HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we try to acquire Ryan Smyth....

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Habruti!

vCash: 500
Should we try to acquire Ryan Smyth....

I am wondering if MTL should try to land Ryna Smyth. Seems from various rumors out of Edmonton that he would be available for the right price. Edmonton would be looking at prospects mostly. Perhaps we could do a Hossa++ for Smyth type of deal. I think that this guy would perform very well in MTL and he is the type of guy we need....

Or perhaps a package arround Plekanek would interrest edmonton (plek had good chemistry with hemsky in the world juniors).

Smyth, Koivu, Ryder would be quite a good line IMO

Old
02-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Le depisteur

Absolutely... but without giving one of them:
Koivu
Ribeiro
Ryder
Zednik
Bulis
Souray
Komisarek
Kastsitsyn
Perezhogin
Balej
Higgins
and Bonneau

Ok for Hossa, Hainsey and others... and perhaps even Plecanek...

My offer:
Markov + Hossa + 3rd
for
Smyth

Old
02-03-2004, 01:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
I agree Smyth would look terrific in a Habs jersey...but it would probably take one of our blue chip prospects (Hossa, Hainsey, Plek), and a player like Bulis or Sundstrom.

I'd do it though...Smyth is what we need (a power forward who crashes the net and who can score).

Old
02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
for sure, Smyth is exactly the type of player we need. The prolem is however he wont go for cheap, because there will be alot of demand for him around the league.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how old Smyth is

If hes around 25 or 26 i say we really go for it, if 28 or older i say forget it. If we get a guy whos gona be here long term than he has to be 26 or younger, if older it should be a renta player for the playoffs who wont cost much in terms of prospects/draft picks.

Peace!

Old
02-03-2004, 01:34 PM
oli500

I think we would be able to land smyth but if we want two land smyth out of edmonton its probably going take a package with komisarek in it. Kevin Low loved Komisarek before the draft. he had his eyes all over him before we stole him from edmonton in the draft. Thats the type of player edmonton is going to want so I wouldent do the trade. Instead of going after smyth and given komisarek I would go after Jeff oneil who is the same age as smyth and would probably cause us a cheaper prospect like plekanec and something else.

Old
02-03-2004, 01:51 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur
Absolutely... but without giving one of them:
Koivu
Ribeiro
Ryder
Zednik
Bulis
Souray
Komisarek
Kastsitsyn
Perezhogin
Balej
Higgins
and Bonneau

Ok for Hossa, Hainsey and others... and perhaps even Plecanek...

My offer:
Markov + Hossa + 3rd
for
Smyth
Yikes! too steep!

I think we have to use Comrie as a measuring post here....(he was dealt for Woywitka and a 1st)

Smyth
Hossa and a 1st

or...

Smyth
Hainsey and a 1st

Smyth probably has more value than Comrie, but our 1st Round pick will be higher than Philly's.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Smyth turns 28 late this month.

I would love to see the habs acquire Smyth, but like most others think that the price tag might be more than we should be willing to pay.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
for sure, Smyth is exactly the type of player we need. The prolem is however he wont go for cheap, because there will be alot of demand for him around the league.

If hes around 25 or 26 i say we really go for it, if 28 or older i say forget it. If we get a guy whos gona be here long term than he has to be 26 or younger, if older it should be a renta player for the playoffs who wont cost much in terms of prospects/draft picks.

Peace!
Smyth can play at a top level for another 6-7 years, at least. There's doesn't seem to be a marked drop off in skills at 30 anymore, like you would have seen in the past. In my opinion, that's good enough. While I agree that we should basically build through the draft, an acquisition or two that would provide us with reliable offense, toughness, and veteran leadership would accelerate our rebuilding process and make us a team to deal with in the present. Smyth would provide all three of these elements. If he's available, I would trade a top prospect to get him (except, perhaps, for Komisarek and Kastsitsyn).

Old
02-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
I am wondering if MTL should try to land Ryna Smyth. Seems from various rumors out of Edmonton that he would be available for the right price. Edmonton would be looking at prospects mostly. Perhaps we could do a Hossa++ for Smyth type of deal. I think that this guy would perform very well in MTL and he is the type of guy we need....

Or perhaps a package arround Plekanek would interrest edmonton (plek had good chemistry with hemsky in the world juniors).

Smyth, Koivu, Ryder would be quite a good line IMO
Hasn't Smyth had a series of serious injuries in the past few seasons? If there's something we don't need in Montreal it's another small forward that will avoid traffic as soon as he gets in Montreal because he's afraid to get injured and at 6'1, 190lbs Smyth is surely not big.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:11 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
pass, quick fix that would hurt the teams rebuilding and long term goals

Old
02-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
Yikes! too steep!

I think we have to use Comrie as a measuring post here....(he was dealt for Woywitka and a 1st)

Smyth
Hossa and a 1st

or...

Smyth
Hainsey and a 1st

Smyth probably has more value than Comrie, but our 1st Round pick will be higher than Philly's.
Agree this is too steep of a price. Markov may not have a great season, regardless of that he has quite a good value IMO. He still is one of our best dmen and I would even had that he was better last year then Souray this year. For such a package I would be looking for Brewer and Smyth.

Now Edmonton will only deal Smyth in return of a young guy either prospect of promissing young talent. I would not trade Ryder, Bulis, Ribeiro, Koivu but Zednik well lets say I am not fully convinced yet. If the price was Plekanek and 1st or Hossa and 2nd then I would do it in a blink assuming that there would be a salary increase on the team. So idealy we would need to get rid of a guy like Dackell to afford Smith...So my proposal would be Dackell and Hossa for Smyth. If the price is higher then what the heck...its not worth it as many of you pointed out.

Old
02-03-2004, 04:55 PM
The Power Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Hasn't Smyth had a series of serious injuries in the past few seasons? If there's something we don't need in Montreal it's another small forward that will avoid traffic as soon as he gets in Montreal because he's afraid to get injured and at 6'1, 190lbs Smyth is surely not big.
I agree with you.Smith is a good but he shouldn't be the type of player on our priority list.Especially if we need to give big for him , we better keep our tradable players to get a big bad bulldozer kind of player because that's what we REALLY need , not another soft forward.

Old
02-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Power Forward
I agree with you.Smith is a good but he shouldn't be the type of player on our priority list.Especially if we need to give big for him , we better keep our tradable players to get a big bad bulldozer kind of player because that's what we REALLY need , not another soft forward.

Ryan Smyth aint a soft forward.
I'd definetly give something good for him, but forget it, why would Edmonton ask less then Komisarek, Kevin Lowe loves the guy.

Old
02-03-2004, 05:13 PM
The Power Forward

Soft forward maybe not but he is not a Power either.

Komi for him ??? No thanks

Old
02-03-2004, 05:26 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Soft forward maybe not but he is not a Power either.

Komi for him ??? No thanks
Smyth is a PF...

Old
02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
The Power Forward

Well , let's say that he is a semi - PF because he is certainly not in the same league of guys like Bertuzzi , Tkatchuk , Guerin , Leclair ect ect ect , he is slightly below that.

I consider him in the same category as Peter Forsberg , not in term of talent but in term of not being a pure PF.

That's my opinion eventually

Last edited by The Power Forward: 02-03-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old
02-03-2004, 05:41 PM
habitants9_4

I was thinking this:
Hossa, Hainsey, 2nd and 2nd
for Smyth and Bergeron

Old
02-03-2004, 05:44 PM
KILLger

Quote:
Well , let's say that he is a semi - PF because he is certainly not in the same league of guys like Bertuzzi , Tkatchuk , Guerin , Leclair ect ect ect , he is slightly below that.

I consider him in the same category as Peter Forsberg , not in term of talent but in term of being a pure PF.

That's my opinion eventually
Still, that's exactly the type of player we should be looking to add to the present roster. He's still fairly young at 27.

His playoff stats are also interesting.

Old
02-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Ryan Smyth is certainly big. And he plays a power game. He's about the best forward in the league when it comes to playing in traffic, and no amount of injuries will deter him from doing so.

Some of the comments I've read in this thread about Smyth make me wonder who you all are watching.

Old
02-03-2004, 05:47 PM
KILLger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Ryan Smyth is certainly big. And he plays a power game. He's about the best forward in the league when it comes to playing in traffic, and no amount of injuries will deter him from doing so.

Some of the comments I've read in this thread about Smyth make me wonder who you all are watching.
Haven't seen Smyth lately eh? He plays a similar game to Chow's... :p

I guess habs fan are worried about getting some help because of past experiences (Berezin, Czerkawski, Audette).

Old
02-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:

Zednik's 6'1 196lbs. Do you see him as a big power forward? Also, Saku Koivu plays an aggressive game like Ryan Smyth and is good in traffic and injury prone, does that make him a power forward or a big player?

Old
02-03-2004, 05:55 PM
FacelessButcher

As an Oiler fan I don't agree with the term power forward either when talking about Smyth he will drive to the net with determination and take a beating doing it but he does not really overpower or knock opponents on their butts like you would expect a power forward to do, he just squirms through checks and pockets a lot of garbage goals through determination and being very opportunistic (is good at being a pest for the opposition goalie,excellent on deflections, and has under-rated playmaking ability to his credit aswell).

edit: Oh yeah where did you guys here Lowe like Komisarek because I have yet to hear it of course without a doubt he'd like a big highly skilled defenseman as would anyone but I have heard nothing of him being particularly fond of him over the next big highly skilled d-man.

Last edited by FacelessButcher: 02-03-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old
02-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Zednik's 6'1 196lbs. Do you see him as a big power forward? Also, Saku Koivu plays an aggressive game like Ryan Smyth and is good in traffic and injury prone, does that make him a power forward or a big player?
I'm being a little redundant here as I've said it numerous times, but here goes: listed size means nothing. How one's body is proportioned and how much muscle and bodyfat levels one has is of absolute importance in determining how capable a player is of playing a physical game.

Smyth may be listed at 6'1, 190lbs, but he looks like he's 6'2 210lbs. There's not a chance Zednik is the same height as Smyth. Smyth has a wide, thick frame, and he looks similar to Andreychuk in front of the net (Andreychuk is upwards of 6'3 225lbs). Smyth's at his best when he's parked in front of the net, and he's one of the toughest players in the league to move from the crease.

Smyth isn't necessarily an overly aggressive or fiery player like Koivu is. He's just big, strong, and a thick body presence that thrives in traffic. And most importantly, he understands his role and plays it extremely well.

By the way, I didn't say he was a power forward. I said he played a power game.

Old
02-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

The biggest difference between Smyth and Zednik, is Smyth plays bigger than Zednik, and with more grit and with more intensity. Its funny because people consider 5-11 Brendan Morrow a power forward. Smyth is twice the player Zednik is, he can actually pass, and be used in any situation. He drives to the net, while Zednik usually goes around opponents. He hammers guys into the boards while Zednik tends to slash, or tie the man up. Its a little weird how people call him injury prone. He has missed 37 games over the last 5 years, sorry the injury prone comments are ridiculous.

Old
02-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:
I'm being a little redundant here as I've said it numerous times, but here goes: listed size means nothing. How one's body is proportioned and how much muscle and bodyfat levels one has is of absolute importance in determining how capable a player is of playing a physical game.

Smyth may be listed at 6'1, 190lbs, but he looks like he's 6'2 210lbs. There's not a chance Zednik is the same height as Smyth. Smyth has a wide, thick frame, and he looks similar to Andreychuk in front of the net (Andreychuk is upwards of 6'3 225lbs). Smyth's at his best when he's parked in front of the net, and he's one of the toughest players in the league to move from the crease.
The difference between the two guys is that Zednik has an incredible amount of lower body strength. When he's on his game, he carries defensemen on his back. I agree with you that Smyth has a wide thick frame but in hockey that doesn't count as much as lower body strength.

Closed Thread