HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

I refuse to throw in the towel

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 05:37 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
I refuse to throw in the towel

Bunch of hypocrites we got here. You get pissed off when the team gives up and stops playing, and yet, many of you have already stated you have given up on them. As fans, we are supposed to stick with the team through thick and thin, because when they are down they need us the most. There is still a lot of games to be played, and I won't quit supporting them until game 82 has been played.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:45 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'm with you on NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER stoping the support. If anything, us fans need to get louder and help them out more and more the rest of the season. However, mathmaticly it supremely tough to do (although with all the games they have against Western teams it is certainly doable if they could get on one of their 2 losses in 15 games, or something along those lines).

Old
02-02-2004, 05:49 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

The function of the fans is getting misconstrued here. The function of the fans is feedback, Reward the good, punish the bad. The team is not delivering right now. Loyalty to the "Oilers", ALWAYS. But loyalty to the current regime? That's earned, and they haven't earned it. We have every right to demand the best and complain when we don't get it.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:12 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Nobody said anything about not being allowed to display mispleasure - but if you are a fan that means you want them to win right? So, if in your power, would you not help them win (don't start with any "I should be the GM" crap)? Well, being demanding is important. Stupid, indifferent fans aren't demanding. But does that mean you stop cheering for them, or bash them even harder when they are down?

Old
02-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Hemsky4PM

Somepeople think demanding a new coach would "help them win". I have a real problem with the whole "thick and thin" argument. I'm still an Oilers fan to the core, but I'm not happy with the team as it stands. Why should anyone be happy with this season?

Let's look at the extreme. If the Oilers were 10 games under .500 right now would they have a chance to make the playoffs? NO. Would I still be a fan. YES. Would I pay hard earned money to watch them play? Maybe. If I though the product was worth it I would certainly fork over some lettuce to watch. But leaving the rink disappointed by the results time and time again is just too much to ask.

I think the majority of fans on this board are united in a belief that the ship will turn around. The debate seems to be on when. I don't think it will be this season, but I'm optimistic about the future. There is no point in deluding myself any longer, we aren't making the playoffs. We lose too often to the likes of Nashville, LA, Calgary and Phoenix.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:18 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Nobody is saying you can't be displeased, or down right pissed off. Everybody is. Everybody SHOULD be! I think the point was more of a "they play worse, we'll cheer louder for them" because booing them will not help them turn it around. It's not like Lowe needs to hear the boo's to know that we're disapointed. Hell he's probably worse then all of us!

Old
02-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Digger12

This is the part that disappoints me:

The Oilers have sold out 20 of their 26 home games this year (not including that huge 57000+ crowd at the HC) and will likely sell out every home game from here on out...and they've responded with a .500 record at home and lots of disappointing efforts.

The fans have supported this team tremendously this year, and if the Oilers continue to meekly go out of this playoff race with no response from Oilers management...it's going to be a bit tougher to drum up those season ticket renewals, don't you think?

Old
02-02-2004, 08:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya, you make an excellent point. But really, do/did you want to see the Oilers do something irresponsible and out of sync with the grand plan to ensure making the playoffs? They did the most they could with teh Oates signing - it's not like they didn't try. You have to remember, that yes, we've sold out rexall alot, but a sell out there is still a few thousand short of what the Leafs get every night. And, yes, I know that not every team draws like that. But most teams lose money, and the Oilers can't afford to lose lots of money.

Old
02-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Lowetide

I strongly disagree with this idea of fans being hypocritical because we don't march in lock step with the team.

When Lowe was hired he brought fresh life to this franchise, and has for the most part moved the team in the right direction.

I love that he isn't using the old "we're just lucky to have a team, and I'm a genius if we make the playoffs' bit.

However, when he defends the coach, tells the fanbase the playoffs are well within reach, and then does nothing when the depth at center becomes desperate, he's telling us one thing and doing another.

What name shall we put on that?

Old
02-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I strongly disagree with this idea of fans being hypocritical because we don't march in lock step with the team.

When Lowe was hired he brought fresh life to this franchise, and has for the most part moved the team in the right direction.

I love that he isn't using the old "we're just lucky to have a team, and I'm a genius if we make the playoffs' bit.

However, when he defends the coach, tells the fanbase the playoffs are well within reach, and then does nothing when the depth at center becomes desperate, he's telling us one thing and doing another.

What name shall we put on that?
I agree that Lowe has taken the team in the right direction, and when everything is said and done, I think that's the most important thing.

But when it comes to the centre issue, I don't think he's going to come out and say "I'm sorry. It just can't be done." It's true, but he's not going to admit it. These days it borders on impossible to pluck away a good top line centre from another team, and I don't think Lowe has a chance - young assets or not.

I think Lowe's in a very difficult position here. He does nothing, and people get on him. If he starts shipping out the bodies, it'll be like March 11, 2003, all over again. But if and when the changes come, it will take the Oilers that much longer to become competitive. And the people around here seem pretty impatient.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
It doesn't matter what Lowe does, he'll get criticized. He's in a lose-lose situation here. He does nothing, he'll get criticized and if he trades someone, he'll get criticized. We all know what the papers said after the trading deadline last year.

02-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Ya, you make an excellent point. But really, do/did you want to see the Oilers do something irresponsible and out of sync with the grand plan to ensure making the playoffs? They did the most they could with teh Oates signing - it's not like they didn't try. You have to remember, that yes, we've sold out rexall alot, but a sell out there is still a few thousand short of what the Leafs get every night. And, yes, I know that not every team draws like that. But most teams lose money, and the Oilers can't afford to lose lots of money.
No, I agree...it'd be folly to spend our wad to make a vain stab for the playoffs now. It's a little late at this point, the Oilers would have to go on a huge run just to give justification for Lowe to make a deal of that nature.

However, I think there's enough season ticket holders who will either see a team that didn't act when it should have...or a team that once again bet on the wrong horse in a costly error.

I hope Lowe has some good dancing shoes, because he might need them for all the tapdancing that could be on his horizon.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Oi'll say!

The Oilers are 3 points ahead of a shot at Ovechkin, 10 points behind a playoff spot with 4 teams to pass.

At the beginning of the season, even the 45 game mark all I was thinking was playoffs, but now that goal is just a lost cause and all the Oil can realistically do is hurt their chances of drafting a good player.

Seriously, if StL plays .500 the Oil have to get to 90 points to make the playoffs. They basically have to play .690 hockey from here on out and so far they've played .462. Their record would be like 18wins - 7losses - 4ties. And that's only if StL plays .500, what if the bottom two teams continue on at their pace of .557? LA would finish with 91 if they were last, the Oil would need to go 19-6-4 or so, playing .724. Without York.

A victory tonight would be a case of winning the battle but losing the war. If Ana stays in 5th and wins the lottery we're loking at a team with Fed/Ovechkin. Just what we need when we feel lonely for Sakic/Forsberg.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
The Oilers are 3 points ahead of a shot at Ovechkin, 10 points behind a playoff spot with 4 teams to pass.

At the beginning of the season, even the 45 game mark all I was thinking was playoffs, but now that goal is just a lost cause and all the Oil can realistically do is hurt their chances of drafting a good player.

Seriously, if StL plays .500 the Oil have to get to 90 points to make the playoffs. They basically have to play .690 hockey from here on out and so far they've played .462. Their record would be like 18wins - 7losses - 4ties. And that's only if StL plays .500, what if the bottom two teams continue on at their pace of .557? LA would finish with 91 if they were last, the Oil would need to go 19-6-4 or so, playing .724. Without York.

A victory tonight would be a case of winning the battle but losing the war. If Ana stays in 5th and wins the lottery we're loking at a team with Fed/Ovechkin. Just what we need when we feel lonely for Sakic/Forsberg.
Excellent, let's scratch Brewer for a few games and bring up Rocky Thompson....and while we are at it, maybe we could let Ryan Smyth play every second game. We can always memo MacT and tell him to put Pisani, Horcoff and Chimera as the first line powerplay(Wait, he already does stuff like that.)....then we can guarantee a good draft pick.

Oi'll say...how can you with good conscience hope your team loses to get a good draft pick. Can you say with any certainty that Wojtech Wolski is any better than David Bolland or Robbie Schremp or Enver Lisin?

You fight until the last breath and if they are eliminated, they are eliminated...and even then they need to do everything possible to win. Losing sucks.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:46 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Excellent, let's scratch Brewer for a few games and bring up Rocky Thompson....and while we are at it, maybe we could let Ryan Smyth play every second game. We can always memo MacT and tell him to put Pisani, Horcoff and Chimera as the first line powerplay(Wait, he already does stuff like that.)....then we can guarantee a good draft pick.

Oi'll say...how can you with good conscience hope your team loses to get a good draft pick. Can you say with any certainty that Wojtech Wolski is any better than David Bolland or Robbie Schremp or Enver Lisin?

You fight until the last breath and if they are eliminated, they are eliminated...and even then they need to do everything possible to win. Losing sucks.

I'm not in agreement that we need to blow the season. But we've got to face facts... we've got a long way to go and without York we probably won't get there. With an eye to the future, I'd like to see Lynch, Woywitka, Bergeron, Rita and Salmo get long looks with the Oilers.

I'd also like them to play a more entertaining brand of hockey than what we've seen the last few years. One of the biggest things that Ulanov has brought are some electrifying moments and I would like to see some more of that.

Knowing with 80% certainty that the Oilers won't make the post-season, I'd rather see some young guys with great upside play with some enthusiasm in an up-tempo, hard-hitting game, then a bunch of Horcoffs and Pisani's "mucking it up" in a Minnesota-style snooze fest.

Old
02-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I'm not in agreement that we need to blow the season. But we've got to face facts... we've got a long way to go and without York we probably won't get there. With an eye to the future, I'd like to see Lynch, Woywitka, Bergeron, Rita and Salmo get long looks with the Oilers.

I'd also like them to play a more entertaining brand of hockey than what we've seen the last few years. One of the biggest things that Ulanov has brought are some electrifying moments and I would like to see some more of that.

Knowing with 80% certainty that the Oilers won't make the post-season, I'd rather see some young guys with great upside play with some enthusiasm in an up-tempo, hard-hitting game, then a bunch of Horcoffs and Pisani's "mucking it up" in a Minnesota-style snooze fest.
I don't disagree, but when a poster says that all winning does is hurt our chances of getting a good draft pick, then the endorsement of losing is there. Everyone knows I would pull Pisani for Rita in a heartbeat, put Fergie on waivers for Lynch or Woywitka...but when people are hoping we lose for a better draft pick, I find much disappointment in that point of view.

Old
02-02-2004, 09:27 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Bunch of hypocrites we got here. You get pissed off when the team gives up and stops playing, and yet, many of you have already stated you have given up on them. As fans, we are supposed to stick with the team through thick and thin, because when they are down they need us the most. There is still a lot of games to be played, and I won't quit supporting them until game 82 has been played.
I, for one, have not given up on the edmonton oilers. I am just supporting them in a different endevour, to stack the team for when they can actually compete, with GOOD draft picks. If that means that they put together a losing season this year, so be it. I said that before the season began.

There's a difference between blindly throwing loyalty behind a team, and actually looking at what would benefit the franchise

Old
02-02-2004, 09:32 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I don't disagree, but when a poster says that all winning does is hurt our chances of getting a good draft pick, then the endorsement of losing is there. Everyone knows I would pull Pisani for Rita in a heartbeat, put Fergie on waivers for Lynch or Woywitka...but when people are hoping we lose for a better draft pick, I find much disappointment in that point of view.
I agree with that 100%. If it gets to the point where players like Brewer, Dvorak, etc are sat out to lose games I don't know what I'd do.

On the other hand, if Cross is still having back spasms and is fighting through it, then let him sit and bring up Lynch.

Looking back at the previous posts, my comments shouldn't have really been in response to yours because I think we're on the same page. I especially agree on your points in regard to drafting - i.e. Wolski vs. Schremp.

Closed Thread