HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

R.J.Umberger ?

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 07:16 PM
zetta20

vCash: 500
R.J.Umberger ?

if the all knowing brian burke lets r.j.umberger walk does he become an unrestricted free agent or does he go back into the 2004 draft?if he is a ufa Detroit should sign him to a contract as we need a big center in our system.he would be like getting a first rounder for nothing as the canucks would only get a compensatory pick from the league.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:17 PM
incawg

He'll be UFA and the Canucks will get a 2nd round pick from the league as compensation.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I still think this is an idiotic move by Burke. Good luck getting a player like Umberger (1st or 2nd line potential) back with that 2nd round pick Brian.

The perpetual influx of grinders and 3rd line players will inevitably continue when it comes to Canuck drafting.

Old
02-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
He'll be UFA and the Canucks will get a 2nd round pick from the league as compensation.

this may be a dumb question. But what if after he becomes a UFA and the Nucks get their 2nd round pick as compensation. Can they (the Nucks) still sign him?

Old
02-02-2004, 07:35 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
this may be a dumb question. But what if after he becomes a UFA and the Nucks get their 2nd round pick as compensation. Can they (the Nucks) still sign him?
yup

Old
02-02-2004, 09:44 PM
fullmetalninja

The hawks resigned Adam Munro, who they let walk last season- so yes it can definately be done.

But if $$$$ are the issue to not signing him now- why won't they be an issue in 4 months when the price will most definately go up(see Kiel McLeod). I hope the hawks are all over this one as well. But I'm guessing the teams that usually step to the plate in these kind of things(St Louis, Col) will be the front runners.

-fullmetalninja

Old
02-02-2004, 10:01 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
I thought you only get the compensation if he signs with another team, like a normal UFA.

Old
02-02-2004, 10:03 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
I still think this is an idiotic move by Burke. Good luck getting a player like Umberger (1st or 2nd line potential) back with that 2nd round pick Brian.

The perpetual influx of grinders and 3rd line players will inevitably continue when it comes to Canuck drafting.
Burke has a point though. Umberger is overvaluing himself, thinking he's worth almost $1 M per, which he's not. He needs more development and certainly isn't NHL ready. He saw Kesler getting something like $700K and wanted more than that. Of course, Burke is not going to give into the demands of a guy who's not even in the NHL. Do that, and you'll always be overpaying your 1st rounders. This is why Burke is perfectly content with letting Umberger walk. If some other team wants to overpay this guy, let them. They're not exactly getting Nathan Horton.

Old
02-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
I thought you only get the compensation if he signs with another team, like a normal UFA.
Nope. You get a 2nd rounder as compensation for the loss of a former 1st rounder. They will get the 16th pick in the 2nd round. See Adam Munro last year (although he is different because he was not worth signing)

Old
02-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
He can, but there's no way in hell it will happen.

Burke and Umberger will likely never talk again.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:46 AM
evman150*

Bust.

2nd rounder is WAY more than Burke would ever get in a trade. He's doing the right thing.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:55 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
id love for detroit to give him a shot. Umberger was in michigan for a few months staying with a family that lines near me. I go2 school with the kid who he stayed with. I saw umberger once and he practiced daily with the local HS team, good guy. Love to see him in detroit!

Old
02-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I think it's more likely that he'll end up in Pittsburgh(born & raised) or Columbus(played college hockey at Ohio State). Not to mention the playing time increase.

Calling him a bust because he didn't sign a contract is a bit much, Burke offered what he thought was fair and never budged, Umberger thought of it as a slap to the face.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:29 AM
Reign Nateo

Umberger is actually a very underrated prospect IMO. Good size, skill, and made his team competitive in college virtually single handedly. Inconsistancy is his biggest problem.

Old
02-03-2004, 05:10 AM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Bust.

2nd rounder is WAY more than Burke would ever get in a trade. He's doing the right thing.
Excuse me, where's your crystal ball? You know for sure that Umberger will be a bust, huh? Do you know what ticket I should buy to win the lottery? If so, PM me.

And to add my two cents, I'm not convinced that Burke would not package Umberger in a deal to get a player who could ideally help us in our playoff run. Umberger is just sitting around doing nothing, so we might as well get an asset that will contribute and do something for us. A compensatory 2nd round pick won't necessarily do squat for us, and even if it did, it wouldn't be for a few years.

Either that or sign the guy. Our system is rather bare of guys like Umberger, IMO. We could use MORE Umbergers, but the situation looks bleak. I doubt we'll sign him. The only real option is to move him for something, IMO.

Old
02-03-2004, 06:22 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Bust.

I don't know about that...

my guess is that half the teams in the league - AT LEAST - would give up a 2nd round pick for Umberger.

it'd be almost stupid not to for some teams.

Old
02-03-2004, 06:41 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Nope. You get a 2nd rounder as compensation for the loss of a former 1st rounder. They will get the 16th pick in the 2nd round. See Adam Munro last year (although he is different because he was not worth signing)
Yes , but would that be considered losing him?

Old
02-03-2004, 07:55 AM
evman150*

Umberger was a terrible pick at the time and he has done nothing to disprove that notion in the past three years. Canuck fans must drool over the players they could have had. Guys like Jeff Woywitka, Alexander Perezhogin, Lukas Krajicek, Carlo Colaiacovo, Igor Grigorenko et al. Brutal pick.

Old
02-03-2004, 08:05 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Umberger was a terrible pick at the time and he has done nothing to disprove that notion in the past three years. Canuck fans must drool over the players they could have had. Guys like Jeff Woywitka, Alexander Perezhogin, Lukas Krajicek, Carlo Colaiacovo, Igor Grigorenko et al. Brutal pick.
I'm not arguing whether he was a good pick or not...

almost half the teams in the league would still give up a 2nd round pick for him.

as far as him being a "terrible pick at the time" ... wasn't he rated higher in the CSB rankings than were he was drafted?

and in the past 3 years... didn't he improve his point totals every year, finishing in Hobey voting this past year?

Old
02-03-2004, 11:34 AM
messy_eh

My guess is Umberger could be an interesting trading chip for a higher level UFA. a guy like bondra for example. The canucks might send umberger and maybe King to Washington for Bondra (or chicago for Zhamnov) the team getting Umberger is guaranteed a 2nd rounder at worst in 2004 draft if Bondra were to resign somewhere else the caps would get a 2nd-6th rounder in 2005 depending on how much he signs for. So I think Umberger will be a very valuable trading chip as the trade deadline approaches.

Old
02-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Other Dave

He's still not worth a mil. Good call by Burke that will help him sign his other players.

Other Dave

Old
02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I'm not sure why you say that. He's had an excellent career at the college level, and has the size and skill to be a top line player at the NHL level. Seems in line for the expectations of a mid 1st round draft pick. He has as much upside, if not more than the guys you mention.

Old
02-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
In situations like this, it's easy to determine the value of a player based simply upon where you would be comfortable with your team drafting him if he were to re-enter the draft. I can honestly say that I would be comfortable with Carolina taking him in the 2nd round if he went back in, thus, he's worth a 2nd Rounder as far as i'm concerned. Some teams would probably even take a shot at him late in the first round. I think his value lies somewhere in between an early 2nd and a late 1st rounder.

2001 was a fairly deep draft and Umberger was taken in the first half of the first round. He obviously has talent. His attitude may be an issue, but i'd certainly gamble a 2nd rounder on that. Especially since Carolina has two this year.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
LaVal

Quote:
you mean like be the runner up for the Hobey Baker award to Peter Sejna?

you just listed 6 players with less than 10 games experience combined. how do you know who will pan out to what?

one of them (Grigorenko), was almost a 3rd round pick. well you'll have to excuse Burke's terrible pick because he didn't take Petr Cajanek in the 1st round, and let the Blue's snag him up in the 8th round. it's pretty easy to say who he should have taken in hindsight.

and calling him a bust? that's pathetic. he hasn't even attended a training camp yet.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:25 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever

2001 was a fairly deep draft and Umberger was taken in the first half of the first round. He obviously has talent. His attitude may be an issue, but i'd certainly gamble a 2nd rounder on that. Especially since Carolina has two this year.
it's an even easier gamble when you consider that worst case, you just lose a few spots in the draft and retain the 16th pick in the 2nd round - if you can't sign him...

that's not a huge gamble.

I would trade him for a higher pick in the 2nd round... but I doubt it's something Burke would do... i don't see him dealing him at all... but hope if there is a good deal out there, and it takes Umberger as part of the pkg, he doesn't continue being so stubborn.

Closed Thread