HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Playoff hopes diminishing

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 02:23 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
Playoff hopes diminishing

Now that our touch with playoff status is fading away lets talk what happens between now and the trade deadline!

Players I see as being valuable for a playoff team (not trading away our youth and top talent):

Gratton - big, decent 2 way
Sillinger - versatile forward every team needs more of come playoffs
Burke - great security
Wilson - gritty character guy
Savage - extra offense?

outside chance (bigger trades)

Hrdina
Hulse
Mara

One thing I have been thinking about...with the pending labour shortage we may see a very uncharacteristic trade deadline.

I could see a team like Ottawa pull out all the stops and try to WIN THIS YEAR at all costs!

Or a team like St. Louis give up some future for the extra depth to get in the playoffs (and keep their streak alive).

Old
02-02-2004, 02:34 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
Now that our touch with playoff status is fading away lets talk what happens between now and the trade deadline!

Players I see as being valuable for a playoff team (not trading away our youth and top talent):

Gratton - big, decent 2 way
Sillinger - versatile forward every team needs more of come playoffs
Burke - great security
Wilson - gritty character guy
Savage - extra offense?

outside chance (bigger trades)

Hrdina
Hulse
Mara

One thing I have been thinking about...with the pending labour shortage we may see a very uncharacteristic trade deadline.

I could see a team like Ottawa pull out all the stops and try to WIN THIS YEAR at all costs!

Or a team like St. Louis give up some future for the extra depth to get in the playoffs (and keep their streak alive).
Geez, I'd hate to deal Mara at this point. He's actually had a fairly strong season but his performance has been overshadowed by Tanabe's unbeleivable skating and overall excitement level.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Geez, I'd hate to deal Mara at this point. He's actually had a fairly strong season but his performance has been overshadowed by Tanabe's unbeleivable skating and overall excitement level.
I'd hate to deal Mara too, but I think ideally he is a 2nd pair defensemen, and we need him to be a top pair. My new philosophy is that everyone is available for the right price. If it will improve this team, I will trade a player like Mara. It just has to be part of the big picture, not trade Mara now to win in 8 years.

Old
02-03-2004, 01:41 PM
ALA YotesPhan

From seeing the glass half full.

I am not ready to throw in the playoff towel just yet. The coyotes just survived a stretch of 9 games against solid playoff bound teams. Yet still sit at .500. As hard as the schedule has been the last few weeks, it is just as soft after the all-star break.
Only 4 of the first 14 games after the break are against western conference playoff teams. The coyotes get the ducks twice, Edmonton twice and Pittsburgh, all teams struggling. If the coyotes can get on a roll they play 11 games in 19 days. No more than one day off between games. Suck it up, strap em on and play hard.

Closed Thread