HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Job/study in financial field

Old
04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
marchabsfan

vCash: 500
OT: Job/study in financial field

Hey guys,

I'd like an advice from people in the industry or in the know...

I'm in my last year of a bacc. en administration des affaires (BAA). in fact,, im doing right now a certificat in planification financiere (it's part of my BAA), maybe to have the official IQPF rights (to have the pl.fin. designation). I am also thinking about getting the first level CFA (chartered financial analyst, more investment wise).

What would you guys value more? What's worth more ? Should I get the 2 to a better cv ? What kind of pay can I expect out of the school?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks and go habs go for tonight.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Depends on what kind of job you want to do. All those things look good on a CV, but personally I would do them only if I can gain something from it, from an educational perspective.

I know hedge and mutual funds like to see you did at least your first level CFA. But really, it can give you a false sense of knowing what you're doing. It can get complicated when stock picking is actually simple. Notice I said simple btw, not easy.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

http://www.payscale.com/mypayscale.aspx
http://swz.salary.com/csalarywizard/..._newsearch.asp

This is gonna be a lot more accurate than what a bunch of hockey fans on the Interweb will have to say about it.

Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
marchabsfan

kevin,
I have to admit I have a hard time choosing about the two "fields"...one's (pl.fin) is more one-to-one client oriented, I even have a fantasy where I would start my own little pl.fin consulting company (travailleur autonome)...
I also like a LOT stock markets...I like to research, make predictions, etc.

Thanks for the links Stewart. I will check them out but I also value info. from people that may be in the business actually...

Old
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
kevin,
I have to admit I have a hard time choosing about the two "fields"...one's (pl.fin) is more one-to-one client oriented, I even have a fantasy where I would start my own little pl.fin consulting company (travailleur autonome)...
I also like a LOT stock markets...I like to research, make predictions, etc.

Thanks for the links Stewart. I will check them out but I also value info. from people that may be in the business actually...
Really, it depends on what you want to do, that's the hard facts of life when you get to university. Just remind yourself that if you do make a mistake, it's not the end of the world and you can still go back.

And you know, starting up your little consulting firm isn't a fantasy, it's mostly hard work and accepting you could fail. I know what you mean also about the Market, but even in stocks, you have so many different possible jobs and techniques.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
CenterHice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
Hey guys,

I'd like an advice from people in the industry or in the know...

I'm in my last year of a bacc. en administration des affaires (BAA). in fact,, im doing right now a certificat in planification financiere (it's part of my BAA), maybe to have the official IQPF rights (to have the pl.fin. designation). I am also thinking about getting the first level CFA (chartered financial analyst, more investment wise).

What would you guys value more? What's worth more ? Should I get the 2 to a better cv ? What kind of pay can I expect out of the school?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks and go habs go for tonight.
The one course ALL employers look for in the financial field is the Canadian Securities Course, yu can sign up online and it is an at home course you just have to book an exam time when you are ready. I suggest you do it soon as you probably know most of the stuff already.

Oh and I am in the industry and have been for about 15 years. I used to work on the MSE floor and just about cried when it closed.

CenterHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:02 PM
CenterHice

And as for starting salary if you want to work for a firm then you will probably start as an assistant to an advisor ~30k and once you pass the in house courses you are free to sign up your own clients and then salary is unlimited.

Also, if you can trade then for 25k you can trade for yourself right out of the gate.

Depends on which way you want to go.

Mutual fund advisors get trailer fees which is steady money but not as much potential for increases.

It all depends if you want security or earnings potential, let me know.

CenterHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterHice View Post
The one course ALL employers look for in the financial field is the Canadian Securities Course, yu can sign up online and it is an at home course you just have to book an exam time when you are ready. I suggest you do it soon as you probably know most of the stuff already.

Oh and I am in the industry and have been for about 15 years. I used to work on the MSE floor and just about cried when it closed.
yup my friend I have the "fonds dinvestissement" course by the old icb (now affiliated with csi), it is the equivalent of the csc. i also did the CAT (technical analysis course) from CSI, really interesting stuff