HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Trying to take more slapshots

Old
03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
NHLhockey1234

vCash: 500
Jagr Trying to take more slapshots

I was always screaming for Jagr to take slapshots because I think goalies and players have figured out his quick little snapshot. I saw the slapshot practice he had with shanny during the MSG intermission and I was wondering, will transitioning to the slapshot neccessarily get him more goals? He took one on Dubi (not Dubinsky ) today that wasn't bad.

He's been really good lately, but I feel it's not going to work for him if he keeps up his selflessness. He's too much about passing now, which I feel will eventually degrade his shooting game. We need him to score goals in the playoffs, and it's best he starts now and gets a goal scoring streak till the end of the season.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I would hope so for the Rangers sake, the man has got a cannon.

03-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I would hope so for the Rangers sake, the man has got a cannon.
Yeah he does but he needs to lift it.

More often than not he takes shots that aren't lifted and they are easily saved by any goaltender that isn't retarded.

I say stick to the passing, he isn't going to score much if any the rest of the season and in the playoffs (if we make it).

I have no confidence in him getting even 20 goals, so..

Prove me wrong though big man..

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
NHLhockey1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Yeah he does but he needs to lift it.

More often than not he takes shots that aren't lifted and they are easily saved by any goaltender that isn't retarded.

I say stick to the passing, he isn't going to score much if any the rest of the season and in the playoffs (if we make it).

I have no confidence in him getting even 20 goals, so..

Prove me wrong though big man..

Haha, that's a very very good point. What's wrong with his shot is that he doesn't get any elevation on it. Jagrs shot used to be very unique, but with the defensive systems now, he's shut down. He always weaves across the ice and takes that snapshot of his off balance and just doesn't get enough elevation off of it. I really think something has tweaked in his shoulder and that he can't get much out of it more especially off balance, which is why I think he's realizing that he has to put his whole body into the shot now.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Coming out of the lockout, it wasn't a part of his game. defenders gave him that high slot shot because he was previously known as a down low kinda scorer.

Now that he's well scouted he doesn't even seem to try those kind of shots anymore, and when he does, after the shoulder injury, he doesn't seem to have the same strength. that shoulder has go to be 100% by now, and good thing that he's starting to add another element to his game to be even more dangerous.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
He's not confident in his wrist shot any longer. It may be injury related - if so, as noted, it will never again be the same.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
it's weird for him to ask for advice, with such a great shot that he has. it just tells me he's no confident shotting at this point, not good.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
it's weird for him to ask for advice, with such a great shot that he has. it just tells me he's no confident shotting at this point, not good.
Not so weird though, but I can understand what you mean.

Shanahan's always had such a great shot that asking advice from his fellow 600-goal scoring teammate isn't such a big deal,

If anything, Jagr should teach Shanny some highlight reel passes, and Shanny should teach Jagr how to slap it big time.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Speedtrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
That chance in the 3rd when the fishsticks Dubi, made a glove save on him was frustrating to watch. Two years ago he roofs that shot before the goalie has a chance. However, I still believe he is going to start scoring though. Even if doesn't he creates so much open room and opportunities for Avery and Dubinsky, he is still a great asset and leader.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 09:40 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
That chance in the 3rd when the fishsticks Dubi, made a glove save on him was frustrating to watch. Two years ago he roofs that shot before the goalie has a chance. However, I still believe he is going to start scoring though. Even if doesn't he creates so much open room and opportunities for Avery and Dubinsky, he is still a great asset and leader.
it sucks to watch make a few little moves trying to get the goalie to move when he has a wide open shot. if he was confident in his shot he would just rip and not worry about trying to get the goalie to move. his shot is that good, he doesn't need to do anything than to pick his spot and let it fly.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
ThirdEye

Oh how I long for a Jagr slapshot goal...

I swear, I don't remember the last time it happened. Must have been in the playoffs last year or something

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
dank

lack of confidence isn't that easy to break

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
NYR469

its mind-boggling how a guy that is one of the best players all-time, top european player ever claims he didn't learn how to take a proper slapshot until he got to washington and gonchar showed him...just imagine how many goals he would have scored in his pittsburgh days if someone had taught him to shoot lol

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Celestial Black

Yeah, I thought it was funny that he talked to Shanny at practice before the game to ask how to do a slapshot.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 06:57 AM
bumrusherer

Thats what can happen when someone is so far advanced of his peers when he is growing up.
His faults can slip through the net and he can spend a whole career without knowing how to perform certain skills.

Its quite cool how he is still trying to learn new things though. 36 years old and always trying to improve.
Thats why he is great.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 07:56 AM
92hatchattack

Jarg knows how to take the slapshot..... does no one here remember the 05-06 season where every other of Jagr 54 goals were the one timer from the top of the circle??? Are you kidding me??? His shot was unstopable! After his shoulder injury he just never seemed to go pack to that... i wish he would though.. it was a thing of beauty

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Ola

It just shows how important its with knowledgeble coaches in the game of hockey.

Taking a slapshot is just as much science as the entire sport of golf. Everyone who plays golf knows how much stuff you can do wrong when swinging a golfstick.

I am sure JJ could shoot a slapshot before Gonch teaching him, but he might not have been able to elevate/controll a one-timer. Some really struggles with that.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:46 AM
ohbaby

Keeping the shot low is intentional. You want a hard shot low to create rebounds for Avery n Dubi. Shooting high, less chance of a rebound. Renny has said, "Aim for the pillows" Which are the goalie pads.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
NYROrtsFan

I'm willing to guess that Jagr would do very well with just about anything he tried. At least having to do with hockey. The guy is extremely talented and still the best player on the team. Gomez has played the best for the early part of the year, but Jags is still the best.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote