HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smartest Ranger of all time

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 08:57 PM
FACEMAN

vCash: 500
Smartest Ranger of all time

I realized tonight who the smartest ranger of all time is.

Steve Larmer, he won the cup and had enough brains never to play another game for this misreable franchise.

Old
02-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Edge

didnt he play another 48 games for them? lol

95 season

Old
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Well, we know who isn't. (Esa Tikkanen)

Old
02-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACEMAN
I realized tonight who the smartest ranger of all time is.

Steve Larmer, he won the cup and had enough brains never to play another game for this misreable franchise.
Nope, he played the next season for us and only retired then because his back gave out.

Speaking of another great defensive forward--it was very nice to see Jan Erixon at the ceromony.

Old
02-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Edge

ya know i forgot how relatively young he was when he went back to sweden. Only 30 if even {depending on the month}.

It just seems like he played forever ago and for so long.

Old
02-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
ya know i forgot how relatively young he was when he went back to sweden. Only 30 if even {depending on the month}.

It just seems like he played forever ago and for so long.
it was great to see janny, i really didnt think he would have been a guest and i wonder if some of the bigger names were available if he would have been there at all, but he does have the true blue ranger thing going for him so maybe

regardless he was and will always be my favorite hockey player period, I just loved the way he played the game and thats how i tried to play when i did, i wish we had a team with 10 erixon's at foward (minus the back problems) and then a few goalscorers as oppossed to 10 goal scorers and holik and ortmeyer

Old
02-05-2004, 05:04 PM
True Blue

One thing that I always will remember Janny for is not for what he did, but what someone said about him. Erixon was one of the finest defensive forwards in the game. And the Rangers coach at the time (think that it was Brooks) did what Sather still has not fathomed.....he matched Erixon against the other teams top offensive player EVERY TIME. I recall Janny jumping off the ice and onto the ice quite often. Anyway, Erixon was the only player who could contain Mario Lemiuex. Or at least contain him as much as was possible back then. Lemieux detested playing against him. Not because Janny was dirty, but becuase he could not do what he wanted to on the ice when Erixon was on. So, after one game, a particularly annoyed Lemieux, said that he hated playing against Erixon. He then made a comment about how Janny was like a bad smell. Anywhere you went, he just went and stuck with you.

Old
02-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Edge

Gretzky also appreciated erixon in that regard. often stated that erixon and tikanen were the toughest players he played against.

Old
02-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Troy Mallette

Though the Mario matchup was probably the most famous one, Jan also could shut down Bossy. I remember Bossy complaing in the paper about him after a big Ranger win, saying things like "I can't believe someone can just go out and check all night."

Old
02-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Edge

Erixon was built like a tank too.

He wasnt big but he was just solid like a little VW beetle that just hits things and bounces off them.

Old
02-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
it was great to see janny, i really didnt think he would have been a guest and i wonder if some of the bigger names were available if he would have been there at all, but he does have the true blue ranger thing going for him so maybe

regardless he was and will always be my favorite hockey player period, I just loved the way he played the game and thats how i tried to play when i did, i wish we had a team with 10 erixon's at foward (minus the back problems) and then a few goalscorers as oppossed to 10 goal scorers and holik and ortmeyer
Yeah, I loved his game, tried to emulate his type of play when I was playing High School and Junior as well.

But all the years did catch up to him and his back pain ended his NHL career. Too bad, another season or two and he wouldve been great in the 94 playoffs.

He did have good offensive skill as well. Anyone remember the game winner he scored against the Devs in the playoffs back in 89/90 I believe. He won the faceoff to himself & snapped it past the Devs goalie(Burke?).

Old
02-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

What you're remembering must be from the 1992 --that's the first time the Rangers and the Devils played against each other in the playoffs. And rats, I missed that series!

Old
02-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Craig MacTavish!

Oh how I miss those helmetless players.

Old
02-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Edge

nah the helmets added to history. they are the reason mullets were born into hockey lore.

Closed Thread