Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss Hockey

Old
03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
xDerekRx

vCash: 500
Swiss Hockey

How come there arent more people talking about Swiss league hockey?

I understand the quality of play is so-so. Great skaters with not so great hands.

However the vibe I got when I was visiting is that hockey is as big as soccer in the country.

I went to the ZSC/Kloten game and had a great time. The crowd was amazing.

We then went to a bar in Zurich to watch the close out game 5. All of the TVs had on Swiss league playoff games, even in HD. I thought it was great. Had a drink with a guy from San Diego who was in Zurich on business, and took in the ZSC Lions. Had a blast watching the game and actually rooting for the Lions to win the series. Then there were some foreginers there who got into hockey since moving to the country.

So I must say I was impressed. Even when visitng in Zug and Bern you could feel the love for the game and the National League. And as I mentioend before, the quality being no where near even the DE.... it was still great to see.

Then there is SC Bern who has the highest attendence in Europe, not just the league, which I think is great! My friend and I tried to get tickets to that game the next night as well but couldnt.

Maybe someday the intrest level in the sport in Swiss will raise the level of talent.

I know there are some Swiss fans on here, there is one in paticular that really helped me out finding games and I send out a thanks to you.

Maybe we can get a Swiss Playoffs thread going! -New ZSC fan here

xDerekRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:37 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Well, there aren't many swiss fans here compared to other countries. I think most people over here are fans of one team before being hockey fans, and they are more into the emotional aspect of the game but often unable to have a knowledgeable discussion. Though it seems there are more posters with swiss flags under their name lately, so maybe we just need to have some thread starter to have something going on.

BTW, glad you liked your time in Zurich, but I'll never forgive myself to have created a ZSC fan

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
xDerekRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Well, there aren't many swiss fans here compared to other countries. I think most people over here are fans of one team before being hockey fans, and they are more into the emotional aspect of the game but often unable to have a knowledgeable discussion. Though it seems there are more posters with swiss flags under their name lately, so maybe we just need to have some thread starter to have something going on.

BTW, glad you liked your time in Zurich, but I'll never forgive myself to have created a ZSC fan

Hey STV, thanks again for that info! We tried to get tickets to either the Zug or Bern games a couple days later but couldnt so it was all ZSC We met some fun/drunk Kloten fans on the trolly back... thats a diff story.

Also Zurich was ok, but we spent our 3 days basically staying in a hotel in Zuri at night, then taking the train on day trips into the Alps. Altdorf, Grindelwald, Luzern, Interlaken, Zug, Burn, Flulen. It was fantastic and the views were amazing. Otherwise we just used (expensive) Zurich as a launching pad to see better cities in Swiss

BTW what team do you root for?

Old
03-14-2008, 09:26 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

I root for Lugano, which had some hard fought playoffs series against ZSC a few years ago :

In the 2000 final, ZSC beats Lugano 4-2, scoring the game winner in game 6 with 10 seconds to go.

In the 2001 final, Lugano droped a 3-1 serie lead with ZSC winning game 7 in OT in Lugano

In 2002, semi-final this time, both team traded 3 home wins before ZSC won game 7 in Lugano

In 2003, semi-final again, Lugano won in five games despite ZSC leading the league after the regular season

In 2004, still semi-final, Lugano game back from a 3-1 deficite, including a last minute equalizer and an overtime goal in game 6 in Zurich and a third period come back in game 7

The rivalry has died down a bit since, but the relationship between fans of both teams is not a peaceful one yet.

Last edited by stv11: 03-14-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old
03-14-2008, 10:23 AM
xDerekRx

Ive always like Aebeschier, Im suprised he couldnt u guys into the playoffs this year. Or did Lugano make it? I saw them 1 point out before I left.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:34 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

They missed the playoffs by one point. Though Aebischer wasn't the reason why, Lugano won't win anything with that overrated goalie... never liked him

Old
04-12-2008, 11:07 AM
tepim

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDerekRx View Post
-New ZSC fan here
Then you will be glad to know that ZSC is the Swiss champion 2008 see also the IIHF News:

ZSC Lions Swiss champion. Zurich’s team first champion to join the Champions Hockey League.

tepim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
xDerekRx

I saw!! I didnt think they were going to beat Davos!

ATTACKE!!

Old
04-17-2008, 06:18 AM
swisdan

Wonderful final. Very closed final vs Geneve Servette.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
xDerekRx

The only complaint I have is:

Should the final game of the championship be decided via Shootout? NHL fans already have a hard time accepting it in regular season.

Old
04-18-2008, 04:30 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

I would be all for an NHL-like sudden death, but the opinion about this is pretty much splitted among the fans. The argument for a full sudden death are probably obvious to you, but as an NHL fan living in north America, you are probably not aware of some widely accepted european point of view :

- Though mostly seen as an unfair way to decide a game, the shootout is an accepted part of the sport culture. We're used to see the most important soccer games decided this way and don't question it.

- Some fans who live and die with their team attend every single game, road games included. They don't like the idea of a game ending late in the night, at a time where it's not possible anymore to use public transportation, or if they have to drive 3 hours back home.

- Some fans view any rule inspired by the NHL as an Americanization of the game, which is often interpreted as a step away from the basic ideas of sport and toward modern sport as a business. Hardcore fans have trouble accepting marketing friendly moves such as choosing a team nickname over the traditionnal "HC" denomination, or changing from a shield like logo to an animal based one.

Those are the points that most often come out when the sudden death vs shootout debate arise. But most agree that the shootout should consist of five attempts per team instead of the three we see in the regular season.

Old
05-03-2008, 10:29 AM
DanG

If you are interesstet; Here you find pictures and attendance from all Swiss Teams:

http://www.hockeyarenas.net

DanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:32 AM
DanG

By the way

I support Bern

DanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
torero

Swiss hockey is great !

in my view referees should be a bit more permissive ... allow for more fights.

i do not agree that the level is so inferior to german teams or other countries team than previously said.
I am not a fine "connaisseur" of hockey but i watch it for over 15 years. when our swiss teams meet other european teams ... our teams aren't that bad. They tend to be in the top tier.
We swiss people tend to be to much autocritical and we do not boast enough compared to the other countries.

I am a bern fan and proud to be it. And we should have a swiss LNA or swiss hockey thread on this site with a bit more enthusiasm rather than this classical swiss non-emotional technical critic and autocritic attitude ! (remebers me the grand-father of Heidi !)

i just saw that even france has a french hockey thread !! (they are more enthusiastic and communicative ... on this they beat us !)

Last edited by torero: 05-06-2008 at 04:43 AM.
torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:06 AM
tepim

My first favorite teams were in order - 1. CSKA Moscow, 2. Toronto Maple Leafs and 3. HC Davos . Huh, that's a long time ago.

Now I'm a ZSC Fan for 12 years and there isn't much space to cheer any other teams, ok sometimes I cheer for the Kloten Flyers if they play other teams than the Z. Now I'm really exited that our top defense (Blindenbacher, Forster, Seger) plays in the Worlds .

I watch one DEL game at week on TV and I can't agree that the Swiss League has the lower quality than the DEL, our game is faster and shows more skill even Germany produce more high level players. I was in the Kloten Flyers vs Krefeld Penguins game (Kloten won 7-2) and the both teams showed a huge different in their quality. But the top teams in the DEL understand their hockey too.

Old
05-08-2008, 07:47 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepim View Post
I watch one DEL game at week on TV and I can't agree that the Swiss League has the lower quality than the DEL, our game is faster and shows more skill even Germany produce more high level players. I was in the Kloten Flyers vs Krefeld Penguins game (Kloten won 7-2) and the both teams showed a huge different in their quality. But the top teams in the DEL understand their hockey too.
who said that the DEL is better than the NLA? i have never spoken to a hockey fan who had that opinion. in fact, everyone you ask who has seen both leagues agrees that the NLA is ahead in quality. only the DEL top teams could compete in the NLA.
not only that the NLA has the better foreigner due to a better financial background, but also the depth of swiss hockey is much better. the ordinary swiss hockey player in the NLA is much better than the ordinary german hockey player in the DEL. germany hockey is improving a lot, but is still far behind swiss hockey in depth.

forza ambri!

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:10 AM
tepim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
who said that the DEL is better than the NLA? i have never spoken to a hockey fan who had that opinion. in fact, everyone you ask who has seen both leagues agrees that the NLA is ahead in quality. only the DEL top teams could compete in the NLA.!
Quote:
And as I mentioend before, the quality being no where near even the DE.... it was still great to see.

Maybe someday the intrest level in the sport in Swiss will raise the level of talent.
Maybe I misinterpreted the DE in above post so I was feeling I have to defend my league

Old
05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
torero

Quote:
I understand the quality of play is so-so. Great skaters with not so great hands.

tt

So I must say I was impressed. Even when visitng in Zug and Bern you could feel the love for the game and the National League. And as I mentioend before, the quality being no where near even the DE.... it was still great to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tepim View Post
Maybe I misinterpreted the DE in above post so I was feeling I have to defend my league
In fact it is xDerekRx who said it !!! (see first poste of this thread)

you didn't misinterpret anything ... i reacted on that ... and you entered into the discussion as well actually backing my words.

Happy to see that basically all agree on NLA>many other ligues in europe.

Results are also backing it, all our field players are from NLA (swiss ligue.) (results are not based on the focus on our yesterday's victory over sweden ! broader observation is considered)

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
TheFirstSaviour

Hey there, guys! I am moving to Basel in 29 days, where I am excited about the prospect of watching live hockey again! (currently, I live in Bahrain, sigh)

I have a few questions for you.

I understand that Basel was relegated after a disasterous season. What should I expect from the team next season? What is hockey in the second division like in Switzerland?

Furthermore, which NLA team is the closet distance to Basel now? I suppose I will need to support them by default....

Finally, do any of you know anything about mens' recreational hockey in Basel? The only information I can find on the internet is in Swiss German, and unfortunately I can not understand the language, yet. I would love to get ahold of a team that needs players well before next season kicks off.

Any feedback that you could provide me in any of these contexts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to speaking with you all in the near future.

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 07:02 AM
tepim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstSaviour View Post
Hey there, guys! I am moving to Basel in 29 days, where I am excited about the prospect of watching live hockey again! (currently, I live in Bahrain, sigh)

I'm not the Basel expert, but I give it a try

Quote:
I understand that Basel was relegated after a disasterous season. What should I expect from the team next season? What is hockey in the second division like in Switzerland?
As the roster will change next season, it's difficult to say what you can expect from the team. I recommend visiting a game Basel vs Lausanne and than decide if you like NLB hockey.

Quote:
Furthermore, which NLA team is the closet distance to Basel now? I suppose I will need to support them by default....
The closest NLA team is ZSC Lions, Zurich (next season the defending Swiss Champion ) about 1 hour to travel. Another option would be Bern, a little more than an hour to travel, try both, I'm a little biased but a lot of people are impressed by the boisterous atmosphere in Bern's Arena.

Quote:
Finally, do any of you know anything about mens' recreational hockey in Basel? The only information I can find on the internet is in Swiss German, and unfortunately I can not understand the language, yet. I would love to get ahold of a team that needs players well before next season kicks off.
I found on the internet this site from a hockey club. It's in German too. But here is the contact. I'm not sure, if this team is that what you are looking for but mail him in English, maybe he can help you in all your Basel related hockey questions.

Hope you will enjoy your stay in Basel.

Old
05-26-2008, 01:17 PM
TheFirstSaviour

Thank you very much for your reply, tepim. I appreciate your information and time!

Good luck in the innagural Champions' League next season!

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
nada

Quote:

Any feedback that you could provide me in any of these contexts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to speaking with you all in the near future.
I grew up in Basel and still live here for a couple more months so I can tell you a few things about the local hockey scene (or lack thereof).

First thing, being a hockey fan here is hard. Basel is really not a hockeytown at all, its all soccer. They built an arena a couple years ago right next to the soccer stadium to get thing going and get a hockey culture started but just no one here really cares. Sometimes I think the only reason people know about the arena is because theres a pretty successful night club in the basement.

Were talking about attendances of below 2'000, BY FAR the worst in the league, compared to the 25'000 average for the soccer club.

There even was an anonymous sponsor who bolstered the budget, but seeing there was no fan support and just how bad the team sucked, he pulled out. Now they had an absolutely horrible season and are down in the second division, resulting in zero coverage for the club and less tv/sponsorship-money. Its really looking dark right now, and the way the league is structured, the chances are slim that they'll get back up.

So if youre not a diehard hockey fan who needs to get his hockey fix no matter the quality or athmosphere then Id say forget about watching hockey in Basel, its not worth it. The team is horrible, the arena is far from being cozy and youre alone with a couple of drunk hardcore fans.

The closest first division teams are in Bern, Zürich, Kloten and Zug, all about an hour away. Id recommend going to Bern, its worth the trip. They fit 17'000 people into the building, averaging about 15'000 per game I think. The important games are all sellouts and the people are actually passionate about hockey.

The arena itself is old but still quite nice. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostFinance-Arena

As for recreational hockey, Im sure there are a few teams in Basel but I dont know much about it as I dont play myself. But there are only three rinks in the whole town if Im not mistaken so it shouldnt be that hard to find em .

nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Well since their relegation Basel is in a rebuilding mode... Since all of their previous players had contracts for the 1st division.

Like said before, Basel is a soccer-city. I'm not into Soccer but you definitely should go to a soccer game in basel since they've got the biggest attendance in Swizterland... The good thing about Basel being a Soccer-City is that you can sit wherever you want in the hockey arena. LOL

I recommend Games against La Chaux-de-Fonds, Lausanne, Ajoie and Visp. If you want to see future 1st Division Players/Stars you should definitely watch the Games against the GCK Lions since they're the farm team of the ZSC Lions (the current champion as mentioned before)....

I hope you don't just stay in Basel, since Switzerland has a lot more to offer. Hockey Games in Bern and Zurich are also special. Bern will open a renovated BernArena this Winter and Zurich has opened their newly renovated Hallenstadion two years ago. So this is definitly 1st division places to go. And when you're around Zurich you can also go to Kloten which is 5 min from the airport away. A derby between cantonal-rival Kloten Flyers and ZSC Lions is a must in the Swiss Hockey Cultur. The Same as a game between the SC Bern and the SC Langnau Tigers...

If you have questions you can PM me... I live in the suburbans of Zurich.

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
WeberStreit

Hi

I'm a season ticketholder in Bern. The building is quite old, but they renovate it right now for over $100 mio. Hw long do you stay in Switzerland? The NY Rangers will play at the 30 september against SC Bern... I absolutley don't reconement you to watch a hockey game in Basel. Next season, the building will be mostly empty. I'd go to Bern.
Or a derby between Kloten and ZSC.

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
xDerekRx

Ha I should respond to my saying DEL is better than NLA.

Ive only seen 1 game in each league so my opinion only goes that far. I probably just saw a ebtter DEL game than a NLA game. So my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt as they say.

But I was much excited to see how the hockey culture is growing in Switzerland. I felt very comfortable at a bar in zurich being able to watch 3 diff NLA playoff games on the different TVs. Something Id find hard to do in certain parts of Germany.