HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTowwn View Post
Once again, what the hell do we need Pickard for? 2 goalies chosen with 2 of our first round picks in the past 2 years??!! keep dreaming, i will muck my own barn if we take Pickard in the first round. I think your so unblievably off on this prediction, stop posting it. Please.
2 years.... last year we took mcdonaugh.... the year before fischer..... Price was 2005.

So that would be 2 goalies in 4 drafts.... not two in 2 years as you suggest.

Also a goalie picked would not be ready for four years.... If you expect both Price and Halak to be here in 4 years you are dreaming. We have no NHL prospect in our system right now. Desjardins is no sure thing, and there is no guarantee that Danis signs with us again.... Also I think Danis has regressed these last two years.

A goalie will be picked in the first 4 rounds by Montreal.

Old
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
We have no NHL prospect in our system right now.
Can't believe you've forgotten Loic Lacasse...and you say that you're a real Habs fan....

I think I'll threw a party the day his contract ends with us....1 more year....1 more year...

Old
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Duff88

Quote:
2 years.... last year we took mcdonaugh.... the year before fischer..... Price was 2005.

So that would be 2 goalies in 4 drafts.... not two in 2 years as you suggest.

Also a goalie picked would not be ready for four years.... If you expect both Price and Halak to be here in 4 years you are dreaming. We have no NHL prospect in our system right now. Desjardins is no sure thing, and there is no guarantee that Danis signs with us again.... Also I think Danis has regressed these last two years.

A goalie will be picked in the first 4 rounds by Montreal.
I'm all for picking a goalie in the first 4 rounds, but I don't think we should pick that goalie in the first round. At the moment, I consider spending a first round pick on a goaltender, unless you are certain of picking a blue-chip prospect, is wasting a chance to gain a valuable asset.

The market for goaltender is already oversaturated. You see goaltenders like Ilya Bryzgalov on waivers and Cristobal Huet being traded for a second round pick. If we really are in need for a backup goaltender, we can trade or sign one.

That said, I do think we should draft a goaltender a bit later in the draft to add depth at that position in the system. I don't think it would be a waste to get one or two of guys like Jake Allen, Jacob DeSerres, Christopher Carrozzi, Robert Mayer, Kevin Poulin, Tyler Beskorowany or Jason Missiaien in the later rounds.

Old
05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
That said, I do think we should draft a goaltender a bit later in the draft to add depth at that position in the system. I don't think it would be a waste to get one or two of guys like Jake Allen, Jacob DeSerres, Christopher Carrozzi, Robert Mayer, Kevin Poulin, Tyler Beskorowany or Jason Missiaien in the later rounds.
Totally agree. Like the names you mentioned like Allen, DeSerres, Carrozzi or Beskorowany....not a Mayer fan like WTK could tell you.... Don't know much about Missiaien though. Holtby seems like a fine prospect. Anyway, I'm not finished as far as analyzing the goalies out there so I'll come back later.

As far as later in the draft, I totally agree. 3rd or 4th pick might be ideal, especially the 4th.

Old
05-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
I'm all for picking a goalie in the first 4 rounds, but I don't think we should pick that goalie in the first round. At the moment, I consider spending a first round pick on a goaltender, unless you are certain of picking a blue-chip prospect, is wasting a chance to gain a valuable asset.

The market for goaltender is already oversaturated. You see goaltenders like Ilya Bryzgalov on waivers and Cristobal Huet being traded for a second round pick. If we really are in need for a backup goaltender, we can trade or sign one.

I don't think it needs to be the first round.... and I don't think it should be our first choice in the first round... but we do pick 25th.... If none of the skaters we like is there and Pickard is the BPA then picking a goalie is not out of the question.

Old
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
I don't think it needs to be the first round.... and I don't think it should be our first choice in the first round... but we do pick 25th.... If none of the skaters we like is there and Pickard is the BPA then picking a goalie is not out of the question.
Would you be scared to send a wrong message to Price or even Halak? With all that happened recently, the last thing we would need to do would be to add more questionning to his head.

I'm sure Timmins will find us a nice foward.

Old
05-07-2008, 07:05 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
Would you be scared to send a wrong message to Price or even Halak? With all that happened recently, the last thing we would need to do would be to add more questionning to his head.

More questioning? Once again whoever we draft this year wont be ready for at least 4 years. And, sending the wrong messages? Maybe we are sending the good one, perform or else. We are not a charity, if theres competition to play at every position its the best for us.

Old
05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

I think if you explain to Price your reasoning, it would clear things up.

Old
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Totally agree, if you look at Canuck71 mock draft I was in such situation and I took Pickard, but I feel like at 25th(sooner than expected) we will be able to have one big forward fall to us.

Old
05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
when do tickets go on sale for the 2008 NHL draft?
May 19th for the general public. They will be general admission tics for the upper bowl.

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?se...LPage&id=21955

Old
05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
More questioning? Once again whoever we draft this year wont be ready for at least 4 years. And, sending the wrong messages? Maybe we are sending the good one, perform or else. We are not a charity, if theres competition to play at every position its the best for us.
Don't get me wrong, I would'nt be against it. It would be kinda weird I guess but BPA is BPA. If Pickard truely is that guy then fine, but I expect and hope we can get a good foward or defenceman instead.

BTW I ckeck the mock draft you were in, Deschamp was still available!

Old
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I would'nt be against it. It would be kinda weird I guess but BPA is BPA. If Pickard truely is that guy then fine, but I expect and hope we can get a good foward or defenceman instead.

BTW I ckeck the mock draft you were in, Deschamp was still available!
He was, but to me, Pickard is a top 20 talent, Deschamps is close but not quite there. Plus my plan was to trade up to grab him also, but it didnt happen, I'm not going to give a 3rd and 4th to move up 20 spots.

Old
05-07-2008, 11:30 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can't believe you've forgotten Loic Lacasse...and you say that you're a real Habs fan....

I think I'll threw a party the day his contract ends with us....1 more year....1 more year...
I wonder if he will play in a league that we have even heard of next season, like the ECHL. Oooh, what progression.

One more year 'til that roster spot can be put to better use.

Old
05-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
if he is the bpa I'd rather trade the pick.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Fozz

If they do draft a goalie this year (which, by the way, I don't see as a necessity at all), I hope they wait until the last 2 rounds. I know that I wouldn't draft Pickard in the first round. I don't even think he's the best goalie in this draft. I have a feeling that Poulin will drop and could be picked up as far as the 6th round. I'm not saying he's better than Pickard but I think he does have interesting upside and that he's not as far off as some seem to think.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:40 AM
giovanni

I think we are going to draft a goalie in the last round. Unless Jake Allen is there in the fourth for us, which i do not think so. We have A need for forwards and i think we will draft a lot of forwards during the draft. I would not be upset if the first four rounds go like this.

1) Joe Colborne or Corey Trivino
2) Corey Trivino or Zac Dalpe
3) Zac Daple or Justin Jokinen
4) Justin Jokinen or Jake Allen.

I am sure that one of these guys will get drafted by the habs, hopefully. I heard good things about the Justin Jokinen. He is 6-3 and 180, and he is able to play an offisive game and as well as a physcial game along the borads. I heard that he may be another Chris Higgins type of player with better scoring upside.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I reserve the right to be stupid......I know, won't be tough....but I want the Habs to pick either Luke Adam or Jake Allen or even both. 'Cause for the only stupid reason that they'll be playing in Verdun this upcoming year. Though not for the only reason 'cause despite his skating I'm really really high on Adam as a 3rd rounder. And Allen as well though with his U-18, he surely will go sooner.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:53 AM
giovanni

Quote:
I reserve the right to be stupid......I know, won't be tough....but I want the Habs to pick either Luke Adam or Jake Allen or even both. 'Cause for the only stupid reason that they'll be playing in Verdun this upcoming year. Though not for the only reason 'cause despite his skating I'm really really high on Adam as a 3rd rounder. And Allen as well though with his U-18, he surely will go sooner.
What kind of player is Luke Adam? He might can drafted bt the habs in the fourth. But if he is there in the fifth, i am sure the habs could trade for the pick and draft him.

Old
05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni View Post
What kind of player is Luke Adam? He might can drafted bt the habs in the fourth. But if he is there in the fifth, i am sure the habs could trade for the pick and draft him.
Actually, while nobody seems to talk about him that much, that's a player that I just like 'cause I find that he ended up his year playing a way more mature game that he was playing at the beginning of the year. Centerman with fine size, has a great knack for scoring and that will always be his strength. But is a good passer, doesn't fear the physical contact etc...Great hockey sense that again improved throughout the year. And the kid just loves driving the net, being around it and is always at the right position at the right time as you'll see in the videos.

Biggest knock is his skating 'cause if he'd be good at it, he'd be definately a top 30 pick in my mind. But I really thought that he had improve that part of his game as well.

I would definately consider him as soon as a 2nd round pick as much as nobody agrees with me but hey what can I do....Every year there seems that there are players I like and hate while everybody else don't agree with me and it's quite fine like that. But the biggest thing for me is that he improved throughout the season.

Nothing spectacular but here some videos of some goals he scored at the beginning of the year. #19 for the black, for the white on the last video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nHs7X6cW1e8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-HkqtzrsINA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oajBLIE2koE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tgJ3G_S7x6s

Old
05-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Actually, while nobody seems to talk about him that much, that's a player that I just like 'cause I find that he ended up his year playing a way more mature game that he was playing at the beginning of the year. Centerman with fine size, has a great knack for scoring and that will always be his strength. But is a good passer, doesn't fear the physical contact etc...Great hockey sense that again improved throughout the year. And the kid just loves driving the net, being around it and is always at the right position at the right time as you'll see in the videos.

Biggest knock is his skating 'cause if he'd be good at it, he'd be definately a top 30 pick in my mind. But I really thought that he had improve that part of his game as well.

I would definately consider him as soon as a 2nd round pick as much as nobody agrees with me but hey what can I do....Every year there seems that there are players I like and hate while everybody else don't agree with me and it's quite fine like that. But the biggest thing for me is that he improved throughout the season.

Nothing spectacular but here some videos of some goals he scored at the beginning of the year. #19 for the black, for the white on the last video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nHs7X6cW1e8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-HkqtzrsINA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oajBLIE2koE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tgJ3G_S7x6s
Glad to see someone else talking Luke Adam up! I have been the only other one throughout this season, it is like talking to a wall.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem in the world if the Rangers took him at 20th overall. He's going to be a player. He's right up there with Deschamps for me.

He has many pro qualities and even if he's not an impressive skater, I think he has the mind for the game, which makes skating a little less important.

Definitely a guy who will give a team a great return.

Old
05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Habitants

wow tickets are free?? will the be free in 09 in MTL??

Old
05-08-2008, 11:17 AM
WestIslander

I want Kyle Beach

I want Kyle Beach!

I have been reading up on him and he is rated 7th overall (among North American skaters) and he is a center. Below are the reasons he would be the perfect player in Montreal considering that we lack everything mentioned in the paragraph.

The 17-year-old center with the Western Hockey League’s Everett Silvertips plays the game hard. He goes into the danger zones on the ice with the reckless abandon of a kid playing with a toy tractor in a pile of dirt. He hits. He fights. He scores. Sometimes all in the same shift.

Do you think that Gainey could land Kyle Beach at #25 (draft) if not, do you think he will trade up to get him?

Old
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
SpreeEndaz

Before all the Stamkos hype, wasn't Beach rumored to go number 1 for a while ? #25 would be worse than doing an Esposito.

Old
05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Mtl6

It's called ''2008 Draft Talk'' ...

Old
05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
No thanks unless he falls to 25. Concussion problems and attitude concerns = two big red flags.

Closed Thread