead them so far. Without the players showing some kind of drive or initiative it's useless.

What it boils down to is this organization is in probably in one of the worst states any sports organization anywhere could be in. The management sucks, the players suck everything sucks. It's horrible.
So you're suggesting that even though the coaching staff didn't call a practice, the players should show up anyway and practice without them? I did play sports in high school and if we had ever done that we would have been beaten up by the coach and then thrown off the team. "It's my way or not at all" she would bellow at the top of her lungs!

Players are supposed to do what they are told. Blame the guy who's running the team for not calling practices, not the players. Having players police themselves only works if there are clear rules and expectations for them to follow. There is no system here, there is no accountablity here, there is no team here.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:45 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
So you're suggesting that even though the coaching staff didn't call a practice, the players should show up anyway and practice without them? I did play sports in high school and if we had ever done that we would have been beaten up by the coach and then thrown off the team. "It's my way or not at all" she would bellow at the top of her lungs!

Players are supposed to do what they are told. Blame the guy who's running the team for not calling practices, not the players. Having players police themselves only works if there are clear rules and expectations for them to follow. There is no system here, there is no accountablity here, there is no team here.
sort of like the puff piece they just played on gamenight!

Old
02-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
sort of like the puff piece they just played on gamenight!
Sorry, I haven't watched a pre-game show in years.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:29 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:

Didn't call a practice? Brook maybe you haven't read the thread..........

"again today the rangers had a optional practice"

Here's the definition of optional....

"Left to choice; not compulsory or automatic"

Meaning no they did not HAVE to go, but they COULD go if they wanted to.

I'm sorry you had a coach in highschool that would beat you up. Sounds like a pretty sh*tty coach if you ask me. Our coach would be happy to see us practicing if he left it up to us and we showed up, it shows that you want to get better and have incentive.

Don't get me wrong I'm not abdicating the blame for Sather at all. It is his fault that the practices have been "optional" but on the same line, you shouldn't abdicate the blame away from the players. If the players actually CARED, they'd be out there practicing.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Didn't call a practice? Brook maybe you haven't read the thread..........

"again today the rangers had a optional practice"

Here's the definition of optional....

"Left to choice; not compulsory or automatic"

Meaning no they did not HAVE to go, but they COULD go if they wanted to.

I'm sorry you had a coach in highschool that would beat you up. Sounds like a pretty sh*tty coach if you ask me. Our coach would be happy to see us practicing if he left it up to us and we showed up, it shows that you want to get better and have incentive.

Don't get me wrong I'm not abdicating the blame for Sather at all. It is his fault that the practices have been "optional" but on the same line, you shouldn't abdicate the blame away from the players. If the players actually CARED, they'd be out there practicing.
Actually she was a great coach--if you didn't listen you paid a price--you didn't play. If you dogged it, you paid a price--you didn't play. If you didn't try--you didn't play. However, if you tried hard--even if weren't terribly skilled--you were rewarded. If you listened, practiced hard and made a honest attempt to learn from your mistakes, you played a lot. Yes, she yelled, but there was always a reason. And she was fair. Chances are she would make a great hockey coach

You're asking the wrong people to change the culture of losing that has overwhelmed this organization. Players need direction, they crave direction and they would gladly follow someone who was willing to lead them out of the hell they've found themselves in here. But, they are incapable of doing it themselves.

Old
02-03-2004, 12:22 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Actually she was a great coach--if you didn't listen you paid a price--you didn't play. If you dogged it, you paid a price--you didn't play. If you didn't try--you didn't play. However, if you tried hard--even if weren't terribly skilled--you were rewarded. If you listened, practiced hard and made a honest attempt to learn from your mistakes, you played a lot. Yes, she yelled, but there was always a reason. And she was fair. Chances are she would make a great hockey coach
Well she's definitely what the doctor ordered for this moribund franchise!

Old
02-03-2004, 01:35 AM
LiquidClown

Quote:
You're asking the wrong people to change the culture of losing that has overwhelmed this organization. Players need direction, they crave direction and they would gladly follow someone who was willing to lead them out of the hell they've found themselves in here. But, they are incapable of doing it themselves.

I see what you're trying to say, yes players do benefit from having a good coach, I'm not going to deny that, you'll always be a better team with a coach then without a coach that's not the point. The point is these guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game, they owe it to the fans (whom pay the salary of the players) to show effort and actually play hard night in and night out, I even understand some players have bad days or bad weeks I can forgive that, but to be THIS horrible with THIS kind of roster is way unexcusable, if you dont' think the players recoginize this in some shape or form you're mistaken. What should naturally come next when the coach says it's optional? The players saying..."Hey guys the practice is optional but we need to get together and do something, even just skating" as even just skating brings a team closer, whether they unite against Glenn Sather, play for themselves, or even play for Ranger blue doesn't matter to me whatsoever, a team should be like family and do what's best for the whole group. What's the best choice when you're 1-7-2 in your last 10? Sit at home. Or practice as a team as often as you can? If it's optional and you need a rest desperatly, or you're nursing an injury fine take the practice off.

Keep in mind Brook we're not talking about peewee hockey here, these guys aren't children (well most aren't) and should know by now what's the right thing to do whether you're told to or not.

Closed Thread