HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

smyth

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Flyers dom NHL

vCash: 500
smyth

what would it take if the flyers were to try and trade for smyth?

Old
02-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Walsher

Simon Gagne +
or
Janne Pitkanen
or
Macheal Handzus and Jim Vandermeer

Old
02-02-2004, 02:43 AM
Flyers dom NHL

pitkanen is untouchable

Old
02-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Lowetide

There was an article in the Journal today, in Jim Matheson's column. It basically said that if Lowe did decide to trade Smyth, that Hitchcock would probably get Clarke to push hard for him.

In the same article, it mentioned something like "there's no way Edmonton would move Smyth without getting Gagne back."

imo, Matheson is the best connected media person in Edmonton in terms of the Oilers.

For what it's worth.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers dom NHL
pitkanen is untouchable
Your GM is Bobby Clarke I highly doubt anyone is untouchable.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Oiltalk

Should have a poll on most overused words when vieweing hfboards. I bet "untouchable" would top that list. No player in the NHL is untouchable. The best player to ever play the game wasn't so why would Pitkanen be? The Flyers don't want to trade him right now, but if Philly was offered Brodeur don't you think they would bite? I rest my case.

Carter, or Gagne have to be in any potential deal.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Lowetide

Give credit, though. At least there's no mondo qualifier like "with the understanding that no roster player or Coloiacovo or Steen or anyone else who can skate backwards would be coming your way, what would be fair for Ryan Smyth?"

Old
02-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Mizral

I suspect Lowe would bite on a Smyth for Gagne trade straight up. Gagne is cheaper, perhaps more scoring potential. Seems like a guy who might fit in with Lowe & co. Lowe obviously would know him from the Olympic team.

The problem with this I see is that Clarke has been notoriosly lovey-dovey with Gagne. Some of the trade rumours I've seen for Gagne that apperantly Clarke turned down are mind-boggling. Clarke truely believes this guy is going to be a superstar, and he's such a stubborn man, I don't know if he'll move him at all. Something tells me that, to Clarke at least, Gagne is more valuable than Pitkanen.

That said, if I'm wrong, Smyth for Gagne I think would work.

I'd rather see Handzus & Vandemeer for Smyth though. Vandermeer is just what the doctor ordered on the Oilers blueline. Plus he's Albertan, and Lowe loves Alberta boys. Handzus can skate faster than some seem to think too.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I suspect Lowe would bite on a Smyth for Gagne trade straight up. Gagne is cheaper, perhaps more scoring potential. Seems like a guy who might fit in with Lowe & co. Lowe obviously would know him from the Olympic team.

The problem with this I see is that Clarke has been notoriosly lovey-dovey with Gagne. Some of the trade rumours I've seen for Gagne that apperantly Clarke turned down are mind-boggling. Clarke truely believes this guy is going to be a superstar, and he's such a stubborn man, I don't know if he'll move him at all. Something tells me that, to Clarke at least, Gagne is more valuable than Pitkanen.

That said, if I'm wrong, Smyth for Gagne I think would work.

I'd rather see Handzus & Vandemeer for Smyth though. Vandermeer is just what the doctor ordered on the Oilers blueline. Plus he's Albertan, and Lowe loves Alberta boys. Handzus can skate faster than some seem to think too.
Isn't Vandemeer injured though.

02-02-2004, 03:28 AM
Seachd

Quote:
I'm not a big Vandermeer fan. What you see is what you're going to get. I'm not sure if there's much more upside to him.

Gagne would be okay, I guess. I doubt there's any way they can get Pitkanen - no way I can see, anyway. Carter would be interesting too.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I'm not a big Vandermeer fan. What you see is what you're going to get. I'm not sure if there's much more upside to him.

Gagne would be okay, I guess. I doubt there's any way they can get Pitkanen - no way I can see, anyway. Carter would be interesting too.
Carter personally wouldn't be the guy for me. He's no closer to NHL than Pouliet or Niinimakii. Gagne is of interest though. He can play center or LW, and versatile players(ie York) are always a welcome addition. I'm not a big Vandermeer fan either. We have better options here IMO. If I was the Oilers GM, and Clarke offered me Gagne though, I'd think long and hard, putting in such factors as loyalty and how it may affect future contracts... in the end though, I think I'd welcome Gagne to Edmonton.

By the way Seachd, I miss your old avatar

Old
02-02-2004, 05:16 AM
GorillazXL

The only way Smyth would be traded is that we get something in return that will solve our biggest problem: A number 1 Centerman... of course they don't grow on trees and and few teams have an abundance of them. Philly will not trade their #1 centerman, and Handzus isn't of equal value to Smyth. By trading Smyth away, we've basically gutted the heart of the team, with this said it would be time for a makeover... Start fresh...

Trade Smyth for Jeff Carter and Jim Vandermeer (three Rebels on the Oils D...all trained by a sutter!).

GXL

Old
02-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Tanko

[QUOTE=Jamie]Carter personally wouldn't be the guy for me. He's no closer to NHL than Pouliet or Niinimakii.

Yes he is.Carter would make the Oilers next year.This guy is a stud.

Old
02-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers dom NHL
what would it take if the flyers were to try and trade for smyth?
Comrie

Old
02-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Mizral

[QUOTE=Tanko]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Carter personally wouldn't be the guy for me. He's no closer to NHL than Pouliet or Niinimakii.

Agreed. Carter has the makings of a great, top-line player.

But part of that says that I don't think the Flyers will move him. I could see them moving Gagne, but Carter I think is on the same plane as Pitkanen, and I don't have many doubts that Clarke thinks the same way.

As for Vandemeer, sometimes you guys puzzle me. Just because he has not a lot of upside he's not worth getting? He'd be a very good defenseman to have in the organization, and might even be a top 4 defenseman. He has the makings of a real safe, big crease-clearing defenseman for years to come. Something the Oilers could certainly utalize.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Digger12

Quote:
As for Vandemeer, sometimes you guys puzzle me. Just because he has not a lot of upside he's not worth getting? He'd be a very good defenseman to have in the organization, and might even be a top 4 defenseman. He has the makings of a real safe, big crease-clearing defenseman for years to come. Something the Oilers could certainly utalize.
Sometimes you puzzle me...

Smith, Semenov, Ulanov, Cross, Ferguson, Greene as a prospect...we have the safe, defensive dmen types in spades right now. What we need is someone back there with a modicum of talent that can man a PP point at least adequately.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want Vandemeer for depth, but IMO this team has bigger fish to fry.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
At he WJC, Carter IMO was the stand out in the Getzlaf-Carter-Burns line. He made the smart defensive plays and the offensive power forward moves. I can't say i've seen enough of Pouliot and Ninimmaki, but in the games/ scrimages that I have seen them in, Carter is more close then they are.

'Sides that would give us three good solid 1-2 line prospects at center, not to mention Brodziak. I don't think the Oilers can get anything back that can help pull them out of the hole they dug for themselves imediately. Everyone is gearing up for the playoffs and some of the big money teams can afford to give away their future knowing they could buy it back someday (ie. Rangers, Philly etc.) A team like Philly are so desperate for a cup, if they feel this is the year you bet they will give up some future for a cup in return.

GXL

Old
02-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
By the way Seachd, I miss your old avatar
:p I'll probably bring it back. I've had it for probably a year now, and I'm just fooling around with others. I kind of like it too.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:31 PM
LawnDemon

i'd like to see gagne come back for smyth - straight across. i think gagne would do very well with the oilers...

edit: i had originally typed "i think gagne would do very well in the oilers system" but then it dawned on me - what system?

MacT MUST GO (new closing remark to each post)

Old
02-03-2004, 12:09 AM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Should have a poll on most overused words when vieweing hfboards. I bet "untouchable" would top that list. No player in the NHL is untouchable. The best player to ever play the game wasn't so why would Pitkanen be? The Flyers don't want to trade him right now, but if Philly was offered Brodeur don't you think they would bite? I rest my case.

Carter, or Gagne have to be in any potential deal.
The word untouchable only applies to Mario Lemieux. If he goes we can DEFINITELY say nobody is untouchable!

Closed Thread