HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Officiating = WWF Officiating

Old
03-14-2008, 07:22 AM
RC51

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Shock.

Habs get badly outplayed, and knee jerk reaction ENGAGE!

Do you feel better now that you've tried to put some of the blame elsewhere? Well, it didn't work, the only ones responsible for that performance were the Habs.
Yes your right and when the calls all go against the Sens in the 5th game of the Habs Sens playoffs series you should say EXACTLY the same thing. BUT will you?????

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Shock.

Do you feel better now that you've tried to put some of the blame elsewhere? Well, it didn't work, the only ones responsible for that performance were the Habs.

I agree that the ref's need to find some consistancy, but we didn't lose the game because of poor officiating. The Sens played probably their best game all year defensively and the Habs couldn't get in their zone to set anything up. The Sens had guys blocking all passing lanes and they had a man on our open players all night.

The Spezza goal that everybody is whining about was NOT a high stick. Any fool can see that if they watch the replays of it. His stick was below the crossbar when he made contact with the puck.....so people need to stop whining about that....it wasn't the deciding factor in this game.

The refs could have called a few more penalties against Ottawa for hits from behind and a couple interference calls....but other than that, they didn't blatenly cost us the game.....the Habs were just plain flat and we lost because of it.

If someone can show me a video proving that the Spezza goal was a high-stick, I encourage you to post it!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:29 AM
SP

My favourite part was at the end when Kostitsyn elbowed Kelly in the face, but Schubert got penalized.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
My favourite part was at the end when Kostitsyn elbowed Kelly in the face, but Schubert got penalized.
If you look closely at the replay you'll see that Kosty's shoulder touches first. It was a solid hit, not an elbow.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandry77 View Post
I think we would had lost the game anyway. But the first spezza goal was redirected off his foot. The question i have because he redirected on purpose most definately but does it have to touch his skate to count for a non goal?? It hit his shin pad.

And for 100% sure the 2nd goal spezza touched the puck in the air over the cross bar so it should not matter if he touches the puck after. Shouldn't the ref blow the play down since the puck was touched over the cross bar. I think the ref made a bad call, it happens but by the standards of the nhl should that be a goal???? For the puck to go from middle of the top the net to back of price it had to been touched by spezza. And if he is waiving off the goal for the touching the puck why would you do that it makes no sense by the standards and rules of the NHL. I am just wondering no one is perfect but its confusing when standards are followed sometimes and not in other cases. It can be fustrating by any fan when it happens to your team. It happens to every team and I think it happened to us tonight.

GO HABS GO
we are still in it!

No kidding.. i switched off RDS HD to listen to Sportsnet non HD for a while because Pierre and Yvon were going on about this forever... It's finally a period later when someone probably told them what the rule was...

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Blaming the refs is an excuse. And it's a ****** excuse. Enough already.
Word.

Blaming the refs for a loss is very dumb.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:50 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Officiating in the NHL is very incosnsitant regardless.
And in the playoffs it gets even worse, so be prepared for a bit of frustration

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
This is ridiculous. I counted at least six penalties (glaring) not called tonight (5 against that should have gone to the Sens) and Spezza's second goal. Someone has to do something about this. These ****ing ******** fines put up by the NHL to keep everyone quiet are ********. The NHL is a joke right now. It the same crap every night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The last stat I saw had Montreal with the best +/- in terms of PP/PK chances in the NHL. You're ATLEAST in the top 5 still. The refs weren't a problem last night, nor do they ever seem to be a problem for you guys.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
I know, the name change has been 6 years now and I still am dumbfounded at how people still call it the "WWF"
i am dumbfounded that anyone cares or watches it.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
I know, the name change has been 6 years now and I still am dumbfounded at how people still call it the "WWF"
Maybe because

A) Nobody watchs it anymore from the WWF era.
B) WWF sounds better then WWE and it was dumb to change it

I'm dumbfounded by how people can call it WWE as it isn't entertainment in the slightest, a federation, maybe.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Maybe because

A) Nobody watchs it anymore from the WWF era.
B) WWF sounds better then WWE and it was dumb to change it

I'm dumbfounded by how people can call it WWE as it isn't entertainment in the slightest, a federation, maybe.
they had to legally change it. WWF was already taken by the wildlife foundation

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Word.

I am not blaming the refs for the loss but rather shifting momentum in the game. By missing calls (they've done a piss poor job all year around the league) they shift momentum one way or another. In last night's game they did it again by missing (even though the ref was looking right at it!!!) the four minute high stick against Hamrlik. It could have had an effect on the game. It's happening every night across the league. Millions of dollars in playoff money is at stake. It just seems so ridiculous.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:52 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Shock.

I bet if the canadien women had not won the gold against the americans last olympics you would say otherwise. That was a game that if the americans would have won, it would have been 100% due to officiating.

It's not like the officials aren't partially to blame, lets be real. Even as a diehard habs fan, I see it happen to other teams we play at times too and I can admit when the habs win a game due to bad officiating just like I can when they lose one cause of it, bottom line is, every team has to deal with it, it just seemed a bit rigged the other night tho. The opposite of the canadian womens team game, the officials simply called no penalties when ottawa was doing twice as many bad actions, and who got more penalties in the end? kthx

Old
03-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
I bet if the canadien women had not won the gold against the americans last olympics you would say otherwise. That was a game that if the americans would have won, it would have been 100% due to officiating.

It's not like the officials aren't partially to blame, lets be real. Even as a diehard habs fan, I see it happen to other teams we play at times too and I can admit when the habs win a game due to bad officiating just like I can when they lose one cause of it, bottom line is, every team has to deal with it, it just seemed a bit rigged the other night tho. The opposite of the canadian womens team game, the officials simply called no penalties when ottawa was doing twice as many bad actions, and who got more penalties in the end? kthx
Amen brother.

Old
03-14-2008, 09:54 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
they had to legally change it. WWF was already taken by the wildlife foundation
yeah but for how many years did both co-exist? Vince McMahon could've bought the WWF and renamed them instead of renaming his own company, no joke.

Old
03-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Word.

I don't think the complaining is so much about blaming them for a loss. We all know it goes both ways even if we're more vocal about the times it's against us.

What we complain about is that as hockey fans we don't want the referees to have such a huge outcome on the games when they are clearly in the wrong. It's very frustrating.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
I am not blaming the refs for the loss but rather shifting momentum in the game. By missing calls (they've done a piss poor job all year around the league) they shift momentum one way or another. In last night's game they did it again by missing (even though the ref was looking right at it!!!) the four minute high stick against Hamrlik. It could have had an effect on the game. It's happening every night across the league. Millions of dollars in playoff money is at stake. It just seems so ridiculous.
Thing is, I don't mind it when the ref doesn't see it. But the ottawa game was blatently rigged practically. The refs each time I saw 6 penalties not called on Ottawa in the 2nd, were always looking at it happen each friggin time. How blind can you be? Interference right infront of you, holding right infront of you, 2 mtl guys get mobbed hard roughing/interference back to back both with a ref seeing it clearly and no call. Thats what pisses me off, refs who try to not make too many calls in a game. Just do your job and call the penalties you see, cause if you do call 10 penalties for each team in the 1st period, chances are they WILL calm down more in the 2nd and 3rd. But no, they ignore everything so duh the other team is going to keep doing bad things until they get caught. When you get caught 1/8 times maximum in a 2-3 nothing lead, duh your going to keep doing it.

The refs simply aren't doing the right thing for the league, they're giving players permission to do dirty things and thats never good. We don't need one of our players getting permanently injured in a game cause, oh Mr Ref decided not to make any calls and the other team did something terrible cause they thought they could get away with it.

Old
03-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
The refs are a lot better than they used to be. Pre-lockout hockey was unbearable to watch during the third period. This is annoying at times, but I really wonder how many people that go around saying this is the worst they've seen have watched hockey for more than 2-3 years.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
The refs are a lot better than they used to be. Pre-lockout hockey was unbearable to watch during the third period. This is annoying at times, but I really wonder how many people that go around saying this is the worst they've seen have watched hockey for more than 2-3 years.
If you saw the Canada vs USA womens olympic hockey, that was the king **** of bad reffing. Those guys should have been arrested.

Old
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
If you saw the Canada vs USA womens olympic hockey, that was the king **** of bad reffing. Those guys should have been arrested.
That was biased officiating, I don't think any referee in the NHL is biased, at least I hope not.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Max Power

All I have to say is wow
Suddenly a high stick is not a high stick
Illegal goals are being allowed
Refs are conspiring and not making any calls

Life must suck as a Montreal fan since the world is against you. I really need to watch RDS as I'm sure it will help explain why there are so many warped views of reality here. I remember at one point the crowed was moaning for penalties every time a sens player dared to battle for the puck. Just plain silly

Guys have a little bit of dignity and class and admit when your team just got beat. It's only one game and there are two more to come.

I tip my hat to those classy hab fans on this board who realize it's just one game and that the Sens just played well. The only thing that counts now is what happens in the playoffs, this other stuff is just window dressing

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Thing is, I don't mind it when the ref doesn't see it. But the ottawa game was blatently rigged practically. The refs each time I saw 6 penalties not called on Ottawa in the 2nd, were always looking at it happen each friggin time. How blind can you be? Interference right infront of you, holding right infront of you, 2 mtl guys get mobbed hard roughing/interference back to back both with a ref seeing it clearly and no call. Thats what pisses me off, refs who try to not make too many calls in a game. Just do your job and call the penalties you see, cause if you do call 10 penalties for each team in the 1st period, chances are they WILL calm down more in the 2nd and 3rd. But no, they ignore everything so duh the other team is going to keep doing bad things until they get caught. When you get caught 1/8 times maximum in a 2-3 nothing lead, duh your going to keep doing it.

The refs simply aren't doing the right thing for the league, they're giving players permission to do dirty things and thats never good. We don't need one of our players getting permanently injured in a game cause, oh Mr Ref decided not to make any calls and the other team did something terrible cause they thought they could get away with it.
They should remove the silly fine for talking about the officiating. Let the coach's say what they will after the games. Shame those ******** into doing their jobs.

Old
03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
That was biased officiating, I don't think any referee in the NHL is biased, at least I hope not.
I am not so sure. They definitely seem to have their favourites

Old
03-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
All I have to say is wow
Suddenly a high stick is not a high stick
Illegal goals are being allowed
Refs are conspiring and not making any calls

Life must suck as a Montreal fan since the world is against you. I really need to watch RDS as I'm sure it will help explain why there are so many warped views of reality here. I remember at one point the crowed was moaning for penalties every time a sens player dared to battle for the puck. Just plain silly

Guys have a little bit of dignity and class and admit when your team just got beat. It's only one game and there are two more to come.

I tip my hat to those classy hab fans on this board who realize it's just one game and that the Sens just played well. The only thing that counts now is what happens in the playoffs, this other stuff is just window dressing
You obviously are blind and chosing to see what you need to to convince yourself it was a well deserved win.

Old
03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm not talking about futility in scoring in the game.

But come on, they "scored" on a high stick.

The ref called it a goal
Waives it off
calls it a goal
waives it off
calls it a goal
calls it a goal.

The ****in' idiot didn't even know what he wanted to call it. They then go review it and it counts? Pronger gets nothing for stamping on Kesler? Laraque gets 3 for an elbow?

The league is a ****ing joke, literally, the officiating is absolutely abhorrent. Plekanec WAITS for the other player to put his stick down for the face-off first.. A RULE. He doesn't.. they drop the puck, then they call it as unfair. Then they THROW Plekanec out fo the circle (Hello, the Ottawa player made the infraction, he's supposed to be thrown out).. Kovalev takes the face-off and penalty that leads to the no goal.

They couldn't call one off-side correctly in the first half of the game. Two too many men on the ice penalties were BLATANTLY ignored.. Two high-sticks, a boatload of interference and hooking (same on the Habs side too, obviously), three blatant hits from behind, all ignored. Completely ignored. It was disgusting, the incompetence at this level is unacceptable for something they market and try to target new audiences.
If it was as bad as you say than it could have altered the course of the game.

Can't really comment on the nature of officiating tonight. I only watched a bit of the first before I had to go to work. However, in that time I did see two separate plays that may have warranted interference calls (Commodore and Volchenkov holding up Higgins who was chasing after the puck after a face off). I am used to such inconsistent officiating in the NHL, which effects 30 teams. I do not know what is a penalty and what is not. A penalty called one game is not called the next, etc.

As for officiating not being a factor in sports as the other team usually merited the outcome because of superior play, I find quite amusing. All of Canada was in an uproar in 02 when Sale and Pelltier were denied gold medals because of terrible officiating in skating. The 02 World Cup was rigged big time. South Korea managed to beat Italy because of favoritism by an incompetent referee named Byron Moreno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Moreno). Moreover, Italy was further denied five legitame goals in the tournament (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Pm4jD5kU4U) and Spain was screwed over big time in their quarterfinal game against Korea (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z4iW8pDnft8&feature=related). We wont even get into the performance of Stacy Livingston in the 02 Women's gold medal game. The penalties ended up being something like 11-2. In essence, at times incompetent officiating plays a role in certain outcomes.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote