HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Oilers need a center

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2008, 07:38 AM
  #26
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 47,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Has your team got depth at center? Looking to shore up other areas? Got salary cap concerns? Let's talk, chief!

This summer, the Oilers need to add a solid defensive center. Or, they need to add a top-line center and move Horcoff into a 2-way role.

The Oilers trading chips could include:

-Oilers' 2009 first-round pick or other draft picks
-a defenseman-- maybe even Pitkanen in the right deal
-Stoll
-Torres
-Schremp or other prospects depending on the deal.

Has your team got somebody who'd fit the bill? Let's hear about it.
Stoll/Horcoff are a good 1-2 punch. Cogs and gagner are going are going to make one of the two redundant. Oilers need punch on the wing--not up the midd;le

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:58 AM
  #27
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by booon View Post
i would do that deal
most flyers fans would not.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 06:20 PM
  #28
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
most flyers fans would not.
Most flyer fans also wanted Hemsky + for Pitkanen.

Fans |-------------------------| reality.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 06:30 PM
  #29
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Most flyer fans also wanted Hemsky + for Pitkanen.

Fans |-------------------------| reality.
Torres and Stoll |-----------------------------------| Trade Value

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
  #30
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Torres and Stoll |-----------------------------------| Trade Value
Yup. Torres is injured.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
  #31
Popcorn_Shrimp*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Country: Gibraltar
Posts: 2,718
vCash: 500
Oil can sign Morrison for 2-2.5 ..theres your 50-60 point 20+ goal center....a real iron man too (excluding this season of course )

Wont cost a thing cept cap space

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
  #32
Dempsey
Registered User
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 50
If I make you a good offer will you accept it and we'll have a trade?

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
  #33
jcorb58
Registered User
 
jcorb58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,477
vCash: 500
No matter what our needs might be i would not part with our 2009 first round.
Been there ,,,done that, bought the Tshirt,

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
  #34
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Stoll/Horcoff are a good 1-2 punch. Cogs and gagner are going are going to make one of the two redundant. Oilers need punch on the wing--not up the midd;le
The only "punch" Stoll has shown in the past year is "punch drunk".

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
My thoughts exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
If I make you a good offer will you accept it and we'll have a trade?
Of course! Doesn't every proposal suggested on HFboards wind up as a completed trade?

Just looking for opinions from fans of other teams on what players might be available and what it would cost in a trade. And obviously other Oiler fans have different opinions on whether it's even a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorb58 View Post
No matter what our needs might be i would not part with our 2009 first round.
Been there ,,,done that, bought the Tshirt,
In the right trade, why not?

Personally, I think it's going to wind up as a middle-of-the-pack pick, but others might believe it's going to be a ticket to the Tavares lottery and put a high value on it in a trade.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
  #35
HuMz
Registered User
 
HuMz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 50
EVeryone except the OP agrees that we have an abundance of Centres which is why the organization has tryed converting centres in the minors to the wing. Despite how you view Reasoner, Brodziak, and Stoll they are all above average Centres.

Why would a rebuilding team trade a proven young cheap centre just because he is struggling after a injury? Stoll has already proven that he has the potential to be a top end checking centre who can score so why give up on him after one struggling season?

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 11:18 PM
  #36
Matador
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
The last thing we need is another center.

Matador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
  #37
ThemooseGrazier
 
ThemooseGrazier's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Yorkton
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
A center 1st line center is the last thing we need we have horcoff who will be a center for a number of years. What we need are 2 veterans who can score and who can lead the team. Especially for all of our young players a veteran to teach them would be excellent

ThemooseGrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
  #38
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Would there be any Interest in Marcel Goc? I know it might sound dumb but I see some real potential to be a top six forward in the near future. He was a first round pick, is fast, kills penalties, has a good shot (hard, not that accurate), is good along the boards, and is a good stick handler. He also can play wing. The big problem is that he is so inconsistent and has NO confidence. Keep in mind I am probably the only sharks fan who thinks he has potential.

If Goc is not a good fit maybe Pavelski could work out, but it would take more to get him as he has been producing lately. He can play the point on the PP, but tends to misfire on one-timers from a hard pass, he has got a great shot and great vision. Can't play the wing at all.

Also with the sharks hoping to resign campbell, the need to drop some sallary. Mclaren is available and I hear the oilers a considered soft. Big Mac could help put a stop to that.

Maybe a trade of:

Pavelski+Mclaren+Kasper
for
Stoll + 1st 09

Is this fair?

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
  #39
Eazy T
Registered User
 
Eazy T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemooseGrazier View Post
A center 1st line center is the last thing we need we have horcoff who will be a center for a number of years. What we need are 2 veterans who can score and who can lead the team. Especially for all of our young players a veteran to teach them would be excellent
Vasicek and Satan are veterans.

Eazy T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:46 PM
  #40
s7ark
Registered User
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Would there be any Interest in Marcel Goc? I know it might sound dumb but I see some real potential to be a top six forward in the near future. He was a first round pick, is fast, kills penalties, has a good shot (hard, not that accurate), is good along the boards, and is a good stick handler. He also can play wing. The big problem is that he is so inconsistent and has NO confidence. Keep in mind I am probably the only sharks fan who thinks he has potential.

If Goc is not a good fit maybe Pavelski could work out, but it would take more to get him as he has been producing lately. He can play the point on the PP, but tends to misfire on one-timers from a hard pass, he has got a great shot and great vision. Can't play the wing at all.

Also with the sharks hoping to resign campbell, the need to drop some sallary. Mclaren is available and I hear the oilers a considered soft. Big Mac could help put a stop to that.

Maybe a trade of:

Pavelski+Mclaren+Kasper
for
Stoll + 1st 09

Is this fair?
Zero interest in any of this, and contrary to the OP we don't need a center.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
  #41
VelvetJones
Registered User
 
VelvetJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Oilers don't need no stinking center.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
  #42
Koivu84*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
Marleau + Vlasic + 3rd
for
Pitkanen + Stoll

Koivu84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
  #43
oilerfan17
Registered User
 
oilerfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyde Park, Chicago
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
Marleau + Vlasic + 3rd
for
Pitkanen + Stoll
No thanks. We don't need Marleau's large contract when we already have our two top-6 centers with Horcoff and Gagner.

oilerfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
  #44
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Would there be any Interest in Marcel Goc?
Obviously I can't speak to Kevin Lowe and the state of mind of EDM's management, but before the 2001 draft it was rumored that Hemsky and Goc were two of the guys EDM was most interested in selecting in the first round.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 01:12 AM
  #45
Agent Zero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EDM
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Ales Hemsky needs Olli Jokinen. If Horcoff was on pace for 30 goals with Hemsky this year, Jokinen can crack 50+. He put up 35+ goals in two consecutive seasons playing with a bunch a kids, now thats impressive!

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 01:37 AM
  #46
oiler-dude
Registered User
 
oiler-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,994
vCash: 500
I'd rather have a scoring winger, personally. I'm ok with a centre position of Horcoff, Cogliano, Stoll (I think he'll turn it around), and Brodziak.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 01:41 AM
  #47
VelvetJones
Registered User
 
VelvetJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
Ales Hemsky needs Olli Jokinen. If Horcoff was on pace for 30 goals with Hemsky this year, Jokinen can crack 50+. He put up 35+ goals in two consecutive seasons playing with a bunch a kids, now thats impressive!
Pitkkanen needs Olli more as a roommate. Horcoff is just fine as a 1st line center until proven different.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 02:34 AM
  #48
NYRKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
I think marty straka would be a perfect fit. Even if you have to many centers he could easily slide on to the wing. He's coming off an injury riddled season and he was taken off the Rangers top line. If the oilers pick him up at a cheap price, him and hemsky with one of the young guys can put up some good numbers

NYRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 02:35 AM
  #49
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,963
vCash: 500
Awards:
If they hadn't had such a public breakup after the prom, how about a problem-for-problem type change of scenery trade with Stoll and Connolly? No? Damn.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 04:00 AM
  #50
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If they hadn't had such a public breakup after the prom, how about a problem-for-problem type change of scenery trade with Stoll and Connolly? No? Damn.
As an Oilers fan, I would make that trade. Connolly could potentially look very good on a line with Hemsky and it would allow the Oilers to play a line of Torres-Horcoff-Pisani against more difficult opposition.

However, like you said, any deal between the Sabres and Oilers is unlikely at this point (although I still think it's silly to think that way if a deal comes along that could help both teams).

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.