HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 players over 50 points?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2008, 07:00 AM
  #1
krmason
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
7 players over 50 points?

I just looked at the stats and noticed that we could have 7 players over 50 points this season:

kovalev 72
plek 62
markov 53
koivu 50
streit 49
higgins 43
a kost 43

I can't remember a year when the scoring was spread over so many people. this team has been such a surprise even people in Ottawa are talking about them on the media.

Hope to see 4 or 5 players make it over 60 points each

krmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 07:24 AM
  #2
Hab-a-maniac
Registered User
 
Hab-a-maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto via Calgary!
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,202
vCash: 500
Habs were top 5 highest scoring teams in the league from 1980-83 and didn't have one 100 pt. or 50 goal man in that time. I think Mark Napier's 40 in 82/83 was the closest in goals and Keith Acton's 88 pts. in 81-82 the closest in pts. That's the last time we had an offense so spread out. So you're talking about Lafleur, Shutt (both on the downslide of course), Acton, Napier, Robinson, Tremblay, Lambert, Mondou as your core.

Like this team, not top line scorers but all provided a balanced attack. Of course, they all choked in the playoffs (a combined 2-9 in those years). We actually do have the #1 offense right now if you rank by GPG. If we were to score our avg. 3 or 4 goals in the game in hand to make up on Ottawa, we'd pass them. Bravo to the offense. For the first time in years (since 1979-80 I believe) the Habs offense is the class of the league

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 07:30 AM
  #3
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmason View Post
I just looked at the stats and noticed that we could have 7 players over 50 points this season:

kovalev 72
plek 62
markov 53
koivu 50
streit 49
higgins 43
a kost 43

I can't remember a year when the scoring was spread over so many people. this team has been such a surprise even people in Ottawa are talking about them on the media.

Hope to see 4 or 5 players make it over 60 points each
SInce Mr. Lafleur spoke up, the team scoring has soared, and the Habs are only two goals behind the league lead for most goals scored, and they have one game in hand on the team ahead of them!

They have the following FIRST-LINE calibre players:

#18 scoring Centre - Plekanec
# 28 scoring Centre - Koivu
#3 scoring R Wing - Kovalev
#18 scoring L Wing - Streit
#26 scoring L Wing - Higgins
#27 scoring L Wing - A. Kostitsyn
#3 scoring Defenceman - Markov
#58 scoring Defenceman - Hamrlik

If you don't want to consider Streit a LW, then he is the #4 scoring Defenceman. Either way, Streit is scoring at a first-line clip.

That's 8 players in total, including either five or six forwards!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:06 AM
  #4
#eleven
Registered User
 
#eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
SInce Mr. Lafleur spoke up, the team scoring has soared, and the Habs are only two goals behind the league lead for most goals scored, and they have one game in hand on the team ahead of them!

They have the following FIRST-LINE calibre players:

#18 scoring Centre - Plekanec
# 28 scoring Centre - Koivu
#3 scoring R Wing - Kovalev
#18 scoring L Wing - Streit
#26 scoring L Wing - Higgins
#27 scoring L Wing - A. Kostitsyn
I'd like to rate it something like this in terms of production by place
TOP 1-30: 1st line
1-10 Superb/Excellent/Good
11-20 Good/Average
21-30 Needs improving

31-60: 2nd line
1-30 Superb/Excellent
31-40 Excellent/Good
41-50 Average
51-60 Needs improving

This way:
Plekanec: Average 1st line center
Koivu: Superb/Excellent 2nd line center
Kovalev: Superb/Excellent 1st line R wing
Streit: Average 1st line L wing (well... QB of the 2nd unit of the best PP in the league)
Higgins: Excellent second line LW
A. Kostitsyn: Needs improving 1st line LW, which he is doing. And his P/G ratio has been around 70p/season since Dec 6th. If he would've played all season long with this ratio he'd be #7!!
S. Kostitsyn would be #39 with is P/G ratio if he'd played all the games, which would make him a good 2nd line RW, and he's still improving.

Things are looking bright in terms of scoring by first 2 lines. I'd still wish for a great scorer RW for Higgins-Koivu-line. Sergei's more of playmaker type, although he has a terrific shot. Somebody should tell him to shoot more. Same thing with Ryder.

Most goals per game in the league!

EDIT: Post #100

#eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:16 AM
  #5
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,282
vCash: 500
How cool would it be if Kovalev got 90! he still has time to do it, 18 points in 14 games is not impossible for him

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
  #6
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How cool would it be if Kovalev got 90! he still has time to do it, 18 points in 14 games is not impossible for him
After a 47 point season, most folks would have considered 65 points a TERRIFIC comeback! Even moreso, if we were told that the league scoring average would be down at least 0.1 goals per game per team.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:31 AM
  #7
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #eleven View Post
I'd like to rate it something like this in terms of production by place
TOP 1-30: 1st line
1-10 Superb/Excellent/Good
11-20 Good/Average
21-30 Needs improving

31-60: 2nd line
1-30 Superb/Excellent
31-40 Excellent/Good
41-50 Average
51-60 Needs improving

This way:
Plekanec: Average 1st line center
Koivu: Superb/Excellent 2nd line center
Kovalev: Superb/Excellent 1st line R wing
Streit: Average 1st line L wing (well... QB of the 2nd unit of the best PP in the league)
Higgins: Excellent second line LW
A. Kostitsyn: Needs improving 1st line LW, which he is doing. And his P/G ratio has been around 70p/season since Dec 6th. If he would've played all season long with this ratio he'd be #7!!
S. Kostitsyn would be #39 with is P/G ratio if he'd played all the games, which would make him a good 2nd line RW, and he's still improving.

Things are looking bright in terms of scoring by first 2 lines. I'd still wish for a great scorer RW for Higgins-Koivu-line. Sergei's more of playmaker type, although he has a terrific shot. Somebody should tell him to shoot more. Same thing with Ryder.

Most goals per game in the league!
Mike Ribeiro: Superb 1st liner
Brad Richards, Rod Brind'amour, Chris Drury: Needs Improving

(I notice that your recipe for the guys in the 21-30 group is NOT: "trade their a**** away as fast as possible for a bag of pucks".)

BTW, Streit is not on the 2nd unit of the PP, he is one of the two pointmen on the 1st unit.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:42 AM
  #8
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,124
vCash: 500
It's too bad Kosty Jr didn't play the whole season, cause he'd hit 50 PTS, without a doubt in my opinion.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
  #9
#eleven
Registered User
 
#eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Mike Ribeiro: Superb 1st liner
Brad Richards, Rod Brind'amour, Chris Drury: Needs Improving
Yep, I think the formula works. But just in terms of point production in reg season. Richards can be excused because he's not having his best season, and both Richards and Drury can also be excused because of their clutchiness in the playoffs. Brind'amour's a superb two-way forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
(I notice that your recipe for the guys in the 21-30 group is NOT: "trade their a**** away as fast as possible for a bag of pucks".)
Yeah, it definately isn't. If you're in top30 in your place in your role, then you're fine. If you score 60+ points in a full season in 1st line, you're fine. If you score average 0,5 p/g in the second line, you're fine. But in both cases, I'd wish some more from a guy in a team that wants to be a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
BTW, Streit is not on the 2nd unit of the PP, he is one of the two pointmen on the 1st unit.
Oh, thanks for the correction. I actually wasn't quite sure about it when I was writing. Well, that proves my point even more: I think he necessarily isn't top2-line guy (but he IS tremendous in his current role in the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
It's too bad Kosty Jr didn't play the whole season, cause he'd hit 50 PTS, without a doubt in my opinion.
Yeah, with his p/g -> 43 points in 82 games. But his pace has improved during the course of the season (I think, not looking at his stats right now).

#eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 09:06 AM
  #10
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #eleven View Post
I'd like to rate it something like this in terms of production by place
TOP 1-30: 1st line
1-10 Superb/Excellent/Good
11-20 Good/Average
21-30 Needs improving

31-60: 2nd line
1-30 Superb/Excellent
31-40 Excellent/Good
41-50 Average
51-60 Needs improving

This way:
Plekanec: Average 1st line center
Koivu: Superb/Excellent 2nd line center
Kovalev: Superb/Excellent 1st line R wing
Streit: Average 1st line L wing (well... QB of the 2nd unit of the best PP in the league)
Higgins: Excellent second line LW
A. Kostitsyn: Needs improving 1st line LW, which he is doing. And his P/G ratio has been around 70p/season since Dec 6th. If he would've played all season long with this ratio he'd be #7!!
S. Kostitsyn would be #39 with is P/G ratio if he'd played all the games, which would make him a good 2nd line RW, and he's still improving.

Things are looking bright in terms of scoring by first 2 lines. I'd still wish for a great scorer RW for Higgins-Koivu-line. Sergei's more of playmaker type, although he has a terrific shot. Somebody should tell him to shoot more. Same thing with Ryder.

Most goals per game in the league!

EDIT: Post #100
I like this

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 09:14 AM
  #11
1986Habs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmason View Post
I just looked at the stats and noticed that we could have 7 players over 50 points this season:
If it happens, it will be the first time since 1988-89: Naslund, Smith, Chelios, Richer, Carbonneau, Lemieux, Corson. Not a bad group!

It's amazing that, for three consecutive seasons (1998-99, 1999-00 and 2000-01), nobody on the team topped 50 points!

1986Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 09:25 AM
  #12
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986Habs View Post
If it happens, it will be the first time since 1988-89: Naslund, Smith, Chelios, Richer, Carbonneau, Lemieux, Corson. Not a bad group!

It's amazing that, for three consecutive seasons (1998-99, 1999-00 and 2000-01), nobody on the team topped 50 points!
How could have we survived to Peanut?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 09:25 AM
  #13
Better With Age*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #eleven View Post

This way:
Plekanec: Average 1st line center
Koivu: Superb/Excellent 2nd line center
Kovalev: Superb/Excellent 1st line R wing
Streit: Average 1st line L wing (well... QB of the 2nd unit of the best PP in the league)
Higgins: Excellent second line LW
A. Kostitsyn: Needs improving 1st line LW, which he is doing. And his P/G ratio has been around 70p/season since Dec 6th. If he would've played all season long with this ratio he'd be #7!!
S. Kostitsyn would be #39 with is P/G ratio if he'd played all the games, which would make him a good 2nd line RW, and he's still improving.
I totally disagree about SK. He will never get any better. He has reached his career ceiling.




Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 09:40 AM
  #14
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
I totally disagree about SK. He will never get any better. He has reached his career ceiling.



Oh for Prissake...

I've been wrong before.. SK looks like a great guy to keep..

The other thread was about if SK > AK or Pleks.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
  #15
xeric716x
Born To Expire
 
xeric716x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jack City
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
Higgins and AK46 will both break 50

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
  #16
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
I totally disagree about SK. He will never get any better. He has reached his career ceiling.



You mean Lats right?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
  #17
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
Higgins and AK46 will both break 50
I really hope your right because if they do I believe the Habs will surley finish top 4.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 10:21 AM
  #18
Rock On
Registered User
 
Rock On's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saint-Jean
Country: Canada
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure I saw a thread at the beginning of the season where someone pointed out that could happen and he's been bashed since it's very rare. Anyone remember this thread.

Anyway I'm amazed I wouldn't have dream of that.

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 10:25 AM
  #19
badfish
Habs fan in SK
 
badfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Isn't this some kind of record? Most 50 point scorers?

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
  #20
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderAllNight View Post
Isn't this some kind of record? Most 50 point scorers?
I would think it is not even close.... remember the Oiler teams of the 80s... They had to have at least 7 some of those years.... Gretz, Kurri, Coffey, Messier, Anderson,
etc....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:45 AM
  #21
badfish
Habs fan in SK
 
badfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I would think it is not even close.... remember the Oiler teams of the 80s... They had to have at least 7 some of those years.... Gretz, Kurri, Coffey, Messier, Anderson,
etc....
I think it might be 60 point scorers I'm thinking of because a quick check of the 80s Oilers shows a lot of 50 point scorers.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
  #22
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderAllNight View Post
I think it might be 60 point scorers I'm thinking of because a quick check of the 80s Oilers shows a lot of 50 point scorers.
oilers:
79-80 - 5 50pt scorers
80-81 - 7 50pt scorers
81-82 - 8 50pt scorers ( 7 60 pt guys)
82-83 - 7 50pt scorers (4 100pt guys)
83-84 - 7 50pt scorers

Last season, Buffalo had 7 50 pt guys.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
  #23
1986Habs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderAllNight View Post
Isn't this some kind of record? Most 50 point scorers?
I don't know what the league-wide record is, but the 1976-77 and 1982-83 Habs each had ten 50-point scorers.

1976-77: Lafleur, Shutt, Robinson, Lapointe, Lemaire, P. Mahovlich, Risebrough, Cournoyer, Lambert, Houle

1982-83: Lafleur, Walter, Naslund, Napier, Tremblay, Mondou, Robinson, Shutt, Wickenheiser, Acton

1986Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
  #24
carbomustgo07
 
carbomustgo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Out of all those players mentioned, Pleky deserves the most credit IMO. Kovalev is no surprise and I am not that impressed because we all know how skilled he is. Plekanec is not only a great offensive power but he's excelling at all other aspects of the game. He's a true two way player, and is great on the P.K and P.P. All the others are really performing well, and I can't wait to see what the numbers will be at the end of the season.

carbomustgo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:56 PM
  #25
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,050
vCash: 500
We're only 2Goals behind Ottawa for most GF.
And they played one game more than us.

The fact we're higher than Detroit..SJ..Ana..Pitts is just remarkable.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.