HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAMES TAKES: Out of Gas - ANA: 3 MTL: 1

Old
03-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
If Koivu took those 3 penalties you would have crucified him. Kovalev needs to be a lot more disciplined. That stupid hooking call at the end of the 2nd was completly uncalled for and his unsportsmanlike call to ruin our pp was also dumb. Then his penalty to take us off the pp in the 3rd, although we were likely already done.
The reflexive slack-jawed bellyaching of the anti-Koivu clique appeared in this thread even though Kovalev deserved quite a bit of blame for the result.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
THis game illustrated the talent gap between Price and Halak. Halak woiuld have been snowed under.
Hunh? How's that again? Did Halak not stop 35 of 37 last game?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Thanks but I was talking about THIS game. IMO he had to step up big time considering the Habs were shorthanded this game playing the Cup champs and he didn't. I don't think it can be disputed.
Here are your words, from the post I quoted.....
"Sorry but I'm pretty much done with Koivu."
"The guy needs a serious wake up call or he can go this summer for all I care. Hopefully he can turn it around in the playoffs or else all hope is gone for me."

That's awful harsh for ONE GAME, when he's at PPG for the past 11.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I suppose you will say give the C to Kovalev, who despite his goal was the worst player on the ice for us.
lol, ok ok, I overreacted, I was sooooooooo angry. But still, Higgins is gotta focus, he's missing a lot of passes and scoring chances.

I thought Grabovski was better than Koivu tonight.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:26 PM
RE-HABS

As bad as Montreal played on this road trip they were very lucky to come home with a split on the road to get 4 points.

Hopefully this team gets back to the basics and starts to play Montreal hockey.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
+Grabo
+A.Kost
+Price

I'd be realy curious to see lines like this....
A.Kost-Grabovski-Kovalev
Higgins-Plekanec-S.Kostitsyn

My reasoning?
-I'm now convinced Grabovski needs to play with quality players to show his talent.
-Koivu is to slow now. I think Plekanec would bring much needed speed in the middle of Higgins and S.Kostitsyn. I think there could be sparks coming from that line.
Its gonna be hard to turn koivu into the third line center of this team, its coming, but its gonna be a hard transition, maybe not next year, and if gainey signs him after next season, thats when id plant him 3rd line,

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Swap Plekanec and Grabovski. No sense breaking up a line that works well and I think Grabs will do quite well with the other Kostitsyn and Chris Higgins.

Hmmm.

A.Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Grabovski-S.Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder
Streit-Lapierre-Kostopoulos (insert Begin as needed).

You know... I really like that lineup... the Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder line was an effective combination last season, this would give us three solid scoring lines. Too bad it won't happen.

BTW, I thought Latendresse had a strong game. That goal he scored really loosened it up. The Smolinski line did a good job of forechecking.
Well A.Kost and Grabs have good Chemistry. They've played alot together. We could always keep put Plekanec back with Kovalev on the PP. But I realy think Plekanec would spark any player on his line. He's also god at maintaining the puck in the other zone.

Anyway. Either of those lines I'd be curious to see.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
All hail TheDamned!
Well I said 3-2. So ha!

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I am confident that the Habs can take both teams that they lost to in this road trip. As for tonights game, it was quite painful to watch. The Western Conference plays the most boring style of hockey. Price played very well and looks like he will be a very very good goalie. The PK was also excellent. I think our play was more of a factor of being out of gas rather than the Ducks being a vastly better team than us. And, I would like to use my Sicilian connections to alter the nature of officiating in the league.
You shouldn't be so confident. It wasn't as close as the score. Price was keeping thr Habs in the game but they were badly outplayed.

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
I agree with everything else but you have to admit this game was not exactly fair and square. We still had a shot at coming back in the game when they made it 2-1 but Streit was tripped and there was no call which resulted in a 2 on 1 and ended up being their third goal. We did take a lot of lazy penalties but it was unbelievable the amount of calls that were not called against Anaheim.
There's always calls that you wish you could've gotten and there will always be calls that you wish you didn't get. But I don't use them as excuses...

That's for Leaf fans.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
"Sorry but I'm pretty much done with Koivu."
"The guy needs a serious wake up call or he can go this summer for all I care. Hopefully he can turn it around in the playoffs or else all hope is gone for me."

That's awful harsh for ONE GAME, when he's at PPG for the past 11.
Good for him, but this is the game the team needed him the most. He's the captain, it's his job to step it up in times like these. He played 19 mins and did absolutely nothing. It's not his fault they lost but I expected much more from him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Swap Plekanec and Grabovski. No sense breaking up a line that works well and I think Grabs will do quite well with the other Kostitsyn and Chris Higgins.

Hmmm.

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

You know... I really like that lineup... the Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder line was an effective combination last season, this would give us three solid scoring lines. Too bad it won't happen.

BTW, I thought Latendresse had a strong game. That goal he scored really loosened it up. The Smolinski line did a good job of forechecking.
You know, I was actually thinking the same thing. I'd love to see Grabovski on the 2nd line with Higgins and Sergei. I think he'd be more effective than Koivu. It would be an interesting experiment. However, probably won't happen because Koivu has been palying well and thus does not really merit a demotion. Would be nice though.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
was that before or after he tripped on the blueline giving up a 2 on 1 which Markov subsequently played very poorly.
Right, sorry I forgot we lost the game and HFboard rules mean that we have to find somebody to blame.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NewHabsEra*

solid effort but some of our keys guys looked tired, especially in the third.. It hasnt been Kovy's best game of the year but he looked tired more than anything else..

I liked the way we played, we proved we can play against them, the game could have turned both side, we had few scoring chances but the ones we got were real quality, Giguere has been pretty solid..

Grabovski has been IMO our best offensive player with A.Kost, I really liked the way he played both sides of the ice and he had some nice offensive moments..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

As most of you have said, the habs looked out of gas. They were one step behind the ducks and that resulted in alot of penalty kills which also takes up alot of fuel.

On the brightside, brisebois was pretty good. I have to give kudos to him because I trash him when he fails. He used his body a couple times tonight. I wish he would do it more because he's not exactly a small guy and he's shown the ability to knock people off the puck with authority when he does it.

Price was fantastic. He kept the score respectable and gave the habs a chance to win. Cant ask for much more.

Grabovski didn;t look out of place on the 2nd line. I still dont understand why he was taken out of the lineup in the first place.

The PK was successful.

I'm still waiting to see more from higgins though. Whether he's hurt or not, he loses way too many puck battles along the boards. Winning those battles is such a big part of higgins' game.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

If there was one thing wrong with Grabovski tonight it was he was terrible on the faceoffs... 1 won out of 10

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Corey

Quote:
Sorry but I'm pretty much done with Koivu. I love the guy and all but this was his game to turn it around. It was his turn to step it up when our #1 centre was out but he didn't. The guy needs a serious wake up call or he can go this summer for all I care. Hopefully he can turn it around in the playoffs or else all hope is gone for me.

You mean he's almost as bad as Ribeiro was for the Habs? Actually, Koivu's stats are better than Ribeiro's were in 2005-06.

Old
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Habs8517

man i just want to punch the refs for messing a good game
good job Price, you kept us in the game
nice game for Grabovsky
we need a better 3rd and 4th line
they cant shutdown the opposing lines
the other team just feast on those guys

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
There's always calls that you wish you could've gotten and there will always be calls that you wish you didn't get. But I don't use them as excuses...
That's a convenient excuse to avoid speaking of the horrific officiating. You can't avoid saying "the refs sucked" when they did just because you lost. Unfortunately, it is a fact of hockey that bad officiating CAN decide a game, or at least have a large impact.

The refs also sucked big-time against the Kings on that disallowed goal, but it worked to Montreal's advantadge. I'm not sure that it decided the game in that case, but it certainly was a big hand up.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beakermania*

Quote:
Good for him, but this is the game the team needed him the most. He's the captain, it's his job to step it up in times like these. He played 19 mins and did absolutely nothing. It's not his fault they lost but I expected much more from him.
How many of those 19 minutes were spent on the PK.... I'd say a good 6-7 of them.... A PK that went 8 for 8 by the way.

Not all contributions show up on the scoresheet.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Hmmm.

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Those lines make a lot of sense really.

Ryder and Lats need a better centre, and Saku really needs to see some limited time too to get him going, he needs a reality check or wake up call...and the two players on his line of Ryder and Lats would greatly benefit playing with him over Lappy and Smoke.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Hunh? How's that again? Did Halak not stop 35 of 37 last game?
He wasn't peppered like Price. The quality of his saves was an order of magnitude better.

Old
03-09-2008, 10:34 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
How many of those 19 minutes were spent on the PK.... I'd say a good 6-7 of them.... A PK that went 8 for 8 by the way.

Not all contributions show up on the scoresheet.
Yeah I really don't get the Koivu bashing, he played a good game. I even saw someone bash Higgins. God, it's almost pathetic. Both played a solid game tonight.

I'd still like to see Grabovski on the second line with Higgins and Sergei though.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Yeah I really don't get the Koivu bashing, he played a good game. I even saw someone bash Higgins. God, it's almost pathetic. Both played a solid game tonight.

I'd still like to see Grabovski on the second line with Higgins and Sergei though.
Just call it the "third" line so people don't make a fuss about Koivu being our third line center.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Right, sorry I forgot we lost the game and HFboard rules mean that we have to find somebody to blame.
what are going on about with blame?

you said Streit played a really strong game. I disagree simple enough?

-2 4 penalty minutes in 12:29 of ice time. yeah let's hope he doesn't have anymore of those "really strong games" your talking about.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote