HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Star Player?

Old
03-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Big Star Player?

Montreal always wanted that big star player. Could that "big star" player come from within the organization?

First example: A.Kostitsyn becoming a player like Marian Hossa. Great wrist shot, speed, power, good balance, good stick handling. They are about the same size with Hossa being 6-1 210 lbs and A. Kost being 6-0 and 205 lbs. A. Kostitsyn in his "first" real year is probably going to finish with 50 pts. Hossa had 56 and 75 pts in his 2nd and 3rd year respectively. Can we expect 60-65 pts from A. Kostitsyn next year? I'm pretty sure that's highly possible. A. Kostitsyn got drafted 10th overall and Hossa got drafted 12th overall.

Second example: Plekanek is probably going to finish around 70 pts this year. If he plays next year with Kovalev and A. Kostitsyn again, can we expect about 80 pts for Plekanec. Considering the possibility of a A. Kostitsyn being a better player and assuming Kovalev is playing like he's playing this season? Probably too right? I compare Plekanec to Marc Savard. They have the same size (according to TSN.ca) of 5-10 196 lbs. I think Savard has better offensive instincts (creating plays) but Plekanec is a faster skater. Pleks got drafted 71st overall and Savard got drafted 91st overall.

Last example: S. Kostitsyn is a great stick handler and very creative with the puck. He can either finish or set-up plays. Probably going to finish with 25 pts in 50 games. He reminds me a lot of Pavel Datsyuk. Datsyuk got 30 pts in 70 games in his rookie season. He was playing behind Fedorov and Yzerman @ that time. Second year, he had 51 pts in 64 games mostly because Yzerman was injured for 3/4 of the season. Third year, he was Detroit's leading scorers with 68 pts in 75 games. He was playing on Detroit first line with Brett Hull and Henrik Zetterberg because Fedorov left for Anaheim as an UFA. Datsyuk took 4 full years to become the player he's right now. S. Kost is 5-11 190 lbs and Datsyuk is 5-10 197 lbs. S. Kost was drafted 200th overall and Datsyuk 171st overall. Can we expect S. Kost to reach 50-60 pts if he plays on Montreal first two lines with time on the PP by the end of his 3rd year? I honestly think so.

Overall, for my 3 examples, I'm not saying that the player mentioned will be as good or even better than their corresponding comparison. All I'm saying is that the comparison are legit in my honest opinion. Only time will tell if the comparison were correct or not but I can be just optimist with the young talent that we have here in Montreal.

Last edited by Kachino: 03-10-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Hochelaga*

vCash: 500
Andrei Kostitsyn will be a superstar , that is all.
Plekanec will always be a good player , andrei will be a great player.
Sign him long term at 4m per year would be a good investmant im pretty sure of it.
Hes not slowing down and he was SUPPOSE to be that kind of player , he is showing this right now , cest sur que cest pas un feu de paille.
Explosif ect...sign him.and sign his bro
sign komi and sign plekanec
extend kovy plz

Hochelaga* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Brisk-Illusion

I agree with most of what you said, but the drafting order comparisons are useless. Just because a player was drafted in a certain round mean he's going to be better or worse than another one picked in another spot. (or else Jason Ward would be better than Hossa )

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but the drafting order comparisons are useless. Just because a player was drafted in a certain round mean he's going to be better or worse than another one picked in another spot. (or else Jason Ward would be better than Hossa )
yeah exactly drafts are crap shoots

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I think he tried to point out that drafting ranks are not relevant after the draft. The best examples are Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
guapo23

On ething I've noticed is that Sergei has a very interesting style of skating & stickhandling.

He stickhandles the puck tight to his body & skates really hard.

Other players who skate like this include Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Fischer.

Has anybody else noticed this ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
On ething I've noticed is that Sergei has a very interesting style of skating & stickhandling.

He stickhandles the puck tight to his body & skates really hard.

Other players who skate like this include Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Fischer.

Yes, Afinogenov used to as well. S Kost is freaking amazing, it takes a lot of skill to stickhandle while accelerating. Take Koivu for example, he just takes up a wide stance and floats around with the puck on his stick.

edit: I just remembered, when Koivu scored the winner in our last shoot out, he almost fell backwards while deeking the goalie using that same leg positioning.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Habs12max

Andrei Kostitsyn seems to be the one that could most likely turn into a star. He has the skills...

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 11:46 AM
#eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
I have, he always reminds me of Ovechkin with his puckhandling style when he gets the puck.

#eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
paddy

actually I think Sergei stickhandles a little to much. He could do it less and be more effective. He has to learn to be more economical in certain situations. He sometimes loses that fraction of a second needed at the pro level to get a good shot or pass off because he was too busy dangling with the puck.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn seems to be the one that could most likely turn into a star. He has the skills...

I think he'll reach the star level and perhaps exceed expectations,but it'll might take more time and he has some things to work on to get to that level.

Andrei has the talent,has great technical skills and shooting arsenal(accuracy)and great physical strength.But right now he's a pretty good complement to his line,like Vanek but only less important.With good players surrounding him,he's got the perfect skills to finish any play and contribute substantially offensively.That's basically what's been happening.He's not the one creating and generating the offense,he's completing/complementing Pleks and Kovy,in a similar position last year on the kid line.I have some issues about his role,I think he's a passive offensive player now.I'm curious to see how he'll react when he'll be the guy who carries the load offensively.A.Kost needs to polish his game without the puck,especially in the offensive zone.He's remarkable with the puck,but has a lot to learn how to function without it.

Not discrediting him,I appreciate Andrei and I think he has both the talent and the character to succeed,he has just a lot to learn and improve on.I'm fairly confident he'll be a excellent player.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 03-10-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Namso

I have to agree that the only superstar I see is A.Kost. He has it all.

Pleks and S.Kost will be good two-way players, but I just dont see the superstardom in them.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
I have to agree that the only superstar I see is A.Kost. He has it all.

Pleks and S.Kost will be good two-way players, but I just dont see the superstardom in them.
I don't see how you're underestimating both Pleks and S.Kost.Plekanec has established himself as the best centreman this year,and he's already pased the complimentary center stage since January 2007.He has contributed a lot,he's got everything you want in a center minus the huge size.His vision is excellent,he's an excellent goalscorer with a good shooting arsenal,fast,intense,great defensively,effective on the PK and the PP.He's already in the upper tier category when it comes to his play without the puck.He's a feisty and smart player who displays a solid work ethic.

S.Kost....let's talk about his game.First of all,his great vision and hockey sense,great instincts,and a efficient player without the puck as much with it.He plays like a center in the offensive zone,knows where to be,to go,he anticipes,hits,finds open lames and knows how to use his linemates.He's got a great character,fearless and got good puckhandling skills,agility and a great wrist shot(though he could have a better release)Of course he's not flawess,he still needs to add mass on his frame and utilize his shooting arsenal more efficiently.But his flaws aren't certainly as clear as most players of his age as he possesses a superb combinaison of skills and hockey smarts.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 03-10-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Sergei Kostitsyn will be our MAJOR STAR surrounded by other STARS in Plekanec, Higgins, Andrei, and Grabovski.

Mark my words, Kosty Jr will be the next Canadien to hit 100 PTS.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
sood07

yep MTL has a good young core right now, + the veteran presence in kovalev in koivu. which is why they're doing so well right now. i think with a little more grit and better defence they could be be an elite NHL team in the years to come, given the players you mentioned improve. right now though, they are just classified as a team thats doing well at this point.

sood07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn will be our MAJOR STAR surrounded by other STARS in Plekanec, Higgins, Andrei, and Grabovski.

Mark my words, Kosty Jr will be the next Canadien to hit 100 PTS.
He might become a 100-pt producer.I see in him a lot of a young Alfredsson during his career with the caracteristics he shows.

Old
03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Sergei reminds me of Sergei Berezin as far as skating style. I remember how much I liked Berezin's unorthodox style. Except that Berezin generated absolutly zero(and had no drive). lol

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Sergei reminds me of Sergei Berezin as far as skating style. I remember how much I liked Berezin's unorthodox style. Except that Berezin generated absolutly zero(and had no drive). lol
Maybe but I haven't seen Berezin often,so I don't know if your comparaison is accurate.

Old
03-10-2008, 02:36 PM
AD

Potential stars on our team: A Kost or C Price.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yeah, he does skate a bit like Sergei Berezin. Not as much a puck hog though and he doesn't have tunnel vision either. I'll never understand how marginal player become so productive when they get on the Leafs, the guy scored 37 goals with Yannic Perreault of all people.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Slippy13

idk, Kosty Jr reminds me of Samsonov in the way he handles the puck. Crouched over, puck close to his body.

When making comparisons including Kosty Jr, we have to keep in mind the kid is 20y/o with a whopping 40 games of nhl experience. Judging by the way he picked up the game, he is giving his brother a run for his money while being 2 years younger and having 2.5X less experience. I can't wait to see him progress in the future.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Potential stars on our team: A Kost or C Price.
And why shouldn't S.K be considered a potential star exactly?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
And why shouldn't S.K be considered a potential star exactly?
S.K's ceiling looks lower than A.K's

Love both of them. But A.K.'s pure skills have me drooling.

Old
03-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
S.K's ceiling looks lower than A.K's

Love both of them. But A.K.'s pure skills have me drooling.
Hockey sense, vision >>>>>>>>>>>pure hockey skills. We've went through this already mr D.

In all honesty though, I like both Kostitsyns potential a lot. I would bet on Sergei to become the better player, but I wouldn't bet a whole lot, because I like a lot of things about Andrei's game.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 03:22 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
Hockey sense, vision >>>>>>>>>>>pure hockey skills. We've went through this already mr D.

In all honesty though, I like both Kostitsyns potential a lot. I would bet on Sergei to become the better player, but I wouldn't bet a whole lot, because I like a lot of things about Andrei's game.
Yes yes, I know.

And you almost convinced me.

I'll be rooting for both fom now on.

Boy would I love to see SK get another late growth spurt.