HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rita!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 08:13 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Rita!!!!

I'm going to be some pissed if Rita isn't in the lineup against the Ducks TONIGHT!!! WTF could he hurt!?!?!? NOTHING! Now, I say if he isn't dressed we chant his friggin name! Like if they are dumb enough not to get him in the lineup now of all times then I don't think he's going to get more then a 2-3 game chance where he gets barely any minutes, with poor linemates and no powerplay time, and then MacT will sit there and say "he didn't do this, this, this, and that." and think that he's given the young kid his chance.

Of all the things MacT has been knocked for, I think his biggest downfall is how he takes a kid like Hemsky or Torres and benches them after making a mistake. Like, maybe now I can see it being done, but he's been doing it since the start of the season. How the hell is a kid supposed to get confidence?????!!!!! With the yougn kids growing pains should be expected, experienced, educated about - but shouldn't only play half a game because when that one mistake does occur they don't see the ice again.

Old
02-02-2004, 01:20 PM
ZIM

vCash:
You're gonna love this. In today's Journal it hints that Chimera will play if Isbister doesn't. NO mention of Rita.

I happen to like Chimera and have to wonder what he's thinking as he sees RR callups like Bishai play while he sits and the team self-destructs.

Old
02-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Slats432

After the game MacT will have a press conference sending Rita down suggesting he has blown his last chance. Rita will give a confused statement about how it wasn't his fault the Tim Horton's girl mistakenly put triple triple in MacT's double double.

Old
02-02-2004, 02:25 PM
goldenchild

Don't hold your breath i don't think he will get in and even if he did he probably wouldn't play past the 1st period anyway. If he doesn't play this week, depending on when Reasoner and York come back he may not even get into a game this year.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:38 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
You're gonna love this. In today's Journal it hints that Chimera will play if Isbister doesn't. NO mention of Rita.

I happen to like Chimera and have to wonder what he's thinking as he sees RR callups like Bishai play while he sits and the team self-destructs.
I was pretty abgry when I read that. It's funny, it's his last chance, but it's turning out to be no chance at all.

Old
02-02-2004, 03:48 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I agree. I am going to tonights game and if Rita isn't playing we should start chanting his name. Isbister is hurt so give Rita a chance.

If not I am going to start bringing a sign to every oilers game demanding Mac-T step down since Lowe is obviously not going to do anything about it

Old
02-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Digger12

I'm not going to get in a panic about it, but it DOES make you wonder if MacT is going to wait until the Oilers are mathematically eliminated before Rita gets in. Is there a disagreement going on between management and MacT regarding this guy? It's almost like MacT is saying "Sure, the ORGANIZATION can call him up...but that doesn't mean I have to play him."

It's like back last year when Rita got his 12 game callup...Lowe made all these noises about Rita perhaps needing to stay up here now, that maybe mistakes were made about keeping him down so long. Yet, there he goes back down to the farm 12 games later after a bit of success and 3 goals. Maybe MacT told Lowe that he may as well send Rita back, because the coach wasn't going to put him in the lineup anyway? Pure speculation of course.

Heck, even Michel Riesen got more games up here.

Old
02-02-2004, 04:22 PM
GorillazXL

I saw Rita shopping at the big bad mall yesterday, and I asked if he's excited about being up here, and if he was going to be in the line up in todays game... He didn't look optimistic, he just said "we'll see". Quiet guy, but then again I wouldn't be too talkative if a stranger walks up and starts talking about hockey out of the blue.

GXL

Old
02-02-2004, 05:14 PM
vb

I think you guys are jumping the gun. The first game Bishai got the nod because we needed a center. After winning the game, it's pretty tough for MacT to make a change to the lineup. Now if he doesn't play tonight, then somethings wrong. Maybe Jani isn't working hard in practice or does MacT really dislike him...

I'm pretty sure you'll see Jani in the lineup tonight!

Old
02-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
I think you guys are jumping the gun. The first game Bishai got the nod because we needed a center. After winning the game, it's pretty tough for MacT to make a change to the lineup. Now if he doesn't play tonight, then somethings wrong. Maybe Jani isn't working hard in practice or does MacT really dislike him...

I guess we'll see. The only speculation I've seen in today's papers regarding that is that Chimera might draw in if Isbister can't go.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:36 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I guess we'll see. The only speculation I've seen in today's papers regarding that is that Chimera might draw in if Isbister can't go.
makes sense from a MacT standpoint...Chimera's a young vet, so its likely that Rita will once again be sitting on the bench. :mad: Why is it so hard to take a chance on a rookie?

Old
02-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
I doubt it. I think we are stuck with PisTavish, HorcTavish, OaTavish, MorTavish, and if he plays the way he is supposed to ChimTavish will draw into the line up.

There is no room for Rita.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:46 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I doubt it. I think we are stuck with PisTavish, HorcTavish, OaTavish, MorTavish, and if he plays the way he is supposed to ChimTavish will draw into the line up.

That post just made my day.

Old
02-02-2004, 05:54 PM
vb

...well maybe Pisani will grab a seat too after missing the net and then interfering with Salo.

Just trying to make you guys feel a little more optimistic.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Digger12

Quote:

The dark side of the Force is strong in this one...

Old
02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:

Ritavish kinda rolls off the tongue pretty well. If only it were that simple....(sigh)
Pretty soon we're gonna have to start a hunger strike in front of Rexall. No more eating until Rita gets a start.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Pretty soon we're gonna have to start a hunger strike in front of Rexall. No more eating until Rita gets a start.
Well, if someone in Edmonton is going to do that, the only way we avoid having a skeleton chained to the Gretzky statue is if Terry Jones volunteers to be the hunger striker...

Old
02-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM

I'm a huge Chimera fan as well, but if he can't pull his head out of his ass, then he deserves to sit on the bench while other guys get chances. The only problem I have is that there are some other players who's play has been equally suspect, but they seem to be rewarded with pp time/sh time/premium minutes.

Old
02-02-2004, 09:13 PM
creative giant*

Quote:

whoa, what has moreau done to deserve this? He always plays hard and gives 110%. Every time i see him he's either skating his ass off or defending a teammate. He's doing his job, which is more than i can say for anyone on the coaching staff

Old
02-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
whoa, what has moreau done to deserve this? He always plays hard and gives 110%. Every time i see him he's either skating his ass off or defending a teammate. He's doing his job, which is more than i can say for anyone on the coaching staff
Look past the forest for the trees. It has nothing to do with the individual accomplishments of the players in question. It has to do with the collective MacT type of players being afforded ice time as opposed to those that may not fulfill the prototypical MacT mould.

While I am at it maybe I should see why we give large contracts to Losmith, Lostaios and Locross, with a little Ulanowe tossed in.

I feel like a great deal of clarity is coming into the HF Oilboard....MacTavish is only good at playing MacT clones and the only type of player that we are ever going to have on our blueline are blood and guts guys.

So...no skill up front, no skill on the back end, just a bunch of pluggers and blood and guts guys.

A great epiphany to have. I am gravely concerned at the direction of this franchise.

Last edited by Slats432: 02-02-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old
02-02-2004, 10:05 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Look past the forest for the trees. It has nothing to do with the individual accomplishments of the players in question. It has to do with the collective MacT type of players being afforded ice time as opposed to those that may not fulfill the prototypical MacT mould.

While I am at it maybe I should see why we give large contracts to Losmith, Lostaios and Locross, with a little Ulanowe tossed in.

I feel like a great deal of clarity is coming into the HF Oilboard....MacTavish is only good at playing MacT clones and the only type of player that we are ever going to have on our blueline are blood and guts guys.

So...no skill up front, no skill on the back end, just a bunch of pluggers and blood and guts guys.

A great epiphany to have. I am gravely concerned at the direction of this franchise.
What else do you expect to happen when you are in the situation the Oilers are in?

Pluggers and blood and guts players are cheap. The only glaring weakness on our defence, is the lack of a pp qb. You absolutely need guys like Smith, Staois, Ulanov and Cross, all of whom play very different styles.

And the forwards... 2 of our best players from the past 2 years aren't in the lineup right now. 2 of our best wingers have had to spend a lot of time at centre.

So pluggers are the only ones who get ice time? Funny, because according to the Oilers ice time, York, Smyth and Dvorak are the leading Oiler forwards in icetime.

Did you know that Hemsky has been on the ice more than Moreau this season?

ot that out of all our regular forwards (guys who have played most of the season), Pisani gets the least amount of ice time?

I really don't understand what you are griping about, and that garbage that Mac-T favours players who are like him, and only plays them is simply not true, and the evidence is here:

Mike York 19:42
Ryan Smyth 19:16
Radek Dvorak 17:09
Marty Reasoner 16:30
Shawn Horcoff 16:15
Adam Oates 14:58
Ales Hemsky 14:55
Ethan Moreau 14:29
Brad Isbister 13:39
Raffi Torres 12:21
Jarret Stoll 12:18
Fernando Pisani 12:18

The only real 2 staggaring ones are Torres and Stoll, who have both shown that they can handle the minutes they are playing... but at the same time, both are just rookies, and I personally haven't paid attention to how they've done in games where they've gotten increased ice time and responsibilities...

Old
02-02-2004, 10:22 PM
HotToddy

Quote:

Agree with you almost completely. I have always maintained tha Lowe and MacT have been filling this team with alot of players that remind them of themselves. Of course gritty, character players are needed but only as support for your skilled players.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
What else do you expect to happen when you are in the situation the Oilers are in?
And what do you expect to happen when you are in the situation that Nashville, or Minnesota or Calgary or or or or or.

If you don't like the personnel we have...blame your GM.
If you don't like what is done with that personnel...blame your coach.

I am personally starting to blame both. Excuses dawgbone...you offer excuses...

I call bullshevik. Marchant this, Comrie that, Reasoner this, no enough money that, when is it going to be accountability.

When is it going to be signing the Nieuwendyk instead of the Oates? When is it going to be putting two centers on the ice in the last minute? When is it playing the goalie with the flu when the back up is fresh? When is it making the one small trade to motivate the team? When is it going to be accountability instead of the hard luck poor me bullshyt excuses?

Sure is easy to excuse away. But having you around at least gives the opposing point of view. Sadly few agree with you.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:33 PM
vb

I'm not sure if these theories are holding much water.

Most teams have moved away from having offensive defenceman, the type that make end to end rushes. I don't think it's fair to criticize Lowe for this, this is a standard trend across the NHL due to a shortage of these types of players and a change in the playing style. Annicchiarico makes a good point in his article today about the Oilers inability to handle an aggresive forecheck (how is that for irony). I don't blame Lowe for trying to build a different style of defence after getting booted from the post-season by the Stars year after year.

A year ago we were praising MacT about the way he brought along Comrie (playing him with Smyth and Carter) and now he doesn't know how to develop youngsters?

Old
02-02-2004, 10:38 PM
HotToddy

[QUOTE=dawgbone]What else do you expect to happen when you are in the situation the Oilers are in?

Pluggers and blood and guts players are cheap. The only glaring weakness on our defence, is the lack of a pp qb. You absolutely need guys like Smith, Staois, Ulanov and Cross, all of whom play very different styles.

The only glaring weakness on our defense is that we have players with grit and determination and not much else (Smith, Staois, Ulanov, Cross and Ferguson). Yah you need guys like them, one or two of them to eat minutes away from your topline guys but we don't need a whole D-corp made out of them. Staois is being asked to play a role far above his head, and sometimes he succeeds sometimes he fails. I'm so sick have having to watch our Dmen game in game out backed into our goalie so deep they might as well wear pads. Why because they have limited mobility. Or when an opposingteam gives us a hard forecheck and the cycle for a good hour because or D-corp has no foot speed. Or the lack of utter posibilty that one of our Dmen will ever just take the puck and rush it to the other end. When was the last time one of defenseman snuck in from the point for a quick onetimer.

Closed Thread