HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How about those lines?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
  #1
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
How about those lines?

Im starting to think about putting Pleks with Lats and Ryder taking in consideration Grabovski can keeps playing like he did tonight, its not a demotion but a way to have 3 solid lines that can generate offense.. Grabovski has to play with smart offensive players to be useful while Pleks is a more complete center that can play with more flawed wingers like Ryder and Latendresse.. You still have the opportunity to give Pleks plenty of PP and PK time..

Higgins Koivu S.Kost

A.Kost Grabovski Kovy

Lats Pleky Ryder (Lats has always had some chimestry with Pleks)

Kosto Lapierre Dandy\Begin\Smoke

That way, you have 3 solid lines that can generate offense 5 on 5.. You still have the possibility to swap S.Kostitsyn and Ryder.. (no matter the #)

Lats Pleks S.Kost

A.Kost Grabo Kovy

Higgins Koivu Ryder

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:51 PM
  #2
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Im starting to think about putting Pleks with Lats and Ryder taking in consideration Grabovski can keeps playing like he did tonight, its not a demotion but a way to have 3 solid lines that can generate offense.. Grabovski has to play with smart offensive players to be useful while Pleks is a more complete center that can play with more flawed wingers like Ryder and Latendresse.. You still have the opportunity to give Pleks plenty of PP and PK time..

Higgins Koivu S.Kost

A.Kost Grabovski Kovy

Lats Pleky Ryder (Lats has always had some chimestry with Pleks)

Kosto Lapierre Dandy\Begin\Smoke
We would have three 2nd lines with those IMO. With the current lines, we have a solid #1 and #2 lines even tho the other two bottom lines are useless. I wouldn't mind trying those lines if we clinch N-E, but I guess we would have to wait for the last game of the season.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:53 PM
  #3
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
I really didn't think Grabo was that outstanding.... We are more dangerous keeping the first line together IMO....

Should Grabs be in the lineup?? Yes
Centring the first line? NO

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:53 PM
  #4
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Put Grabby with Higgins and Sergei, and Koivu with Lats and Ryder and yup, I think that would be solid. We should not take Plek out of the first line.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
  #5
Canuck71
Registered User
 
Canuck71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,324
vCash: 500
Leave the A.Kost - Pleks - Kovy line together, they have been stellar all season.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
  #6
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Put Grabby with Higgins and Sergei, and Koivu with Lats and Ryder and yup, I think that would be solid. We should not take Plek out of the first line.
Exactly what i'm thinking.

Plekanecs line has been GREAT all year, don't even touch them.

Koivu had success with Latendresse and Ryder last year and has been doing nothing with Higgins.

Grabovski - S Kost - Higgins would be a great line based on speed. Grabs needs to play with skilled players and Higgins would be able to help out defensively and hopefully be able to regain his scoring touch.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
  #7
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Leave the top line alone, tinker with the 2nd and 3rd though...Ryder with 5 minutes tonight and Lats with 8 need some icetime and need a centre.

Like Math Man said in a previous post, put Grabs with Kosty Jr and Higgins and Suke with Ryder and Lats, leave the top line alone and see how it goes.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:08 PM
  #8
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skar67 View Post
in before the lock
Why would there be a lock?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
  #9
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I really didn't think Grabo was that outstanding.... We are more dangerous keeping the first line together IMO....

Should Grabs be in the lineup?? Yes
Centring the first line? NO
I agree ...


but given his attitude problems lately, he had to play well today... we'll have to see him play for a couple of games... to see if he can play without kovy by his side...

we missed plek ... and got called too many penalties.. it could have been a great game...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
  #10
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Honestly...The lines I'd see working the most are;

Higgins - Plekanec - A.Kost (A.Kost in his natural position, Higgins with Plekanec duo)
S.Kost - Grabo/Koivu - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu/Grabo - Ryder
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopolous

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:16 PM
  #11
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I really didn't think Grabo was that outstanding.... We are more dangerous keeping the first line together IMO....

Should Grabs be in the lineup?? Yes
Centring the first line? NO
I think it was by far his best game of the season.. He was using his speed and stickhandling skills extremely well, looked confident on the ice, thats the first sign you have to note.. We will see but I really liked the kid tonight against the best defense in the league..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:22 PM
  #12
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I think it was by far his best game of the season.. He was using his speed and stickhandling skills extremely well, looked confident on the ice, thats the first sign you have to note.. We will see but I really liked the kid tonight against the best defense in the league..
He was good tonight no doubt, but I still think Pleks is the better player to have on that line.... They have developped tremendous chemistry this season and i think you have to continue to take advantage of that.... I also think Pleks is still a much better player, and lets not underestimate his 2-way play. The 2 way play of Pleks and Kovy allows us to go power vs power with that line, as we don't have a true checking line.

They are a top line in the league, if they are all healthy there is no way i want to break them up this close to the playoffs.... NOt to put Grabs there, not to put the bros together, not to move AKost to his natural RW position... not for anything.

Sure if things are going bad in a game we can switch some things up in the third; or if you wanna try some new combos next year in camp, i'm fine with that, but right now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also in your original post you don't have Streit in the lineup.... He's gotta be there for his PP contribution.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:41 PM
  #13
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
He was good tonight no doubt, but I still think Pleks is the better player to have on that line.... They have developped tremendous chemistry this season and i think you have to continue to take advantage of that.... I also think Pleks is still a much better player, and lets not underestimate his 2-way play. The 2 way play of Pleks and Kovy allows us to go power vs power with that line, as we don't have a true checking line.

They are a top line in the league, if they are all healthy there is no way i want to break them up this close to the playoffs.... NOt to put Grabs there, not to put the bros together, not to move AKost to his natural RW position... not for anything.

Sure if things are going bad in a game we can switch some things up in the third; or if you wanna try some new combos next year in camp, i'm fine with that, but right now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also in your original post you don't have Streit in the lineup.... He's gotta be there for his PP contribution.
Who currs honestly? The Higgins - Plekanec - A.Kost line was broken up, even though you couldn't really improve that line. Sometimes it's good to break up a line.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:46 PM
  #14
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Who currs honestly? The Higgins - Plekanec - A.Kost line was broken up, even though you couldn't really improve that line. Sometimes it's good to break up a line.
Its different when its done in training camp.... sometimes chemistry doesn't always translate year to year.... See Ryder and Koivu who've been great together and can't play together any more.... But mixing things up when the team is going good is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:51 PM
  #15
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
He was good tonight no doubt, but I still think Pleks is the better player to have on that line.... They have developped tremendous chemistry this season and i think you have to continue to take advantage of that.... I also think Pleks is still a much better player, and lets not underestimate his 2-way play. The 2 way play of Pleks and Kovy allows us to go power vs power with that line, as we don't have a true checking line.

They are a top line in the league, if they are all healthy there is no way i want to break them up this close to the playoffs.... NOt to put Grabs there, not to put the bros together, not to move AKost to his natural RW position... not for anything.

Sure if things are going bad in a game we can switch some things up in the third; or if you wanna try some new combos next year in camp, i'm fine with that, but right now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also in your original post you don't have Streit in the lineup.... He's gotta be there for his PP contribution.
Forgot about Streit.. He sure is in my line-up..

No doubt Pleks is the better of the 2, he is just way more complete no doubt and I always praised his solid 2 way game.. But tonight what I noticed is that Grabs made an incredible job between Kostitsyn and a Kovy not at his best, that line generated a couple of quality scoring chances and was pretty decent defensively, it was an effective line with alot of offensive creativity.. Lets say you keep that line intact for the next few games and they give us the same kind of performance as tonight, you have there suddenly a couple of nice options offered to you.. As great as Pleks has been this year, as great as this line has done so far this season, you are always looking to get better as a team and if you have the possibility to have 3 lines clicking and generating alot of offense, its becoming tougher for the other teams to play you.. Personally I cant see Grabovski last long on a third line centering guys like Ryder, Latendresse, Dandeneault while Pleks is clicking with everyone, if you cant play with Plekanec, your place isnt in the NHL..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:01 AM
  #16
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Its different when its done in training camp.... sometimes chemistry doesn't always translate year to year.... See Ryder and Koivu who've been great together and can't play together any more.... But mixing things up when the team is going good is a recipe for disaster IMO.
What are you talking about training camp? Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn was never tried in training camp nor this season and A.Kost - Plekanec - Kovalev wasn't tried in training camp either. IIRC, none of the current lines were tested in training camp.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
  #17
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
How about Ryder in a garbage can?

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:07 AM
  #18
ryanghg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
How about Ryder in a garbage can?
genius

ryanghg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:26 AM
  #19
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
What are you talking about training camp? Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn was never tried in training camp nor this season and A.Kost - Plekanec - Kovalev wasn't tried in training camp either. IIRC, none of the current lines were tested in training camp.
Higgins - Plekanec - Kosty played together at the end of last season IIRC, it was broken up in the offseason.... What I was saying is not about testing lines in training camp, but more about the timing of when you break up a line that is working to try other combos...

If you wanna try other combos early in the season, or whatever fine.... you dont break up lines that are working well with only a dozen or so games before the playoffs when you sit in 2nd in the conference. Thats the difference IMO.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:27 AM
  #20
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Grabovski hasn't done anything to warrant a full time job on this team.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:35 AM
  #21
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Grabovski hasn't done anything to warrant a full time job on this team.
Tonight he sure proved he deserves another shot with good wingers..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 01:00 AM
  #22
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Grabovski hasn't done anything to warrant a full time job on this team.
Being able to generate at least 3 great scoring chances every game (since his call up) by himslef should be enough to deserve the 3rd line spot...

His defensive gae is near catastrophe, but he brings a lot of great scring chances.. and could score on a regular basis with a little luck.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 01:18 AM
  #23
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Higgins - Plekanec - Kosty played together at the end of last season IIRC, it was broken up in the offseason.... What I was saying is not about testing lines in training camp, but more about the timing of when you break up a line that is working to try other combos...

If you wanna try other combos early in the season, or whatever fine.... you dont break up lines that are working well with only a dozen or so games before the playoffs when you sit in 2nd in the conference. Thats the difference IMO.
Only 1 line is working well though. Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev has been a great line in the past, as has Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn.

Higgins absolutely needs Plekanec at this moment, and we absolutely need Higgins to produce.

I'm not at all worried about Kostitsyn producing without Plekanec or Kovalev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Being able to generate at least 3 great scoring chances every game (since his call up) by himslef should be enough to deserve the 3rd line spot...

His defensive gae is near catastrophe, but he brings a lot of great scring chances.. and could score on a regular basis with a little luck.
Why do people talk **** about his defensive game? I think he's looked very good defensively. He's got a very active stick and has pick pocketed a ton of players recently.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-10-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
  #24
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Only 1 line is working well though. Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev has been a great line in the past, as has Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn.

Higgins absolutely needs Plekanec at this moment, and we absolutely need Higgins to produce.

I'm not at all worried about Kostitsyn producing without Plekanec or Kovalev.

Why do people talk **** about his defensive game? I think he's looked very good defensively. He's got a very active stick and has pick pocketed a ton of players recently.
Thats the first game where I think he was pretty decent defensively..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:36 AM
  #25
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Only 1 line is working well though. Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev has been a great line in the past, as has Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn.

Higgins absolutely needs Plekanec at this moment, and we absolutely need Higgins to produce.

I'm not at all worried about Kostitsyn producing without Plekanec or Kovalev.

Why do people talk **** about his defensive game? I think he's looked very good defensively. He's got a very active stick and has pick pocketed a ton of players recently.
I wasn't totally bashing his defence... I'm just saying Pleks is better defensively (you won't find many to disagree with that). We have no true checking line anymore... Smokes is just not getting the job done as Bonk's replacement, and I'd like to see Chipchura up in his place... However I don't think we can call 21 year old Chipchura the shut down checking centre we need either (not today anyway, but he'll get there).

I like leaving Pleks with Kovy, cause right now Pleks and Kovy are both playing great in their own end, as well as the offensive end of the ice. I say we take this line and go Strength vs Strength with them.... Use them as the matchup against other teams top lines. Dare them to play us this way, or else reduce the icetime of their number 1 line as the pull them off the ice everytime our number 1 line comes out.

As far as only one line working well..... they all aren't gonna be first lines... i've thought Saku has played well 11pts in his last 12games (including getting shutout tonight, so he was PPG for at least 3 weeks before that)..... Him and SKost have started to connect in my mind....

Some might think that perhaps a AKost-Higgins flip is a possibility here to continue to improve the defence on the Kovy-Pleks line and get the bros together. However I don't wanna do this... Kovy and Pleks really took off when AKost was put on their line, and I still don't wanna mess with that.

I wouldnt be totally against moving higgins though... perhaps

Lats - Koivu - Skost
Higgins - Grabo - Ryder
Streit - Lapierre - Kosto/Dandy/Smoke/Begin

or
Skost - koivu -ryder
Higgins - Grabo - Streit
Lats - Lapierre - K/D/S/B

I really like the look of that first set....


Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-10-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.