HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rest star players for the playoffs?

Old
03-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Yanic

vCash: 500
Rest star players for the playoffs?

Multi-part question/discussion topics:

1) As the season winds down and the Habs (*knock on wood*) approach the playoffs, do you think it's a good idea to give any players some time off in order to rest/avoid injury/recover from injuries?
2) Who would you rest*?
3) At what point do you rest them (e.g. playoff spot clinched, home ice clinched)?
4) Would you sit them for full games or just lower ice time or let them sit late in the game that's more or less over?
5) Do you think Carbo is likely to do this?

There are two more games left against Boston (who always seem to goon it up) and two of the last 4 games (including the very last game) are against the Leafs.

*I mean cause you want them in good shape for the playoffs, not cause you simply want them out of the lineup.

Yanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Habs

I don't think we can afford to sit anyone till we have actually made the playoffs.

There isn't a guarantee we made it yet.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:43 PM
The n00b King *

I'd like to go into the playoffs with a lot of momentum, so probably not.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
MM425

Until the divison is clinced, the thought of sitting players shouldn't even enter Carbo's mind.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Freaky Habs Fan

And we should battle for the first place until the last game, so I don't think we will rest anyone...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rayne*

Why bother? There's usually 3-4 days in between the regular season and the playoffs.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
its dumb to do so.
you want to go into the playoffs with momentum and with all your guys on the same page.
benching guys is not the way to get that done.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Yanic

I'm not necessarily suggesting we take players completely out of games (especially not at this point), but as waffeldave pointed out, Kovalev should not have been on the ice towards the end of the game last night when he got punched by Jovanovski.

Thanks.

Yanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I think Komisarek can use a break. He looks a little run down and he plays a highly physical game. He needs some rest. Once we hopefully clinch, he should get a few games off.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Stradale

No way, we are at a 5-6 games slump to be kick out of the playoff. Theres no resting until the last week or minutes of the season.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:06 AM
carbomustgo07

I really don't think there is a need to rest our star players at all. The previously mentioned reasons of the need to come into the playoffs with momentum, and that the race is so tight that a spot isn't guaranteed are only a few that show that we shouldn't. If Carbo does so, he is only giving us less rythm and momentum coming into the playoffs. He would give people more reasons to fire him. Anyways, even if we clinch a spot, we still have to have our stars in for those last Leaf games, just to stomp on that joke of a team, and eliminate their chances of making the playoffs.

carbomustgo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Look, think of it this way: if our star players are tired at this time of the season... so are theirs. And they are not resting them at all so why should we?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:11 AM
x-bob

There is only one player that we have to rest and thats Koivu. He should take a game or two off before the playoffs to get some rest so he can be at the top of his game for the playoffs.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:11 AM
NewHabsEra*

Carbo is rolling 4 lines since the begin of the season, so there is no reason these guys arent ready to compete for the division title in the last stretch of the season..

Also, if we end first in our division, chances are high we face Boston or Philadelphia in the first round, so we increase seriously our chances to play a second round..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
There is only one player that we have to rest and thats Koivu. He should take a game or two off before the playoffs to get some rest so he can be at the top of his game for the playoffs.
I dont want to bash him but he needs a month or two of off time...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Megaforce

We've already been resting Brisebois for quite a while.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I dont want to bash him but he needs a month or two of off time...
Koivu has been on a roll recently, he got 11 points in his last 11 games. I think he's finally showing signs of returning to his former self, and thats without playing that many minutes recently. I think his current streak is great for the team and it would be nice to see him get into the playoffs with momentum and confidence. A productive Koivu also gets some pressure off Plekanec and Kovalev, who are our real stars anyways. So lets give Koivu his share of time on the ice, around 17-18 mins seems alright for him.

And to be honest, its not like we overplay our best players. Kovalev is 155th for all skaters in playing time per game (48th amongst forwards, yet 14th in point playing on the first line and in both special units almost all the time). Markov's average play time is quite high, but it seems to vary a lot from game to game, I guess might rest him some games.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Rest Smolinski until the playoffs.

Heck, let him rest the playoffs too

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Mr. Hab

WHEN WE GET A LEAD DURING GAMES, LET KOSTO, BEGIN, LAPIERRE (TOUGHER PLAYERS) PLAY MORE OFTEN, THIS WAY THEY WON'T GOON IT UP ON OUR KOVY, KOIVU, PLEKS, A + S KOSTS, HIGGS, ETC...

Or when we have a huge lead, play Smolinski, more often (to rest our good players!).
This way they might goon it up on Smoke instead of Kovalev!
Smoke can finally be useful (like kamikaze bait!).

I hate what Phoenix did when they were losing (trying to injure our players).
I hope they don't make the playoffs for a long time for being such childish, sore losers (Jovo, Doan, Ballard....).

Sorry for Capital letters, "Caps Lock" was on by mistake!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-08-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 11:22 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Or when we have a huge lead, play Smolinski, more often (to rest our good players!).
This way they might goon it up on Smoke instead of Kovalev!
Smoke can finally be useful (like kamikaze bait!).
@ Smokes as kamikaze bait. Great idea.

I think in the last week or two weeks of the regular season we should start giving certain guys a few extra therapy days where they don't practice. Komisarek looks to be at the point where he could use that, maybe a couple of the older guys (Kovy, Saku) and anyone else who looks to be rundown or is maybe nursing an undisclosed injury. I'd be all for reducing ice time for Komi, Markov, Kovy, etc. late in games if we lead by 2+. And Kostopolous should be dressed in any game where there's reason to expect goonery; if someone starts taking shots at Kovy, Pleky, et al., I want someone other than Komi to be able to fight if necessary. (I don't want to see Komi fighting anymore at this point). I don't like the idea of sitting starters out entirely unless there's someone with a specific injury that would benefit from a night or two off.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Lone Rogue

1) As the season winds down and the Habs (*knock on wood*) approach the playoffs, do you think it's a good idea to give any players some time off in order to rest/avoid injury/recover from injuries?
Answer: No, because we are still knocking on wood. Not only that, but who we play is very important. If we rest some players and take it easy, we risk falling out of the top of the Northeast and might end up playing a Pittsburgh, New York or New Jersey, which could be an extremely tough series to win. If we win the Division, we're battling the Bruins, Flyers and maybe the Sabres (maybe Ottawa if they continue to fall). I'd rather win the Division based on those choices.

2) Who would you rest*?
Answer: If I did rest anyone, it would be Koivu or Latendresse (in other words, sit him out for a few). We could play with the lines a bit that way, see who has good chemistry. Would be neat to see Grabovski center Higgins and Sergei.

3) At what point do you rest them (e.g. playoff spot clinched, home ice clinched)?
Answer: Bruins games and Sabres games.

4) Would you sit them for full games or just lower ice time or let them sit late in the game that's more or less over?
Answer: In the Sabres games, just cut their time. In the Bruins games, day off.

5) Do you think Carbo is likely to do this?
Answer: No. Team chemistry is an important thing and the more you play it, the more it develops. Once we figure out 4 secure lines to play in the Playoffs, we should likely go with it, and only use the benched players as injury replacements.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 11:36 AM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Rest Smolinski until the playoffs.

Heck, let him rest the playoffs too
YES!!!11

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Lucius

I am all for resting key players, especially goalies, if you cannot move up or down the standings, but there is no way it should even be considered if it could be the difference between #1 and #2 in the NE. I mean, that might end up being the difference between #1 in the East and #5, which is home ice advantage all the way through the East playoffs vs. no home ice advantage at all. That's huge. That's also big on the bottom line.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Probably the last game, or two we (should) be in the playoffs for sure, and if it's an easy team, we might.

If we need the points to hold onto first in the conference, or league, then no one will probably rest.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post

@ Smokes as "kamikaze bait". Great idea.

I think in the last week or two weeks of the regular season we should start giving certain guys a few extra therapy days where they don't practice. Komisarek looks to be at the point where he could use that, maybe a couple of the older guys (Kovy, Saku) and anyone else who looks to be rundown or is maybe nursing an undisclosed injury. I'd be all for reducing ice time for Komi, Markov, Kovy, etc. late in games if we lead by 2+. And Kostopolous should be dressed in any game where there's reason to expect goonery; if someone starts taking shots at Kovy, Pleky, et al., I want someone other than Komi to be able to fight if necessary. (I don't want to see Komi fighting anymore at this point). I don't like the idea of sitting starters out entirely unless there's someone with a specific injury that would benefit from a night or two off.
Glad you liked that idea!!!!

I mean...c'mon!! Make Smokes useful: when we're leading by 2, send Smokes out there, ESPECIALLY when the opposing team decides to goon it up to try to injure our "star" players 'cause they can't win...

Smokes will start wondering "why is Carbo only using me when the goons are on ice...!!"

And, I totally agree with most of the above that you mentioned (somehow...if we can save our best players without diminishing their ice-time too much, that would be great, that's what I would be going for...).
Every PP, of course put our star players out there, but if/when we have a good lead & THEY start putting their goons on the ice (you know what they're up to...) DON'T put Koivu/Kovalev/Pleks/A & S Kost/Higgs/Markov out there...THEY always want to injure our star players out of frustration/jealousy/anger...

And any player nursing an injury should get some rest (if possible, somehow...if it can be done without too much "special STAR treatment" attention...).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-09-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote