HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Going to NYC for the 1st time with my gf

Old
03-09-2008, 12:49 PM
FrenchHabs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to FrenchHabs
OT - Going to NYC for the 1st time with my gf

Hey guys,

I will be going to NYC with my girlfriend from April 13-20. It will be her first time in the US so I plan to really introduce her to the American culture... we'll just be doing so many things during that week, I can't wait. I'm about to make my booking for the hotel, so I really need your opinion on our findings :

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/qual...d-city.en.html
New 3-star hotel in long island city very close to many subway and bus station... seems like an awesome quality/price

What do you think about this choice ? We don't mind commuting every day as long as it's less than 30 minutes to get to mid town.

An other choice like this one : http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/comf...out=2008-04-20

$1000 for 7 nights seems like a perfect deal, especially since so many subway lines and bus come close to these hotels.

Last edited by FrenchHabs: 03-09-2008 at 12:55 PM.
FrenchHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 12:52 PM
broadwayblue

Get lost. Just kidding If you do a search you should be able to find several threads about visiting NYC. I'll see if I can find a link to any of them.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 12:54 PM
FrenchHabs

We've spent a lot of time checking everything, but we just wanted a final opinion on those two hotels.

Old
03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchHabs View Post
We've spent a lot of time checking everything, but we just wanted a final opinion on those two hotels.
Both hotels appear to be only 1 block away from Queensboro Plaza, where you can jump on the subway and be in the city in a few minutes. I doubt you'll be spending much time in the hotel room, so unless 1 offers a feature the other doesn't (free breakfast or wifi) I'd just go with the cheaper one.

Edit: Looks like they both offer free wifi.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Choice

I live not far from there. It's a pretty gritty area. Not saying it's dangerous or anything, but it's industrial. If you are adventerous there is some really cool, non-touristy stuff to do around there.

PM me if you want specific suggestions about things to do in LIC. Like I said, I live around there and spend a good deal of time in LIC.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 03:32 PM
TomLaidlaw

I grew up in Astoria which is right by there and I still play softball at Queensbridge park. I would stay at the first place on 30th street if i was you. Like Johnny said, the area your staying in is "gritty". I would have probably chosen a different word then that but gritty works...lol. Your on 30th street and right near Northern Blvd. You won't have any problems getting a cab being that close to Northern Blvd, and the train station is right there. Here is some solid advice for you though, don't venture too far into the 20's. There isn't any tourist stuff around there and I doubt your girlfriend will enjoy that area. Your smart for staying in LIC though. You save alot of money on your Hotel and your a 10 minute train ride to midtown. Have fun.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Choice

It seems like there's a new bar or restaurant every day on Vernon Blvd., his girl would probably enjoy that.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
It seems like there's a new bar or restaurant every day on Vernon Blvd., his girl would probably enjoy that.
He is right by the N train where he is staying, if he wants to explore Queens one day I would say just jump on the N train and take it to the Ditmars stop and check out all the Cafes on Ditmars. That area has really come along. Tons of Cafes and shops along ditmars all the way to Steinway.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
segmentation fault
welp

Long Island City is a bit of a hole

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 05:33 PM
BwayBshirt

my wife hated LIC during our first visit to NYC.

while trying to read my map at that time, i accidentally confused the queens center mall with queensboro plaza.

she wasn't pleased with that

...and i still hear about it to this day.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
LamoTheKid

http://notfortourists.com/NewYork-PDFs.aspx

Usually i recommend getting the book, but this is the greatest guide to the spots in NYC hands down. Print out the LIC one and a few others. and PLEASE dont spend too much time midtown. NYC is so much more then that.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithChawwclateSawwce View Post
http://notfortourists.com/NewYork-PDFs.aspx

Usually i recommend getting the book, but this is the greatest guide to the spots in NYC hands down. Print out the LIC one and a few others. and PLEASE dont spend too much time midtown. NYC is so much more then that.
nice...................................

another nft fan i see.

hands down the best guide book series out there, especially for new york.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Hey guys,

I will be going to NYC with my girlfriend from April 13-20. It will be her first time in the US so I plan to really introduce her to the American culture... we'll just be doing so many things during that week, I can't wait. I'm about to make my booking for the hotel, so I really need your opinion on our findings :

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/qual...d-city.en.html
New 3-star hotel in long island city very close to many subway and bus station... seems like an awesome quality/price

What do you think about this choice ? We don't mind commuting every day as long as it's less than 30 minutes to get to mid town.

An other choice like this one : http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/comf...out=2008-04-20

$1000 for 7 nights seems like a perfect deal, especially since so many subway lines and bus come close to these hotels.
i'm a little too drunk right now (understatement) to give you a detailed response but let me just say, while 1000 for 7 nights is a great deal in nyc area. it is a completely **** area where the hotel is located.

i'm sure the hotel itself is quality, but its not an area where you wanna be around, and if say you were to bring kids with you i'd be adamant about you going elsewhere. saves you a ton of money it seems, but again, that area is crap. drug dealers, prostitutes are within blocks from it. your general safety should be fine but you may see some of that. (basically where the train plaza is) note that it is very versatile area as well though, as in you can get a cab easily and can take the train to the city with ease from there.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 09:28 PM
in the hall

ok i just read some responses. it seems some people hvave said the same.

let me add, the area looks crap. it for the most part is, but its not really a dangerous area, just a bad area by appearance and feel. if you can live with the fact you are centrally located in a ***** hole, (in other wrods if its worth it to you financially to be basically in a bargain bin, but a great location just outside the city) then its fine.

its not like you're vacationing here to be in long island city to begin with so i expect you to make use of those subway. keep in mind a taxi ride into the city will cost money so make sure the hotel stay just outside of it offsets it financially enough to make it worth it.

feel free to follow up w/ any questions. i have traveled many times before. have taken care of tourists, and obviously live in the area close to nyc, and know what you're talking about.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:11 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

i at worked at LIC...the area over there is boring and lame..I couldnt wait to jump into the train to come back into manhattan

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 10:42 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
That is a cheap deal, but I'd suggest just paying a few hundred more and staying in Manhattan if you can swing it. You'll be in a much nicer area and save a lot of time each day with the commuting. It really is worth a few hundo more.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That is a cheap deal, but I'd suggest just paying a few hundred more and staying in Manhattan if you can swing it. You'll be in a much nicer area and save a lot of time each day with the commuting. It really is worth a few hundo more.
Are you kidding me? He's 1 stop to 57th St on the N/W and about 6 from Canal St. on the N.

Save the extra few hundred for a good time at the Burp Castle (If you like chill atmosphere and Belgian Beers)! LIC and Astoria are great. Like someone said before, go to Ditmars and check out the cafes and Greek restaurants. LIC and Astoria are the new Williamsburg and have a really interesting dynamic and attitude all their own (without the tight pants, greasy hair, and smug sense of superiority [hipsters are awful]).

Old
03-11-2008, 08:45 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
nice...................................

another nft fan i see.

hands down the best guide book series out there, especially for new york.
It has saved my ass on more then a few occasions, and led to a few excellent Saturday nights. The Blog rocks too.

Old
03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
FrenchHabs

OT-Best broadway show

Hey guys, I'm taking my gf to NYC for the first time in April. It will be her first time in the US, and I thought about going to a Broadway show. However, I just don't know anything about the shows.

We're 24, and since she's not completely fluent in English, we'd rather go to a visually entertaining performance.

Do you have any suggestion for us and where to buy the tickets online ?

Thanks

Old
03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
TheHotRock

what days exactly? if you're heard on april 11 or 12 id say go see the disco biscuits at the nokia theatre. great concert, great light show, dancing...all the good stuff.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The Lion KIng
A Chorus Line
Chicago
Phantom of the opera
Hairspray

Theres really alot to chose from but those are very popular and not hard to translate.

Btw, if you're here on April 5th come see my band play at Ace of Clubs, we go on at 11PM

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:17 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
what days exactly? if you're heard on april 11 or 12 id say go see the disco biscuits at the nokia theatre. great concert, great light show, dancing...all the good stuff.
Oh geeze. The guy is interested in going to a Broadway show and you recomment the Disco Biscuits??

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:21 PM
FrenchHabs

What about Wicked, is that a good show ?

Old
03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
What about Wicked, is that a good show ?
I hear its good but don't know much about it, or how easy it is to translate to someone that doesnt speak the language. Tourists come here everyday and see these shows, i'm sure she won't be disappointed no matter which show you chose.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:25 PM
stcatcs12

Wicked is definitely a fun show, especially if your girlfriend is a fan of the Wizard of Oz, and Phantom of the Opera is a classic, very visually captivating, awesome effects, classic broadway music, and a good storyline. Phantom would be my recommendation.

stcatcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote