HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lats should be benched for not sticking up for Kovalev

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2008, 02:52 AM
  #126
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
5 points behind Ottawa , without Gagné most of the season . Where were they last season ?
Why compare them to Ottawa? They have sucked for a long time now.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 03:38 AM
  #127
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 23,022
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure if it was Lats that would have been attacked by Jovanovski, Kovalev would have reacted the same way and done nothing. I've never seen Kovy help a teammate.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 06:31 AM
  #128
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'm pretty sure if it was Lats that would have been attacked by Jovanovski, Kovalev would have reacted the same way and done nothing. I've never seen Kovy help a teammate.
And you never will see anybody stick up for Lats ever again. It was his role and duty to protect the players on the team that are responsible for their position as division leaders. Kovy goes down we drop in the standings. Lats goes down it's business as usual.

With Lats obvious lack of speed and skills he has only one asset and that's his size. He needs to use that and get involved or make room for Kosto who would have made Jovo pay for his actions. Kosto is the only guy that will stick up for his teammates and he's upstairs while Lats is invisible on the ice and gets a free pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderAllNight View Post
Lats should be benched because the HFBoards bandwagon has emptied.

Get a grip guys, let him develop.
He should do a stint in the AHL then. If he needs to develop he should be sent down. The big club is where you play once you earn it not as a trial project. We have guys to replace his less than mediocre play if he goes down for 2 weeks and gets his head on straight. Maybe he can grow a sack down there and come back a little less afraid to use his size and strength and manhandle the opponent. He has earned a reputation of a coward for backing away from everyone.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-08-2008 at 07:15 AM.
RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 06:58 AM
  #129
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
Latendresse played

10 min again which is terrible, hes played around that much time for the past 10 games atleast which is pretty much pointless for a player 20 years old.

Because hes not on the roster in Hamilton for the playoffs I can assume hes going to stick with the team for the rest of the year.

Anyone defending him being on this team right now wake up, the kid is not cut out for the NHL right now hes just completley out classed in just about every way and its reprisented by the lack of confidence Carbo is putting in him.

Montreal had other options last year too it wasnt like we needed to keep a mediocore 2nd round draft pick whos been playing mediocore hockey for the past few years, and now its apparent we are stuck with the guy eating up a roster spot for someone down in the minors who is actually worth a cup of tea.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 08:19 AM
  #130
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Daniel Briere is a bad example.

Funny you didn't use Sidney Crosby. I'd take a team full of Wayne Gretzky's anyday of the week. You can have a big grit celebration but they won't be able to catch Gretzky. They are gonna just look stupid. I know you mean "Gritty with Talent" vs. Talent, but lets be realistic here.

You need a balance of speed, skill, intelligence, grit and heart. However, talent is a lot more important than grit or heart. You can have all the heart and grit in the world. Hell, the 1999 Buffalo Sabres were gritty to the bone. However, remove Hasek and Satan and they are absolutely pathetic. Just watch how the Ducks played this year without Selanne and Neidermayer. Not very impressive.

There is nothing wrong with being tough, but team toughness trumps player toughness. There are different reasons you can be tough, and just because you're soft doesn't mean you can't win. Lats would just be a big body if he didn't have his soft hands, and I believe in the long run of his career, those soft hands will be what makes him a great player, not his big body. Over time he'll be more confident in laying the body. He is currently 85th in hits. Not bad.

Well we could go round and round with this debate. I used Briere as an example because you were talking about the Sabres success over the past couple of years.

Trust me Gretzky was surrounded by toughness. He was not allowed to be touched. He never played without a goon on his wing. Different time different NHL. I agree with you team toughness should be the bench mark, Lats doesn't hit that mark, not yet. He may never have the "stomach" or the "heart" to do so. I can only go by what I see nightly. I brought uo the comparison between him as a 21yo and Lucic 19yo just as an example of what a big body kid can do when he's not scoring. Who would you rather have RIGHT NOW. If Lats is your answer then......well......we have to agree to disagree.

Every one in the Lats camp keeps saying he's 21 give him time, again back to Lucic, or look no further than Lapierre..... he is more valuable to the Habs right now due to the energy he brings.

I like Lats and his potential but he is a dead spot in the lineup RIGHT NOW. I hope he goes on a tear and makes me look stupid for posting this but I'm not blind to his effort during the past quarter of the season.

As far as Crosby goes well he is tougher than alot of people give him credit for.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
  #131
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post

As far as Crosby goes well he is tougher than alot of people give him credit for.
Cindy Crosby still dives a lot and whines to the Refs everytime he gets hit and because of that i appreciate him less and less.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 09:11 AM
  #132
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
- Sophomore season (usually a bad year for plenty of players).
- 20 years old.
- Post same numbers as last year (pretty much) with less quality minutes.

I'll wait a year or 2 before starting to complain about such a young guy.

He will improve a lot in the next 2 years imo.

As for his physical attributes. He will learn to use it more and will will more confident doing so in the next few years.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 10:08 AM
  #133
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
- Sophomore season (usually a bad year for plenty of players).
- 20 years old.
- Post same numbers as last year (pretty much) with less quality minutes.

I'll wait a year or 2 before starting to complain about such a young guy.

He will improve a lot in the next 2 years imo.

As for his physical attributes. He will learn to use it more and will will more confident doing so in the next few years.
Totally agree...

Lats is a player I like a whole lot on this team... in fact there are so many great young talent on this depth chart, it makes me very happy to go through it.

He shoulda done something... however I think he's just in a slump... He's definatel not fodder to trade however... that would be silly.

The guy is getting 15 in his current state... He'll break out in a year or 2... (Usually 4 years for NHL'ers.

I notice he at least tries, and he does great in a scoring role... Yeah he didnt go after Jovo-cop... oh well, we still won, and nothing came as a result... Last I heard, Kovy is doing just fine and is dressing tonight. No harm, no foul.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 11:13 AM
  #134
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Cindy Crosby still dives a lot and whines to the Refs everytime he gets hit and because of that i appreciate him less and less.

well why wouldn't you say "Crosby, he's only 20 yo, give him time" or "cut him some slack he's a young super star, let's reevaluate in 5 years".

I see this duplicity all the time when Price has a tough game at a much more difficult position than say Lats.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 11:15 AM
  #135
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Ottawa have 2 points less than the Habs ...

Last season Flyers = 56 points after 82 games

This season they have yet 76 points after 68 games played . They are at only 8 points of the leader of the conference , even if Gagné was out most of the season . Where do you think that the Habs would be without Kovalev or Plekanec or Koivu , for most of the season ?
We've been without Crosby all season, what's your point?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:43 PM
  #136
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
I couldn't believe Latendresse's cowardice in the last minute of the Coyotes game last night. Jovanovksi was clearly frustrated after S-Kost's goal sealed the game, so he rips Kovy's helmet off and then slashes him, and Latendresse was following Kovy into the zone and did absolutely nothing to stand up for our leading goal scorer and arguably most talented player.

That was unbelievable. We can get along without wasting a roster spot on an "enforcer", but only if everyone is willing to stand up for eachother. Especially a bigger guy like Lats.




GO HABS GO
How about Kovalev stands up for himself? It's not like Kovalev was disabled or anything. Plus, Latendresse is hardly a fighter or a goon.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:46 PM
  #137
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
How about Kovalev stands up for himself? It's not like Kovalev was disabled or anything. Plus, Latendresse is hardly a fighter or a goon.
How can a guy who advertises himself as a "powerforward" also say he's not a guy who drops his glove. Powerforwards should be the first guy dropping them when their teammates get harassed. Lats is annoying when it comes to this, the guy has no character and he needs to realize he's a hockey player and not a ballerina.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:54 PM
  #138
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
How about Kovalev stands up for himself? It's not like Kovalev was disabled or anything. Plus, Latendresse is hardly a fighter or a goon.
Oh you didn't hear apparently some posters around here have designated him as our enforcer. thats why we have a thread about Lats not sticking up for Kovalev and not a peep about the other players on the ice at the time. someone clearly decided to single him out for reasons unknown.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 02:20 PM
  #139
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
I haven't been pleased with his performance this season but let's not go overboard in criticizing him. He never volunteered to be an enforcer, so we shouldn't assume he is just because he's big. However, he could step in at times when a teammate is in trouble because he isn't one of the team's most important players, and if he's penalized it isn't a critical loss.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
  #140
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Oh you didn't hear apparently some posters around here have designated him as our enforcer. thats why we have a thread about Lats not sticking up for Kovalev and not a peep about the other players on the ice at the time. someone clearly decided to single him out for reasons unknown.
Shhhh. If people want Bruin envy and want Latendresse to be Milan Lucic, let them have their Bruin envy.

Hopefully they'll switch jerseys to really get their love of grit.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
  #141
mrCoffea*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
How about Kovalev stands up for himself? It's not like Kovalev was disabled or anything. Plus, Latendresse is hardly a fighter or a goon.
Ok so let's see....

He can't score, he can't pass, he can't create scoring chances, he can't skate, he can't defend and now he can't stand up for his teammates. So exactly what the **** is he doing on the team?


Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-08-2008 at 09:55 PM.
mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 06:10 PM
  #142
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
Ok so let's see....

He can't score, he can't pass, he can't create scoring chances, he can't skate, he can't defend and now he can't stand up for his teammates. So exactly what the **** is he doing on the team?
Did you watch the game today? He looked good on offence. He is much improved in his own zone, too.

By the way, the other day, Kovalev was out of danger, and the player was getting a penalty. What do you want a Hab to do? Get a useless instigator penalty and 1-game suspension?


Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-08-2008 at 09:55 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
  #143
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,461
vCash: 500
15 goals scorers ;

Gomez - Kariya - Legwand - Demitra - Wolski - Vermette - Kozlov - j. Jokinen - Bernier - Pavelski - Tucker - Latendresse .

There are around 360 forwards in the NHL . there are 102 players that are having more than 15 goals right now .

Stats don't say everything , we all know it , but sometime they help to put the things in perspective .

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.