HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Any offers? Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith.

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 03:48 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Any offers? Ryan Smyth and Jason Smith.

What would be offered up for these two players? If you want to swap Staois for Smith, that would be fine too.

Anyone looking for a 1st/2nd line LW with heart capable of 55-65 points and a 2-4th D-man who specializes in blocked shots and big hits while still being a very nice +14 with 13 points so far this year.

The Oilers would likely be looking for replacement offense for Smyth preferably a young talented center.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Takeo

What do you want from Buffalo for Jason Smith?

Old
02-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Fantasywonder

From Long Island:

Trent Hunter, Janne Niinimaa and Garth Snow for Jason Smith, Ryan Smyth and Tommie Salo.

From Big D:

Niko Kapanen, John Erskine, 1st round pick (prolly between 15 and 20) for Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:22 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
What do you want from Buffalo for Jason Smith?
LOL, how bout Miller?

Old
02-01-2004, 04:28 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasywonder
From Long Island:

Trent Hunter, Janne Niinimaa and Garth Snow for Jason Smith, Ryan Smyth and Tommie Salo.

From Big D:

Niko Kapanen, John Erskine, 1st round pick (prolly between 15 and 20) for Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth.
I don't see Edmonton and Dallas trading anytime soon, and if they did, Likely we would be asking for Morrow + back.

The Islanders trade is interesting if you drop salo and snow. But I am biast cause I love Niins...

Old
02-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I don't see Edmonton and Dallas trading anytime soon, and if they did, Likely we would be asking for Morrow + back.

The Islanders trade is interesting if you drop salo and snow. But I am biast cause I love Niins...
Morrow for Smyth is a wash, it ruins the sense of the deal for Dallas. This way the Oilers get a great young 3rd line two way center who, ironicly, has been compared to Todd Marchant. While also getting an utterly tough young stay at homer in Erskine. The first has quite some value I'd say.

Niinimaa, untill last night, has been a pretty big dissapointment. I think Smith is an improvement so that trade would improve our D as well as our forwards. The goalie swap is just to increase the security factor, as I don't quite trust Snow.

Last edited by Fantasywonder: 02-01-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old
02-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Morrow for Smyth is a wash, it ruins the sense of the deal for Dallas. This way the Oilers get a great young 3rd line two way center who, ironicly, has been compared to Todd Marchant. While also getting an utterly tough young stay at homer in Erskine. The first has quite some value I'd say.

Niinimaa, untill last night, has been a pretty big dissapointment. I think Smith is an improvement so that trade would improve our D as well as our forwards. The goalie swap is just to increase the security factor, as I don't quite trust Snow.
The first will have very little value. Dallas is just getting their game together now. Doubt they'll finish any lower than 5th in the West. The pick would end up in the 20-23 range.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
The first will have very little value. Dallas is just getting their game together now. Doubt they'll finish any lower than 5th in the West. The pick would end up in the 20-23 range.
The Stars are actually 9th or 10th if the teams below them win the games in hand. They might have been on a little streak recently, but they are far removed from being a playoff lock. The pick could be anything, but if the teams below them do what is expected of them it could very well be between 10 and 15..

Old
02-01-2004, 04:47 PM
hunter orange

I'd do Jason Smith straight up to Buffalo for Pyatt or Biron

Old
02-01-2004, 04:47 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

All good points, but a 3rd liner and a tough stay at home for a 1st/2nd liner and a tougher stay at home? The first is nice, but doesn't quite balance out. The Oilers need players now. Likely there would be better offers put on the table for these two players.

And I think it is fairly well known that Niins didn't want to leave Edmonton and hasn't played great, Hunter is quite nice though. And yeah I don't trust Snow either, hence why I wouldn't want him on my Oilers.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:49 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Morrow for Smyth is a wash...
I woudn't trade Havlat for Smyth but I would for Morrow, so perhaps we wash with different soap. However after last night Morrow is not going anywhere, Havlat+ or not.

Smyth is not going to get a younger better version of himself, in winger or C form, so stay grounded in your hopes.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
All good points, but a 3rd liner and a tough stay at home for a 1st/2nd liner and a tougher stay at home? The first is nice, but doesn't quite balance out. The Oilers need players now. Likely there would be better offers put on the table for these two players.

And I think it is fairly well known that Niins didn't want to leave Edmonton and hasn't played great, Hunter is quite nice though. And yeah I don't trust Snow either, hence why I wouldn't want him on my Oilers.
Well, considering age, potential, salary and contract status, this offer is actually quite solid IMO. As Smith is a pending UFA and Ryan makes big bucks..

That said, just a thought. I agree that there will likely be better offers, but I think that this is what the Stars could give up, at maximum. They maybe trade Ott, but certainly not to the Oilers

Hunter could be the next Smyth, and Niinimaa plays better in Edmonton than he does in NY. I think that this proposal could be something..

Old
02-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
The Stars are actually 9th or 10th if the teams below them win the games in hand. They might have been on a little streak recently, but they are far removed from being a playoff lock. The pick could be anything, but if the teams below them do what is expected of them it could very well be between 10 and 15..
The difference is those teams are doing what is expected of them now, just as Dallas is doing what is expected of them. Dallas is climbing and although they have played more games than anybody else they are on quite a run lately. 7-2-1 in their last 10. Closing in on San Jose pretty fast.
I guess we can say everything is Ifs and buts for now. :p The thing is Lowe won't deal Smyth unless he knows exactly what is coming back.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
I'd do Jason Smith straight up to Buffalo for Pyatt or Biron
Smith for Biron? I think I do that. Salaries are even too.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
I woudn't trade Havlat for Smyth but I would for Morrow, so perhaps we wash with different soap. However after last night Morrow is not going anywhere, Havlat+ or not.

Smyth is not going to get a younger better version of himself, in winger or C form, so stay grounded in your hopes.
I don't think that last night changed anything regarding Morrow's value. He's playing like that for every single shift, last night he just stepped it up offensively. Havlat is the superior skilled player though, but dealing Morrow just doesn't make any sense.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
The difference is those teams are doing what is expected of them now, just as Dallas is doing what is expected of them. Dallas is climbing and although they have played more games than anybody else they are on quite a run lately. 7-2-1 in their last 10. Closing in on San Jose pretty fast.
I guess we can say everything is Ifs and buts for now. :p The thing is Lowe won't deal Smyth unless he knows exactly what is coming back.
Good points, if I were Lowe I'd hold onto him to the point where it becomes a bidding war, and trade him out East. As he isn't the kinda type you'd like to face in the playoffs..

Old
02-01-2004, 04:57 PM
officeglen

Quote:
... The Oilers need players now. ...
Actually the purpose of trading Smyth & Smith would be to admit the season is shot, so the Oilers need players not now but after the great lockout is over.

Old
02-01-2004, 04:58 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Well, considering age, potential, salary and contract status, this offer is actually quite solid IMO. As Smith is a pending UFA and Ryan makes big bucks..

That said, just a thought. I agree that there will likely be better offers, but I think that this is what the Stars could give up, at maximum. They maybe trade Ott, but certainly not to the Oilers

Hunter could be the next Smyth, and Niinimaa plays better in Edmonton than he does in NY. I think that this proposal could be something..
Actually Smith is still RFA, so that shouldn't enter into it too much. And Smyth is 3.5 for the next 2 years I think. For a 60+ point forward that brings as much as he does, that is a pretty good price.

And I agree that I like the Islanders idea better too.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:00 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Huh? better then Smyth? He may have the potential to be, but even that isn't a given, he has never broken 50 points. I have no doubt that he will, but I would say that Smyth is a much better player right now...

Old
02-01-2004, 05:02 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Actually the purpose of trading Smyth & Smith would be to admit the season is shot, so the Oilers need players not now but after the great lockout is over.
Agreed, sorry I should have been more specific. They need high rated prospects in return, Young players in the NHL with potential (Morrow, Hunter, Ryder) or good up and comers that are fairly close to NHL level (Carter, Parise)

Old
02-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Huh? better then Smyth? He may have the potential to be, but even that isn't a given, he has never broken 50 points. I have no doubt that he will, but I would say that Smyth is a much better player right now...
There's not a doubt in my mind that Morrow right now, isn't a better player ever since their head to head matchup in last years playoffs.

Morrow plays on a team that scores a whole lot less and has been underachieving enormously. Yet still has more goals, points, pims and +/- than Ryan Smyth. To add that Morrow is making himself a strong darkhorse candidate for the Selke and is already wearing an A, which prove his leadership intangibles. Also, if those last tracked stats were of any value, Morrow ranks 4th in the NHL in hits with 104, while Smyth was nowhere to be found.

Also, I've heard a lot of people complaining about Smyth's play this season, he has been quite inconsistant, again, in contrary to Morrow.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:27 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
From Long Island:

Isles won't move leading scorer Hunter($600,000) and no way would MM ever bring ex-isles Salo back to LI.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Isles won't move leading scorer Hunter($600,000) and no way would MM ever bring ex-isles Salo back to LI.
While I think Hunter is enjoying a great season, he's far from a sure thing and could very well be a flash in the pan. Ryan Smyth is a proven, safe 50/60 sometimes 70 point player who steps it up in the playoffs. Whether the Isles deal Hunter or not, Smyth would and could make this team a step closer to contention, same goes for Smith vs Niinimaa.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
While I think Hunter is enjoying a great season, he's far from a sure thing and could very well be a flash in the pan. Ryan Smyth is a proven, safe 50/60 sometimes 70 point player who steps it up in the playoffs. Whether the Isles deal Hunter or not, Smyth would and could make this team a step closer to contention, same goes for Smith vs Niinimaa.

At last yr's trade deadline the isles (already with 4 offensive d-man), choose to pursue Niinimaa instead of Smith.I doubt that a rough first 50 games on LI turns the isles off Niinimaa.Local press say the isles are interested in bringing in 23 yr old Vish.

and yeah Hunter could be a flash in the pan,but the nyi front office/scouts have talking about Hunter for a few seasons and think he's going to be a very good player.His $600,000 salary vs. Smyth's $3.5m salary is also a big consideration for a team who has several key rfas this summer.

if the isles were to go after a $3.5m a yr player,they'd move one of their biggest salaries out-Peca or Hamrlik.Niinimaa's the youngsest and cheapest of their top 4 and imo the least likely to be dealt.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 02-01-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old
02-01-2004, 06:10 PM
AshRaTempel

Oiler fans, what is your opinion of Salo? Fed up with him and ready to move him cheap as a salary dump, or not enough security with Conklin, etc. behind him to move Salo without getting another netminder in return?

I ask as a Flyer fan looking at Salo as a good veteran backup for Esche (yes, I think he's good enough to be a #1) going into the playoffs.

If the consensus is that Salo can be dumped, I'd like to propose a deal for Smyth and Salo. Our most tradeable asset right now is Handzus, who's been playing like a great #2 center (finally!) for the past month or so. Is Handzus the young C you'd like in return, and if so what could I add to the deal that would make you go for it?

Handzus, Seidenberg plus ? for Smyth and Salo?

Closed Thread