HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is this deal worth it? (goalie pads)

Old
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
cmcdmania

vCash: 500
Is this deal worth it? (goalie pads)

So I'm looking to buying my first set of goalie gear. The following are found on eBay but I don't know which is a good deal. I've asked at the GSBB but no one replied. And a bunch of the ones I listed already ended.

All prices are including s&h.

1. 29" CCM Heaton 10 pads, matching glove & blocker, chest protector, pants, helmet & helmet bag. $370. Ends Mar-10-08 12:22:36 PDT
This comes with mostly everything I'd need to play. Except I don't know if the price is good. I know the pads can be used to play roller/ice, as Brodeur told me.

2. TPS Louisville IceCap Full Set 31" Pads & Blocker & Glove. $340. Ends Mar-10-08 18:32:56 PDT

3. TPS X-Hale Goalie Pads 29". $130. Ends Mar-11-08 10:19:37 PDT

4. Goalie Leg Pads Boddam 30"x11". $110. Ends Mar-12-08 11:57:07 PDT

5. Bauer Supreme Pro Int Ice Hockey Goalie Pads 29" +1. $192. Ends Mar-12-08 14:30:15 PDT. Though I would rather not go above $150 for pads.

6. ITECH 4.8 PROFILE Ice Hockey Youth Goalie Leg Pads 30". $150. Ends Mar-12-08 23:19:46 PDT

*7. Used TPS Exhale goal pads 31" Used TPS Exhale trapper, Used TPS Contour blocker, Used Brian's Kevlar mask with Cat's Eye cage. $150. Ends Mar-14-08 14:19:04 PDT
A good price for what is included?

8. 29" Heaton Goalie Leg Pads Helite-Z series. $122. Ends Mar-15-08 16:39:59 PDT

9. 29' Mckenney 455 goalie pads. $125. Ends Mar-15-08 20:47:42 PDT

*10. RBK 5K 29" Leg Pads, Junior Size Glove & Blocker (used). $175. Ends Mar-16-08 18:11:48 PDT
Good price? I'm guessing so.

*11. Vaughn V-Lite Pro Goalie Pads 30". $30. Ends Mar-19-08 12:16:15 PDT
For this price, it's the best, and hopefully, it won't get bidded on a lot. But I don't know about the pads. Can they hold up in ice/roller?

12. Vaughn VPG 4000 Legacy Goalie Pads 30". $180. Ends Mar-19-08 12:30:09 PDT

I would really love it if I got a bunch of people telling me which one to get. The ones with the * are the ones I'm considering over the others.
Thanks!

cmcdmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
The Goaltending Guru

Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
Personally, I think #1 sounds like your best option. I mean, face it...that's an amazing price for a full set of every piece that you need. $370? Can't beat that.

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
JumboJoe19
Hank027

#10 deal

JumboJoe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Deal #1 is an absolutely ridiculous steal. All of that equipment together would cost well over $1,000.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
How tall are you? 29-30" is a very short pad. Probably for someone <5'2".

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
cmcdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
How tall are you? 29-30" is a very short pad. Probably for someone <5'2".
I'm around 5'. 5'1" on good days.

Old
03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Do NOT buy the RBK stuff. There is a reason why those are so cheap.

My buddy bought those pads new last year and they are total junk. He bought them because it was a insane deal on new pads. Guess what? He's paying for it now. Alot of the straps broke and the stiching is all coming out. He is only on the ice 3 days a week at the most and they are falling apart on him. He looks at me in the a set of 4 year old Vaughns in perfect shape and is kicking himself for not buying good pads. Granted, my Vaughns were almost 4x the price of RBK's but it's worth every penny. I can't stand seeing all these Pro's wearing RBK beacuse they are truely a bad product in every way. Vaughn cares about their product and the goalies that wear them. I will forever be a buyer of Vaughn products. All pros that wear Vaughns in the NHL do so by personal choice, not by throwing a huge contract at them. Customer service is top notch, when I ordered my stuff I went straight to them, no middle men and told them what I wanted. They delieved and exceeded everything I asked for. I can call them anytime if I have a problem with any of my gear and they will help me. Try calling RBK and telling them you have a problem.

(Also be careful about the cat-eye cage, it's illegal in ALOT of leagues and I tend to shy away from those just because of safety reasons.)

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:44 PM
cmcdmania

Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to go with #1. And the helmet doesn't have the cat-eye cage. Here's what the stuff looks like to those who don't want to follow the link:

Hopefully, I won't get outbidded on it.
Again, thanks for helping my make my decision.

Old
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Do NOT buy the RBK stuff. There is a reason why those are so cheap.

My buddy bought those pads new last year and they are total junk. He bought them because it was a insane deal on new pads. Guess what? He's paying for it now. Alot of the straps broke and the stiching is all coming out. He is only on the ice 3 days a week at the most and they are falling apart on him. He looks at me in the a set of 4 year old Vaughns in perfect shape and is kicking himself for not buying good pads. Granted, my Vaughns were almost 4x the price of RBK's but it's worth every penny. I can't stand seeing all these Pro's wearing RBK beacuse they are truely a bad product in every way. Vaughn cares about their product and the goalies that wear them. I will forever be a buyer of Vaughn products. All pros that wear Vaughns in the NHL do so by personal choice, not by throwing a huge contract at them. Customer service is top notch, when I ordered my stuff I went straight to them, no middle men and told them what I wanted. They delieved and exceeded everything I asked for. I can call them anytime if I have a problem with any of my gear and they will help me. Try calling RBK and telling them you have a problem.

(Also be careful about the cat-eye cage, it's illegal in ALOT of leagues and I tend to shy away from those just because of safety reasons.)

Yeah I have a pair of Vaughn Velocitys (V1's) and they are fantastic. I think RBK makes a senior pad that is dirt cheap and a Pro pad that costs the same as the rest. You get what you pay for. I would think that the pro pad would have a similar quality as the other brands....I mean they are used in the show right?

Edit: Good choice on the pads. I had a pair of heaton 10's for a while...weren't for me but a good pad nonetheless.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote