HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Motivation

Old
03-15-2008, 02:00 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

vCash: 500
Motivation

every once in awhile i say to myself, i'm gonna lose weight, get a six pack etc.
eveytime i work out and watch what i eat for about a week or 2(if i'm lucky) and then i just stop, really pissing me off
the worst i think is eating sweets and chocolate and drinking sodas. anyone please have a suggestioin to help me keep my consitiancy ( and eat less, or resist he urge to eat sweets)?
thanks

nyrpassion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 02:19 PM
spoon*

One of my problems as well.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

get on yourself. I had the same problem. I'm sticking to a diet now and running and stuff. You gotta look at yourself in the mirror and feel disgusted with yourself. Make fun of yourself whenever you can. Especially when you don't eat right. Sounds weird but works

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 03:22 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
get on yourself. I had the same problem. I'm sticking to a diet now and running and stuff. You gotta look at yourself in the mirror and feel disgusted with yourself. Make fun of yourself whenever you can. Especially when you don't eat right. Sounds weird but works
lol
thanks i'll try that, appropriate avatar btw..lol

Old
03-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Sens Army*

Hard work always pays off

Sens Army* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
brother52

Get precise scales and use them every night. Works well for me.

brother52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Phoenix

I know this sounds easier than it is, but don't try to 'diet'. Just try to eat healthy and enjoy it. I'm perhaps lucky in that I've grown up on healthy food and its more of the norm for me, but i still go through the sweets phases...and i always get sick of them after a binge. The other big thing is I just don't buy sweets, because once they're in the kitchen I have absolutely no resistance.
If you're unsure of healthy foods ask someone, or surf the net - there's plenty of info.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
javorka

Consciously think about what you are eating. If you are sitting in front of the TV and think you could really use a bag of chips, take a minute and think about your choice. Is instant gratification what you want (sugar high, etc.) or do you want to feel healthier in the long run? It's that simple. Not necessarily easy (if it was, I'd be 135 instead of 155 ) but simple.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I really don't understand people who don't work hard or don't have motivation/discipline. There's nothing with eating chips or drinking soda once in a while, you don't deprive yourself of it altogether, but you reduce it a lot.

I don't know though, I actually like raw brocoli, spinash, parsley and all those things. I rarely eat fried foods(I'll eat potato latkes once in a while), I cut out all the fat on my meat even though I mostly eat lean meats and no ground meat and I really like whole grain food as well as skim milk. Just learn to cook and you'll find a way to appreciate healthy eating like I did.

Honestly, those that tell you or think it's hard are weak of character or lazy.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 03:36 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
every once in awhile i say to myself, i'm gonna lose weight, get a six pack etc.
eveytime i work out and watch what i eat for about a week or 2(if i'm lucky) and then i just stop, really pissing me off
the worst i think is eating sweets and chocolate and drinking sodas. anyone please have a suggestioin to help me keep my consitiancy ( and eat less, or resist he urge to eat sweets)?
thanks
This is tough for about 99% of the population. I work out 5 days a week and try to eat healthy and yet I have such a massive sweet tooth that it's nearly impossible for me to go a day without eating some kind of sweet.

Working out is your best bet to help tone yourself up.
I read once that if you make it past 6 months, you're chances of working out for at least 3 years is 75%.
Stay on yourself to work out and from there you'll want to have a better diet.
One thing that's helped me is to drink water all day long. A lot of times, hunger is actually a signal for dehydration. The more I drink the less I"m tempted to dive into the cookie jar.
But sugar is like any other drug. Challenge yourself to go 1 day without any sweets. Then 2, then 3, etc.
But don't completely deprive yourself altogether. Have a 'cheat day'. Mine is Saturday and I usually treat myself to hotwings or some kind of dessert.
Good luck. It's tough but if you do get into a routine of working-out take pride in that a very small percentage of people do it. You should be proud of yourself for sticking to it.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post

You sound like a woman.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
XweekendwarriorX

buy a water bottle like a powerade one if you can or that and keep that with you at all times. fill it up with juice and water that way you never really get to thirsty and want a pop.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
fizban

First off, stop with the soda. Just don't buy it anymore. People don't usually naturally get insatiable cravings for liquids.

Don't stop buying snacks. Change the snacks to something healthier. You'll get in the mood for snacks and you'll probably go out to the store and buy them if you don't have any at your house. Find alternative snacks that are truly healthy. Even they aren't great for you if you want to lose weight, but you have to start off small. Once a few months has gone by and you're doing well with eating healthier, then you can start to try and eat a little less. Restricting how much food you eat right away is a sure fire way to wind up abandoning your diet.

Don't overdo your exercising either. If you just want to exercise to lose weight, you're going to fail. The only way you'll succeed is if you commit to changing your lifestyle first. Worry about the pounds later. Start off even as small as going for a 10 minute walk every morning at the same time. The point isn't to start draining the pounds away, the point is to start a new habit that is sustainable. It doesn't do you any good to jog for an hour a day if you're just going to stop after the third day. Try the 10 minute walk a day and see if you can keep up with it for 3 weeks. It doesn't even matter if you haven't even lost any weight after the three weeks. What matters is that you've started a routine. Once you've established a good routine, you can gradually adjust up to 30 minutes and eventually jog for 2 or three minutes during your walk. Even if it takes you 6 months to get up to a 30 minute jog per day, as long as you continue to do it every day, you'll be healthy for the rest of your life.

The most important thing though, is to not bite off more than you can chew.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 04:59 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

thanks for all the replies, i appreciate it

Old
03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Grabo59

A few tips that work are always keeping a bottle of water with you, at all times. This way whenever you have the munchies, just drink the water. Most of the time you;re not hungry, you;re just bored and want to snack, that's why the water helps.

Another thing is don't eat in front of the TV, while reading the paper, etc. You won't be conscious of what you;re doing and before you know it you will have eaten half the bag. If you want chips, go to the cupboard, grab a handful, but the bag away and walk away. This will discourage you from eating too much.

Hope this helps.

Grabo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 05:43 PM
russmatuss

The more you excercise, the less time you have to eat sweets.

Basically.

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
thanks
Exactly my problem. After finishing the 6 pack, I've convinced myself I look pretty good and doze off on the couch.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I know this sounds easier than it is, but don't try to 'diet'. Just try to eat healthy and enjoy it. I'm perhaps lucky in that I've grown up on healthy food and its more of the norm for me, but i still go through the sweets phases...and i always get sick of them after a binge. The other big thing is I just don't buy sweets, because once they're in the kitchen I have absolutely no resistance.
If you're unsure of healthy foods ask someone, or surf the net - there's plenty of info.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing... I didn't really grow up on healthy food, but I changed the way I eat. If I need a snack I grab an apple instead of some chips. I pay attention to what is in the food I eat. No more soda, no more fried foods or pizza or anything greasy like that (I'll have a slice of pizza once in a while, but rarely). I cut out fast food completely, that was pretty easy actually because most of it tastes pretty awful. No more fatty and sugary desserts (ice cream, pie, cake, etc). Feel like having some hot wings or something for dinner? Get a salad with some grilled chicken instead. After a little while you just get in the habit of eating healthier and all that junk food loses its appeal. Do that, and add in some regular exercise like jogging (I'm still working on that one, right now I'm just playing hockey a couple times a week) and you should start to notice a difference.

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Sensfanman

The key is not just go cold turkey that since that causes larger cravings. Treat it like being addicted to cigarettes, reduce them slowly, use a supplement (like protein power if are working out, if not it's bad so be careful) and get someone to help you through it but who cares enough to not let you slip. You have to be open about it, don't try and do it in secret since you'll let yourself fall off the wagon.

Good luck

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote