HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions: The Positives in Last Night's Loss to the Sens

Old
03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
One positive is that the small skilled forwards the Habs have showed that they could play in a meaningful game.

Sure they did not produce and were invisible for most of the night but at least they were able to participate in the game for 60 minutes.
Are you looking for consolation in the fact that the game ran to the end and the Habs didn't have to be wheeled out on gurneys? Boston wins games against Ottawa. Toronto wins games against Ottawa. Washington swept their games against Ottawa.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
You're right. Championship Teams (Anahein, Detroit,Carolina hammer the refs verbally non stop until the effect is the calls start going their way)

So why doesn't Carbonneau's constant whining help the Habs get favorable calls?
Actually, I disagree with the line of thought in this thread. I can recall lots of them this season, such as opponents' goals being disallowed, phantom hooking penalties that give the Habs 5-on-3 PPs in the 3rd period, etc. Maurice Richard has nothing to do with it. Today's officials weren't even born when The Rocket played.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I have to agree....i was kinda happy to our squad get hammered by Ottawa BEFORE the play-offs....now we have a better idea of what they are gonna bring to a table...
You mean the 6-1 plastering last month wasn't enough of a lesson? It had to be repeated?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Habitant#1

The Habs are learning to win IMO.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:29 AM
dutchy29

I think the issue is not the loss itself but the fact that we havent figured out a good strategy in beating this team (Ottawa) Its cause for concern because they are a division rival and high probability of meeting us in the playoffs. If its nerves, or strategy or whatever Guy needs to identify this and then address it.
On paper theres no reason we cant beat these guys. Nothing more frustrating than losing to the same team over and over again. Now we know how the Bruins feel.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Ottawa was just countering everything we threw at them and you could see the boys getting discouraged. Then they had to deal with going down 2-0 on a lucky bounce for Spezza. Things like that can really bring a team down fast.

I thought they turned it on a bit in the third but Gerber was on his game last night and shut us down.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:41 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
Ottawa was just countering everything we threw at them and you could see the boys getting discouraged. Then they had to deal with going down 2-0 on a lucky bounce for Spezza. Things like that can really bring a team down fast.

I thought they turned it on a bit in the third but Gerber was on his game last night and shut us down.
Yep fair enough, Does that mean Carbo got outcoached by Murray? the thought of that sickens me. And I'm not sure about Spezza'a second goal I only saw it once, but it seemed to me he needed quite a bit of hand to eye coordination to put that on net.
Gerber did play really well, he looked big, I kept wondering when we were going to try something else beside going 5 hole.
Another note, Ottawa doesnt deserve Gerber playing that well. I think he was severly mis-handled in the Emery incident.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So why doesn't Carbonneau's constant whining help the Habs get favorable calls?
Actually, I disagree with the line of thought in this thread. I can recall lots of them this season, such as opponents' goals being disallowed, phantom hooking penalties that give the Habs 5-on-3 PPs in the 3rd period, etc. Maurice Richard has nothing to do with it. Today's officials weren't even born when The Rocket played.
Thank god for Carbo and his "constant whinning". Someone has to hold these refs accountable. I would hate to see what the games would look like otherwise.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Mike Lalor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
The Habs are learning to win IMO.
EXACTLY. i actually thought the game would have ended up with mtl winning 3-0. they are playing more and more like a team who believes in themselves. last night it didnt seem that way. they will get over these hurdles one team at a time. NJ was a big one. they almost did it against anaheim.

Mike Lalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:25 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
What Montreal needs to do next game is dress Begin (who hopefully will be healed up), put him on a line with Lapierre and Kostopoulos, and use them at the start.

Then tell them to hit the Sens every chance they get. No offense, no looking for goal, just hit them. Treat them with the contempt they deserve, not with fearful respect they haven't earned. Set the tone early, and have everyone follow. The rule should be to hit them, and hit them hard, every chance they get.
x1

freakin' hit them , their first line too ... how come komi does not squeeze them on the board like lemons? Obyrne , hamrlik? bouillon? god .

they are the ones responsible for our losses against the sens... they always give up more than 3 goals... and its not our goalie's fault...

both spezza goals should have been prevented... the first one because he went in front of carey, and nobody made it difficult for him to deflect the puck...

2nd one... same thing, always arround our goalie... he has time to hit the flippin' puck in the air without any opposition.

if we are to win against these teams, we're going to have to use ALL our qualities.. and that means .... hard, heavy hits on their top forwards

I don't care if we lose, but seeing spezza's happy face right next to carey had me going beserk.

Can someone hit the guy?! sens top players are made out of porcelain ... very talented, but weak and fragile. * except neil . what are the other top teams doing to our forwards? they hit them. We should do exactly the same.

we have the potential of playing well in offense, with speed, while our defenders hit their forwards ... I mean, how hard is that?

its just nonsense to me when I see komi trying to take the puck gently from aflie or heatley ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:30 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post

I don't care if we lose, but seeing spezza's happy face right next to carey had me going beserk.
I guess i'm not the only one who notices his stupid smiles.. Uh this guy pisses me off, him and his Jubilee Jewelers commercials.. I want to ***** slap him!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Better With Age*

Hockey is sometimes a game of bounces. Spezza scored off a lucky bounce from behind the nest. Vermette scored off a lucky bounce too. Montreal had chances and unlucky bounces. Hockey is just like that sometimes. Take our game against New Jersey. We played well, but not 4-0 well.

Ottawa played very tight defensively and it was effective. It would be interesting to see if, in a 7 game series, Carbonneau could outcoach Murray system wise and find a way to exploit this one line team.

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
oli500

As I said in another post experience plays a big role in the montreal ottawa games. People forget how much more experience the sens have as a group. I love the talent are young players have. Once they have a bit more experience I think will be able to handle teams like ottawa and the ones that are out west. Its not like we were grosly outplayed. Gerber was fantastic. If it wasent for him the score would of been alot closer. Im not that scared of Ottawa. In a 7 game series I think we could match up againts them.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
As I said in another post experience plays a big role in the montreal ottawa games. People forget how much more experience the sens have as a group. I love the talent are young players have. Once they have a bit more experience I think will be able to handle teams like ottawa and the ones that are out west. Its not like we were grosly outplayed. Gerber was fantastic. If it wasent for him the score would of been alot closer. Im not that scared of Ottawa. In a 7 game series I think we could match up againts them.
Problem is we don't get outplayed that badly, we always get ruined by the same 3 guys.. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson.. If our guys stepped up and roughed these guys up a bit, they wouldn't dance around us without fear like they currently do.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:18 PM
#44_delivers

better now than later are my sentimates about last nights game, it could have easily been 0-0 heading to the third i don't blame price at all, it's a loss and were learning how to win, WE are now a STREAKY team at least.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers View Post
better now than later are my sentimates about last nights game, it could have easily been 0-0 heading to the third i don't blame price at all, it's a loss and were learning how to win, WE are NOT a STREAKY team at least.
EDIT...

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Decent physical play, except for in front of the net on the PK. My GOD Obie and Hammer need to clear the front of the net.

Everything else was bad.
yeah I agree our defenceman are giving a free ride to the opposition in front of our net especially on the pk but not just. it's pretty sad the front of the net is suppose to be a tough place to go. routinely opposing players are behind our defenders within sticks length unmarked.
at the other end of the rink our players stand beside the goalie instead of in front of him.

the only positive i saw was how we played in the last 10 minutes when we actually played with some emotion and passion. if the team played this way for 60 minutes the outcome most likely would have been different although they bounces didn't seem to be going our way or so it seemed.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
I guess i'm not the only one who notices his stupid smiles.. Uh this guy pisses me off, him and his Jubilee Jewelers commercials.. I want to ***** slap him!
I'll get neil's attention distracted by saying he has been adopted... it should give you a 4-5 seconds window before my death ... but don't you miss him!

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
mcphee

Ottawa has a lot of foprwards who are instictively good in their own end. I'd imagine they don't al;ways take advantage of that ability or their recore or goals against would be better. They closed things down last night very well. This is a mtl weakness and only time will improve this.

For all the comments about not hitting, not playing hard, Ottawa won on 2 point shots. One was defelected and one took a weird path to the net. Mtl had as many point shots, but nothing went in. 5 on 5, while the score was close, Ottawa wasn't dominating them. Some of our young shifty forwards had off nights, got a bit too cute.

Montreal just isn't at the point where they feel they can beat Ottawa yet.

When Alfreddson is in the lineup and on his game, he's as productive as any forward in the league though not as spectacular. Ottawa, despite the issues this year, are a battle tested team, and they're a favorite until someone beats them.

This is a key year for them. They may be top heavy in terms of salary and it'll be interesting to see where they stand a few years down the road.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote