HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plenty of Cap space for Habs this coming Summer

Old
03-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Noldo

vCash: 500
I think that one of the most intresting decisions to be made by Gainey coming off-season is the term of Kostitsyn's contract: does the team try to lock him into long term contract (4-5 years minimum), based to some extent on his potential (meaning ~4 million per) or give him the gap contract (~2 million per) for few years and allocate more cap space to him after that once Kovalev is probably of the books (and at that point A.Ko should take his spot on the team).

I would not be surprised if Gainey already has some rought ideas on what kind of extensions Plekanec, Higgins and Komisarek are looking for. None of them can be actually extended before July 1st, but lets face it, the money allocated to those players pretty much dictates the possible moves already this summer, especially considering players to be signed for long term contracts.

Practically money for UFA signins is coming from leavin UFAs. Huet's and Ryder's money are the primary starting point for acquisitions. Add to that departure of Briesebois and replacement of Smolinski by cheaper Chipchura, and there is the money that can be used. 3 million from Ryder + 2 million from Huet (Halak's increase deducted here) + 1 million from Smolinski (Chipchura's salary deduted) + 600k from Briesebois (Carle's / Valentenko's salary deducted) + 300k from end of Murray's waivers , close to 7 million all together and this year's free cap space still available.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lol Hamrlik was making 2.5 last year, and we gave him 5.5 to come here and hes 33, its the only way to get people here... however, i dont think rolston is a good fit.

Kost will not sign for 2.5 M a year, i just dont think that will happen, however, he will sign for 3-4 years at 1.7 to 2 M for those 3-4 years, THEN it might be a 4.5 / 5 M contract to keep him

Komi is worth 4.5 mill, i just dont see him signing for more than that, i just really dont, the person who said 6.75 to 7.25 is smokin somethin i want

Pleks is key, itd be nice for 4.5, but that type of player will probably go for 5 to 6.... sadly..
The biggest reason the Habs had trouble attracting UFA's was because they missed the playoffs and the perception was that they were not going to be better this year. Phillie got Briere Hartnell and Timmonen(at ridiculous money, but still...) because perception was they were on the way back.

Being in a hockey mad market can be a big advantage or disadvantage depending if you are winning or losing.

One think to remember on Komi and Plek(and Higgins) is that they are not FA this summer, so they don;t have the leverage of a UFA. If the Habs offer them 4-5 year deals for solid money(4.5 for 4 for Pleks and 3.75 for 5 for Komi) I think both guys will bite given that they seem to like it here and they don;t have to risk having a bad/injury filled 08-09 year that could cost them money. Higgins I'd try and sign at a 9 mil 3 year extension this summer. He could turn out to be a bargain for that if he takes the next step in development to 30-40-70.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Price 850 (rookie max, but some sites have him at 2.200 Million per year?)
Halak 500

Streit 2.000 (est)

Kost Jr 0.570
Kost Sr 1.800 (est. on par with Pleks/Komi/Higgins)
The Price's cap hit is 2.2M$...

Halak have to be resigned, around 0.65M$ in my opinion...

Streit deserves more like 3M'$...

S.Kostitsyn cap hit is 0.82M$...

A.Kostitsyn can get around 3M$ for a multi-year contract...

In this way and if the cap becomes 54M$, we will have around 7M$ in cap room with 21 players...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
I agree about not blowing an uber wad on a player like Hossa when there are young players to lock up. However, I don't see Komisarek signing for less than Phaneuf money, anywhere between $6.5 and $7.25 million a season. I think we only need to lock Plekanec and AKost up for 4 years (maybe 5). These longer than 5 year contracts are going to bite a team eventually (cough, Philadelphia, cough).
Depends on who you give the contract to... for example DiPietro is well worth the contract he was given, 4.5M$ for one of the good goalies in the league ? no problemo! especially not with the Cap going up every year (for now)... but over 5 years for a 31 years old Drury ? Rags will be lucky if he play "up to his contract" for half the years remaining on it... Brad Richards ? looking at Drury, Gomez, Briere contract, 7.8 for a 27 years old Richards doesnt look as bad anymore...

so, if a 25 years old Plekanec or a 22 years old A. Kostytsin get 6 or 7 years, that should be fine

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
True, he isnt... but 1.8M$ for a 5th or 6th D-man is lots of money...
Buying him out saves no money, you'd owe him about 1.1 mil spread over 08-09 and 09-10 and you'd have to bring in another d-man making 600-900 k anyways.

I don't see any drastic changes needed on defense except for getting Komi signed long term. O'byrne is already playing so0lid, Valentenko is on the way and maybe Yemelin next year...on top of all the prospects in junior or NCAA(Weber Subban Cepek Fischer McDonagh).

Old
03-10-2008, 08:49 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Buying him out saves no money, you'd owe him about 1.1 mil spread over 08-09 and 09-10 and you'd have to bring in another d-man making 600-900 k anyways.

I don't see any drastic changes needed on defense except for getting Komi signed long term. O'byrne is already playing so0lid, Valentenko is on the way and maybe Yemelin next year...on top of all the prospects in junior or NCAA(Weber Subban Cepek Fischer McDonagh).
not saying we should buy him out, it's the last year of his contract anyway, might as well pay him in full but for 1 year only, same for Dandeneault... that is unless we can trade one/both of them of course.

Old
03-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
not saying we should buy him out, it's the last year of his contract anyway, might as well pay him in full but for 1 year only, same for Dandeneault... that is unless we can trade one/both of them of course.
Dandenault is another situation. I'd first try and trade him, plan B would be to send him down and recall him so he can be claimed at 50% salary, plan C is to buy him out. He doesn't fit here anymore, I think next year you sign a tough guy who can play and keep him as 13th forward.

Old
03-10-2008, 09:02 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Dandenault is another situation. I'd first try and trade him, plan B would be to send him down and recall him so he can be claimed at 50% salary, plan C is to buy him out. He doesn't fit here anymore, I think next year you sign a tough guy who can play and keep him as 13th forward.
Contract wise Dandy is in the same position, still paid too much for what he brings to the table... almost same salary as Bouillon, so I dont see where it would make sense to buyout Dandeneault but not Bouillon ?

Old
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
Bring back Alexander Perezhogin at 2 Millions $ for 1 year. (If Gainey gave 2 Millions to Bryan Smolinspuke, He can give it to Perezhogin no problem.).

Sign UFA Marian Hossa at 8,5 Millions $ for 6 years

Streit will sign at no less than 3 Millions $

Get rid of Dandenault and Bouillon, or buy them out.
Yea good luck with that. Perezhogin makes roughly 3.4M US in the RSL playing at home for the top team in the RSL. He got an apartment and car given to him by his club on top of his salary. And he's under contract with Salavat next year, so why would he give up all that to come back here for much less money?

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 11:59 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochelaga View Post
Not true , Komi will not make more than 4m because he is defensive , make your homework and watch the price of the defensive defenseman and watch the price of offensive defenseman *ala* Phaneuf and you will understand what im saying.
thats the market
Ah well, lock the thread, the defacto authority has spoken. Komisarek is not and will not be paid based on points or power play ice time. His value will be set by how he can intimidate an opposing team with a solid hit and motivate his own team by his defensive presence and leadership. Komisarek's offensive numbers compare very well with those of Scott Stevens during his time as captain of the Devils. For your homework lesson, take a look at Chris Pronger's offensive stats during his first few seasons and look at what he is making now.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
AH

Free Agent game = setup for disaster.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Contract wise Dandy is in the same position, still paid too much for what he brings to the table... almost same salary as Bouillon, so I dont see where it would make sense to buyout Dandeneault but not Bouillon ?
Because Bouillon contributes to the team night in and night out. He's 4th on the team in ice time for defensemen, is a +6 and he is a guy that shows up every night. He may be a bit overpaid, but nowhere near what Dandenault is(basically 13th forward).

Old
03-10-2008, 12:23 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
I agree about not blowing an uber wad on a player like Hossa when there are young players to lock up. However, I don't see Komisarek signing for less than Phaneuf money, anywhere between $6.5 and $7.25 million a season. I think we only need to lock Plekanec and AKost up for 4 years (maybe 5). These longer than 5 year contracts are going to bite a team eventually (cough, Philadelphia, cough).
Phaneuf is miles ahead of Komisarek. He has some offense in him. Komisarek at 5M is a good estimate. Anywhere between 6.5 and 7.25 would be a HUGE overpayment.

--

On my UFA wish list:

I would take any of Rolston and Hossa before Jagr. I hope Bob gives it all to sign one of the two.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Agreed...I would even offer 5 million per, short term deal...2-3 years
Certainly glad you're not the GM.... Rolston worth 5 mil....Please......the guy is a 3rd-4th liner....In your way of thinking.... Smokes is worth the same.....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Certainly glad you're not the GM.... Rolston worth 5 mil....Please......the guy is a 3rd-4th liner....In your way of thinking.... Smokes is worth the same.....
Rolston will be worth 5m on the market. Harmlik is worth 5,5 M as a UFA. Rolston is not a 3rd liner/4th liner. I don't think you know what you are talking about, so you should keep it quiet and I'm glad you are not the GM.

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...hy.asp?ID=4839

Rolston is an amazing player, really fast with one hell of a slapshot.

Old
03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Rolston is what Higgins should become in 1-3 years, a 30-35-65 guy who is good defensively. I wouldn't mind signing him 20 mil over 4 years.

Old
03-10-2008, 12:33 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:

Who do you suggest would take his 25 minutes of ice time, especially 5 on 5 and on PK?

Hamrlik is probably the #2 guy responsible for the improvement from last year after Kovy, he's a rock out there, does all the small things to help you win games that fans don't always see.
100% agreed. Hamrlik is a rock on defense and his presence helps make Price's job easier. Unfortunately, somet fans only value offensive statistics and don't realize that you need to get the puck out of your own end to generate any offense which is something Hamrlik does quite well.

StanleyCH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Squeaky

Quote:
Rolston is what Higgins should become in 1-3 years, a 30-35-65 guy who is good defensively. I wouldn't mind signing him 20 mil over 4 years.
4 years for Rolston? He'd be 39 at the end of that contract, and you'd be on the hook for every single penny, since he's already over 35.

I'd gladly take Rolston, he's a great player. But no way am I giving him more than a 2 year contract at this point. I'd prefer 1 year.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I've made the cap estimates before for the next three seasons and am now kinda wary about doing those as in the past these have shown to be futile because we don't actually know what Gainey might be planning. For this summer, contrarily to common belief and wishful thinking, Gainey might not be looking for a player like Hossa as we are missing a right-handed Dman and our defense stands at 15th in the league whereas our offense is first (gfpg/gapg). Also, Gainey seems keen on resigning the late RFAs like Plekanec as we've all heard the rumors of BG offering him a five year extention. This probably indicates that BG will tend to keep his team together, relying on the hometown discount to solidify this team for the next 5 years.

The UFA market of July 09 might be better suited to get a star player as both Kovalev and Koivu will be up for it too. Koivu, if resigned, might get a significant paycut. Kovalev is a big question mark as he wants to stay but is getting old, so Gainey might want to reduce his cost, yet this is still much too early for speculation as we'll have to see what he'll do next season and if he is willing to take the paycut, as the logical question in a GM's mind would be "do I take Kovy at full price or do I sign another younger superstar a little higher with much less risk". Bouillon, Brisebois, Kostopoulos, Smolinski and Dandenault will probably have left the organization by that time (July 09) and the major RFAs, expect for the Kosty Bros, will be resigned for long term, which means we will be much more settled as to what type of money will be available for the long term plan.

I've followed closely in the last several months and years, the progression of revenues in the NHL, and my own estimate is still around 57 mil for next year's cap. This means, if all goes well, that the cap might rise close to 62-64 mil for the 09-10 season. There are a lot of factors involved in this, like national economics which are on a descent in the US, and is the reason why I think Gainey will want to sign many of the RFAs to long term contracts as they will be on par for a stagnating cap and will somewhat be rebates if the cap keeps climbing.

One thing is for sure in my mind is that we will still have much cap space even after our major RFAs will be signed for long term and that the decision to get a real impact player will be made when Koivu and Kovy's contracts will be up. Because the team will be much more set on what it can spendfor the following years. And it is also the reason why I think Gainey will rather try to improve minor aspects of the team in this off-season, like getting a right-handed Dman, and do major changes the following year, which will be the last year of the five year plan which was stalled for an entire season in 04-05.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
4 years for Rolston? He'd be 39 at the end of that contract, and you'd be on the hook for every single penny, since he's already over 35.

I'd gladly take Rolston, he's a great player. But no way am I giving him more than a 2 year contract at this point. I'd prefer 1 year.
I didn't realise he was 35...yeah that age I wouldn't go any more than 3 years 13(5, 4 and 4) or 2 years 10 mil.

Old
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77 View Post
100% agreed. Hamrlik is a rock on defense and his presence helps make Price's job easier. Unfortunately, somet fans only value offensive statistics and don't realize that you need to get the puck out of your own end to generate any offense which is something Hamrlik does quite well.
The thing is, Hammer looks essential because he's a big defensive D that Carbo plays a lot. But Carbo was doing the same with Bonk last year. He was playing him a lot because he was the defensive shutdown center and Carbo is a defensive-minded coach. And the Habs did not even bother signing him back. Because you can find defensive players at every street corners. Especially guys that do not hit(like Bonk and Hammer).

Given what we have in the minors or guys we could find anywhere in the league that wouldn't cost a dime, I would not mind trading Hammer for cap space. But I understand he has a NTC.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
I didn't realise he was 35...yeah that age I wouldn't go any more than 3 years 13(5, 4 and 4) or 2 years 10 mil.
I wonder if sometimes grossly overpaying a UFA in order to get him to sign a short term contract wouldn't benefitted the team more. I mean, this summer we should have plenty of cap space but as someone pointed out earlier, with Kovalev/Koivu off the hook the next year, 09 should be an interesting year too.

So let's say you sign Rolston to the max you can ( ~ 8,5 M / 1 year contract). He isn't worth that money of course, but since he can prolly get a longer contract elsewhere at 5M a year, a one-year contract like this could be interesting for him and the habs.

Don't know if it makes sense, just a sudden random thought I felt sharing

Old
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Here's what I think will happen:

UFAs:
Patrice Brisebois
Bryan Smolinski
Mikhail Grabovski (RFA-EUROPE)
Michael Ryder
Duncan Milroy
Jonathan Ferland
Mathieu Biron
Brett Engelhardt
Yann Danis
Ajay Baines (AHL)
Daniel Corso (AHL)
Eric Manlow (AHL)

Roster Moves:
Draft day: 1st rounder + mid-level prospect for Alex Tanguay
Trade Mathieu Dandenault for a 5th rounder
Trade Francis Bouillon for a 4th rounder
Re-sign RFA Andre Benoit 2 years = $1.0M per 2 way
Sign UFA John Grahame (1 year @ $1.5M) 1 way
Sign UFA Steve Montador (2 years @ $1.75M per) 1 way
Sign UFA Andre Roy (2 years @ $1M per) 1 way
Sign UFA Noah Clarke (1 year @ $0.7M) 2 way
Sign prospects James Wyman, Ryan White, Alexei Emelin, Cam Cepek (to AHL deal) & Philippe Paquet

Re-Signings:
Andrei Kostitsyn RFA (2 years @ $1.8M per) 1way
Maxim Lapierre RFA (3 years @ $0.8M per) 1 way
Mark Streit UFA (3 years @ $2.5M per) 1 way
Ryan O'Byrne RFA (2 years @ $1.1M per) 1 way
Josh Gorges RFA (3 years @ $1.4M per) 1 way
JP Cote UFA (2 years @ $0.7M per) 1 way
Jaroslav Halak RFA (2 years @ $1.2M per) 1 way
Corey Locke RFA (1 year @ 0.5M) 1 way
Janne Lahti RFA (1 year @ 0.8M) 2 way
Marvin Degon RFA (2 years @ 0.8M per) 2 way
Andrew Archer UFA (1 year @ 0.5M) 2 way

MONTREAL CANADIENS

Alex Tanguay 5.2 | Tomas Plekanec 1.6 | Alex Kovalev 4.5
Andrei Kostitsyn 1.8 | Saku Koivu 4.75 | Sergei Kostitsyn 0.9
Chris Higgins 1.7 | Kyle Chipchura 1.0 | Guillaume Latendresse 0.85
Mark Streit 2.5 | Steve Begin 1.0 | Maxim Lapierre 0.8
***Tom Kostopoulos 0.9 | Andre Roy 1.0 ***

Andrei Markov 5.75 | Mike Komisarek 1.7
Roman Hamrlik 5.5 | Ryan O'Byrne 1.1
Josh Gorges 1.4 | Steve Montador 1.75
***JP Cote 0.7

Carey Price 0.85 | Jaroslav Halak 1.2

HAMILTON BULLDOGS

Corey Locke 0.5 | Ben Maxwell 0.8 | Matt D'Agostini 0.5
Noah Clarke 0.7 | Brock Trotter 0.7 | James Wyman 0.5
Janne Lahti 0.8 | Ryan White 0.6 | Thomas Beauregard AHL
Olivier Latendresse 0.5 | Mathieu Aubin 0.5 | Greg Stewart 0.5
***Jimmy Bonneau 0.5 | David Desharnais AHL | Ryan Russell 0.5 ***

Andre Benoit 1.0 | Alexei Emelin 0.9
Pavel Valentenko 0.85 | Mathieu Carle 0.85
Marvin Degon 0.8 | Philippe Paquet 0.6
***Andrew Archer 0.5 | Jon Gleed AHL | Cam Cepek AHL | Conrad Martin AHL

John Grahame 1.5 | Cedrick Desjardins AHL | Loic Lacasse 0.5

Total Contracts: 45
Montreal Payroll: $48.450.000

The team would have a lot of depth with 2 spare forwards and 1 spare dman on the roster. I believe Cote will have a good camp, and Gainey won't want to lose him like Hainsey and Beauchemin. In the AHL, guys like Locke, D'Agostini, Clarke and Lahti could earn call-ups, just like Benoit, Emelin, Valentenko and Grahame.

Montador replaces Bouillon on D, as he brings pretty much the same thing but is bigger and has more playoff experience. Also, Grahame is that AHL goalie with NHL experience that most teams have when they ice a young tandem with the big club. As for Andre Roy, he's the fighter we always wanted, and provides good depth along with Kostopoulos if there's an injury on our bottom two lines.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post

HAMILTON BULLDOGS

Corey Locke 0.5 | Ben Maxwell 0.8 | Matt D'Agostini 0.5
Noah Clarke 0.7 | Brock Trotter 0.7 | James Wyman 0.5
Janne Lahti 0.8 | Ryan White 0.6 | Thomas Beauregard AHL
Olivier Latendresse 0.5 | Mathieu Aubin 0.5 | Greg Stewart 0.5
***Jimmy Bonneau 0.5 | David Desharnais AHL | Ryan Russell 0.5 ***

Andre Benoit 1.0 | Alexei Emelin 0.9
Pavel Valentenko 0.85 | Mathieu Carle 0.85
Marvin Degon 0.8 | Philippe Paquet 0.6
***Andrew Archer 0.5 | Jon Gleed AHL | Cam Cepek AHL | Conrad Martin AHL

John Grahame 1.5 | Cedrick Desjardins AHL | Loic Lacasse 0.5
You forgot Yannick Weber, he should be in Hamilton next year. Paquet I don't know if he will leave school early as he missed a chunk of time this year so I would assume he will be back for his senior year next season. I wouldn't pencil Emelin into any lineup just yet.

As for vets, I'd bring back Baines and I'd love to see Ferland/Cote back but I can understand if they want to leave and try their luck with another club.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
[...].
Not bad. Not bad at all...

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote