HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Send 'um BACK MAN

Old
03-05-2008, 01:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
As for point #6, with an eye toward the late season games and the POs where alot more physical play, holding and interference are allowed, I would have dealt for any of Salvador, Stuart,Gill or Salei before Backman (and paid the higher price)..And who knows who else Sather could have aquired within reason if he tried to? Anyway, bridge under water...
Those are all good names. But we don't know what they would have been here. And those guys cost more than Backman. I like Gill but I was killed when I mentioned him.

03-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you are going to give a scout/ AGM credit for the hits, the same has to go with the misses.
Oh no question. Jessiman is a bust, the jury is still out on Korpedo and I think Montoya was a wasted pick because the Rangers didn't do their homework to see if Henrik was interested in coming over to the U.S. to play in the NHL. The Rangers organization is not a well run organization. They aren't the Knicks by any stretch but there's no question that Sather's management regime leaves something to be desired. I'm not saying he hasn't improved the fortunes of this franchise but what competent GM wouldn't have done the same thing. He's taken seven years to rebuild the franchise and now that we have a formidable system to lean on our top players are 39, 35 and 35 (Shanny, Jagr and Straka). Gomez, Drury, Avery and Rozsival are in their prime but guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan, Cherepanov, Anisimov, etc, aren't close to reaching theirs. It's a weird mix of over the hill stars, a few guys in their prime and a bunch of rookies and second year players that are still developing.
My hope is that we are able to acquire (or develop) one or two All-Stars to replace Jags, Shanny and Straka over the next couple of years so that we have a fighting chance at winning a Cup.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
New partner, new team, new city, and playing the hardest position in the sport. He certainly has not been our worst d-man. You'd rather have Struds or Mara?

Hands down I would rather have strudwick or Mara. That should not even be a question.

I didnt realize what failure was till I saw Backman play. I was fooled into thinking it was Malik.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Those are all good names. But we don't know what they would have been here. And those guys cost more than Backman. I like Gill but I was killed when I mentioned him.

No offense but are you out of your mind?. Your telling me Cam Jansen is alot to give up for Bryce Salavdor?

Cam Jansen is one of the worst players I have ever seen set foot on NHL Ice, yet thats all it took to get Salvador.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
You are right, but they are more, steady, realible, physical and more simple D-men then Backman..I don't think there would have ben a problem with any of them and their simple game is what we needed....

You are also correct that they would have cost more, but with the wide open East I would have paid it...

And sorry I wasn't around to give you some support when you mentioned Gill..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
You expect a new defenseman to learn a system in less than a week? He was better than Malik last night, that's for sure. If you want to talk about turn-overs, how about the ones Avery gave up?
Better than Malik? You cant be serious.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:44 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
I'm convinced that people have this giant fallacy built up in their mind that makes them think every bad play is because of Malik, whether he's on the ice or not.

I would have hoped that Backman could show you what truly poor play really is.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Upside, I think so. Look, if next week this guy hasn't improved I'll eat the crow I deserve, but before Andy Murray got to St. Louis, Backman was getting nearly 25 minutes per night, and was a corner stone of the Blues defense.

You know, my overall point here, and it's the same I've made when defending Malik, is the guy is on our team now for better or worse, and probably will be next season. Booing him doesn't make him better. Cutting him some slack in the first week or so on the team, especially when we're winning, is the right thing to do. The guy can add 20 points to the blue line, and is only -7 over his career. Tell me what better dman we could have gotten for a 4th round pick?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:51 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Dang Tyutin View Post
Not a big Backman fan but i'm willing to give him more time.
I'm glad your willing to give Backman more time.

Because you are going to have to give him another whole year and also give him 3.4 Million next season.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:51 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I know. we were talking that we don't let up too many scoring chances, but ufortunately it seems that teams capitalize more often than not when they do get a quality scoring chance.
You're correct. We need a better goalie. Backman is not the reason for Lundqvists's slump. Even Lundy himself may not be. Slumps just happen. That is why good teams have quality backups.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
No offense but are you out of your mind?. Your telling me Cam Jansen is alot to give up for Bryce Salavdor?

Cam Jansen is one of the worst players I have ever seen set foot on NHL Ice, yet thats all it took to get Salvador.
I can't speak to what JD would have asked for from the Rangers. Cam Janssen is more than a 4th round pick if that's what you are asking.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:01 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post

Because you are going to have to give him another whole year and also give him 3.4 Million next season.
You're talking about a team that used to have a $80mil payroll. Burying $3.4m in Hartford for the year is nothing if that's what it comes to.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:01 PM
TrustInJarmo*

FYI: Most of the big moves JD made in St. Louis have backfired. Mckee 16 Million/4 years. Kariya 18 Million/3 Years. Tkachuck 8 Million/2 years, Brewer 17 Million/4 years, Rucinsky making 3 Million this year, etc.

The Blues got Cam Janssen as a PR move. PERIOD.

Janssen is a Kelly Chase/Twist/Tyson Nash/Reed Low type player...all ST. Louis fans loved prior.

So when all else fails...get a guy like Cam to put butts in the seats on one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Plus, Janssen was born and raised in St. Louis.

PR move from Blues Management. Salvador could have been had for at least a 3rd. EASILY!

If we happen to trade Janssen next year...I would be Jumping for joy if we got a 4th rounder back...I don't think we would, nor would have the Devils gotten that back for Cam.

Lou was not going to get anything more for Cam than what JD offered in a solid d-men like Bryce Savlador (and the Blues top d-men this year)...so Lou took the deal.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 03-05-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
You're talking about a team that used to have a $80mil payroll. Burying $3.4m in Hartford for the year is nothing if that's what it comes to.
Good point.

Old
03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Forechecker

How does Backman go from $2.2MM in '07/'08 to $3.4MM in '08/'09?

Old
03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
How does Backman go from $2.2MM in '07/'08 to $3.4MM in '08/'09?
It's 2.3 this season.

The Rangers cap hit is still 2.3 for next season. It was just how the money was handed out when they made the contract a few years back.

Old
03-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
The Rangers cap hit is still 2.2 for next season. It was just how the money was handed out when they made the contract a few years back.
Well, in that case, who cares. I'll take the cap hit on $2.2MM, especially after dumping Malik, Mara, & Struds.

Old
03-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
I'm not usually a guy who is ready to bury a defenseman after only three games but I already loathe what I see out of him. He's everything we hated about Tom Poti and Marek Malik reincarnated in another defenseman. Ask anyone on the St. Louis board how they feel about trading Backman and they will give you the same answer that a Ranger fan would give you if we traded Malik.
Well obviously you are in this case; and I think its pretty darn pathetic... (quite frankly sentiments like that are the worst part of beeing a ranger fan really)

Its interesting that you mention Tom Poti.

Because after we let him go Ted Nolan made him his NR 1 D on the Island. Ted Nolans NR 1 D wasn't Brendan Witt, it was Tom Poti and Ted Nolan made the PO's with that team. Then Washington snitched away Tom Poti from the Islanders. Glenn Hanlon who is a pretty hardnosed coach made Tom Poti his NR 1 D. Then incomes Bruce Boderleau who also is a pretty tough coach, and makes Tom Poti his NR 1 D.

Look at last season scoring leaders among D's. Dan Boyle scored more then 22 pts for the first time when he was 26 y/o. Phillipe Boucher scored more then 30 pts for the first time when he was 31 y/o. Bryan McCabe score more then 30 pts for the first time when he was 27 y/o. Lubonir Visnovsky was 29 when he broke through. Sheldon Souray scored more then 11 pts for the first time when he was 28 y/o.

Why don't you ask Pittsburgh fans what they thought about Rozsival??? Without him its perfectly possible we would have been out of the PO's for 10 straight years now...

We pick up a D like Bäckman for free basically, a younger D who have had one big injury once every season so far in his pro career. A youger D who defenitly was rushed into the NHL and became the nr 1 D of the de facto worst team in the league his soapmore year.

There are 100's and 100's of examples of young players who through the years who really have stepped up after a change of scenario at the age Christian Backman is now. If he can stay healty and build up some confidence he defenitly got allot of potential in him -- and he might just have looked like a completly diffrent player 2-3 years from now. Just like Sheldon Souray went from scoring 12 pts to beeing hte highest scoring D in the league within 2-3 years. In a CAP league its absolutely vital that you can find steals; like lower paid guys who can step up and play over their capacity.

Or he might not and might not make it out of camp next summer and a Ranger. Thats perfectly possible. So what.

Why again shouldn't we give him a chance? Or give him a chance, why should we "bury" him after 3 games in NY? So freakin retarted that I am about to explode when I read something like that.

Last edited by Ola: 03-05-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Why again shouldn't we give him a chance? Why should we "bury" after 3 games in NY? So freakin retarted that I am about to explode when I read something like that.

Old
03-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Ola

Quote:

Yeah yeah yeah, Pittsburg fans hated Rozsival even more then you guys hates Bäckman. He's our nr 1 D right now... Poor teams always have problem developing offensive D's. Look at Kesla in Columbus and Bouwmeester in Florida -- these guys where mega talants who haven't taken that last step either. And STL where extrmely bad for most of Bäckmans time there. Its hard to develop confidence when you never have any marginals.

Besides, Dolan never had a problem writing out 3.5m check adressed to HFD if things don't work out.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdude View Post
Is it just me, but has anyone one else noticed how our defense has gotten abit sloppy since Backman was acquired? When this guy has the puck he turns to avoid the hit then gives up the puck, he did it again last night a few times. I'm trying to give him the benefit of being new to the team. But, I'm starting to think that this was a bad acquisition.
Backman = (Poti - hard pointshot)

With the probably departure of Malik Sather wanted to ensure that this board has a whipping boy on defense. No doubt, next season, it will be Backman. I would have rathered they kept their pick and played another rookie....this guy's play in his own zone is doggie doo. He skates well and is smoothe with the puck, but gawd....he's a defenseman, play some defence.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Backman isn't better then Malik but he was last night ! Malik played terribly. We def are missing Mara tho IMO

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
haha yea just ask Kaspar !

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Mara's play is much more appreciated now

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Melrose_Jr.

These anti-Backman sentiments are all pretty extreme 3 games in. Don't like what you've seen so far? Ok. Condemning the guy's potential upside to being lower than Malik and Strudwick's? Come on.

He's a project. He's also one less hole to fill next year, provides an option for Renney on defense and provides more depth in case of injury. If that's all he ever becomes for the Rangers, it's still a smart strategic move and I can't say I'll be disappointed or upset about the loss of a middle round pick.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote