HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send 'um BACK MAN

Old
03-05-2008, 06:43 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Why don't you ask Pittsburgh fans what they thought about Rozsival??? Without him its perfectly possible we would have been out of the PO's for 10 straight years now...
Good points about Rozsival and Souray. Moreso Souray since Rozsival actually had some productive seasons in Pittsburgh. I don't know how his D was back then but I do remember him scoring on us a lot in those pre-lockout days. I think Backman will be more successful if he keeps his game simple. Don't try to do too much. Play the game you're comfortable with. Stick to your position and assignment. I'd much rather Backman excel at his defensive position than being pressed or expected to contribute to the offense. He needs to find his rhythm before breaking out.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
These anti-Backman sentiments are all pretty extreme 3 games in. Don't like what you've seen so far? Ok. Condemning the guy's potential upside to being lower than Malik and Strudwick's? Come on.

He's a project. He's also one less hole to fill next year, provides an option for Renney on defense and provides more depth in case of injury. If that's all he ever becomes for the Rangers, it's still a smart strategic move and I can't say I'll be disappointed or upset about the loss of a middle round pick.
Exactly, I've been saying this since after his first game.

He still hasn't settled yet, you have to give him some time.

Honestly though it isn't surprising, the majority of Ranger fans don't accept error. The first game where he took all the penalties, is EXACTLY how everyone wanted Malik to play.

"Oh use the body! Use your size! He never uses it, what a ***** defenseman"..

So, he used it, and yet, we're still hearing whining. That's the type of play that warrants penalties, and that's what put us down.

Fact of the matter is it's been 3 games and both of them have contributed more than they have taken away. Sjostrom has played better in the three games, but he's also a forward with limited ice time, who (not to be judgmental) seems to have a more "welcoming" personality and adjusts faster.

Backman will adjust, it's all about time. Like it or not his contract is better than 2 of our current defensemans, and he may just have career years in the next 1-3.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 06:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
These anti-Backman sentiments are all pretty extreme 3 games in. Don't like what you've seen so far? Ok. Condemning the guy's potential upside to being lower than Malik and Strudwick's? Come on.

He's a project. He's also one less hole to fill next year, provides an option for Renney on defense and provides more depth in case of injury. If that's all he ever becomes for the Rangers, it's still a smart strategic move and I can't say I'll be disappointed or upset about the loss of a middle round pick.
Logical, rational and level-headed. Thanks.

03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
The whole defense has been sloppy lately. Don't think we should blame it all on him. Hes only played 3 games with us. Hopefully over time he will become more comfortable with his new teammates and be able to play at his highest level.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Noonan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Dang Tyutin View Post
Mara over Backman any day of the week
Both over malek

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
NYRSinceBirth

The only thing good to come out of this thread is the title, and even that's pushing it.

I'm very glad the Backman haters aren't our GM. If Glen Sather made this thread I'd be dearly worried about this teams future. The guy has play 3 games, and the ones at the Garden weren't exactly easy with the crowd. Give the guy a few games, see how he works out. It's funny how Girdardi or Toots can take a few nights off and it goes over looked, but if it's the new guy he blows. Even Backman at this stage of his play is an UPGRADE over both Malik and Struds. I wouldn't say Mara quite yet, but definitely over the other two. That leaves him as the 6th dman, which he isn't that bad at.

I say, give the guy anywhere from 5-10 games to get into a groove, and if he shows improvement and there's light at the end of the tunnel keep him aboard. But if we're going into a playoff series and he looks completely lost, oh well we sacrificed a 4th round pick. We really need to take a deep breathe,and just let him play. Especially now that we're literally stuck with him.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Good points about Rozsival and Souray. Moreso Souray since Rozsival actually had some productive seasons in Pittsburgh. I don't know how his D was back then but I do remember him scoring on us a lot in those pre-lockout days. I think Backman will be more successful if he keeps his game simple. Don't try to do too much. Play the game you're comfortable with. Stick to your position and assignment. I'd much rather Backman excel at his defensive position than being pressed or expected to contribute to the offense. He needs to find his rhythm before breaking out.
Yeah!

But it also isn't like Bäckman haven't shown anything in his NHL career. His best season he would have scored 30 pts over 82 games (18pts in 52 games); and that was on a team where the highest scoring player had 49 pts and was named Scott Young... He have been used as a nr 3-1-2-2-2/6 D for STL.

I also think people underestimate his the injurt problems he have had.

In the end though most of it is about confidence really. Backman obviously don't got that. His game on the ice isn't inorder. Renney and co got a chance to build him up again from scratched; and he should be eased in kind of like a rookie would. Here I defenitly agree with you all the way N8.

And he defenitly should stick to playing "safe" hockey.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
The only thing good to come out of this thread is the title, and even that's pushing it.
I must agree, the title of this thread is quite witty.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Can't you guys give out points/violations for stupidity.

I am surprised some of these people are able to function on a daily basis in our society.

Especially that guy who said Prucha has no guts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I'm glad your willing to give Backman more time.

Because you are going to have to give him another whole year and also give him 3.4 Million next season.
You should be concerned about your team.JD hands out multi-year contracts on a daily basis.Brad Boyes and Barret Jackman.You better hope they work out better than Lee Stempniak's $7.5 million or the $18 million he gave Paul Kariya.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 07:14 AM
ivrydov

Backman was minus two and he deserved blame on the two goals that gave the Isles a 3-1 lead. Staal was also minus two. That happened to Staal only once before this year, against a hot Ottawa team in December.

Just like Ozolinsh two years ago Backman turns what had been a tight organized defence into a disorganized mess.

How many times did Strudwick go minus two in his 47 games on defence this year? None at all. He only reached that level playing forward in the Montreal meltdown.

If this was early in the season I'd say let him play himself off the team and get waived to Hartford or Russia. But at this time of the year, you can't afford to spot the other team a goal or two a game every night, and that's what you run the risk of with Backman out there. Worse, he's going to ruin Staal.

You get what you pay for. If the Blues hadn't wanted to dump him, they would have asked for more than a fourth-round draft pick. I bet they would have settled for a seventh-round pick.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivrydov View Post
Backman was minus two and he deserved blame on the two goals that gave the Isles a 3-1 lead. Staal was also minus two. That happened to Staal only once before this year, against a hot Ottawa team in December.

How many times did Strudwick go minus two in his 47 games on defence this year? None at all. He only reached that level playing forward in the Montreal meltdown.

If this was early in the season I'd say let him play himself off the team and get waived to Hartford or Russia. But at this time of the year, you can't afford to spot the other team a goal or two a game every night, and that's what you run the risk of with Backman out there. Worse, he's going to ruin Staal.

You get what you pay for. If the Blues hadn't wanted to dump him, they would have asked for more than a fourth-round draft pick. I bet they would have settled for a seventh-round pick.
First of all, and don't take this the wrong way -- because I am defenitly not trying to make it into a Staal vs Backman things -- but Marc Staal did struggle a little bit too before Backman came here; if you wanna debate that I can dig up atleast 20 posts with comments like "Whats up with Staal lately?", "Staal haven't looked really sharp" and "Staal struggled today" from just weeks before the Backman trade. The two have played together for 3 games and been on for 2 goals against and 1 goal forward. 2 goals in 3 games. 2 goals that both have started a gigantic debate about Lundqvists performance... I wouldn't make the biggest deal about that really. I don't wanna go into it but I don't really agree with that Bäckman have dragged Staal down, Staal himself have played a role in that equation too to be fair. Not that giving up 2 goals that Lundqvist defenitly should have saved in 3 games is that big of a deal.

Second, on the Islanders 3rd goal. Bäckman should have protected the puck better there -- while it was still bouncing and a Islander charged at it. But what he really caused was the Islanders gaining controll of the puck: on the out side of our box with everyone in good defensive position. He did not cause Fedetenkos soft wrister from the boards to go in.

Last edited by Ola: 03-06-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You should be concerned about your team.JD hands out multi-year contracts on a daily basis.Brad Boyes and Barret Jackman.You better hope they work out better than Lee Stempniak's $7.5 million or the $18 million he gave Paul Kariya.
St. Louis? Isn't that that model franchise that have done a tremendous job developing Eric Brewer, Barret Jackman, Christian Bäckman and Eric Johnson (the most talented D to come out a draft next to Phaneuf since I don't know when; like since Pronger)??? Jackman was a calder trophy winning D. Brewer was a mega talent who made teh Canadian Olympic team (best of the best) at the age of 22 y/o. Allot of people had extremely high expectations on Bäckman. What 22 y/o would win a spot in Canadas top 6 today? Yeah that Phaneuf...

You know, put Paul Martin, Joni Pitkänen and Scott Hannah in STL instead of Brewer, Jackman and Bäckman and I am wonder if wouldn't just have picked up Pitkänen/Martin for a 5th round pick...

Barret Jackman got 9 pts and is -11 this season. Eric Brewer got 20 pts and is -15. We all know in what shape Bäckman is in.

Who knows, maybe its a god sent that we kept our 2nd and 5th round in this years draft; in 3 years we might use the prospect we picked up with them in a deal for Eric Johnson...

Old
03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
levski87

Why doesn't everyone just be happy with the team and support them?... Its funny how u all hated on Malik before he had a few good games, and then the appreciation threat came out.. now everyone prefers playing Malik.. he has that one sloppy turnover where Lundqvist just didnt handle the puck and hes automatically the problem with this team... RELAX People.. Its a game, theres ALWAYS going to be turnovers, no matter who u have on defense... and second of all, Backman isnt the worst... but since he didn;t turn out to be AMAZING in his first 3 games here, its automatically that hes the weakest link on the team.. grow up guys honestly.. support the team we have.. im sure it will turn out fine.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 02:25 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Ola, your an endless void of information. And DAMN do you defend your countrymen! I can't help but find myself agreeing with you on the majority of your posts. At least some people have a brain in there heads.

Old
03-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Ola, your an endless hole of information.
Um, is that a compliment?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Ola

NYRSinceBirth- thanks allot!

Old
03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
agreed, would rather have not gotten shoestrum or backman

Combine them together though and we got Backstrom!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 03:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Ola, your an endless void of information. And DAMN do you defend your countrymen! I can't help but find myself agreeing with you on the majority of your posts. At least some people have a brain in there heads.
Not ragging on you man, but "void" and "hole" both imply that Ola has no information - and since I think you're trying to compliment Ola (as I have often in the past), I thought I'd help out. Perhaps you meant "source"? Or perhaps "font"?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Not ragging on you man, but "void" and "hole" both imply that Ola has no information - and since I think you're trying to compliment Ola (as I have often in the past), I thought I'd help out. Perhaps you meant "source"? Or perhaps "font"?
Font is good or wellspring. Or simply encyclopedic.

Old
03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Font is good or wellspring. Or simply encyclopedic.
Rangers English 101

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Rangers English 101
We prefer word smithing.

Old
03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
clemsonRanger

backman sucks im sorry hes awful and i wouldnt be suprized if staal some how accident takes out his knee

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Edge

I think he'll be okay in time.

And by okay, I think he'll be what people SHOULD expect for him - a #5 or #6 depth defenseman.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:39 AM
NYRSinceBirth

What ever the hell it is, Ola knows his garbage (Or should I say information? lol). Endless source of information, and I just wanted to thank him. And remember, huked on fonix werked fer I!