HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the loudest the Saddledome ever got?

Old
03-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
What was the loudest the Saddledome ever got?

I was watching the Classic Series on the 1989 Canucks series (IMO, Vernon had the best game 7 of any Flames goalie in history), and I noticed how amazingly loud the home crowd was for all the Flames goal.

That got me wondering...

When was the loudest the Saddledome EVER got?

This should be a good question for you Flames fans.

Last edited by Al Bundy*: 03-11-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Although I wasn't there, I expect that after the game 6 OT goal by Gelinas against Detroit in '04 probably ranks pretty high on that list.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:52 AM
KiwiFlamesFan

Watching on TV it sounded pretty loud during the cup finals in 04.

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 07:47 AM
smokie24

Maybe not the loudest ever, but the loudest per person that I can remember is from the 2001-2002 Calgary-Anaheim brawls. Couldn't have been more than 8,000 people left when Lambert ran Vernon, but I swear the roof was going to come off after the third liney started.

smokie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Caged Great

As someone who was there for every game of the Cup run in 04 and beyond, In game 6 in OT against Detroit, When the puck came across from iginla everyone on mass jumped from their seats and then proceeded to go insane when Gelly put it home.

The other moment that was on Par was another game 6, against Vancouver. We went down 4-0 half way through the 2nd, and fought our way back. When I think Clark, or Regehr scored (Probably Clark from Regehr... Actually it was Clark from Regehr and Nilson) to tie the game it went nuts. But then they scored in triple OT.

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Elite09

For me it is the 1996 World Juniors game between Canada-Czech's.

Hockey was on a lockout and the dome was rockin that December night.

Elite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Although I wasn't there, I expect that after the game 6 OT goal by Gelinas against Detroit in '04 probably ranks pretty high on that list.
That was the loudest I have ever heard any stadium at any time...my ears rang for a day after just due to crowd noise!!! The echoing from the go flames go chant was as loud as the actual chanting, it was insane.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
That was the loudest I have ever heard any stadium at any time...my ears rang for a day after just due to crowd noise!!! The echoing from the go flames go chant was as loud as the actual chanting, it was insane.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
nik-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The other moment that was on Par was another game 6, against Vancouver. We went down 4-0 half way through the 2nd, and fought our way back. When I think Clark, or Regehr scored (Probably Clark from Regehr... Actually it was Clark from Regehr and Nilson) to tie the game it went nuts. But then they scored in triple OT.
I'd say this one too ... scoring that 4th goal to tie it up was the loudest experience I'd ever had.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Agreed with the Gelinas goal vs. Detroit

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Kirby_Higbe

The loudest I ever heard at a game I was at would be either the McDonald OT goal against Edmonton in game 6 of the '84 Smythe Finals, or when Referee Ron Fournier through Glen Sather out of the game on April 4 1986 when the Flames finally blew out the Oilers.

Kirby_Higbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
BadNewsBearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite09 View Post

+1

That game was amazing. I remember that the Canadian kids were practically jumping into the benches for line changes. Oh what could have been for Mr. Daigle.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:05 AM
KiwiFlamesFan

I actually got to watch game 6 against Detroit in 04 on tv and I swear my heart skipped a beat when I saw the puck pop out to Gelinas

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:20 AM
chriss_co

the youtube clip brough a wave of nostalgia.. then i had to go look up all the other playoff tribute youtube clips especially with the 'Times like these' playing in the background

but i cant seem to find the one that was played during the get-together celebration at olympic plaza after the playoffs.. that one was the best.. summarized all 4 series and had peter maher and chris cuthbert in the background on the series winning goals.. then bob cole's play by play for the tampa series.. and ended with tampa winning the cup and sad faces of the flames at the very end of the 'times like these' song

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Congo

I still remember going to only one game that year, and that game was Game 6 against Detroit. I also remember not being able to hear my teachers AT ALL the next day.

Last edited by Congo: 03-12-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
goosebumps.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 07:34 AM
smokie24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite09 View Post

That was an insane night. If I remember correctly, Canada scored an empty netter that was called back, can't remember why. I believe taht we got a penalty on the play, but we scored again like 20 seconds later, and then got an unsportsmanlike penalty for celebrating. I was only 11 or 12 at the time, but that was pretty memorable.

Old
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post

Yeah, that one definitely ranks high. It was insane in there when Gelinas got that goal.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Skyguard

for me it was right at the peak of the 04 playoffs... except I was at the roughnecks lacrosse game... when they won in the finals...

The city was so energetic at that time... it was so damn loud in the Saddledome for that lacrosse game! I am sure it was louder at actual Flames playoff games around the same time, but I was not fortunate enough to attend any in person and compare... it was so loud my ears hurt (it sounds crazy but anyone else who was there for the Roughnecks game knows what I am talking about).

Skyguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:34 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguard View Post
for me it was right at the peak of the 04 playoffs... except I was at the roughnecks lacrosse game... when they won in the finals...

The city was so energetic at that time... it was so damn loud in the Saddledome for that lacrosse game! I am sure it was louder at actual Flames playoff games around the same time, but I was not fortunate enough to attend any in person and compare... it was so loud my ears hurt (it sounds crazy but anyone else who was there for the Roughnecks game knows what I am talking about).

I was at that game! I agree, it was pretty loud in there.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Caribou Lou

Cosign on the 04 Gelinas goal vs Detroit

The loudest it's ever been while I was there was last season against Florida when we came back to win in OT. Tons of people had left, but during the last 5 minutes of that game it was awesome, especially since we scored the last few goals in pretty rapid succession. When Giordano scored it completely exploded, even on our way out people we still screaming.

Caribou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
JiriHrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie24 View Post
That was an insane night. If I remember correctly, Canada scored an empty netter that was called back, can't remember why. I believe taht we got a penalty on the play, but we scored again like 20 seconds later, and then got an unsportsmanlike penalty for celebrating. I was only 11 or 12 at the time, but that was pretty memorable.
I was there too. An unreal night and one of the best games I've ever been at. Daigle scored the EN goal and slid in front of the czech bench on his knees shooting fake guns. Called back but still pretty cool.

But yeah it was an unreal game and the dome was loud. You could feel it coming too as Canada was trailing but starting to turn the tide. I moved down from the 2nd level to some seats in the lower bowl and was sitting next to a reporter from Sask who had moved down from the press box. I remember saying to him - you watch...if Canada scores in the next 2 minutes this place is going bezerk. Canada scored seconds later and it went absolutely nutty.

Fun night.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
smokie24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I was there too. An unreal night and one of the best games I've ever been at. Daigle scored the EN goal and slid in front of the czech bench on his knees shooting fake guns. Called back but still pretty cool.

But yeah it was an unreal game and the dome was loud. You could feel it coming too as Canada was trailing but starting to turn the tide. I moved down from the 2nd level to some seats in the lower bowl and was sitting next to a reporter from Sask who had moved down from the press box. I remember saying to him - you watch...if Canada scores in the next 2 minutes this place is going bezerk. Canada scored seconds later and it went absolutely nutty.

Fun night.
Thanks for the visual reminder. My family had season's tickets back then, we were sitting in them, and they looked directly at the Czech bench. They were a ways up, but you could still see what Daigle was doing and how tweaked the Czechs were. Man, that was awesome.

Old
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
JiriHrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie24 View Post
Thanks for the visual reminder. My family had season's tickets back then, we were sitting in them, and they looked directly at the Czech bench. They were a ways up, but you could still see what Daigle was doing and how tweaked the Czechs were. Man, that was awesome.
Too bad Daigle didn't fulfill his potential - the guy just didn't care enough about the game. But he cared about that tournament and played with a lot of emotion.

And man the kid had wheels.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Elite09

I won tickets to the Canada-Czech game off of Country 105 that morning. What was the last year that there was no Stanley Cup awarded? That was the question. I remember getting my "Official Guide and Record Book" and looking it up.

Still remember that game and it was 11 years ago.

Elite09 is offline   Reply With Quote