HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Mark Streit still deserve to be on the 1st PP Unit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2008, 01:29 PM
  #51
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He deserves to be there now... but going back to his UFA status, he's pretty replaceable if his salary requirements get too big.
If he is easily replaceable, who replaces him? ...and please don;t say S.Kostitsyn because that's a huge dropoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewkHead View Post
Hmmm I understand it would make it more dimensional but again when the guy carrying the puke is not able to get it deep you have to do something. It doesnt mean you cannot come back with him later.

And I don't think we saw Sergei enough to call that he has no one timer attribute. As I remember he did take few one timers when on the PP and it didnt look bad at all.
Getting the puck deep is very easy, it's regaining the puck that's hard to do since the guys on the Habs PP are not great at foreckecking except A.Kostitsyn.

You seem on the PP every nigh, he's been on the 2nd unit for like 2 months and he is not tearing it up while Streit is one of the best point men in the NHL, but I guess on here the facts dont matter as some live in a dream world.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-14-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:35 PM
  #52
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He's had 4 or 5 bad games.

Did we take Markov's privileges away when he sucked for a few weeks back in February? Did we take away Koviu's? Kostitsyn's? Kovalev's last year?

We have the #1 PP in the league and Streit is a huge part of that. We are one of the top teams in the league and Streit has been a big part of that as well

Guys slump. Get over it.
Totaly agree. he was awfull yesterday and pretty bad against Anaheim but that doesnt mean that we should just srtip him of the top PP spot. He has been excellent there since the begining for the season.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
  #53
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
But the question is more Do Higgins deserve a place on the PP
saku? smolinski? ryder?

before higgins skips his turn I'd have them on the bench as well during pp.

smolinski

s.kos.higgins. tender (with his ass in the goalie's face, forget about that weight loss program ) .hamrlik and obyrne ... there u go. good 2nd pp unit.

oh, where's saku? ouf!!! ... I see him, he's on the bench no penalties to be taken on the pp this time!

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
  #54
CrewkHead
Registered User
 
CrewkHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Getting the puck deep is very easy, it's regaining the puck that's hard to do since the guys on the Habs PP are not great at foreckecking except A.Kostitsyn.

You seem on the PP every nigh, he's been on the 2nd unit for like 2 months and he is not tearing it up while Streit is one of the best point men in the NHL, but I guess on here the facts dont matter as some live in a dream world.
Lol ok so you are saying Streit is one of the best point man in the league!? Souray must be god than...I don't know if I'm leaving in a dream but you seem to. Anybody playing with Markov on the point and Kovy as RW could do the job. Yes he got a good slapper and yes he is a decent feeder on the PP but I don't think he is one of the biggest part of Mtl success on the PP. And my point was on a game like the one against the Sens, when the guy creates 3 turn overs on the same PP and you see he is struggling, why not give a chance to S.Kost?

He played 2 years on the point with London and the few times we saw him on the PP with the pleks line it was pretty good.

You may see the things differently but S.K on the point is far from being a bad idea.

CrewkHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:36 PM
  #55
68
Registered User
 
68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
But the question is more Do Higgins deserve a place on the PP
No..

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 03:59 PM
  #56
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
saku? smolinski? ryder?

before higgins skips his turn I'd have them on the bench as well during pp.

smolinski

s.kos.higgins. tender (with his ass in the goalie's face, forget about that weight loss program ) .hamrlik and obyrne ... there u go. good 2nd pp unit.

oh, where's saku? ouf!!! ... I see him, he's on the bench no penalties to be taken on the pp this time!
Koivu is playing well, a lot better than Higgins. And he works hard, which isn't Higgins' case...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:08 PM
  #57
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
It was only a problem last night because the Sens played an awesome defensive game.....any other night Streit would have got in the zone and set things up like he always does. Streit is a valuable person on either of our powerplays. He is fast and has a good offensive mind with the puck....he makes things happen and he also has a super shot from the blueline.

Stop basing the whole season on last nights game!!!!
I don't necessarily agree with the bolded part. In general I think it would fair to argue that when he gets challenged at the blueline he loses quite a bit of his effectiveness. He should be the 5th option for entering the zone on the 1st PP unit. Markov and Kovalev are much better puck handlers and have a higher "panic threshold" if you will, whereas Streit will at times misplay the puck, or just dump it in blindly if he's challenged at the blueline. Going forward teams will surely recognize this and probably pressure him much more often.

That said, he's not a terrible puck handler, and as you pointed out, he can make a crisp, solid entry and either ring the puck around the boards or simply slow down and let things set up. But his strength is still his shot and passing skills rather than puck handling imo.

As for deserving his spot on the 1st unit, I say absolutely. The guy has been key on the PP and as I said his shot, passing and vision are excellent assets and one of the reasons we have the no.1 PP in the league. But I guess the easy way to answer this question is "who should take his spot?" S. Kost? Harmlik? As it stands those would probably be the best options, and to me Streit works better with that 1st unit than those two would.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
  #58
OnePoll*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
say what? i find him to be terrible at this and he rarely keeps the puck in at the point. in fact it's downright scary.
QFT.

Streit is HORRIBLE at keeping the puck at the point, 90 out of 100 times the puck will be cleared.

And the only way he is good at carrying the puck its when he decides the bring the puck in the O zone, by himself, stickhandling true the PK unit. Otherwise, he is downright scary on the PP while carrying the puck, I rarely seen a dump and chase started by Streit works in weeks.

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 04:55 PM
  #59
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

We have the #1 PP in the league and Streit is a huge part of that. We are one of the top teams in the league and Streit has been a big part of that as well

.
while I agree with the fact that he is a bargain at 600 000$ , I disagree with the fact that he is a big, huge part of our pp. If he goes to another team, we'll still have a good pp. (just like sourray)

first of all, hamrlik could play there and my prediction is that the outcome would be the same... : #1 pp in the league.

why? Kovalev, markov.

zone entries are ok, even from streit most of the times... but the pp really sets when kovy or markov has the puck... and that's because they are respected by the opposition... if someone tries to take the puck away from Kovy when he has clear control of the puck, he'll simply and smoothly deke the guy... he creates a lot of space for the other players on the pp. the cross-side pass between markov and kovy is feared, because their technique allows them to receive and give precise, perfect passes to one another... they rarely miss that pass when they do it.

defenses leave more space at the blue line to cover that pass, give up space to kovy... sometimes too much ... and we score. how many times did that happen.

to me... as long as we have kovy and markov along with a growing plek and a kos, we'll be dangerous on the pp...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:01 PM
  #60
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksFan221 View Post
QFT.

Streit is HORRIBLE at keeping the puck at the point, 90 out of 100 times the puck will be cleared.
Where do you watch these habs games that I don't get to see.... You know the 8 out of every 9 games where the puck gets by streit everytime to come up with a stat like this....

Honestly... are you watching the same games....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
  #61
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
But the question is more Do Higgins deserve a place on the PP
Are you joking?

HIGGINS ON MONTREAL CANADIENS POWERPLAY
GOALS: 3rd (10)
ASSISTS: 6th (11)
POINTS: 6th (21)
PP TOI/G: 6th (3:15/g)
PRODUCTION RATE: 4th * approximately 11:00/pt

I cant believe how much people hate Higgins now. Some of our fans are really starting to piss me off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
while I agree with the fact that he is a bargain at 600 000$ , I disagree with the fact that he is a big, huge part of our pp. If he goes to another team, we'll still have a good pp. (just like sourray)

first of all, hamrlik could play there and my prediction is that the outcome would be the same... : #1 pp in the league.

why? Kovalev, markov.

zone entries are ok, even from streit most of the times... but the pp really sets when kovy or markov has the puck... and that's because they are respected by the opposition... if someone tries to take the puck away from Kovy when he has clear control of the puck, he'll simply and smoothly deke the guy... he creates a lot of space for the other players on the pp. the cross-side pass between markov and kovy is feared, because their technique allows them to receive and give precise, perfect passes to one another... they rarely miss that pass when they do it.

defenses leave more space at the blue line to cover that pass, give up space to kovy... sometimes too much ... and we score. how many times did that happen.

to me... as long as we have kovy and markov along with a growing plek and a kos, we'll be dangerous on the pp...
Comparing our PP this year with our PP last year is kind of pointless, considering last year it WAS Souray's PP.. this year it's a team.

As for the rest, Streit is almost as dangerous as Markov.. so when Markov gets in trouble, he can get it to Streit.. who can make just as much happen.

He's not our best offensive player, but with Hamrlik our PP would suffer a little.. not much, but enough to probably put us behind Philly.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-14-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 05:20 PM
  #62
Brass
Registered User
 
Brass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: laurentides
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Are you joking?

HIGGINS ON MONTREAL CANADIENS POWERPLAY
GOALS: 3rd (10)
ASSISTS: 6th (11)
POINTS: 6th (21)
PP TOI/G: 6th (3:15/g)
PRODUCTION RATE: 4th * approximately 11:00/pt

I cant believe how much people hate Higgins now. Some of our fans are really starting to piss me off..
Dude even with the stats you see as me that he isnt the threat he used to be in the past season or earlier this year

and if you think I hate Higgins youre soooooo damn wrong. but we gotta admit that is scoring touch in the last 20 games isnt was its used to be

and Again .. I effin still believe in this guy

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:47 PM
  #63
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Dude even with the stats you see as me that he isnt the threat he used to be in the past season or earlier this year

and if you think I hate Higgins youre soooooo damn wrong. but we gotta admit that is scoring touch in the last 20 games isnt was its used to be

and Again .. I effin still believe in this guy
If you were complaining about his "Scoring Touch" over the past month or so.. two weeks ago, I'd agree.

But he's scored 7 or 8 points in his last 9 or 10 GP...

Like, I just don't understand why people are complaining so much now.. after he's started to turn his game around (offensively).

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 12:09 AM
  #64
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
As long as streit doesn't try and dangle with the puck on the powerplay, meaning entering the zone with the puck or shoot the puck in..keep him on. Those that are giving streit too much credit as him being skillful, does souray come to mind? Streit is a by product of Markov and Kovalev, don't forget that. He is bad when it comes to keeping the puck in the zone, there have been numerous instances where a rush ensues or a goal has been scored. I've watched 90% of the habs games this year so don't bother saying I ain't watching the games. Again, Streit is a By Product of the Habs PP, not the other way around.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 01:14 AM
  #65
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
As long as streit doesn't try and dangle with the puck on the powerplay, meaning entering the zone with the puck or shoot the puck in..keep him on. Those that are giving streit too much credit as him being skillful, does souray come to mind? Streit is a by product of Markov and Kovalev, don't forget that. He is bad when it comes to keeping the puck in the zone, there have been numerous instances where a rush ensues or a goal has been scored. I've watched 90% of the habs games this year so don't bother saying I ain't watching the games. Again, Streit is a By Product of the Habs PP, not the other way around.
You do realize our team has given up the least amount of SHG goals in the league....

If you were right on this point, this stat would certainly not be the case.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 01:17 AM
  #66
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 24,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
You do realize our team has given up the least amount of SHG goals in the league....

If you were right on this point, this stat would certainly not be the case.
SMACK! *Arctichab and Hochelaga fall back in line*

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:52 AM
  #67
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
You do realize our team has given up the least amount of SHG goals in the league....

If you were right on this point, this stat would certainly not be the case.
My point doesn't have anything to do with short handed goals being scored, my point is...when he leads the rush the end result is usually a clean shoot by the opposing team. There have been numerous goal scoring chances because Streit is weak along the boards, and they haven't necessarily resulted in a goal. they have led to hooking penalties more often than not.

Take a closer look when he skates with the Puck on the PP into the offensive zone.

The only players I would want to lead the rush are Markov, Kovalev, Plekanec and as well Kostitsyn because those four are capable of doing so without getting the PP out of sync.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.