HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak vs Price

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
  #101
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He actually said "we have two great young players and there is only one net."

I don't once remember Gainey flat out saying it was Price's job.

I agree it is his job and we should live and die with him.

But the players are already confident in him.

Halak, on the other hand, needs to play with this team so they are confident in him too in case of 1) a Price injury or 2) a Price breakdown (13-15 goals over 2-3 games).
Price will not have a breakdown. Mark my Words.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
  #102
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Price will not have a breakdown. Mark my Words.
Wow.

Great debate! Assuming!

He let's in 4-5 goals next game he plays.. he's broken down in my opinion.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 12:09 PM
  #103
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Wow.

Great debate! Assuming!

He let's in 4-5 goals next game he plays.. he's broken down in my opinion.
Im not gonna argue with you on if he'll break down in the next games. There's no way of knowing it. You're not a psychic and neither am I. I just don't think that's gonna happen.
Because only most people here, I have an objective opinion.

And Price didn't play bad last night. Letting in 4Goals next game won't mean squat. It's how he lets them go in that's important. Just like yesterday, a lot of things should be blamed before putting some of it on Carey.

For some reason, people don't even mention all the remarkable saves he pulled as well yesterday.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
  #104
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Im not gonna argue with you on if he'll break down in the next games. There's no way of knowing it. You're not a psychic and neither am I. I just don't think that's gonna happen.
Because only most people here, I have an objective opinion.

And Price didn't play bad last night. Letting in 4Goals next game won't mean squat. It's how he lets them go in that's important. Just like yesterday, a lot of things should be blamed before putting some of it on Carey.

For some reason, people don't even mention all the remarkable saves he pulled as well yesterday.
Exactly. Isn't it odd that his game started to dip when Shark players decided they could interfere at will without the refs doing anything about it?

I think people forgot how great he was on that 5 on 3.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 12:24 PM
  #105
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
If Halak gets the opportunity, he will outplay Price imo. But, i don't think he'll be given the chance though.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
  #106
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Exactly. Isn't it odd that his game started to dip when Shark players decided they could interfere at will without the refs doing anything about it?

I think people forgot how great he was on that 5 on 3.
Personally...the Habs team as a whole last night, gets a mulligan from me.

They didn't play their best game either offensively or defensively, yet they were still in it until the end.

Just wasn't our night...we can look for culprits all day or just move on to Thursday

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
  #107
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Personally...the Habs team as a whole last night, gets a mulligan from me.

They didn't play their best game either offensively or defensively, yet they were still in it until the end.

Just wasn't our night...we can look for culprits all day or just move on to Thursday
Yup, exactly. People fail to realize that despite this being one of the poorest performances we've had on D this season, and despite a mediocre less than average outing by our goalie, we still managed to score 4 ES goals and still fought back.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
  #108
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He actually said "we have two great young players and there is only one net."

I don't once remember Gainey flat out saying it was Price's job.

I agree it is his job and we should live and die with him.

But the players are already confident in him.

Halak, on the other hand, needs to play with this team so they are confident in him too in case of 1) a Price injury or 2) a Price breakdown (13-15 goals over 2-3 games).
You right. He did not flat out say it's Price's job but, he played him the next 4 games. Halak should definitely get some starts before the end of the season but no more then 3-4 in total. Price has got to be on a role going into the Playoffs.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
  #109
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Arguing with you is like arguing with a rock. It's useless and senseless.

And yet another brilliant post!!!

If you don't like the thread or can't debate about the topic like everybody else, just leave....you don't have to personally attack me when you have no idea what your talking about.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
  #110
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
And yet another brilliant post!!!

If you don't like the thread or can't debate about the topic like everybody else, just leave....you don't have to personally attack me when you have no idea what your talking about.
Look, you keep going on that you're allowed to express your opinion etc.

Expressing opinions goes both ways.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
  #111
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
its actually Carbo and Gainey who said Price is #1, so are we wrong for considering he is the #1?

Gainey said in the press conference after the deadline that "we have 2 good young goalies who will be competing for the #1 job!!!!" Where do you see where it says that Price is the #1?

Besides, I don't care who the #1 is, just as long as they both get a chance to compete for the position. I don't care if Price is the #1 for the next 10 years and I don't care if its Halak that is the #1 for 10 years, just as long as both goalies were seriously looked at and given an honest shot.

That was the main point in this thread. I'm not against one Habs goalie or the other, I just don't want them to make the same mistake they made with Theodore and Garon. We should have made Garon the #1 and traded Theodore to LA.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:07 PM
  #112
ThePriceisRight
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Price will start on Thursday (IMO) and that is the correct decision. Then Halak on Saturday against the Kings and Price on Sunday.
word

ThePriceisRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
  #113
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,354
vCash: 500
ok, I agree that Halak deserves the next game. Butnot the next 3-4 games. Price is the clear number 1 and Halak will have to be AMAZING if he wants more games. That's simply it. Heck, Bob even traded Huet to give Price more games. It's clear in his mind that he wants to give Price experience as a number one. Halak won't steal his job.

wedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
  #114
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
No Puckhead, I'm not missing your point at all. Price wasn't handed the #1 job...he actually earned it on the ice. He's played very well this year for the most part and Price, though maybe he didn't necessarily "beat out" Huet, its not Prices fault Gainey and Carbo didn't want to pay Huet his money that was due to him...right? He was for the most part the defacto 1B to Huets 1A so with no Huet anymore how do justify giving the #1 job or even having a competition for the #1 job to a Halak even as well as he was playing this year in the AHL...eh? You can't obviously especially in the midst of a playoff push. And besides, who's to say Price in practice hasn't been more impressive than Halak was.

I keep going back to that cause thats stuff we the fans don't see. I'm sure if Halak was better than Price or if Gainey and Carbo thought Halak gave the team a better chance to win than Price, he would have gotten the job. So IMO, Halak hasn't been pushed to the backburner, its just not the time to have an open competition to be #1 goalie on one of the best teams in the NHL and have them split games. We'll see what happens next year in training camp but for now, the absolute right decision was to give the keys to Price and he hasn't dissapointed albeit a bit of a speedbump last night in San Jose.

Um....sorry, but Price was definitely just handed the #1 job. He never played well enough yet this season to earn it. ...thats for DAMN sure!!!!
Halak came up last year and done a better job in a more critical situation last year (down the stretch before the playoffs) and he didn't get one bit of recognition for it, but Price plays a couple of decent games this season, he also plays a couple of rotten games where he looked lost and yet he earned the #1 job.

Give me a break!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:25 PM
  #115
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
I don't think it's fair to say that Price is the definitive number 1 goalie right now. Halak is better than most people think, and if he's given the chance, he might be able to take the number 1 spot away from Price.

I'd rather have the better goalie starting in nets

People in this thread are acting as if Price is automatically number 1 right now, and that Halak should just be given one game here and there in order to rest Price, which I think is ********.

If Halak plays well, he should be given his chance to shine, and the same thing goes for Price

I agree....thats why I think Halak should get a few games now and then they will know which goalie they should go with down the stretch, otherwise, we will go with Price whether he is ready/capable or not and we'll never know what Halak could have done for us.

There are 15 games left in the season, so what would be wrong with giving Halak a few games now to give him a shot and to get him comfortable playing, then give Price a couple more starts and that way both guys got their chance and we can go with the goalie that played better.

I'm just saying that Halak deserves a chance to prove himself before we just close the door on him.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
  #116
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Why, oh why is our fanbase the most stupid among all?

Price is our franchise player. He must play and get some experience. One year ago, the kid was playing in the CHL for god's sake! He made some mistakes yesterday, but he arguably had the longest streak (3 games) without giving a softie I've seen from a Habs goalie since a long long time.

Give him a break! He can make some mistakes, as every other player. I've seen other players make many more mistakes this year (Streit - Higgins) and not getting bashed by anyone...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
  #117
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Look, you keep going on that you're allowed to express your opinion etc.

Expressing opinions goes both ways.

He is more than welcome to express his opinion about hockey, the Habs, the NHL or whatever else we may be discussing in these boards, but he mostly just posts idiodic stuff that has nothing to do with the discussion or he personally attacks the people that post.

What does a personal attack on me have to do with the Habs and on this thread?

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
  #118
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
Why, oh why is our fanbase the most stupid among all?

Price is our franchise player. He must play and get some experience. One year ago, the kid was playing in the CHL for god's sake! He made some mistakes yesterday, but he arguably had the longest streak (3 games) without giving a softie I've seen from a Habs goalie since a long long time.

Give him a break! He can make some mistakes, as every other player. I've seen other players make many more mistakes this year (Streit - Higgins) and not getting bashed by anyone...

Thats the main reason why he should have played this whole year in Hamilton!!!!
Trying to make the jump from Junior hockey to the NHL is very huge, especially for a goalie.

I have nothing against the kid because he is a valuable prospect, but I just don't want to see the Habs rush him for something he isn't ready for and assume he is the future of the team without even giving Halak a fair shot. Price might be a total flop next year because of how things went this season....who knows.
Halak has been the best goalie in the AHL for the last 3 years, but I guess that doesn't mean anything to most people in here because Price is supposed to be the saviour.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
  #119
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Thats the main reason why he should have played this whole year in Hamilton!!!!
Trying to make the jump from Junior hockey to the NHL is very huge, especially for a goalie.

I have nothing against the kid because he is a valuable prospect, but I just don't want to see the Habs rush him for something he isn't ready for and assume he is the future of the team without even giving Halak a fair shot. Price might be a total flop next year because of how things went this season....who knows.
Halak has been the best goalie in the AHL for the last 3 years, but I guess that doesn't mean anything to most people in here because Price is supposed to be the saviour.
Price has .911 of SAVE%. This isn't quite bad... He has Ryan Miller-like stats, and this, at a younger age and arguably with a weaker team - not by far, but weaker for sure -. Why would he flop? He's already one of the good goalies in the league at age 20. He plays with men since less than a year.

The kid is alright. He's an NHL goalie.

This fall, the Kings tried to rush Jonathan Bernier into the NHL. The kid was clearly not ready. Price is all right.

What do you think? That Gainey does not have any experience and that he has no idea about what he's doing? Come on! The man is a hockey hall-of-famer, and knows what it takes to win. Price got it all.

It's his first year. It's normal for him to find it hard. What did you expect? A perfect season?

Give the kid a break. He's great.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
  #120
Africa.
Registered User
 
Africa.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 3,635
vCash: 500
I've never seen a dumber thread then this. It was his 3rd game in 4th night, and he played a late game and considering the Habs players always had a disadvantage because of time, their body always felt like it was 3 hours later then it really was.

Africa. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
  #121
_DrMario_
 
_DrMario_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
Price has .911 of SAVE%. This isn't quite bad... He has Ryan Miller-like stats, and this, at a younger age and arguably with a weaker team - not by far, but weaker for sure -. Why would he flop? He's already one of the good goalies in the league at age 20. He plays with men since less than a year.

The kid is alright. He's an NHL goalie.

This fall, the Kings tried to rush Jonathan Bernier into the NHL. The kid was clearly not ready. Price is all right.

What do you think? That Gainey does not have any experience and that he has no idea about what he's doing? Come on! The man is a hockey hall-of-famer, and knows what it takes to win. Price got it all.

It's his first year. It's normal for him to find it hard. What did you expect? A perfect season?

Give the kid a break. He's great.

Did you just way the Habs are weaker then the Sabres?

_DrMario_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 03:07 PM
  #122
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DrMario_ View Post
Did you just way the Habs are weaker then the Sabres?
The Habs are weaker from the Sabres edition of 2006-2007. Not by that much, but they are. And Miller, this year, had similar stats.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
  #123
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
Price loose a game = HE SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN HAMILTON!!!!!

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
  #124
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,820
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
And this is based on what??? Price never done a thing yet at the NHL level and he may never do anything....he might be a total flop for all we know. He hasn't exactly stolen the show like most good #1 goalies do.....so why are we calling him the future and the franchises goalie of the Habs already?
We don't know what he is going to do yet....so all I'm saying is that we give Halak the very same opportunities as Price and then after they have both been looked at, we'll make the decision of who will be the #1 for years to come. We can't just assume that Price is gonna be the guy and trade Halak away because we don't need him, because Price may not be good enough to do it.

I'm not going for one goalie more than the other, all I care about is that the Habs do well and play good hockey. But I just want a competition for the #1 job instead of us handing the job over to a goalie that may not be able to do it and then getting rid of a goalie that may be more than able to handle it.
What as Halak done at this level? You make no sence.Price played a bad game,big ****in deal.

When Halak had the chance to put us in the playoffs last year in MSG,what did he do?Gived up a goal early in the game,a slap shot from way high in the circle...

I don't hate Halak,I never wanted him traded and wanted both Price and Halak up here and that's what happened and im happy about it,but if Halak plays and sucks,are you gonna send him back to Hamilton after every bad game?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
  #125
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,336
vCash: 500
You have to be kidding me. What the **** is wrong with some of you? it's bad enough we had to put up with all the ****ing huet-price crap, now your trying to turn it into price-halak? what the ****!!! THEY PLAY FOR THE SAME ****ING TEAM!!!!!!!

Price is our future, and Halak is a good young goalie, we should be happy to have them both. Price played well until last night, it's apart of his learning curve. I thought I read Gainey or Carbo saying Halak will get some games. When Price is in nets, I cheer for him, when Huet was in net I cheered for him, when Halak is in net I cheer for him.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.