HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Draft Speculation Thread

Old
03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
This is why i love the NHL draft, so much uncertainly. Artem Kriukov was once a "no brainer" also and considered the Russian version of Eric Lindros. And now people mock our management staff every second they get.

Although, i do think he will be a solid player, but i don't know if i'd want him. With luck with Russians isn't exactly the greatness in recent years.
was he called the russian eric lindros because of his concussion problems

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
change the goalie to another forward and I'm down with that.
i talked about it in another topic recently. the way I understand it is, there are 5 or 6 top goalies considered to go in the 2nd round. I'd like to get one of them.

and Filatov is one player that I would think hard about trading up for. The other is Beach, although he may be tougher to get.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
was he called the russian eric lindros because of his concussion problems
Not really, it was because of his size and the way he used it. Russians were always considered soft until they all saw Artem and said he was pretty much the first Russian "power forward".

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
Although, i do think he will be a solid player, but i don't know if i'd want him. With luck with Russians isn't exactly the greatness in recent years.
Forget the transfer fees...

How many Russians in the league today bring more positives than negatives to the table? Not many...

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post

How many Russians in the league today bring more positives than negatives to the table? Not many...
Which Russians bring problems? I'd gladly have Ovechkin, Semin, Kovalev, Kovalchuk on the team any day of the week. Has Afinogenov caused any problems? What are the problems with Zhitnik?

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Malkin, Bryzgalov, Nabakov, Zubov, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Gonchar, Semin, Radulov and Frolov just off the top of my head.

03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:

Ovechkin
Malkin
Kovalev
Gonchar
Radulov
Kovulchuk
Bryzgalov
Nabakov
Markov
Volchenkov
Datsyuk

Should i keep going? There are just as many lazy, uninspired north american players as there are russian players. Probably more. Its borderline racist and without merit to say Russians are no good.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

But what about the ones that do? they are elite players... if you can get an elite level prospect in a spot where you would normally get a decent Drew Stafford/Dan Paille style NA forward you have to take that chance SOMETIMES... Filitov would be a good time to take that chance... Do we want to have the problem of always having 2nd and 3rd line young forward talent? or do we want to take a chance and add an ELITE prospect??? i think i know where the Kalinin hate comes from....

this is all moot, since Filatov will be off the board in the first 6 picks.

Old
03-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Doako View Post
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kovalev
Gonchar
Radulov
Kovulchuk
Bryzgalov
Nabakov
Markov
Volchenkov
Datsyuk

Should i keep going? There are just as many lazy, uninspired north american players as there are russian players. Probably more. Its borderline racist and without merit to say Russians are no good.
In terms of Russian skaters, there is a grand total of 21 who have played more than 30 games this season.

As per NHL.com. http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetc...ewName=summary

Old
03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
ISukAtLyfe

I really don't understand the fuss about Filatov. I'm not saying he looks bad, but he doesn't look like a sure-fire high end Russian talent to me. Maybe a great 2nd liner at best, IMO. Still, I'd take a chance on him if he fell to our 1st pick assuming we're in the 9-12 range, but if we're close to or in the top 5, I wouldn't go near him.

ISukAtLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Fan-of-#9

I'm just playing the odds folks. No need to throw the term 'racist' around.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
In terms of Russian skaters, there is a grand total of 21 who have played more than 30 games this season.

There's a simple reason for that and its known as money. Why would you want to come to NA and get paid around a mil taxed to be a plumber on an NHL team when you could get almost twice that playing in the RSL and not pay any taxes? So the only Russians playing here are elite players, hell I'd gladly welcome with open arms any elite talent that wanted to grace the blue and gold.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

That only includes players born in what is now Russia. No Lithuanians, Latvians, Ukranians, Belorussians, etc....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Devo-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline View Post
I really don't understand the fuss about Filatov. I'm not saying he looks bad, but he doesn't look like a sure-fire high end Russian talent to me. Maybe a great 2nd liner at best, IMO. Still, I'd take a chance on him if he fell to our 1st pick assuming we're in the 9-12 range, but if we're close to or in the top 5, I wouldn't go near him.
While I acknowledge that I haven't seen the kid play, Woodlief is really gushing over him:

Quote:
All of the sudden, we may have an actual horse race as we turn down the stretch and head for the wire in what has been a terrific season to date in the scouting world.
And that's in large measure due to Russian winger Nikita Filatov, whose exploits at the recent Five Nations U-18 tourney we chronicle inside these pages.

In Red Line Report's view, Filatov has actually done enough now to leapfrog over all those big, skilled, rangy, puck-moving defensemen the OHL has been greedily hording all to themselves. And it's not because Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian, and Alex Pietrangelo have done much of anything wrong. It's simply that Filatov has been phenomenal, and is actually narrowing the gap between himself and the once seemingly untouchable Steven Stamkos.

. . .

Those of you who have already looked closely at Red Line's latest rankings have no doubt noticed that Russian winger Nikita Filatov has ascended to the No. 2 overall perch, moving ahead of the Ontario League's "Big Three" defense brigade of Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian, and Alex Pietrangelo, a trio of big, skilled, rangy defenders we really like.

Frankly, we privately never thought anyone aside from Steven Stamkos and Doughty would occupy our top two slots this entire season. But WOW! Filatov just bowled us over with one of the most dynamic performances RLR has ever witnessed in one of these week-long international tournaments we've been attending for 14+ years now. And there's not an ounce of hyperbole in that statement. Filatov was that good.

As one NHL scout said to Red Line during the Five Nations proceedings over in Finland last week, "If there was no name on the back of his jersey, and these games were being played in the CHL, could you tell the difference between Filatov and Stamkos?"

And it didn't take more than two seconds' thought on our part to respond, "No."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-redline_N.htm

Devo-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo-2 View Post
While I acknowledge that I haven't seen the kid play, Woodlief is really gushing over him:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-redline_N.htm
yea, like i said... this debate is pointless. The guy is getting drafted before we pick, plain and simple.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
yea, like i said... this debate is pointless. The guy is getting drafted before we pick, plain and simple.
Probably.

Unless they tank out. Oh. Wait. They might not have to try too hard to gain ground in the lottery...

Old
03-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Probably.

Unless they tank out. Oh. Wait. They might not have to try too hard to gain ground in the lottery...
it's going to be nearly impossible for them to be a lottery pick... 4 of the lottery spots are mathematically possible but almost entirely unlikely.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chalk Outline View Post
Well we all know how hyped Cherepanov is and Filatov looked much better than him at the WJC's IMO. And he's a year younger and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. From what I understand his mother is actually an English teacher so he's fluent in English and wants to come over to play in the CHL or NHL next season. And unlike Cherepanov, Filatov is actually willing to work to create chances. If Filatov is available at our pick, it's a no-brainer IMO.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
it's going to be nearly impossible for them to be a lottery pick... 4 of the lottery spots are mathematically possible but almost entirely unlikely.
Yet it is possible although unlikely to move up from another non-playoff position. I could see them faltering enough to land in the 6-9 range.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Well we all know how hyped Cherepanov is and Filatov looked much better than him at the WJC's IMO. And he's a year younger and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. From what I understand his mother is actually an English teacher so he's fluent in English and wants to come over to play in the CHL or NHL next season. And unlike Cherepanov, Filatov is actually willing to work to create chances. If Filatov is available at our pick, it's a no-brainer IMO.
heck, i'd trade both firsts to move up to get him... but my money says St Louis or the Isles take him in the top 5.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Yet it is possible although unlikely to move up from another non-playoff position. I could see them faltering enough to land in the 6-9 range.
I unfortunately see them in the 10-14 range... deadman's land...

Old
03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Though only the 1st 5 teams have a shot at moving up to number 1 overall, it wouldn't be too bad to have a ping pong ball come up lucky and have us move into the top 3 or 4. Which of course would mean that we'd have a shot at a potential number 1 right handed defenseman or Filatov.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
heck, i'd trade both firsts to move up to get him... but my money says St Louis or the Isles take him in the top 5.
The Isles would be the team that seems to scream for a need for his type of offensive game. I'm sure we'll be told how they don't need/want his kind of player in three...two...one....

Quote:
I unfortunately see them in the 10-14 range... deadman's land...
Yeah. The Cooper/Savage/Zagrapan area. Sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Though only the 1st 5 teams have a shot at moving up to number 1 overall, it wouldn't be too bad to have a ping pong ball come up lucky and have us move into the top 3 or 4. Which of course would mean that we'd have a shot at a potential number 1 right handed defenseman or Filatov.
Stranger things have happened. I'd expect them to get stuck just on the outside of that or that someone jumps past them on lottery day, just to make the pain of this season complete.

And yes, I'm plenty familiar with how the lottery works.

Last edited by Chainshot: 03-12-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old
03-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
The Isles would be the team that seems to scream for a need for his type of offensive game. I'm sure we'll be told how they don't need/want his kind of player in three...two...one....

Yeah. The Cooper/Savage/Zagrapan area. Sucks.

Stranger things have happened. I'd expect them to get stuck just on the outside of that or that someone jumps past them on lottery day, just to make the pain of this season complete.

And yes, I'm plenty familiar with how the lottery works.
Just for once (since 1970) I'd like something to work out in this team's favor, but being Buffalo fans its expect and experience the worse. I can just picture how it'll go down, Buffalo will pass up Wilson and Boychuk to pick up Myers and then will grab Staal with their second 1st rounder.

Old
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

As for guys I would be targeting with our pick, I'm going to assume Stamkos, Bogosian, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Filatov, Beach, and Schenn are all gone. The following is who I would be looking at (this is all assuming we're picking in the range of 8-14):

Zach Boychuk - Not big but he's jacked, not afraid to get physical or use his body to protect the puck. Fantastic stickhandler with great vision, could be a great 1/2 punch with Roy up the middle for years to come.

Cody Hodgson - I'm not as high on this kid as some people are. He's a great passer but he's not the greatest skater which I think could hinder him at the NHL level. There's quite a few guys that I would take over him.

Mikkel Boedker - Tremendous offensive talent, possibly the 3rd best offensive talent in this draft behind Stamkos and Filatov. He's a ton of fun to watch, can skate like the wind (reminds me a little bit of Gaborik in that sense), can dangle as well as anybody in this draft, the only knock on him is that he's not the greatest finisher.

Tyler Ennis - Small but extremely talented and plays with a ton of heart. He's not afraid to grind it out in the corners despite his size, willing to get pounded to make a play, and he never stops moving his legs. He's also a great skater with very good vision, potential captain material IMO. The only thing that could hold him back is his size but I don't think it will. He's one of my favorite guys in this draft though taking him with our pick may be a tad too soon but I don't think we could get him with SJ's pick.

Colin Wilson - I've said it before somewhere here, but this is the kind of guy you need on your team to win championships. He plays a great two-way game, he's not incredibly talented but he does all the little things you need to do to win games, comparable to Chris Drury in that sense. He works hard every shift and never gives up, another guy that could wear a C somewhere down the road in his career.

Michael Del Zotto - Not putting up quite the offensive numbers people expected him to this year but a lot of that has to do with him shoring up some defensive problems in his game. He's your prototypical offensive first dman. He's got a great point shot, he's very agile and a good puckhandler, making him a perfect PP QB. There's absolutely no panic in his game. He could stand to improve positioning in his own end, hopefully that's something that will come with experience.

Mattias Tedenby - One of the most exciting players to watch on offense in this draft. Blazing speed and very creative with the puck, able to pull moves off at top speed. Despite his small stature he's actually pretty strong on the puck, has quite a bit of offensive upside.

Joe Colborne - I'm not as high on Colborne as some people. It would be great to have a big center in the system but what good is it if you don't use your size effectively (cough - Mancari - cough). He's a good skater for a guy his size uses his long reach well, but if he could learn to use his body he could absolutely dominate. Again, that could be something that comes with experience and maturity.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote