HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#11 Vs # 71

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 10:22 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
#11 Vs # 71

I am not a huge ribs fan but , as long as he produces , he can play on this team

I can`t see management keeping koivu at his 4+ salary beyond next season . With the economics changing next year, Koivu is grossly overpaid, love him, battled cancer and injuries , but he has really given us 2 -3 good years. He has made a hell of a lot of money and I can`t see him coming back. You can`t have him and ribs being 1,2 down the middle , we lack size and defence at one of the positions.If
Ribs can get 60-75 points he can be our offensive centre , not a true # 1 , but a scoring # 1 , there will be a ton of options when the economics change taht may be a better fit than #11.

Old
02-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
I am not a huge ribs fan but , as long as he produces , he can play on this team

I can`t see management keeping koivu at his 4+ salary beyond next season . With the economics changing next year, Koivu is grossly overpaid, love him, battled cancer and injuries , but he has really given us 2 -3 good years. He has made a hell of a lot of money and I can`t see him coming back. You can`t have him and ribs being 1,2 down the middle , we lack size and defence at one of the positions.If
Ribs can get 60-75 points he can be our offensive centre , not a true # 1 , but a scoring # 1 , there will be a ton of options when the economics change taht may be a better fit than #11.

Listen, we've been down this road already. Fact is, Koivu is the heart of this team. You look at the Difference. When Koivu was out of the line-up, Ribeiro didn't produce very well. As soon as Koivu came back, Ribs was producing. BG will not trade Koivu. Koivu is close to having a point a game now, and is playing very well.
We have a good 1-2 Punch right now. Look at other excelling teams right now in the NHL, like NJ or Colorado. They do not have big centres, but do very well each year.

Besides that, Montreal fans would have a riot if Koivu got traded. This will never happen. I garuntee you that!

Old
02-04-2004, 10:32 AM
habfan4

As much as I've been impressed by Ribeiro's play thus far (frankly I didn't think he had it in him), one decent season is not good enough for Gainey to consider dumping the teams captain and Number 1 centre.

Koivu's 4.25 million a season IMO does constitute being over paid and is not going to bust the Habs. True, the economics of the game may change after the 2004 season, but the effects are more likely to be felt by the journeymen/periphery NHLers and the Jagr/Holik/Guerins of the world as opposed to players like Koivu.

Aside from his history with the team (which is not quantifiable in terms of dollars), Saku (from my recollections) has never asked for a large/unwarranted salary increase, which leads me to believe that he'll accept a fair offer (he's guaranteed to receive) from the Canadiens.

Old
02-04-2004, 11:05 AM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
yes this little beast has popped up again... Yes are top two line centres are small, but if they playing well we must surely keep them and as previously mentioned.. When Koivu isn't there Ribiero loses something of his game. Yes we are in need of a big centre... a bruiser someone to man handle others, and get in front of the net... But to trade either one of these two guys would seriously be a problem... UNless what we were offered was an once in a lifetime opportunity.... Also yes it is true... Ribiero's performance have left me nothing short of brethless and it seems wonderful to see players from within finally putting in a season - and lets just remember at this point in time, if the carry on at this pace it would be just one season, that has waranteed our expections. Also the fans i know for sure that if the Habs were to trade captain Courageous then i would be very dissappointed and so too would many other fans. So the best we can hope for is that.. Both Koivu and Ribiero continue to play.. and do so well and that we can shift our deadwood such as Yannic and see if we can land ourselves that big bluecollared forward we so wish for.... I'd point you readers out to the other thread on AS scouting in Calgary... in throws in the name of CONROY, who would be nice... but i'll leave that to your own disgressions...

Old
02-04-2004, 11:28 AM
zurg999

Why don't we just all wait and re-evaluate during the playoffs.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those suggesting Koivu can be replaced (esp. by Ribs!) will not be popping up for air quite as often.

Old
02-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Man some day I'm going to snap at all this Koivu VS Ribeiro crap. They're 2 different players people! Get over it! They each bring something of value right now. 2 good players in one team doesn't translate into a problem! I've never seen such a ridiculous dilema take so much time and space among fans and media. For crying out loud, the team doesn't have nearly enough talent to be a contender yet they're winning. Doesn't that ring a bell to anybody?

Old
02-04-2004, 11:43 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Why don't we just all wait and re-evaluate during the playoffs.
I think we all should wait until Ribeiro has at least had two back-to-back seasons with 50 points or more before we do anything else. Am I the only one who fears he may have a Theodore-like slump next season? Most players have it after a breakthrough season.

At least we know that Koivu will bring just about the same production (PPG%) next year as he has this year. Injuries are the only thing that may hold him back.

Old
02-04-2004, 11:43 AM
mcphee

WHY,WHY,WHY,WHY ? PlEASE STOP

Old
02-04-2004, 11:49 AM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Man some day I'm going to snap at all this Koivu VS Ribeiro crap. They're 2 different players people! Get over it! They each bring something of value right now. 2 good players in one team doesn't translate into a problem! I've never seen such a ridiculous dilema take so much time and space among fans and media. For crying out loud, the team doesn't have nearly enough talent to be a contender yet they're winning. Doesn't that ring a bell to anybody?
hear you on the two different players part and to be honest thats what you need don't you... different styles of players who at the end of the day compliment one another and also the whole sum of the team, not just the individual parts. BUT!!! we must still hope that under the pressure of the playoffs if Mike can cope with the pressure.. Fingers crossed he can, and also twinned with a Hopefully ranking of sixth we can progress at least to the second round after finishing off TAmpa in 6... Fingers crossed but as mention why talk about this debate... Their two good players and we need and want all the good players we can get!!!!

Old
02-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Wildbeliefs

Can't we just lock these threads and redirect the people who post them to previous similar threads?

Sigh... not a day goes by that I don't see this topic. My friend (shaolingoon) already checks this forum less and less often, and I'm seriously considering doing the same...

Old
02-04-2004, 12:31 PM
habsfan11

The day i see Ribs steal Koivus spot on the PK unit is the day ill start listening to dump koivu treads

Old
02-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Cariboux

We finally have 2 lines that can score and you want to broke them. I know Koivu cost a lot of money, but when he's healthy he deserves this salary. We will finally have punch on offensive zone in the next years, it's not the time to break all that. Ribeiro is still young and with Koivu out of the lineup, all the offensive pressure would be on his shoulder and I don't know if he can bring a team alone right now. Saku is a veteran who can do it and the 2 lines combination is very good.

The only problem now is that Saku and Ribs do not have great wingers to finish their plays

Old
02-04-2004, 12:35 PM
English Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_
The day i see Ribs steal Koivus spot on the PK unit is the day ill start listening to dump koivu treads
hahaha.... okay we'll start our own Forum up.... Votes for the change of PK to MGA...More goals allowed!!!

Old
02-04-2004, 12:39 PM
obcd1

why isn't the Ribeiro-Koivu saga in the "I'm most sick of hearing about... " pool?

Old
02-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Habeas Corpus

delete this thread

Old
02-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Stephan Lebeau

Old
02-04-2004, 01:02 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Lebeau

Old
02-04-2004, 01:31 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I am loving this thread so far...I came in half knowing what the first post was about...and I knew what the response was gonna be.

Let this be a lesson to you posters who feel Koivu needs to be traded, if you post it, We will **** all over it. and with good reason!!

Old
02-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Lebeau
We're indeed beating a dead horse

Old
02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
We're indeed beating a dead horse

LOL.

At least most posters are tired of this crap.

Closed Thread