HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

PGT: Calgary @ Atlanta

View Poll Results: Who was tonight's MVP?
Jarome Iginla 8 66.67%
Daymond Langkow 1 8.33%
Wayne Primeau 2 16.67%
Other - please specify 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Snoil11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
PGT: Calgary @ Atlanta

Guys, please keep it civilized.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 08:32 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Why on earth a team fighting for points starts their backup is beyond me...

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

David Hale / Adrian Aucoin are MVP tonight, of course for Atlanta.

__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbourmouth View Post
You sure it wasn't the ref again?

As I said last night, this team sucks ****. Full of veteran thrash. They have no business being where they are in the standings (they've won atleast 10 games this year they had no business winning). I hope they don't make the playoffs, so we can start to rebuild (give walking papers to Lankgow and Huselius). The current roster isn't winning anything in the near future. Of course this rebuild will never happen with good old stubborn Darryl at the helm. Darryl's response to the problem will be to sign some good old "Western" boys that were good a decade ago.
Are you ****ing kidding me? Once again, last game vs. the Caps was a loss due to the bad reffing and the flames terrible play. I bolded that part for you in my post. And, this team is going to make the playoffs, this is just the typical flames, losing a few games against teams they should beat, then they come back winning 5 of their last 6 and everyone praises them. Looking at your posts, you only seem to post when the flames play bad, never when they play good.

Future_KLM_Pilot, is that you?

edit: I'm not going to post anymore since I realize i'll probably get an infraction and i've managed to keep myself pretty clean so far so yeah.

Last edited by Phaneufed: 03-13-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
ComixZone

Nolan doesnt pick up the backcheck on the 2nd goal against....Hale was caught out of position how many times? Aucoin pinches in the 3rd period, misses the net and it results a goal against WHEN HIS TEAM IS ALREADY UP 1 GOAL?

Just sooo many bone head plays tonight it was disgusting. Well, hopefully they come out angry next game. Keenan's gotta be pissed, and Hale played his way out of the lineup with this one...

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 08:57 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

The Flames showed that they don't always have the heart and desire to win, which is why they will be nothing more than 1st round exits (IF they make the playoffs) unless they get their heads out of their ass.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
you know they played awesome when you open with that line lol.

Flames left 4 points on the table the last 2 games. We'll see if it comes back to haunt them later.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

This team doesn't appear to really have any defensive presence. After Phanuef and Regher, it really trails off. Sarich and Aucoin are alright, but really prone to mental errors. Vandermeer, Eriksson, and Hale are bad more often than not. Warrener's alright, but age and injuries are catching up. Hopefully Sutter, can address this in the summer.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 10:12 PM
KiwiFlamesFan

Now's relly not the time to start droping games to weaker teams, especially not with the Wild and Avs breathing down our necks and also the Nucks not too far behind.

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:13 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Ugh completely unacceptable. Just cannot continue to give away these points. Just DUMB plays in the second and third and they cost us the game. Aucoin and Hale were both brutal tonight. Have a comfortable lead and they want to pinch and take chances? Come on have to be smarter then that. I'd have no problem sitting them both on Sunday.

Cujo didn't play well either. Defence didn't help him out, but a couple of those goals he should have had. I like how he had played so far for us, but we need the points and wins and Kipper should have been playing.

Nolan where have you gone? Pretty lazy tonight and that goes for Conroy too tonight. That whole line did nothing. They all have to be better. Huselius I love how you were physical and were sticking up for Iggy, but what a dumb time to take a penalty. Any other time and I love what you did, but in the last minute you can't lose your composure and take a dumb penalty. The mental aspect of the game seems to be lacking from a lot of the guys tonight and lately. Extremely frustrating and Keenan must be going crazy.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Cyrus

I come home from work, see it's 2-0, I'm pretty pleased. Get in the car to go out for the evening, and it's 4-2, still reasonable. I turn on the radio on the drive home...and livid.

From what I've read of your guys' comments so far it sounds pretty ugly. As has been said all year long we need a swift kick in the heart to get this team going. Was Cujo really that bad tonight?

****** night for sure, but again, it's better than losing to a NW division opponent so I can stomach this for now.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Skyguard

Quote:
ok - this is the nicest thing I can say --> I am currently ashamed to be a Flames fan. This team STINKS and I have no desire to watch them any more this season. Hope they clean house next year and get rid of all the loafers. The veterans on this team (with the exception of Iggy) are weak, pathetic players who don't play with any heart. They are floaters and coasters.

I hope we trade Phaneuf before the rest of the league realizes how overrated he is. He has the weakest passing skills of anyone on the team.

Aucoin + Nolan - you ought to be ashamed of yourselves! you call yourselves professional hockey players? You are pure garbage.

Sure Hale made mistakes, but he's just a kid... it's the veterans on this team that are not leading by example... it seems only Iginla knows how to demonstrate.

I think Keenan should stop trying to be their friends and bag skate them for the remainder of the regular season. They deserve it and maybe it would keep them alert for the remainder of the season. These players seem to think they are owed a trip to the finals... they don't even deserve to make the playoffs. They SUCK.

I also think Keenan could send a very strong message by BENCHING a few people (veterans included) embarass them. slap them around. whatever it takes... we can't have meek/weak leadership - time to light a fire under their butts!

I am so disappointed in this team that it disgusts me.

<PUKE>

Last edited by Skyguard: 03-14-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Skyguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Snoil11

I am still very disappointed by the Flames' embarassing play last night. While you have to give credit to Atlanta for their courage and effort in the last two periods, I cannot believe that the Flames let this game slip out of their hands. Atlanta was such a mediocre team in the first period and was totally controlled by the Flames. One may argue, that if Iginla's one-timer in third hit the goal rather than the post, we would have one this game, but this would clearly miss the point.
Our team is well-known for breakdowns and cocky play after a lead, but last night's game throws up some questions:
Why does a team like Atlanta, who isn't known for their physical play, outhit the Flames? The commentators on South Sports praised the physical play by both teams and mentioned the Flames' grinding style numerous times, but actually it was the Thrashers, who have been a physical force for the last two periods. This leads to question #2:
Why does the Flames adopt the opponent's playing style instead of sticking to their game plan? We aren't among the most skilled and quickest teams in the league, so why do we try to play this run-and-gun hockey, the Thrashers and Caps love to play, when we got a lead?
But the most mind-boggling issue about last night's loss is the following one: why does Keenan match the Kovalchuk-line, which has been Atlanta's sole threat all night, with Hale and Aucoin?

Old
03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Was Cujo really that bad tonight?
It wasn't his fault...Hale was completely out of position on at least 3 of the goals, and left Holik all alone in the slot where he had all day to blast one by Cujo. Aucoin wasn't very good either.

Just another typical heartless game after looking great early on. The best line throughout the entire game (especially after the 1st) was Primeau, Yelle, and Lombardi.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
A little perspective from an Atlanta fan:

You all played a great game last night in Philips. It's strange that you guys haven't won here since the team was the Atlanta Flames, though. I would have thought even in the years before the lockout (a period when Atlanta really sucked) you all would have walked away with a couple wins. And you almost did last night.

Quote:
But the most mind-boggling issue about last night's loss is the following one: why does Keenan match the Kovalchuk-line, which has been Atlanta's sole threat all night, with Hale and Aucoin?
I think it was either an oversight, or he underestimated Atlanta's third line (Kovalchuk was teamed up with Holik and Thorburn on the third; he's usually on the first line). Waddell decided to mix up the lines a little yesterday. However, I would have thought that error would have been fixed rather quickly once you guys saw what was going on.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Snoil11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I think it was either an oversight, or he underestimated Atlanta's third line (Kovalchuk was teamed up with Holik and Thorburn on the third; he's usually on the first line). Waddell decided to mix up the lines a little yesterday. However, I would have thought that error would have been fixed rather quickly once you guys saw what was going on.
I don't want to belittle your other guys on the first two lines, but IMO Kovalchuk is your sole top-star and therefore has to be matched with the top-defensive pairing, regardless how his line is officially called.

Btw: Among the few things, that I appreciated during last night's game, was the crowd at Phillips-Arena, which has been the loudest, that I can remember this season.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:45 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
It wasn't his fault...Hale was completely out of position on at least 3 of the goals, and left Holik all alone in the slot where he had all day to blast one by Cujo. Aucoin wasn't very good either.

Just another typical heartless game after looking great early on. The best line throughout the entire game (especially after the 1st) was Primeau, Yelle, and Lombardi.
That Bobby Holik goal was 100% his fault...an average slap shot scores....

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
I don't want to belittle your other guys on the first two lines, but IMO Kovalchuk is your sole top-star and therefore has to be matched with the top-defensive pairing, regardless how his line is officially called.
I know exactly what you mean. Certainly I would have placed the top D-line against any line with the big-name star player (Kovalchuk, Iginla, Ovechkin, et al) in it. If I were behind the Calgary bench and I saw what was going on, though, I know I would have made some changes, and fast. Giving Kovalchuk room to work is just asking for trouble.

Quote:
Btw: Among the few things, that I appreciated during last night's game, was the crowd at Phillips-Arena, which has been the loudest, that I can remember this season.
Thanks for that. I wish I could have been at that game myself. If I had today off from work, I know I would have been there.

Good luck with the rest of your season and in the playoffs!

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
That Bobby Holik goal was 100% his fault...an average slap shot scores....
From 30 feet out with no one around? Yeah its weak...but why does he even have that shot?

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:01 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
From 30 feet out with no one around? Yeah its weak...but why does he even have that shot?

True, he shouldn't of had that shot. But unfortunately, he did, and it was one he should have easily saved.

This is a team that when on their game and when they feel like winning, they can match up against any team in the league. When they're not on their game, it's one of the most fragile teams in the league. I say fragile not in the sense that they lack physical play, but that it doesn't take much to get them off their game. At a 3-0 lead, that's when you step on your opponent's throat and make sure they feel like they don't have a chance to step back into the game. The opposing team gets any kind of momentum, and the Flames back up and let them walk right in and have their way. That's what really irritates me about watching this team.

They're making mistakes that a veteran team like this should not be making.

Players like Iginla, Langkow, Huselius (aside from that stupid penalty late in the 3rd) and Primeau all played well, but guys like Tanguay, Nolan, Conroy, Hale and Aucoin (as well as Joseph in the last 40 minutes) all deserve to watch the next game from the press-box for their pathetic performance and lack of effort in this game.

Old
03-15-2008, 02:52 AM
FrenchKheldar

Since the GDT is closed, I will post here.

First off, this was a great game to attend to, I got some great cheap seats in the lower bowl (since the Thrashers season is basically over, lots of discounts yeah !) and boy did I pick the right game to do so. Our season has been so miserable that it was surprising to see Atlanta play with so much heart for once. Obviously, both D were quite loose, which surprised me a little for you guys. I really like the Flames but don't get to see them much, and I was disappointed by your D...
Anyhow, it was a pleasure to watch Phaneuf and Kovy go back and forth and to watch the always hard-working Iginla.

That being said, I took some shots during the warm-up and the game, and I felt like sharing !
If some of you want higher resolution for a wallpaper or whatnot, please send me a message...

Enjoy !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frenchk...7604123169471/

FrenchKheldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchKheldar View Post
That being said, I took some shots during the warm-up and the game, and I felt like sharing !
If some of you want higher resolution for a wallpaper or whatnot, please send me a message...

Enjoy !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frenchk...7604123169471/

Those pictures turned out great. Thanks for comin' by and sharing them.

Old
03-15-2008, 02:10 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchKheldar View Post
Since the GDT is closed, I will post here.

First off, this was a great game to attend to, I got some great cheap seats in the lower bowl (since the Thrashers season is basically over, lots of discounts yeah !) and boy did I pick the right game to do so. Our season has been so miserable that it was surprising to see Atlanta play with so much heart for once. Obviously, both D were quite loose, which surprised me a little for you guys. I really like the Flames but don't get to see them much, and I was disappointed by your D...
It was a bad game for Calgary in general but Atlanta deserved credit for what they pulled off later on. I know it still shocks some people that Calgary's defense isn't top calibre anymore but it has come to be accepted among most people who've followed this team that it's been pretty porous this season. What's been keeping Calgary in the middle of the pack this year has been Kipprusoff's play since January.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote