HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Popinski View Post
Well, i already wrote what you ask for
You can read it here : http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=13530355#post13530355

Do not expect the habs draft Gustafsson,Grachev, Voinov or Tendenby, because you will be dissapointed!
Oh well, no Colborne or Eberle in the list.

Old
05-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Popinski View Post
First of all, one f .. two s Anton Gustafsson
Gustafsson and Grachev are big kids, fast skaters and strong centre like you said ' just what the doctor ordered'.

You'll understand that TT feels both players may turn as bust and while both players have impressive frame, they prefer a more rounded guy.

Let's make a bad comparaison, Dainius Zubrus 6.03,212 , would help the habs... but he made 38 points this year.

Plekanec made 69 points.. and he's barely 5'10
Yes but it could also turn into another :
Franzen,Umberger,Getzlaf,Carter,Lucic,etc...
the turth is the habs dont have a center in the system bigger than 6'2 .... I dont ask to draft size no matter what but it should be priority #1 for our team IMO.

Old
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
the turth is the habs dont have a center in the system bigger than 6'2 .... I dont ask to draft size no matter what but it should be priority #1 for our team IMO.
We'll say it again as some seem to forget quickly. Timmins will always go for the BPA, despite our needs. And he'll, most of the time, go for the Defenceman over the Forward at equal talent/potential.

And for that matter, no our #1 need ain't bigger centres... it is top 6 right-handed wingers/centres, whatever their size is. (Shall I bring back Smolinski on 5-on-3'?) Maybe some will disagree with me on this, but having no right-handed forwards in our top 6 or even top 9 (Smoke or Lappy don't count as they have very limited offensive output) is not helping our situation on the PPs/passing lines/finish in front of the net/etc. I saw at least 10 scoring chances in the crease/slot in the playoffs where I said to myself: "Oh FFS, if this guy was right-handed, this would have been a goal."

Size at centre is really overrated these days. Look at the flyers... Briere (5'9"), Richards (5'10") and Carter (6'4"). They still beat us in the series despite being pretty small up front. Carter was considered as their 3rd liner centre all season long.

Old
05-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Drafting size no matter what was a big part of the problem in our draft failures of the 90s.

Old
05-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
We'll say it again as some seem to forget quickly. Timmins will always go for the BPA, despite our needs. And he'll, most of the time, go for the Defenceman over the Forward at equal talent/potential.

And for that matter, no our #1 need ain't bigger centres... it is top 6 right-handed wingers/centres, whatever their size. Size at centre is really overrated these days. Look at the flyers... Briere (5'9"), Richards (5'10") and Carter (6'4"). They still beat us in the series despite being pretty small up front. Carter was considered as their 3rd liner centre all season long.
Totally agree about the 1st statement, but timmins and every other scouts or GM knows that if you have 2, 3 or sometimes 4 players at the same level you draft the guy that fill a need (timmins said before that he would go for a defenseman or a local player in those cases)

As for the 2nd statement...I agree that size isnt everything but you underrate Flyers size in the middle. Richards is 5'11 > 5'10 Plekanec ; Briere 5'10 = Koivu 5'10; Carter 6'3 > Smolinski 6'1 ...

Pure size is not a hockey skill, but how effectively you use it is considered as one. Anyway from now on it's all speculation and I dont even understand how some of you can claim (unless you have some serious tie with timmins) that he won't draft a Gravchev, Petrov, Gustaffson, Colborne, Beach, Nemisz, etc...

Old
05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Drafting size no matter what was a big part of the problem in our draft failures of the 90s.
re-read the statement please... its our biggest need but it does mean we have to draft some crappy player because he has size...

Old
05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
re-read the statement please...
I know what you said... I was just pointing that out.

Old
05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I know what you said... I was just pointing that out.
I dont think any habs fans in the world would like us to draft the next Terry Ryan, Turner Stevenson, Matt Higgins or Jason Ward ...

Old
05-05-2008, 04:55 PM
giovanni

for the habs, just draft the most skilled player at 25 or where ever they pick. i think it is that simple. I am sure that it will be a pleasure to have a 6-4 center that is strong along the broads and is skilled. But if can draft a center whose is 5-10 or 5-11 and he plays the same game has the bigger center, i'll be happy.

Old
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I dont think any habs fans in the world would like us to draft the next Terry Ryan, Turner Stevenson, Matt Higgins or Jason Ward ...
I don't want Brent Bilodeau or David Wilkie either.

Old
05-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
As for the 2nd statement...I agree that size isnt everything but you underrate Flyers size in the middle. Richards is 5'11 > 5'10 Plekanec ; Briere 5'10 = Koivu 5'10; Carter 6'3 > Smolinski 6'1 ...

Pure size is not a hockey skill, but how effectively you use it is considered as one. Anyway from now on it's all speculation and I dont even understand how some of you can claim (unless you have some serious tie with timmins) that he won't draft a Gravchev, Petrov, Gustaffson, Colborne, Beach, Nemisz, etc...
Listen, I doubt that 1 inch will make a huge difference in the case of Richards and Plek as they Both play small, but for Koivu and Briere, it's totally different since Koivu plays big while Briere(5'9") doesn't . Now, you are right about Carter and Smoke, but we have guys like Chipchura (6'2"), Maxwell (6'1") and Lapierre (6'2") coming up. So, it might not be a strength, but our size down the middle isn't our weakness either.

That being said, I really do want Colborne, to finally have somebody will to go in front of the net and screen/get garbage goals.

About the 'speculation' , he is taking his info mostly of TDG, who speaks with TT on a regular basis.

Old
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
LV Hab

Curious to hear what you guys think of the possibility of drafting Zack Dalpe. A right handed forward, something I think the Habs are really missing in the organization. After reading this article he really seems like a TT kind of prospect, good work ethic and good head on his shoulders.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Dalpe seems to have taken a while to develop physically, but he's 6'1 and might still grow a bit. Any one know what kind of player he is and when he might be drafted?

Old
05-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

So Soldat you think that Deschamps is Timmins' first choice?

Old
05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
So Soldat you think that Deschamps is Timmins' first choice?
Deschamps had a great U-18 tourney.
That being said,he'll rise comming the draft day.
Scouts like well-rounded players like Deschamps.
He got a good frame to add muscle.
If Deschamps is still available at 25th (let's say we don't move up or down) , i'm pretty sure he'll pick Nicholas.

If he's not on the board at 25th, TT might trade down or take Joshua Bailey or Corey Trivino.

I notice the bandwagons on euro prospects such as Anton Gustafsson, Evgeni Grachev . Mathias Tedenby and Petrov.
Do not expect the habs pick these guys.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...5#post13530355

Old
05-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Listen, I doubt that 1 inch will make a huge difference in the case of Richards and Plek as they Both play small, but for Koivu and Briere, it's totally different since Koivu plays big while Briere(5'9") doesn't . Now, you are right about Carter and Smoke, but we have guys like Chipchura (6'2"), Maxwell (6'1") and Lapierre (6'2") coming up. So, it might not be a strength, but our size down the middle isn't our weakness either.

That being said, I really do want Colborne, to finally have somebody will to go in front of the net and screen/get garbage goals.

About the 'speculation' , he is taking his info mostly of TDG, who speaks with TT on a regular basis.
Whoa!!!! Mike Richards plays small??? Do you not have access to a television? Richards is an absolute warrior!! He's tougher than nails.

Old
05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Whoa!!!! Mike Richards plays small??? Do you not have access to a television? Richards is an absolute warrior!! He's tougher than nails.
Do you know what playing small mean?

Anyway, Richards is a warrior yes, but he does not play like a 6'1-6'2 player.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
GNick42

I've always been against taking goalies in the first round. I figure why give up your top picks when you can trade a 2nd for a Biron or Huet type who is NHL immediately? That being said I still feel there is a good chance Timmins will take Pickard come draft day

Old
05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I've always been against taking goalies in the first round. I figure why give up your top picks when you can trade a 2nd for a Biron or Huet type who is NHL immediately? That being said I still feel there is a good chance Timmins will take Pickard come draft day
I don't think he will. I'd much rather a Mayer or Poulin in the 3rd/4th round than to blow our 1st on Pickard. Mayer shown some potential to me (I know Whitesnake doesn't like me) and while Poulin is terribly inconsistent, if he can get consistent, there's no doubt he can be a great goalie in the league.

Old
05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't think he will. I'd much rather a Mayer or Poulin in the 3rd/4th round than to blow our 1st on Pickard. Mayer shown some potential to me (I know Whitesnake doesn't like me) and while Poulin is terribly inconsistent, if he can get consistent, there's no doubt he can be a great goalie in the league.
Our first round picks should be focused on skilled guys alone...basically forward this year anyway. Dead against taking goalies high in the draft...too much hit and miss for me.

Old
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
FTowwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Once again, what the hell do we need Pickard for? 2 goalies chosen with 2 of our first round picks in the past 2 years??!! keep dreaming, i will muck my own barn if we take Pickard in the first round. I think your so unblievably off on this prediction, stop posting it. Please.

Old
05-06-2008, 09:20 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTowwn View Post
Once again, what the hell do we need Pickard for? 2 goalies chosen with 2 of our first round picks in the past 2 years??!! keep dreaming, i will muck my own barn if we take Pickard in the first round. I think your so unblievably off on this prediction, stop posting it. Please.
I wouldnt be surprised at all either.

Old
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Hmmm, I have no inside information but IMO there are two types of players that are really difficult to find if you don't draft them:

1. Pure goal scorers
2. Power forward type players that can skate (particularly centers)

I appreciate the idea of drafting well rounded players, but other than "le frere" Andrei and Patches, we don't have many of 1 or 2 in our system. If I had my choice, I would not necessarily be in favor of drafting a player like Greg Nemisz (who reportedly has skating issues) but as it stands right now, my number one horse is Joe Colbourne in the first round. Along the same lines, I would not mind drafting Jordan Eberle if he fell to us in the second round.

Just my thought, but I'll be happy with whomever Timmins decides to pick.

Old
05-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
when do tickets go on sale for the 2008 NHL draft?

Old
05-07-2008, 01:06 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTowwn View Post
Not only Pickard but any goalie in the first round. He was just an example. Timmins has shown before to go for a goalie first round and he spoke of adding a goalie in this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
Hmmm, I have no inside information but IMO there are two types of players that are really difficult to find if you don't draft them:

1. Pure goal scorers
2. Power forward type players that can skate (particularly centers)
For sure, top starting goalies are cheap to acquire in the trade market but 30-40 goal scorers, or a #1 center...virtually impossible to acquire

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-07-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old
05-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Duff88

I usually post a draft list with reports and stats around that time of the year, but I don't think I'll have time to fine-tune my stuff enough until draft day, so I'm simply going to post my top 30 with honorable mentions here. If I ever have time, I'll try to post it with more details. Comments and questions are welcome:

1. Steven Stamkos - C - R - 6'0/185 - Sarnia (OHL)
2. Nikita Filatov - LW - R - 6'0/165 - CSKA (RUS)
3. Drew Doughty - D - R - 6'0/215 - Guelph (OHL)
4. Zach Bogosian - D - R - 6'2/200 - Peterborough (OHL)
5. Luke Schenn - D - R - 6'2/210 - Kelowna (WHL)
6. Mikkel Boedker - RW - L - 5'11/200 - Kitchener (OHL)
7. Alex Pietrangelo - D - R - 6'3/210 - Niagara (OHL)
8. Colin Wilson - C - L - 6'1/215 - Boston University (H-EAST)
9. Cody Hodgson - C - R - 6'0/185 - Brampton (OHL)
10. John Carlson - D - R - 6'2/210 - Indiana (USHL) - Commited to the University of Massachusetts
11. Zach Boychuk - C - L - 5'9/175 - Lethbridge (WHL)
12. Aaron Ness - D - L - 5'9/155 - Roseau High (MSHSL) - Commited to the University of Minnesota
13. Corey Trivino - C - L - 6'1/170 - Stouffville (OPJRA) - Commited to Boston University
14. Mattias Tedenby - LW - L - 5'10/175 - HV71 (SWE)
15. Michael del Zotto - D - L - 6'0/210 - Oshawa (OHL)
16. Jake Gardiner - D - L - 6'2/175 - Minnetonka (MSHSL) - Commited to the University of Wisconsin
17. Jordan Eberle - C - R - 5'11/170 - Regina (WHL)
18. Anton Gustafsson - C - L - 6'2/195 - Frolunda (SWE)
19. Josh Bailey - C - L - 6'0/190 - Windsor (OHL)
20. Colby Robak - D - L - 6'3/200 - Brandon (WHL)
21. Tyler Cuma - D - L - 6'2/185 - Ottawa (OHL)
22. James Livingston - RW - R - 6'1/200 - Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
23. Nicolas Deschamps - LW - L - 6'0/175 - Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
24. Jacob Markström - G - L - 6'3/175 - Brynas (SWE)
25. Colten Teubert - D - R - 6'3/190 - Regina (WHL)
26. Joe Colborne - C - L - 6'5/190 - Camrose (AJHL) - Commited to the University of Denver
27. Tyler Myers - D - R - 6'3/190 - Kelowna (WHL)
28. Maxime Sauvé - C - L - 6'0/175 - Val d'Or (QMJHL)
29. Shawn Lalonde - D - R - 6'1/175 - Belleville (OHL)
30. Chet Pickard - G - L - 6'2/20 - Tri-City (WHL)

H.M. - Luke Adam, Kyle Beach, Brandon Burlon, Zac Dalpe, Tyler Ennis, Evgeny Grachev, Danny Kristo, Jyri Niemi, Harri Sateri, Luca Sbisa, Mikhail Stefanovich, Taylor Stefishen, Michael Stone, David Toews, Mitch Wahl, David Warsofsky, James Wright

As I said, I usually post those list with reports in a excel file. I had started compiling notes into those reports back at the start of the CHL playoffs, but I have only 22 guys with complete reports and stats done right now. I was aiming on releasing the file as a top 50, but since I'm not halfway done and I'd still have to edit the stats to include the playoffs and World U18 stats, I'm not sure when I'll be done.

I'm ready to get killed for some of my opinions. I for one will admit I would have a hard time risking a pick on Kyle Beach and Tyler Myers, but I still included them in the lists.

Last edited by Duff88: 05-07-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Closed Thread