HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter = Vanek?

Old
03-04-2008, 01:08 PM
scottie doesnt know

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter = Vanek?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13868

scottie doesnt know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Richards eats souls*

Sign him now.

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
That's good news if we loose him. Then we get some sweet picks.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:17 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, this is not looking too great, I mean Carter is jacking up his price every game and it looks like he's smart enough to know it.

I still think we might be able to get a 3 year 13 million dollar deal or so, but it's going to be tough.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I dreamt last night that Carter was a San Jose Shark, and he was destroying us.

I was very sad.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Chainsaw

I wish we never signed Briere.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Dammit....it's bad enough that we hype up the whole situation with Carter on this internet message board....but why do people in the damn press have to hype it up so much too? That sucks. Carter better not get the impression that he can land some Vanek-like deal. He should be hoping he can land a deal like the one Boyes just got.

Besides....the comparison is way over the top, let's not get too hasty in our assessment of Carter's situation...we're nearing the end of the season and his numbers are half what Vanek's ended up at last year. Vanek had 43 goals and 84 points.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Dammit....it's bad enough that we hype up the whole situation with Carter on this internet message board....but why do people in the damn press have to hype it up so much too? That sucks. Carter better not get the impression that he can land some Vanek-like deal. He should be hoping he can land a deal like the one Boyes just got.

Besides....the comparison is way over the top, let's not get too hasty in our assessment of Carter's situation...we're nearing the end of the season and his numbers are half what Vanek's ended up at last year. Vanek had 43 goals and 84 points.
He better hurry up and score 40 goals if he thinks he can. I think $4 million a year is fine, but if it was a 4 year deal that puts it ending right as his first season of UFA starts. That could be trouble.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
scottymac223

Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
Having Briere attract the other temas best defensive unit is a great thing. It has provided freedom for the other lines and those other lines have responded all season. He should be recognized for his PP ability. Yes his contract is huge, and no he hasn't been quite the player I thought he'd be at even strength, for a litany of reasons. Foremost a lack of Gagne.

Cap issues can be figured out. Ask Sami to retire (he wanted to anyway). Ship Knuble. Ship or waive Hatcher.

I love the way Carter is playing right now. If the real Jeff Carter has just stood up, lock'em up long term.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Briere's biggest contribution to this team was taking the pressure off of Richards and Carter. They would not be having good seasons if they were the top 2 centres out of training camp.

Old
03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Kaktus*

Eklund is a freaking moron.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac223 View Post
Having Briere attract the other temas best defensive unit is a great thing. It has provided freedom for the other lines and those other lines have responded all season. He should be recognized for his PP ability. Yes his contract is huge, and no he hasn't been quite the player I thought he'd be at even strength, for a litany of reasons. Foremost a lack of Gagne.

Cap issues can be figured out. Ask Sami to retire (he wanted to anyway). Ship Knuble. Ship or waive Hatcher.

I love the way Carter is playing right now. If the real Jeff Carter has just stood up, lock'em up long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Briere's biggest contribution to this team was taking the pressure off of Richards and Carter. They would not be having good seasons if they were the top 2 centres out of training camp.
I was going to say this in response to the Riyadh post, but you guys beat me to it

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Eklund is a freaking moron.
he's not on this... Carter is a prime candidate as a RFA target for next year. we have salary cap problems, he's a young talented forward with a high ceiling... if you believe in him, he's easily worth trying to poach at the right price.

i think we match most offers someone would really want to give up, however... we're not as exposed as Anaheim was.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
he's not on this... Carter is a prime candidate as a RFA target for next year. we have salary cap problems, he's a young talented forward with a high ceiling... if you believe in him, he's easily worth trying to poach at the right price.

i think we match most offers someone would really want to give up, however... we're not as exposed as Anaheim was.
What offer? Will someone offer 7M for Carter? If some team offers 5 years 20M a year fine. We will match it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
What offer? Will someone offer 7M for Carter? If some team offers 5 years 20M a year fine. We will match it.
RFA offers are a combination of strategy and value of a player... any team knows that we're like to match that offer, so it would be pointless. Thomas Vanek was NOT worth 7M last year, that was a strategic attempt to get a good young player away from a club.

If a team really wants Carter they're going to offer 5+ million on an offer sheet.

Old
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
27roenick97

i dunno if he'll put up the numbers vanek did, and i don't think he deserves nearly the money vanek got. most people realize what lowe did was sheer desperation and that neither offer sheets worked out; the general consensus was that he overpaid in both offers, buffalo just decided to match it.

do i think carter will put up vanek-esque numbers? probably, maybe not as many helpers, but the goals probably will be there. should we give him vanek money? absolutely not. if we do that we will be in salary cap hell and there won't be any way out of it. homer should be able to get him at 3.5 to 4mil per year for three or four years. maybe at that juncture of time, we can unload briere and carter/richards will be a nasty one two punch for us, but thats waaaaay down the road. i forget how the breakdown is on picks compared to the offer, but if we were to get an offer that yielded us three first rounders on a bad, or somewhat bad team, you'd think we'd have to consider it, right?

in all honesty, w/ the cap going up and us having movable assets, i can't forsee us having problems unless carter is asking for 5mil or something around there.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Doesn't Carter have to actually sign the offer sheet before we have to match it? I don't think he'd do that.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
Doesn't Carter have to actually sign the offer sheet before we have to match it? I don't think he'd do that.
I don't see why he wouldn't. If Philly is offering him $4 million a year and Edmonton comes along and offers him $6 million, why wouldn't he sign it? It's a lot of money. Either Philly matches or he goes to Edmonton, either way he's a rich man. I don't see why anyone would turn that amount of money down to play a sport.

You can argue that $4 million is enough and you'd be happy to make that much money...but remember that these guys are lucky to have 15 year careers and I don't blame them one bit for trying to get as much as they can in those years.

Old
03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
scottymac223

Quote:
Why not? I have been a Flyer fan for 27 years. If I had been a young stud player and the Flyers drafted me and I was in Carters situation and the Flyers offered me 4.5 for 4 and another team offered me 6.5 for 4, uh I taking the extra 8 Mil.

It's a business.

Old
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
scottymac223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I don't see why he wouldn't. If Philly is offering him $4 million a year and Edmonton comes along and offers him $6 million, why wouldn't he sign it? It's a lot of money. Either Philly matches or he goes to Edmonton, either way he's a rich man. I don't see why anyone would turn that amount of money down to play a sport.

You can argue that $4 million is enough and you'd be happy to make that much money...but remember that these guys are lucky to have 15 year careers and I don't blame them one bit for trying to get as much as they can in those years.
OK. This is the 2nd time in this thread you and I said basically the same thing less then 4 minutes apart. I'm done posting in here.

Old
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Heske_44

Quote:
Why not? I have been a Flyer fan for 27 years. If I had been a young stud player and the Flyers drafted me and I was in Carters situation and the Flyers offered me 4.5 for 4 and another team offered me 6.5 for 4, uh I taking the extra 8 Mil.

It's a business.
No kidding, when it comes down to dollars and cents family>>>hockey...I'd take the stability and run like 99% of every other athlete does

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
OK. This is the 2nd time in this thread you and I said basically the same thing less then 4 minutes apart. I'm done posting in here.
Haha, everytime I post I'll preface what I have to say with: "scottymac also feels that...".

Deal?

Old
03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
sigh... do not place faith in athletes ignoring better offers out of some sense of "loyalty." if they do, they're stupid. Jeff Carter could blow his knee out the first game of next year and never be the same player and have given up millions of dollars that would have secured his and his children's lives going forward.

now, he may not sign such a sheet for any number of reasons... but assuming he wouldn't due to "loyalty" to the Flyers is misguided.

Old
03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Made new salary estimations in the salary thread

Luckily RJ/Jones are arbitration eligible.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
That's good news if we loose him. Then we get some sweet picks.
Yeah, so we can wait years for them to even get to point where Carter is today.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote