Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss Hockey

Old
05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
TheFirstSaviour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nada View Post
I grew up in Basel and still live here for a couple more months so I can tell you a few things about the local hockey scene (or lack thereof).
Thanks for taking the time to reply as well, Nada! I am disappointed that the game is not that big in Basel, however I am certain that it is much bigger than it is in Bahrain.

I look forward to seeing some of the bigger NLA teams play, however I am a big believer in supporting the community as well. Therefore, I will be at the Basel matches pushing the attendence closer to the 2,000 mark. I can handle drunk fans. I am an avid football supporter as well.

I hope to see you at the rink!

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 01:16 PM
TheFirstSaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackster View Post
If you have questions you can PM me... I live in the suburbans of Zurich.
Thank you as well Crackster. I am really looking forward to seeing some games in both Bern and Zurich also. I have heard nothing but glowing reports about games and fans in Switzerland.

I really appreciate your recommendations about who to try and see in Basel!

Old
05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
TheFirstSaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
Hi

I'm a season ticketholder in Bern. The building is quite old, but they renovate it right now for over $100 mio. Hw long do you stay in Switzerland? The NY Rangers will play at the 30 september against SC Bern... I absolutley don't reconement you to watch a hockey game in Basel. Next season, the building will be mostly empty. I'd go to Bern.
Or a derby between Kloten and ZSC.
I will be living in Basel for three years, at least. It would be great to see the Rangers and SC Bern play! I'd imagine that tickets will be hard to come by, however.

So far, it looks like Bern is the frontrunner....

More Basel bashing, eh? That's too bad.

Thanks for taking the time to add some more information, WeberStreit. I really appreciate it.

Old
06-02-2008, 11:04 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstSaviour View Post
I will be living in Basel for three years, at least. It would be great to see the Rangers and SC Bern play! I'd imagine that tickets will be hard to come by, however.

So far, it looks like Bern is the frontrunner....

More Basel bashing, eh? That's too bad.

Thanks for taking the time to add some more information, WeberStreit. I really appreciate it.
My friend ... head for Bern. The best swiss hockey experience. without a shadow of a doubt. (best european attendance and hockey is a culture their, good hockey and an amazing atmosphere)

enjoy it.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
TheFirstSaviour

What type of TV coverage is there in Switzerland? Can you go to the pub and watch your team play on TV? Are all away games covered? Does the coverage vary across the country? What is the coverage like in Basel? What is night is "Hockey Night in Switzerland?"

Old
06-04-2008, 05:53 AM
devilman

Well, there's no Hockey Night Show here, soccer is #1 in TV ratings in Switzerland, and they rather show some boring soccer than hockey.

Usually gamedays are on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon. To watch games on TV I recommend to order Teleclub:

http://www.teleclub.ch/Kabelnetz/Tel...x?rollout=true

You have to take Basics and Sports, they show mostely 2 games each gameday.

On free TV (SF2) you only see the highlights.

Don't know about any Pub to show Hockey games.

devilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 07:26 AM
TheFirstSaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilman View Post
Well, there's no Hockey Night Show here, soccer is #1 in TV ratings in Switzerland, and they rather show some boring soccer than hockey.

Usually gamedays are on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon. To watch games on TV I recommend to order Teleclub:

Great advice! I will bookmark that site for sure (and learn to speak Swiss German, of course).

Friday and Saturday nights at the rink sounds great to me. Even if there are only 2,300 fans with me.

Any chance that Basel will get promoted again?

Old
06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstSaviour View Post
Great advice! I will bookmark that site for sure (and learn to speak Swiss German, of course).

Friday and Saturday nights at the rink sounds great to me. Even if there are only 2,300 fans with me.

Any chance that Basel will get promoted again?
VERY doubtful in the near future. As it stands now, practically all players and sponsors of last year are gone because all contracts were void the moment the team was relegated. The budget is projected at 2,5 million CHF, down from last years 8,5 million. They have agreed to a partnership with Lugano, which is not really a NHL-like farm-team type arrangement, but still Lugano will send some young players over who arent quite ready for the NLA.

Also the players they have signed to fill out the roster are apparently pretty young, most under 22. The plan now seems to be to develop those young players and improve their own junior teams. The "GM" has publicly stated he doesn't have any set expectations for next season, he just wants an environment in which all the young players can improve. He also stated they will think about a promotion in three years at earliest, barring any miracles.

So you see the whole thing kinda collapsed like a house of cards. all in all it could be a long year again at the St.Jakob-Arena. I didnt care much about the team the last two years but right now I fell pity for them.

Its cool though, that you're so enthusiastic about seeing them play, if there were more hockey fans like you around here it might actually work to establish hockey in Basel next time around

nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2008, 10:55 PM
xDerekRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilman View Post

When I was in Zurich and even in another city (Cant remember if it was Zug or Bern at the time), the Mr Pickwick aka Oliver Twist bar chain seemed to have hockey games on.

Granted this was playoff time. We were able to watch 3, yes 3, different playoff games at an Oliver Twist/Mr Pick Wick one night in Zurich. I swear one of the games looked like it was in HD? But maybe they had some kind of satalite or hockey package? I was impressed that many games had TV coverage.

So to the person living in Basel, check and see if they have an OliverTwist/Pickwick. Its a pub/restaurant chain that has a very irish pub like feel. Lots of english speaking folks. I think alot of tourists end up flowing to a place like that. Both locations we visited had hockey on TV or people asking us about hockey.

xDerekRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Sure this is not impossible...

Teleclub which is something like Premiere (for the German-Nativs), brings 2-3 Games live. But just the live coverage, with no pre/post-game show or intermission report...

I'm sure that there are sport bars in Switzerland who are showing hockey since the offer is pretty good. I know a bar in Kloten who is showing games. So there must be at least one in Zurich...

I have subscribe Teleclub, so I watch the games with friends at home... It's a lot cheaper, since beer and drinks in Switzerland are ****ing expensive.... When you buy the stuff in the grocery stores and mix that stuff at home you save a lot of money... LOL

You will enjoy Switzerland... I hope you don't get a shock, since the weather is totaly different from bahrain... Don't know how living costs are, but Switzerland is a pretty expensive place to be...

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
ziqo

During regular season, the german speaking tv doesn't show live games. TSR2 air the french derby fribourg - geneva and italian speaking TSI2 shows every ambri-lugano game. But that's it for live games until the playoffs.
Then you have Teleclub (Pay-TV) and Bluewin (I-TV) where you can pretty much watch almost every game.
There's is far more hockey coverage on the French and Italian speaking tv

ziqo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
WeberStreit

By the way, here you can find tickets for the NY Rangers games in Bern:

https://ticketportal.showare.ch/Perf...T&EVENTID=1133

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 09:50 AM
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
By the way, here you can find tickets for the NY Rangers games in Bern:

https://ticketportal.showare.ch/Perf...T&EVENTID=1133
Thanks, I just ordered a couple. Surprised to see that there are still so many tickets available though, I thought there would be more of an interest, even if its only an exhibition game.

nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

People in Switzerland are crying a little bit because the Ticketprices are that high... And they all think, that the Rangers are coming to Switzerland and will play with their B-Team...

However I got mine for both the Games! I know that those Games will be great to attend!

Old
08-05-2008, 06:52 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
People in Switzerland are crying a little bit because the Ticketprices are that high... And they all think, that the Rangers are coming to Switzerland and will play with their B-Team...

However I got mine for both the Games! I know that those Games will be great to attend!
Do the Rangers have enough depth to have a "B" team?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Do the Rangers have enough depth to have a "B" team?

LOL, good point...

They do have their own Affiliate in the AHL. So basically they could play with their Farm Team. But of course they won't risk losing a game against a swiss team.

I'm excited and realy looking forward to those two Games!

Old
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

The Rangers won't travel to Europe with a 50 men roster. They will probably use the games against Bern and Magnitogorsk to decide who the last cuts will be, but most of the lineup will be the same as the one facing Tampa Bay in the season opener.

stv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:26 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
The Rangers won't travel to Europe with a 50 men roster. They will probably use the games against Bern and Magnitogorsk to decide who the last cuts will be, but most of the lineup will be the same as the one facing Tampa Bay in the season opener.
Yes i agree with you.

They may just play "lighter" but i also expect the team to be the one meeting the Lightenings later.

And the "lighter" will depend on the ongoing score.

Anyway the teams that play at the beginning of the seasons tend to be a bit different ... pairs are tried ... searching for the optimal match in skills ... finetunning the lines ...

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Hey, I fully agree with you!

I had a long discussion on a swiss hockey-forum about this. And there are many ignorants....

Old
08-30-2008, 02:08 PM
TheFirstSaviour

Hey guys, sorry for disappearing on you. I am fully established in Basel now, however!

I took in my first EHC Basel match a few weeks ago - a pre-season win over Freibourg. The team is very young, as many of you pointed out, however they seem to have a lot of energy and belief. Of course the drop from the NLA is significant, however at least now the team has a chance of winning a few games for its few devoted fans. I am, however, very surprised that the team has not decreased ticket prices since last season! So are the season ticket holders, it should be said. Many have told me that they will not be renewing because of that! What a shame.

Local amatuer hockey is pretty good as well. I took in a Regio Liga 2 pre-season game (good level of Senior Mens' hockey) and a Novizen Top game as well. The play was not too shabby, to be honest, although I did miss seeing players finish their checks regularly.

The rink is homely and well sized for the community. I look forward to seeing many games this year and making the trip around the country with my 1/2 priced rail card to see many NLA games as well.

I have decided to go with cable.com so I could get the NASN channel which I believe shows live Hockey Night in Canada games - at least it did four years ago when I lived in England. I held my first Uni Hockey (Floorball/Floor Hockey) practice at the International School of Basel this past Friday as well.

Thank you all for the good advice and I hope to see you at the rink! Send me a PM is you want to come out to Basel or live in the area.

Regards,

Jeff

Old
08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
TheFirstSaviour

Quote:
NHL teams do not have B teams. They will however use a deep roster (13 forwards and 8 Dmen?) and give fringe players and young developing players an increased role and significantly more minutes. The bigger star players will most likely still dress (barring injury or fatigue, of course), however be kept to between 12-15 minutes per game (mostly on special teams). Lundquist may not dress in both games, and the team will possibly split time in each game for the goaltenders. I still expect them to be carry three. In other words, it will still be the Rangers playing in Bern, in my opinion.

Old
08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Great that you enjoyed those frew pre-season games....

Are you attending to the victoria cup in Bern?

Old
08-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Saviour, have you attended EHC Basel's matches in the end of the last (07-08) season?

08-31-2008, 04:41 AM
TheFirstSaviour

Quote:
Great that you enjoyed those frew pre-season games....

Are you attending to the victoria cup in Bern?
Is the Victoria Cup the series with the Rangers? If so, I am still undecided. It is quite possible however.

I am also VERY interested in hearing about tickets for the World Championships this year! Any news on that front?

Old
08-31-2008, 04:43 AM
TheFirstSaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Saviour, have you attended EHC Basel's matches in the end of the last (07-08) season?
Unfortunately not. I only arrived in Basel last June. I moved permanently three weeks ago. So far I am very impressed with the city and country.