HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

OTT/EDM proposal

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
OTT/EDM proposal

Well it has been done to death, but after watching both Games on saturday night I really think these two teams have the makings of a Trade waiting to happen.

The oil need to build for the future, as this season is a lost cause, so they can afford to moved some vets to get younth in areas they are weak in like Center, goal and defence.

The Sens need a scoring left wing and an enforcer who can deal with the big nasty men hurting their stars. They could also use some more grit on their back end to make their zone a nasty place to play.

The oil have all three pieces to trade.

1)Smyth-scoring LW 2) Laraque-elite level enforcer. 3) jason Smith- tough top 4 d-man

The oil can trade all three of these players separatly and get good value so the OTT offer has to at least equate to what they could get separatly.

The way I see it OTT oesn't want to move roster players, but they are going to have to to make room for 3 players on teh roster so this is what i propose:

To OTT: Laraque, Smith, Smyth

To edm: Vermette, Emery, Volchenkov and neil.

Breaks down like this

Smith for Volchenkov
Smyth for Emery and Vermette
Laraque for neil/

The oil get a Center in Vermette a goalie in Emery and a D-man in Volchenkov that can all step into position of weakness and fill roster spots as early as next season, and neil can replace some of the grit lost in Laraque.

And ggez look at OTT's roster now

Smyth Bonk Hossa
schaefer Spezza Alfreddson
White Fisher Havlat
hamel Vanallen Laraque

Chara Redden
Smith Rachunek
Hnidy Lesyschyn

Looks like a cup winner to me!

Old
02-02-2004, 08:46 PM
officeglen

Way too much for Ottawa to give up.

Smith - could easily just be a playoff rental - might be a UFA by the time the lockout is over
Smyth - again not long term, but useful in these key years, if the lockout doesn't go on for several hockey seasons
Laraque - says he will not play hard and will not fight for his "new" team

Neil for Laraque - rather keep Neil
Smith for Volchenkov - too short use of Smith to give up Volchenkov for him
Smyth for Emery and Vermette - too many years of Emery and Vermette to give up for a few key years of Smyth.

So, of course, I vastly prefer my offers/proposals in the Smyth/Smith thead (and where this thread should be merged imo), and also in the thread in the Ottawa forum

Old
02-02-2004, 08:48 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
And geez look at OTT's roster now

Smyth Bonk Hossa
schaefer Spezza Alfreddson
White Fisher Havlat
hamel Vanallen Laraque

Chara Redden
Smith Rachunek
Hnidy Lesyschyn

Looks like a cup winner to me!
Where the heck did Chris Phillips disappear to? I think your asking to much in this deal, any value Laraque once had is destroyed between his not so great recent play and his comments on how he would fight for no other team then Edmonton.

Old
02-02-2004, 08:50 PM
sensfan18

How about Isbister and Laraque for far less? What would it take? Our 1st and......

BTW, Ottawa will not deal Emery, he is our future #1. And with Lalime's play this year the future may be alot sooner than we predicted.

Last edited by sensfan18: 02-02-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old
02-02-2004, 08:51 PM
eazye

You forgot about Smolinski. But I do believe that a trade could be done between these 2 teams. I don't think Emery will be included in the deal. Ottawa doesn't have a lot of depth after Lalime and Prusek. Moving Emery would put Billy Thompson as our top prospect goaltender. Emery is our goaltender of the future...I see him as a future Martin Brodeur with Ron Hextall's temper. With the way Lalime has struggles so far this year, I don't think moving Emery is an option.
I think Langfeld has played himself on this team so he could replace Vermette on the fourth line. How about a Rachunek, Vermette and Ottawa 1st round pick for just Smyth and Smith. Laraque sounds like he may be a cancer in the dressing room if he were traded to Ottawa so I would just leave him out of the proposal.

Old
02-02-2004, 08:59 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye
Laraque sounds like he may be a cancer
No it's say quite clearly hear that Laraque fights cancer http://www.oilersfoundation.ca/players/laraque.htm :p

Old
02-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Missionhockey

Smyth would be a great fit for Ottawa. If the Sens can somehow find a way to pry him away from Edmunton then they will be even scarier than they are right now.

Old
02-02-2004, 09:05 PM
officeglen

Right now the Leafs are scarier than the Sens.

Old
02-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Right now the Leafs are scarier than the Sens.
That's with Mogilny out of the lineup. :p

Closed Thread