HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Star Player?

Old
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Next Best Thing*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Yes yes, I know.

And you almost convinced me.

I'll be rooting for both fom now on.

Boy would I love to see SK get another late growth spurt.
Those were my thoughts exactly but he's 5'11 to Andrei's 6' and 5lbs lighter, and two years younger

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Home Grown baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Those were my thoughts exactly but he's 5'11 to Andrei's 6' and 5lbs lighter, and two years younger
I know that might be what ever numbers they give us but may god strike me dead if he isnt a good 20lbs lighter. 5pds lighter if he drinks 15pds of water before the weigh-in.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-10-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
actually I think Sergei stickhandles a little to much. He could do it less and be more effective. He has to learn to be more economical in certain situations. He sometimes loses that fraction of a second needed at the pro level to get a good shot or pass off because he was too busy dangling with the puck.
Yeah, you might be right. That's what NHL seasons down the road will help him correct that and help him become a better player.

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochelaga View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn will be a superstar , that is all.
Plekanec will always be a good player , andrei will be a great player.
Sign him long term at 4m per year would be a good investmant im pretty sure of it.
Hes not slowing down and he was SUPPOSE to be that kind of player , he is showing this right now , cest sur que cest pas un feu de paille.
Explosif ect...sign him.and sign his bro
sign komi and sign plekanec
extend kovy plz
It's unbelievable how this board changes opinions. I remember the hot debates earlier this season when I and others said AKost should play with Pleks and Kovy. No way!!...he needs to prove he should be up on the top line. He was a bust...a loser that didn't make the players around him better and a general waste of time. Fast forward to now and AKost is not only valuable he is our ONLY possible superstar!! He went from an undeserving bust to the only chance of a bonafide superstar!! LOL!!

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:10 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
It's unbelievable how this board changes opinions. I remember the hot debates earlier this season when I and others said AKost should play with Pleks and Kovy. No way!!...he needs to prove he should be up on the top line. He was a bust...a loser that didn't make the players around him better and a general waste of time. Fast forward to now and AKost is not only valuable he is our ONLY possible superstar!! He went from an undeserving bust to the only chance of a bonafide superstar!! LOL!!
Kosty Jr > Kosty Sr.

Also Price and Halak are both potential superstars.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:31 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Kosty Jr > Kosty Sr.

Also Price and Halak are both potential superstars.
Depends on the situation.

Andrei Kostitsyn will always have higher regular season point totals.

Sergei Kostitsyn will always have higher play-off point totals.

That's the way I see 'em.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

I don't see it that way at all.

Sergei has better vision, better overall play, in my opinion he has a better shot..

Essentially Sergei is a "advanced" Andrei in terms of overall skill.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 08:48 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:

Sergei has better vision, better overall play, in my opinion he has a better shot..

Sergei draws back into the play, Andrei attacks and integrates himself into higher traffic areas more than Sergei.

We'll see how Sergei develops, if he shoots more, he has the potential to be a bigger scorer than his brother. But Andrei seems more explosive of the two, there are moments where he decides he wants to go through the other team and score, which he does. Sergei doesn't seem to have that same elusiveness against defenders.

Old
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Kosti46

On 8-30-07 I predicted that A. Kostitsyn would score more than 20 goals for the Habs this year. He has done exactly that. He has the skills to become a star and perhaps a super star. With good linemates he could score 40 or more goals next year.

This guy is a very exciting player to watch.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosti46 View Post
On 8-30-07 I predicted that A. Kostitsyn would score more than 20 goals for the Habs this year. He has done exactly that. He has the skills to become a star and perhaps a super star. With good linemates he could score 40 or more goals next year.

I predicted a 70 point season for Plekanec, seems like I'll be right.

Old
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
MM425

IMO out of all our forwards, Sergei Kostisyn has the most potential to be a star in the league.

With his skills and hockey sense and providing he continues to develop, I think we're looking at a guy who has 80-90 point potential.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Kudos to you for having foreseen that. I remember that in 2003, A. Kostitsyn was supposed to go top 5 if he didn't had medical issues with epilepsy. He was on fire @ the WJC with Belarus. Andre Savard took a chance with him. It's true that he took more time than other players drafted before or after him but I'm pretty glad that the Habs have him in their line-up.

Not everybody has the patience or the vision to see the potential of a player. In this day and age, everybody wants to see results as soon as possible. Kudos to the Habs for not trading anyone of our current core players during the last years especially during trade deadline or during the off-season in order to get either a rental player or an impact player.

Old
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosti46 View Post

Kind of like Thomas Vanek who had 25 and 43 goals for his first and second year respectively? That could happen if he's playing with good line mates. I'm expecting 30 goals & 30 assists for next year. For sure he's a very exciting player to watch.

Old
03-11-2008, 12:20 AM
kostitsyn fan

after 3 year, i expect 25-35 goals and 40-60 assists! mark my words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
Montreal always wanted that big star player. Could that "big star" player come from within the organization?

First example: A.Kostitsyn becoming a player like Marian Hossa. Great wrist shot, speed, power, good balance, good stick handling. They are about the same size with Hossa being 6-1 210 lbs and A. Kost being 6-0 and 205 lbs. A. Kostitsyn in his "first" real year is probably going to finish with 50 pts. Hossa had 56 and 75 pts in his 2nd and 3rd year respectively. Can we expect 60-65 pts from A. Kostitsyn next year? I'm pretty sure that's highly possible. A. Kostitsyn got drafted 10th overall and Hossa got drafted 12th overall.

Second example: Plekanek is probably going to finish around 70 pts this year. If he plays next year with Kovalev and A. Kostitsyn again, can we expect about 80 pts for Plekanec. Considering the possibility of a A. Kostitsyn being a better player and assuming Kovalev is playing like he's playing this season? Probably too right? I compare Plekanec to Marc Savard. They have the same size (according to TSN.ca) of 5-10 196 lbs. I think Savard has better offensive instincts (creating plays) but Plekanec is a faster skater. Pleks got drafted 71st overall and Savard got drafted 91st overall.

Last example: S. Kostitsyn is a great stick handler and very creative with the puck. He can either finish or set-up plays. Probably going to finish with 25 pts in 50 games. He reminds me a lot of Pavel Datsyuk. Datsyuk got 30 pts in 70 games in his rookie season. He was playing behind Fedorov and Yzerman @ that time. Second year, he had 51 pts in 64 games mostly because Yzerman was injured for 3/4 of the season. Third year, he was Detroit's leading scorers with 68 pts in 75 games. He was playing on Detroit first line with Brett Hull and Henrik Zetterberg because Fedorov left for Anaheim as an UFA. Datsyuk took 4 full years to become the player he's right now. S. Kost is 5-11 190 lbs and Datsyuk is 5-10 197 lbs. S. Kost was drafted 200th overall and Datsyuk 171st overall. Can we expect S. Kost to reach 50-60 pts if he plays on Montreal first two lines with time on the PP by the end of his 3rd year? I honestly think so.

Overall, for my 3 examples, I'm not saying that the player mentioned will be as good or even better than their corresponding comparison. All I'm saying is that the comparison are legit in my honest opinion. Only time will tell if the comparison were correct or not but I can be just optimist with the young talent that we have here in Montreal.

kostitsyn fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Kenny Powders

Plekanec remind me a lot of Chris Drury.

Seems to have same size, same strengh and weakness. They are good both ways, good wrister, same stride.. excellent vision etcetc

it's a carbon copy of drury IMO.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Erika

I've said before and I will say it again, Sergei Kostitsyn will be better than Andrei Kostitsyn, mark my words !!

Andrei will be a star, but Sergei will be THE SUPERSTAR !!

Andrei Kostitsyn points prediction in his prime: 40 goals - 40 assists = 80 points (better goal scoring ability)
Sergei Kostitsyn points prediction in his prime: 25 goals - 65 assists = 90 points (better overall hockey sense)

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Hochelaga*

Quote:

Its not an opinion im saying , Andrei have the better shot and BY FAR.
Please look more closely before saying some stuff like that.

Also , the passing abilities of Andrei is underrated.

And Andrei is simply a better player than his younger brother but I can understand some people like Sergei the most.

But it is truly easy to see Andrei is better , its not an opinion or anything , just a fact.

ALSO , DONT FORGET ANDREI IS NOT PLAYING IN HIS POSITION ( RW )

Put him RW and youll see a superstar very soon.

Andrei is better than Sergei but Sergei is very good too.

But people saying Sergei will make 100 pts are too optimistic , people sayingAndrei could hit 100 pts are more realistic.

Hochelaga* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM
snakeye

I don't know about you guys, but I think Plekanec has just as much chance of becoming a superstar as Andrei Kostitsyn. He's not the most skilled and doesn't have the greatest shot, but he always seems to do the right thing on the ice. He's a very smart player, I compare him to an offensive version of Markov. Very effective without having to overwork and without having to play an extremely physical game. He also surprised a lot of us by scoring so many goals. He's going to score 30 this season, and with good line mates in the future, I could see him scoring even more.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 01:00 AM
#44_delivers

price = legend

a.k = star-superstar

pleks, s.k = star

*this is what i think/hope

i think latendresse may slowly develop into a very valuable power forward for us as well.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
On ething I've noticed is that Sergei has a very interesting style of skating & stickhandling.

He stickhandles the puck tight to his body & skates really hard.

Other players who skate like this include Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Fischer.

Has anybody else noticed this ?
Im gonna agree with everything the original poster said

But Fischer, Sergei reminds me a slightly smaller Mike Fischer, , and mike fischer is amazing man, i think sergei will be more offensive than fischer, less defensive

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Ehhhh, im gonna go with

Andrei Kostitsyn will score more Goals

Sergei Kostitsyn will score more Points

i beleive someone else stated this also

Old
03-11-2008, 02:54 AM
marvelousmotion

We already have our big star player in Kovalev right now. He's aging however and it's fair to say that Andrei Kostitsyn is eventually going to replace him in the long run.

A.Kost has a terrific combination of speed, shot, vision and stickhandling. He also knows how to deke his way to the net and has that ability to become a very hard player to contain in one-on-one situations, just like Kovalev was. The set of tools he poccess is unmatched by any other player in our organization right now, he's the only one with "star" material IMO.

It's funny how people already see Sergei as being the better point producer of the two. He does not have the natural talent his older brother has. It's fair to say that he's going to be the more complete player, because he has more defensive awareness and plays better positional hockey, however, in terms of offensive prowess, Andrei is far ahead. The younger Kostitsyn can score goals too, no doubt, but he's not going to score the kind of goals his older brother can that makes the crowd go "wow".

Claiming that Sergei is a better passer or shooter than Andrei is not accurate either. The older brother is just as good, if not better in those departments. People tend to underestimate Andrei's passing abilities. The only claim we can make about Sergei being better than Andrei is that the younger Kostitsyn is more complete at the moment, playing a smart and safer hockey.

Bottom line, they play a very different game and are hard to compare.. I like both players and I don't see the point going into a "who is better" debate. The answer simply depends on what kind of player you like more.. in order words, "who you prefer".

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Hochelaga*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post
We already have our big star player in Kovalev right now. He's aging however and it's fair to say that Andrei Kostitsyn is eventually going to replace him in the long run.

A.Kost has a terrific combination of speed, shot, vision and stickhandling. He also knows how to deke his way to the net and has that ability to become a very hard player to contain in one-on-one situations, just like Kovalev was. The set of tools he poccess is unmatched by any other player in our organization right now, he's the only one with "star" material IMO.

It's funny how people already see Sergei as being the better point producer of the two. He does not have the natural talent his older brother has. It's fair to say that he's going to be the more complete player, because he has more defensive awareness and plays better positional hockey, however, in terms of offensive prowess, Andrei is far ahead. The younger Kostitsyn can score goals too, no doubt, but he's not going to score the kind of goals his older brother can that makes the crowd go "wow".

Claiming that Sergei is a better passer or shooter than Andrei is not accurate either. The older brother is just as good, if not better in those departments. People tend to underestimate Andrei's passing abilities. The only claim we can make about Sergei being better than Andrei is that the younger Kostitsyn is more complete at the moment, playing a smart and safer hockey.

Bottom line, they play a very different game and are hard to compare.. I like both players and I don't see the point going into a "who is better" debate. The answer simply depends on what kind of player you like more.. in order words, "who you prefer".
Totally agree with you my friend , I can see you know your Hockey.
It is really amazing how people think Sergei is better than his brother while hes obv not.Its not an opinion its a fact as far as im concerned.
And hes playing LW but hes a natural RW.Watch out when Kovy is gonna retire or A.Kos is gonna play RW on another line.
I can understand why people prefer sergei but talent-wise andrei is better.
You know whats good in all that? We have the 2

Hochelaga* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:

Seriously, its not whos better, its who do you like more, we should all consider ourselves lucky that they are BOTH on our team, and the fact they are together, only makes them both better players, not because they help each other ON the ice, but because they are happy together OFF the ice

Old
03-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Im just gonna say

Its ridiculous to think "andrei kostitsyn" is going to replace kovalev ..because kostitsyn and kovalev already play together, so when kovalev is gone, ..kostitsyn aint gonna play both of pleks wings... but Sergei Kostitsyn, is the one going to be replacing kovalev, and to think, thats still in another YEAR from now, when Sergei will be 22 and already 2 years of NHL under his belt! , that lines gonna be Dan- Ge- Rous....