HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*Please Read* Moderation Updates

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
*Please Read* Moderation Updates

**1/1/09 UPDATE ON POST #6**

--

I just spend an inordinate amount of time in a thread wading through a lot of personal insults/swearing/flaming and had to do the same in another thread.

There will no longer be any tolerance or warnings as I have received private message complaints about the extent of this in many of the threads.

I really don't like having to do this but I see no other choice.

Last edited by RKD: 06-05-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old
07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I can't stress this enough -- try to keep the arguments on topic.

Criticize the argument, criticize the point -- do NOT attack the poster who made it.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Trolling is an inevitable part of message boards.

We would appreciate it, if and when you encounter a post which you feel could be considered as trolling under the site rules (there's a link to those at the red bar near the top of the page), that you NOT respond to it in kind.

Eg. "Go away troll." or "**** trolls" ; anything of that nature

Instead, hit the "report post" button near the bottom of the post (underneath the avatar of the poster who made the post).

Doing this stands a much higher chance of that poster being reprimanded AND reduces the chance that you yourself may be reprimanded for making inflammatory remarks.

Thanks!

Old
03-12-2008, 11:09 PM
hockeyaddict101

Moderation.

Since there was some questions about moderation. I will be clear.

Is not a moderators job to go through a 6 page thread and make sure you all behave. If you want something corrected use the report feature instead of just accusing moderators of turning a blind eye!

If you can't use the report feature then you may not get any results.

A moderator may disagree with you and what you take as insult may not be attended that way.

If you have a problem with a moderator PM them.

I will now close this.

If you have any questions PM me!

Old
03-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I cannot believe what happened tonight. I normally don't like to make posts like this, but this was not just limited to one or two posters.

Calling out mods in public, not respecting your fellow posters, posting to incite a response. That's completely unacceptable behaviour for a poster, and everyone here knows it. I appreciate the heat of the moment, but that's not an excuse. You wouldn't do this type of thing at home or at work - HF should be no different.

I enjoy this board and I'm sure all of you do as well. Let's do our best to keep it that way.

Last edited by Cloned: 03-13-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old
01-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

First, I hate negative reinforcement, but I feel this needs to be said right now. Second, I hate to put on my mod hat on New Years, but here we go.

Just as a reminder - flaming, attacking and/or maliciously mocking posters is not acceptable on HF. There are far better ways to handle irreconcilable disagreements with posters, including:

1. Ignore list
2. Polite PMs to the other poster discussing the merits of the argument
3. Simply not responding - this is overlooked and the excuse of having a poster on your ignore list but seeing their posts because someone else quoted them is overused, as not responding is always an option
4. Logging off HF

With those 4 options in mind, there really should be no need for moderators to go further. But as a reminder, the following options exist for those who do not wish to follow one of the above:

5. Infractions, leading to loss of user privileges
6. Temporary ban, regardless of infraction points accumulated, for repeated bad behaviour
7. Permanent ban, the equivalent of Option #4 extended for eternity

I think Options 1-4 are far more appealing.

For the majority of HFOil, this isn't a problem. To those who need the reminder, please keep these points in mind before you post next time.

Thanks.

Old
01-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Forgot to add - we're not here to prohibit good debate or arguments over the merits. What we're trying to do is to limit the personal attacks. You can have a good debate without resorting to attacks.

Old
01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Seeing as how stickies are often missed (ironically), I'm going to bump this so everyone gets a chance to read it.

Old
03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

After the latest explosive round of MacT-related threads, we're looking to consolidate everything again.

Please keep all general MacT-related comments in here.

and here - part 2

Unless there is a specific detail that has some outside relevance which you want to expand on, please don't create any more threads regarding this topic.

Moderators will reserve the right to delete, close or merge threads as necessary.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 03-30-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Original page fell behind and was not far from 1,000 posts - new one needed these days me thinks :)
Old
03-01-2010, 01:16 PM
RKD

Trade Deadline

Hello all.

I figured I'd just an update/guideline on how we're going to handle things over the next few days with the trade deadline coming quick.

Non-Oiler signings, trades, and waiver activity should generally be posted in this THIS thread. This doesn't mean you cannot create a new thread for a trade activity, but please only do so if it's a rather large trade. The goal is to keep the minor deals in one place to keep the board clean.

For Oiler-related activity, please post rumors and speculation in THIS thread until something is confirmed. When/if the Oilers have made a trade that's been officially confirmed, obviously feel free to create a new thread with the "Confirmed with Link" thread prefix. Again, this is a measure to make sure that the board remains clean and so all our users can find information efficiently without having to scour various threads.

Thank you and let's all enjoy the trade deadline. It should be fun.

04-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Fourier

There were comments made last night on this board that are complete unacceptable. The fall-out has resulted in numerous infractions and the possibility of further actions.

In addition, Cloned has already indicated that additional personal attacks will not be tolerated. Take this notice seriously. While it is not possible for a mod to be in place 24 hrs per day, we will act.

Posting on these boards is a privilege not a right. If you cannot be responsible in your actions, then recognize that there will be consequences. Moreover, while we will make every attempt to make the punishment fit the crime, the fact that your are responding to provocation is in itself not a get out of jail free card.

Last edited by Fourier: 04-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
There were comments made last night on this board that are complete unacceptable. The fall-out has resulted in numerous infractions and the possibility of further actions.

In addition, Cloned has already indicated that additional personal attacks will not be tolerated. Take this notice seriously. While it is not possible for a mod to be in place 24 hrs per day, we will act.

Posting on these boards is a privilege not a right. If you cannot be responsible in your actions, then recognize that there will be consequences. Moreover, while we will make every attempt to make the punishment fit the crime, the fact that your are responding to provocation is in itself not a get out of jail card.
I just wanted to emphasis this last point. If you take the bait or rule breaking post and respond in kind. You are opening yourself up to punishment as well. Some posters seem to think just because they did not start something. That they should be free of the consequences when they break the rules in the process of attacking / flaming the offending poster that started the mess (or anyone else involved in the argument).

Rather than respond. Please report the post and let the mods or admins take care of it. As Fourier said we are not on around the clock. So report it and give us some time to respond to it.

Closed Thread