HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Revisiting Don Maloney

Old
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
hgo

vCash: 500
Revisiting Don Maloney

I'm bringing up Don Maloney because I'm wondering when his ineptitude from his days with the Islanders disappeared.

If you remember, Maloney decided that the Isles needed an upgrade in goaltending after Healy had a poor series against Montreal, so he let Healy go in the expansion draft, and then proceeded to get Hextall for Fitzpatrick (who later went unprotected in the expansion draft) and swapped first rounders (Deadmarsh for Bertuzzi). We all know how much Hextall sucked as an Islander, and Maloney ended up trading him for Soderstrom, who wasn't much better.

Maloney also was the architect of the Turgeon for Muller trade, which wasn't really a bad trade until Muller decided he was going to be a ***** and not play here. Remember, Schneider was also acquired in that trade for Malakhov, and Schneider was, and still is, a potent offensive defenseman. Muller offered more defensively than Turgeon did, also.

In terms of the other miscues Maloney made...he traded Uwe Krupp and the rights to Wade Belak for Ron Sutter and the rights to Brett Lindros. He also gave up what turned out to be Fredrik Modin for what turned out to be D.J. Smith (and the Isles were trading up, no less).

So, more or less, his time with the Islanders sucked.

But Maloney ended up being great with the Rangers, helping rebuild that team...and it seems like his time in Phoenix has gone well, especially since he stole Bryzgalov, as well as Montoya and Marcel Hossa from the Rangers.

Anyone have any theories?

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Islesin93*

you dont think that Muller trade was bad? Even if Muller came here and played I dont see how anything can justify that trade, Turgeon was a superstar, and he was only like 25, we gave up our previous superstar in Lafontaine for Turgeon who we traded for Muller who was basically a glorified Patrick Flatley

Theories? I think Maloney had a chip on his shoulder from all the years the Isles beat the Rangers and maybe this was his way to get back, same with Milbury from his years with the Bruins

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
AHpsycho

I was just reading "Fish Sticks" and it was reminding me how much more I hate Maloney than Milbury because it's all his fault that Milbury ever even came to the Islanders. It was also really depressing to read how Milbury almost stayed with the Bruins, almost stayed with Boston College, and was offered to go to the Kings. So many other franchises that could have been destroyed over us.

I don't really give Maloney credit for Bryz because he was just picked off waivers and I'm sure a lot of teams put in for him but the Coyotes were the lowest. Plus, the rest of the team was mostly put together through good drafting prior to his arrival. The Montoya/Hossa deal looks to be in his favor right now though.

I guess there was no real way for him to know that Muller would be a dick but after Torre left the Islanders should have probably gotten a more experienced GM rather than a first-timer. He may be better now (I haven't decided yet) but that I would think come with his experience.

AHpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 12:36 AM
AHpsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
you dont think that Muller trade was bad? Even if Muller came here and played I dont see how anything can justify that trade, Turgeon was a superstar, and he was only like 25, we gave up our previous superstar in Lafontaine for Turgeon who we traded for Muller who was basically a glorified Patrick Flatley
Turgeon was traded because everyone felt he wasn't the same player after the Dale Hunter incident. The Islanders were also in more of a re-building mindset at that point and preferred the wisdom and leadership that a guy like Muller could have brought. Instead he turned out to be a whiny ******* and not the leader everyone thought he was so the trade looked much worse than it would have been if Muller was a real man.

AHpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 12:54 AM
eastonhockey22*

Maloney was a bum...not muller .....the Turgeon trade was the worst in the history of the Franchise...Turgeon was still an excellent player... Maloney either did it to save the salary difference between turgeon or muller or Maloney did it to put his own stamp on Bill torreys Islanders team.... either way, anyone who saw Turgeon in in 92-94 would have to say that was the most disgraceful trade of the history of the NY ISlanders. Turgeon was the heart of the team becuae he was what made the first line work... he made the offense work.. he was the hope that they would maybe win a stanly cup someday if they kept him around for another 12 years, as an Islander fan, you at least could imagine them winning a cup at some point. The day the Islanders traded Turgeon away... was the begining of part 2 of the history of the Islanders .. part 2... the part where you go to an Islanders game to see a hockey game rather then go to games cause you think they may win a cup someday

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Moosie

A blind rat could have found Bryzgalov.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Donnico1

The Turgeon deal was the worst trade in Isles history, bar none. I hate Kirk Muller to this day; He's the only athlete in all sports aside of Manny Ramirez I've wished SARS upon, and even though he's now retired, I still hope he gets SARS. And you can keep Matt Schneider. He was a good D man, but his presence did not make up for the fact that we lost the best offensive weapon we had in the last 15 years. We still havent filled the hole left by Turgeon.

Donnico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:13 AM
McLovin21

the turgeon trade was terrible. it actually may be as bad as the luongo trade. i've always wondered what we did to deserve the pain that has been inflicted upon our fanbase by maloney and milbury.

McLovin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Gillies9

The way I heard it was that team was broken up after the embarassment of getting swept by the Rangers in the '94 playoffs and a slow start in 94-95. Dunno how much truth there is to that.

Maloney was truly awful though: don't forget Benoit Hogue for Eric Fichaud and Steve Thomas for Wendal Clark, giving away Jeff Norton, chairing a terrible draft in '94...

Year for year, I'd say Maloney was worse that Milbury, but that's a topic for another thread.

At least if Maloney was a Rangers spy, we got revenge when Trotts coached the Blueshirts.

btw, Maloney gets no more cedit for Bryzgalov than Milbury gets for Osgood.

Gillies9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies9 View Post
The way I heard it was that team was broken up after the embarassment of getting swept by the Rangers in the '94 playoffs and a slow start in 94-95. Dunno how much truth there is to that.

Maloney was truly awful though: don't forget Benoit Hogue for Eric Fichaud and Steve Thomas for Wendal Clark, giving away Jeff Norton, chairing a terrible draft in '94...

Year for year, I'd say Maloney was worse that Milbury, but that's a topic for another thread.

At least if Maloney was a Rangers spy, we got revenge when Trotts coached the Blueshirts.

btw, Maloney gets no more cedit for Bryzgalov than Milbury gets for Osgood.

I always felt that Fichaud really had a lot of potential but the Islanders ruined him. If he panned out that would have been some goalie we would've had.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
cjdv16

My theory is that Maloney is a complete jackass who needs to rub some rogaine on his sideburns to keep them from falling off. (ever get a look at those suckers? maybe his barber is half-cocked up i've never seen someone cut their sideburns above their ears).

Don Maloney is only one step above jackass in comparison to his brother Dave, who was the major reason I was so happy the Isles beat the Rangers on Tuesday.

Dave was spouting all kinds of **** to reporters and in the pre-game about how Tuesday night would be different and how the Isles haven't seen a team like the current Rangers in a long time.

Damn ass clown.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:52 AM
VinnyV88

I want to hurt someone right now... really, really, really bad

I hope Don Maloney suffers endless torture while rots in hell!

Ok, that might be a bit over the top, but I really don't like that mother ****er.

VinnyV88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:02 AM
MikeT98213

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin21 View Post
the turgeon trade was terrible. it actually may be as bad as the luongo trade. i've always wondered what we did to deserve the pain that has been inflicted upon our fanbase by maloney and milbury.
What made the Turgeon trade terrible was that Muller was already slipping dramatically having been demoted to the 3rd line - and moved to LW - a few weeks prior to the deal. Anyone who scouted Muller should have seen how poorly he was playing so, even if Muller learned to love Long Island, the trade was destined to be a bad one for the Isles.

Having said that, there is no way in my mind that Maloney comes close to equalling the era of ineptitude perpetrated by Mike Milbury. A series of horrendous coaching decisions - including some poor coaching of his own - and an endless series of bad trades where we had and either gave up (or missed out on drafting position) star calibre players will be Milbury's legacy on Long Island.

Even granting him some immunity from the ownership madness, there is no manner, shape or form to defend him. I wouldn't want either of these two as my GM but if I had to make a choice, I'd take Maloney, hands down.

MikeT98213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
he stole Bryzgalov, as well as Montoya and Marcel Hossa from the Rangers.
Stole Montoya and Hossa? Neither are the players that they are supposed to be after being drafted in the 1st round. I wouldn't say that he exactly stole anything from the Rangers. The Yotes and the Rangers swapped disappointing "goalies of the future" and a couple of forwards. I'd take this new guy Sjostrom and his speed over Hossa's lumbering style any day of the week. And the throw in Josh Gratton was nice insurance just in case Colton Orr can't go one night. I like that deal a lot for both sides.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
And You Feel Shame

Keep in mind that the Islanders also owned marketing rights to Turgeon as part of his contract. That could have been better leveraged. The Turgeon deal was awful, and as other have stated would have still been awful had Muller played with all his heart here.

Also, unlike Milbury, Maloney wasn't under immense pressure to slash payroll, so his bad dealings were all him.

Hogue for Fichaud wasn't awful. At the time, Fichaud was a top prospect. The Hextall deal itself wasn't bad, but the decision to leave Healy unprotected that led to the deal was brutal. Trading Krupp was depressing too.

Dismantling that main line that guided us through the great 1993 playoffs was just a shame.

Milbury may have made the single worst trade in this franchise's history, but he did a far better job managing this team and payroll than Maloney ever did, under very different circumstances. At least some of Milbury's trades had upside despite owner's efforts to destroy assets.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
McLovin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT98213 View Post
What made the Turgeon trade terrible was that Muller was already slipping dramatically having been demoted to the 3rd line - and moved to LW - a few weeks prior to the deal. Anyone who scouted Muller should have seen how poorly he was playing so, even if Muller learned to love Long Island, the trade was destined to be a bad one for the Isles.

Having said that, there is no way in my mind that Maloney comes close to equalling the era of ineptitude perpetrated by Mike Milbury. A series of horrendous coaching decisions - including some poor coaching of his own - and an endless series of bad trades where we had and either gave up (or missed out on drafting position) star calibre players will be Milbury's legacy on Long Island.

Even granting him some immunity from the ownership madness, there is no manner, shape or form to defend him. I wouldn't want either of these two as my GM but if I had to make a choice, I'd take Maloney, hands down.
maloney was horrible from the get go, and probably would have just gotten worse over time. milbury actually didnt do that bad of a job during his first few years on the island. the problem was that he started making atrocious, franchise-crippling personnel decisions, and instead of being fired, he was allowed to continue destroying our franchise.

McLovin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
IslandersFan

I refuse to revisit the idiotic trades that either Maloney or Milbury made, we've been over them far to many times before.

For me it all comes down to this - No Don Maloney = No Mike Milbury.

If I only had one bullet left in the chamber, mine's being used on Maloney.

IslandersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin21 View Post
maloney was horrible from the get go, and probably would have just gotten worse over time. milbury actually didnt do that bad of a job during his first few years on the island. the problem was that he started making atrocious, franchise-crippling personnel decisions, and instead of being fired, he was allowed to continue destroying our franchise.
Agreed.

As mentioned before, that 1992-93 team was all assembled by Bill Torrey. Maloney stepped into the role of GM prior to that season. He was new and didn't want to mess with the current lineup right away. So he waited til the offseason, regardless of how good that team ended up being, he didn't like it and wanted to make some changes. Our defense immediately got weaker with the trades of Norton (traded for a 3rd rounder after arguably his best season) and Kurvers (unprotected in expansion draft). He revamped our goaltending...opting for Hextall and leaving Healy unprotected. Backup was split between the forgettable Tom Draper and McLennan. Keith Acton was acquired, Loiselle was gone. It was enough of a shake-up for the team to lose it's identity.

Next thing you know, we get swept by the Rags and morale sunk. The start of the abbreviated 94-95 season was not good. The bottom eventually fell out 30 games in, and then "the trade" happened. How you can trade your top star center, who by the way was still 24 years old, for an older veteran whose production suffered tremendously in 1993-1995 and was -21 before the trade...is beyond me. Maloney sold the deal as a way to bring in a guy who has won a Cup and can carry this team. And carry he did...right into the dark ages. My personal feeling was that it was the worst deal in Islanders history. And it was symbolic because it was the beginning of an era of absolute turmoil. With the Luongo deal...we did have something to look forward to in choosing DiPietro, even though we were pissed. Not so much in the Turgeon deal and what made it worse was Muller's reluctance to play for the team.

We missed the playoffs that season (94-95) and all hell broke loose. Our leading scorer (Ferraro) signed with the Rangers. Hogue was traded. Thomas was traded. Muller didn't want to be here and eventually got traded. Soon Flatley would go. We were up for sale. Current management tried to take the team in a new direction by overhauling the colors and jerseys. And Milbury was brought on as head coach. An absolute disaster all within about 6 months.

By the time Maloney left...this team was used and abused. Shoddy ownership played a part in that...but Maloney didn't operate under the same conditions that Milbury did in the late 90's. Maloney had a direction he wanted this team to head in...and it put the team in absolute turmoil. I don't see how Milbury could recover from that taking over his role, and then having to face salary dumps and letting kids go because they soon would demand more money. Although, after Wang, Milbury takes alot of heat for the moves he made.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
JP Parise

First you have to start with the fact that Maloney was succeeding Bill Torrey, a Hall of Fame general manager, and as that silly banner attests - the architect of the Islanders dynasty teams. Not an easy act to follow...

Then you throw in the fact that he was largely unexperienced, and you have the guy who was the inept prologue to the woefully inept chapter of Islander suckitude written by Mike Milbury. Maloney's personnel decisions were horrific, but unlike Mad Mike his tenure was mercifully brief

Maloney eventually worked his up way back to the GM spot, and learned how to build hockey teams. I harbor no ill will towards him anymore.

In a way, and I'm sure many will disagree, I kind of see Snow as a newer Maloney. A guy just sort of thrown into the job with not much to really recommend him.

Whether or not he'll be another disaster, or surprisingly competent, remains to be seen.

JP Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
TROLLPOSO

As soon as Maloney was hired, I declared he was a Ranger spy sent to destroy the Islanders from within. To this day, I still remember sitting in my car outside of school and hearing on the FAN that they made the Muller -Turgeon deal.

At that moment, I knew this team made a colossal mistake. Trading our best player and one of our young defensemen for Muller?!?!?!!? That was awful before Muller declared his distaste for the Isles.

I still think this trade was the push over the precipice that led us to the current situation.

The Luongo-Jokkinen deal was the move that cemented Milbury's legendary stupidity. I still think that trade is the worst trade of assets in Islanders history, but the worst trade for the stability and future of this franchise was Maloney's disaster.

Plus, Milbury could have righted this thing by hiring Nolan way back when. But we know his ego would have never allowed that.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Donnico1

Yeah, thats really the sad truth of the whole Turgeon-Muller deal; Even as a 16 year old that played only roller hockey I knew it was a disaster. Everyone knew it was a disaster instinctually. It didnt need years to pan out; It was a bad deal at the time and in hindsight it was the worst trade in team history.

I hate Don Maloney almost as much as I hate Kirk Muller. I hope they both get SARS. You cant forget that as much of an ass as Milbury was, he was instructed to slash salary (and who can forget Spano, or the Milstein & co. circus) and he really couldnt afford to hold on to any good players. That doesnt excuse his idiocy (i.e. the Luongo deal or Yashin for 10 years among countless others), but it makes Maloney a bit worse in my eyes. The Islanders have never truly recovered from Maloney's destruction, even to this day. A pox on Don Maloney and his whole clan!

Donnico1 is offline   Reply With Quote