HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions: The Positives in Last Night's Loss to the Sens

Old
03-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Opinions: The Positives in Last Night's Loss to the Sens

After listening to the radio call-in shows, it seems that opinions are about evenly divided as to whether this latest loss to Ottawa was a serious occurance or not.

Personally, I am almost happy that they lost...

... for the reason that it is important that this young team be knocked quickly off any high horse that they may be on.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Hab fan and always want them to win...

But at this stage of team develpment... I think it is very productive for them to not be overconfident.

Winning against strong NHL teams is damn hard to do, and it is preferable that these 20-something's learn it now than in the playoffs.

Besides.... who really wants to see the team peak in March?

and home ice advantage? bah!

The Habs are great on the road... maybe even better than at home.

Any thoughts on lesson's learned last night?

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Namso

I think this was good reality check not only for the players but for the fans as well. Seriously we were becoming just like how Sens fans were at the beginning of the year: arrogant and cocky.

I think this loss will make the team stronger, just like the 6-1 loss to the sens did earlier.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

I think you're right because you could see the Habs at the practice the day before the game with big smiles on their faces looking extremely confident, and it turned out that they were overconfident and didn't put all the necessary efforts to win that game, like they did against NJ. That lost was a slap in the face. I hope they take it as a lesson and move on.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:11 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
I think this was good reality check not only for the players but for the fans as well. Seriously we were becoming just like how Sens fans were at the beginning of the year: arrogant and cocky.

I think this loss will make the team stronger, just like the 6-1 loss to the sens did earlier.
Am I the only who believes they have no reason at all to be overly confident? How often has our team came out and beat two strong teams after one another? It seems like every time we beat a top tier team, the confidence is oozing from the locker room and we lose the next game. You go into last night 1-4 against the Sens, and thats what you come out with? Thats pretty pathetic, sure Gerber was hot... But you have to play smarter then that.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:18 AM
MathMan

What Montreal needs to do next game is dress Begin (who hopefully will be healed up), put him on a line with Lapierre and Kostopoulos, and use them at the start.

Then tell them to hit the Sens every chance they get. No offense, no looking for goal, just hit them. Treat them with the contempt they deserve, not with fearful respect they haven't earned. Set the tone early, and have everyone follow. The rule should be to hit them, and hit them hard, every chance they get.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:24 AM
otto bond

on the bright side, we played the sen teamed up with the reffs. The linemans were pure bonus!

Not to say we would had won but for many teams or games I should say where won by reffs. They have been stealing the show ala baseball.
Reff have one of the hardest job(It's hard to call a penalty to a team that they cheer for)
They have to be a bit more accountable. I don't want a Basketball issue to come up in Hockey because all I want is a fair game, win or lose.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Bloggins

One positive is that many Habs fans will be sporting new "Senator fan designed" avatars for a week.

Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
After listening to the radio call-in shows, it seems that opinions are about evenly divided as to whether this latest loss to Ottawa was a serious occurance or not.

... for the reason that it is important that this young team be knocked quickly off any high horse that they may be on.

But at this stage of team develpment... I think it is very productive for them to not be overconfident.

Winning against strong NHL teams is damn hard to do, and it is preferable that these 20-something's learn it now than in the playoffs.

I don't thinik there are any lessons learned or anything technically wrong last night. The Habs seem to get bogged down with Ottawa's boring style the same as they once did against New Jersey, they fell behind early on a fluky goal and then too many guys tried to play individually and it got worse. Maybe tring too hard to impress the crowd.

That being said, as crappy as the Habs played they were in the game until the end, and Ottawa scored some pretty fluky goals, I thought the 2nd should not have counted, on the replay I saw Spetza's stick was clearly above the crossbar.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
on the bright side, we played the sen teamed up with the reffs. The linemans were pure bonus!

Not to say we would had won but for many teams or games I should say where won by reffs. They have been stealing the show ala baseball.
Reff have one of the hardest job(It's hard to call a penalty to a team that they cheer for)
They have to be a bit more accountable. I don't want a Basketball issue to come up in Hockey because all I want is a fair game, win or lose.

In the last couple of games we are laready starting to see the refs call less and less.Weather we like it or not,come playoff time it's going to be called the same way therefore I hope we start playing some better 5 on 5 hockey

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:39 AM
SP

Quote:

My friend, if that game stood out as one with uneven officiating, you've had a VERY good run recently with the referees.

I'd say damn near every team has had significantly worse refereeing against their team than that in the past month.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Namso

Quote:

Good teams overcome officiating, no excuse. If ur looking for excuses you can find 1001 of them everywhere and if that makes you happy then so be it, but championship teams dont look for excuses.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
My friend, if that game stood out as one with uneven officiating, you've had a VERY good run recently with the referees.

I'd say damn near every team has had significantly worse refereeing against their team than that in the past month.
that is sadly true.
It's not just the Habs game.
It more and more as of late. Team are gonna miss playoff cause of this bad reffs.
I want to watch a good league with good reff.
the other day, i heard a comment on tv from someone I can't remember. I was discuss by earing him say some thing like if you want a perfect game, the score will be low.
Well I rather have a 1-0 game well reffed then a 7-5 game with blown calls.

Old
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Russeltown

Moral Victories are for Bruins, not us!

This is almost a Bruins Trade-mark...

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:53 AM
CanadienErrant*

Being blanked on your own ice in front of the "most supportive hockey fans in the NHL": unacceptable !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:58 AM
ToysInTheAttic

The games against the Sens and Ducks showed that the Habs can play against these elite teams, but they cannot finish against them. They'll have to step it up a notch. Overall, I'm pleased with the season the Habs are having. I certainly don't think we can blame the refs for losing against these teams.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
The Fuhr*

One positive is that the small skilled forwards the Habs have showed that they could play in a meaningful game.

Sure they did not produce and were invisible for most of the night but at least they were able to participate in the game for 60 minutes.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:05 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Good teams overcome officiating, no excuse. If ur looking for excuses you can find 1001 of them everywhere and if that makes you happy then so be it, but championship teams dont look for excuses.
I'm not looking for excuses but wanting better fairness.That's all

And to add that the habs have overcome unfairness reffering for like 99 years.
The Rocket come to mind.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
You're right. Championship Teams (Anahein, Detroit,Carolina hammer the refs verbally non stop until the effect is the calls start going their way)

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:06 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
One positive is that the small skilled forwards the Habs have showed that they could play in a meaningful game.

Sure they did not produce and were invisible for most of the night but at least they were able to participate in the game for 60 minutes.
an other positive for Ottawa was their goaltending. but it want last

Old
03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
You're right. Championship Teams (Anahein, Detroit,Carolina hammer the refs verbally non stop until the effect is the calls start going their way)
Carolina never had the suport from the ref. Just look at the serie vs MTL.

Old
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
If anyone DARES question, look to Brian Burke when he was the Canuck's GM complaining about Detroit always having 2-3 players talk to the referees about calls instead of just the Captain, and then look at what his Ducks will do: The very same thing. I bet if it was Burke's way he'd put a C on Neidermayer, Pronger, Bertuzzi, Perry and Getzlaf's jerseys, that way he has an excuse.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Guillemin

Decent physical play, except for in front of the net on the PK. My GOD Obie and Hammer need to clear the front of the net.

Everything else was bad.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:

I have to agree....i was kinda happy to our squad get hammered by Ottawa BEFORE the play-offs....now we have a better idea of what they are gonna bring to a table...

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Corey

Quote:

This thread offends me. I didn't see any benefits. You're a typical masochist. You can't take pleasure in winning and you can't be disappointed about losing. Don't you realize this game was important to the Habs' chances? Before the Habs can take their lessons learned into the playoffs they have to get into them and better yet to get a high seeding. Get your priorities straight next time you post.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
The games against the Sens and Ducks showed that the Habs can play against these elite teams, but they cannot finish against them. They'll have to step it up a notch. Overall, I'm pleased with the season the Habs are having. I certainly don't think we can blame the refs for losing against these teams.
You think that because the Habs weren't slaughtered (except for the February game against the Sens) that they played well? The idea is to win. They failed.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote